Thoughts on the NEW Dining Options starting Sept 14, 2024

mikjr

11 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

I work in a restaurant as a server and do not like guests who show up within minutes of closing usually the kitchen is already closing down so we push for them to order right away and service is rushed so I cam understand where the staff is coming at when you get people showing up at the end of service.

I disagree completely. Princess publishes hours that the MDR is open. These are the hours when you can arrive and be seated - not the hours when they chase you out. If Princess did not want you to arrive during that last half hour, then they should publish a closing time a half hour earlier. Anyone who arrives during the posted open hours should have the same service. It should not be the passenger's responsibility to know how much earlier than the posted time to arrive.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm all at sea.  What is an MTCL?  

It is a comment about the number of complaints that some raise to the officers at the most traveled luncheon. 

The last one I was at a few months ago had one person at the table we were at complaining about dining room operations. The officer at our table had nothing to do with dining room operations. He was the Chief Engineer.

One can run into good tables with good conversations, but it often goes the other way.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

I disagree completely. Princess publishes hours that the MDR is open. These are the hours when you can arrive and be seated - not the hours when they chase you out. If Princess did not want you to arrive during that last half hour, then they should publish a closing time a half hour earlier. Anyone who arrives during the posted open hours should have the same service. It should not be the passenger's responsibility to know how much earlier than the posted time to arrive.

From chatting with the head of hotel operations a few years ago he said that they normally  plan dining room  operations with the expectation of 2 hours. Thus early traditional at 5 and late at 730. 2 hours for dining and 30 minutes to reset for late dining.

While the anytime dining  is open for arrivals until 9pm the kitchen as I understand it closes down around 10pm.  Atleast that is what I was told in a conversation with one of the chefs last year on the Island. When we were talking about the northen lights the night before and if he got a chance to get outside to see them. A bit later than the old TD system.  So the later one arrives the more it cuts into that 2 hour expectation. I would expect someone showing up just before 9 to be a bit rushed,not so much at 8 15.

One item that is unclear from the discussion is the volume of other diners. The sense of urgency might also depend upon the number of people in that period as well as other factors.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Anyone who arrives during the posted open hours should have the same service. It should not be the passenger's responsibility to know how much earlier than the posted time to arrive.

That's very true but what about consideration for those crew that have to work beyond their daily work schedule? Just because it's posted that you can do it, doesn't make it right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 555 said:

That's very true but what about consideration for those crew that have to work beyond their daily work schedule? Just because it's posted that you can do it, doesn't make it right. 

What makes you think crew have to work past their daily work schedule. The posted closing time is the time they close the doors to new diners - it is not the time they schedule the crew to take off. See the previous post by @TRLD for details of the scheduling.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

What makes you think crew have to work past their daily work schedule. The posted closing time is the time they close the doors to new diners - it is not the time they schedule the crew to take off. See the previous post by @TRLD for details of the scheduling.

I suppose that's one way to interpret it. 😑

• Haha 2

On 4/17/2024 at 11:27 AM, doghog said:

Why the Sun. The post I quoted was about the Ruby?

I have no idea what the MDR published hours were for the three MDRs on the Enchanted. We had 6:PM reservations every night for DMW. Same table. That was all I needed to know.  Sometimes we'd show up a little earlier, but never later than 6:PM. When we left between 7 and 7:15 PM there was always a long line that filled the entrance and extentened up the staircase.  

The Sun because it is the one ship that is running the new system, in a topic about the new system.

On 4/17/2024 at 5:30 PM, TRLD said:

It is a comment about the number of complaints that some raise to the officers at the most traveled luncheon. 

The last one I was at a few months ago had one person at the table we were at complaining about dining room operations. The officer at our table had nothing to do with dining room operations. He was the Chief Engineer.

One can run into good tables with good conversations, but it often goes the other way.

This was our experience too at the last two weattende.  Maybe we got bad tables but there was a couple each time that just went on and on about what Princess does or is doing wrong and nothing positive.  Felt sorry for the officers both times.

I have been the one that walks in at 1 PM on embarkation day (I was running late/doors closed at 1:30).  We did order on time and had a nice lunch.  The staff was very patient with the person I was dining with/slow eater.  They did actually have to ask us to leave so they could set up the tables for dinner before the staff was released.

Another friend/another cruise, got on board late.  Tried to get into the MDR on embarkation day at 1:30....denied.

On another cruise/another evening, we had a very longer than/later than usual dinner.  Our group of 6 were the last in the dining room.  The staff was cleaning menus and "polishing silver".  I encouraged the group to move on.  

A regular day allows the wait staff to have about 90 minutes off before they are required to report back to the MDR (3 ish to 4:30 ish).  They work very very hard and I do fill guilty about lolly-gagging in the MDR when there are other places you can socialize.  Self appointed guilt.

• Like 3

Just spitballin' here, but it wouldn't surprise me if whichever MDR is designated for Traditional Dining ends up having fewer diners show up in flip-flops, ball caps and shorts.  Further, on Formal Night it might look, dare I say it, a tad more formal there. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Not been on Princess since 2017 when we had Traditional Dining.
We are sailing September 1st, so before the new set up is rolled out. 
I want to book a dining room as close as possible to our room in the Aft of the ship.

I have read that Ceilo is on Deck 6 which is one deck down.

How do I book, I’ve  searched and can’t find how to book.

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Not been on Princess since 2017 when we had Traditional Dining.
We are sailing September 1st, so before the new set up is rolled out. 
I want to book a dining room as close as possible to our room in the Aft of the ship.

I have read that Ceilo is on Deck 6 which is one deck down.

How do I book, I’ve  searched and can’t find how to book.

Try the web site.

Log into your account, page welcoming you has a tag suggesting using the web site. So far very useful but everything may change before we cruise.

On 4/15/2024 at 9:40 PM, mikjr said:

From what I read, the only change I noticed was the difference between Anytime Dining options will now be in separate dining rooms based on whether you have a Reservation OR you are a Walk in with NO reservation.   REZ use one dining room exclusively; NO REZ uses another dining exclusively.  Traditional dining will remain the same.  

I guess my question is, will you be able to reserve the SAME TIME for every day of your cruise, using the APP??   

Yes, the plan is to separate the three dining options into their own DR.  That said, DROs will be able to adjust and send overflows to under-utilized DR's.

Yes, DMW is still going to allow guests to book the same time for all days - subject to availability of times when you book.  However, please understand that DMW never could and will not be blocking you into the same table and wait staff each night.  That only happens by request on the ship and with manual intervention by DR Mgr or DR Host to block that table for you.

On 4/15/2024 at 10:27 PM, jeromep said:

I stated this in another thread; what is old is new again.  This isn't all that different from the old differentiation between Anytime Dining and Traditional Dining.  I don't think it was more than 5 years ago that they transitioned away from the two dining systems to Dine Your Way.

Be prepared for the return of folks bemoaning not being able to get a Traditional Dining time slot when they try to reserve a seating and how they can finagle getting one when they get on board.  So many of those threads are in the archives, just go look for them, they are there.  I'm just guessing, but the difference is now that your Trad Dining time isn't set when you book, but when you go on the app and try to book one after you have booked the cruise.  This will be something that bothers the anti-app cruisers, for sure.

So, basically Anytime Dining, like it used to be, but with separate dining rooms focusing on first come seating or reservations.  I think this should be an improvement on the Anytime side.

I'm just not sure I see the big deal here.  I suspect my misguided viewpoint will be dealt with swiftly.

DMW came into being in June 2021.

Yes, it may be the case for some folks that their TD choice may be fully-subscribed by the time they book their cruise or attempt to use DMW.  Same thing can happen now in DMW if they want a prime time and go to book late in the game.  We shall have to wait and see if they bring back meeting the DRO in afternoon of embarkation day to make DR requests and changes.  I would say a guest not having success in DMW will be able to make on-board arrangements just as they can today. 

I also don't see any change if using DMW to book a different set time than PCL will offer for TD.  Example:  Early TD is going to be 5:00pm (perhaps 5:30pm in Europe) and guest wants 6:00pm.  Use DMW to book a 6:00pm slot each night and then make the request on board to block off the table.  

DR Mgrs will be able to direct any walk-up overflow to one of the other DR's if under-used. 

On 4/15/2024 at 11:43 PM, NoWhiners said:

I read it that way too. I am a bit confused about whether this means we have to go back and re-select Anytime dining or if this is just for those who booked Anytime reservations. It's too soon for us to do that so I am uncertain if I have to do anything. The new system seems a bit confusing.

tldr: If we booked Anytime dining, with no special reservations, do we have to go back and pick one of the 2 new options?

Yes, if/when existing reservations are flushed, all guests who want either of the set TD times or to book their own times in advance will need to go back and re-book in DMW as of an appointed re-open date.

I also think Anytime is an out-dated term and may cause confusion between reserved times using DMW and true (random) walk-up.  IOW, "anytime" is really just the walk-up choice and not making a reservation.

• Thanks 1

I re-read the letter this a.m., because I've never sailed on the Coral knowing it has 2 dining areas.

I missed the last line, fine print, about the Coral/Island.  All is well, looking forward to having TD back again.  It just works for me, sailing single, not wanting to re-introduce myself many times.

Edited by susancruzs
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 10:25 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

I'm not sure I see the difference between this and how they do it now. On the last few cruises we could have selected traditional dining, anytime dining or what we do -  select a certain time each night (usually in the same dining room) based on our stops. What's the difference to what they've announced?

It is different because PCL removed the TD option when releasing DMW App and any subsequent updates.  This was done while still promising to deliver a TD experience.  In order to get TD experience, guests have to make the request on board of DR Mgr or DR Host.  It would have been impossible to program a working model for TD in DMW.

TD is not the same as booking the same time and DR in DMW because DMW does not block the guest into the same table each night and that principle is key to TD (same wait staff and location each night of voyage).  

What I would say now is DMW Is going to work the way I pitched it to PCL back in 2021:

1. Guest still sets up their Dining Party before making a booking.

2. DMW asks if guest wants TD - Y or N.

If Y, DMW asks if Early or Late (generally, 5:00pm or 7:30pm).

DMW then asks if Private or Sharing.

END

The list of guests requesting Early and Late TD goes to the DRO (just like in the old days) and the DRO sets up the tables with his big DR map just like before.  I can see DMW having an occupancy limit and preventing requests once the max is reached.  This used to be the case in POLAR cruise booking system prior to DMW when guests would elect dining choice at time of booking their cruise.  Once TD was full, the guest would be allocated to ATD until boarding where they could make a request for TD.

3. If N, guest is then offered the booking options we see now. 

(Either book individual nights and times or same time each night).  

However, only 1 DR will be offered until occupancy filled.

IMO, it would be useful if all guests were encouraged to access DMW and it also asked up front if guest wants to elect Walk-Up.  At least there would be a positive response from most guests and it might help DROs with plans and allocation of space in the DRs.  What I mean is that instead of guessing a non-use of DMW means Walk-Up, they will literally have more data on guest elections.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:05 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Yes, you could book the same dining room, same time each night; but now in one MDR Everyone will be on the same schedule.

This is simply going back to what was done some years ago.

Not quite because prior to DMW, a guest could not book a specific time each night.  Either had to live with one of the two offered TD times or be a walk-up.  At least until on board and could make a special request.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:52 AM, 555 said:

Typical early seating is usually around 5:30 PM and late seating around 7:30 PM. 

The expectation has been 5:00pm and 7:30pm for a while.  Perhaps 5:30pm and 8:00pm in Europe.  IMO, 2.5 hrs is a long time, but it has been the case in recent times.  The DRs are opening by 5pm and they will expect Early TD to begin then.  Guest will need to make reservations for 6:00pm if want to begin later and then request a table block if they want TD experience.

On 4/16/2024 at 5:28 PM, upwarduk said:

Can you give me the name of the Aft dining room please?
As we sail on September 1st the new system won’t be in place, so I could do with knowing which the nearest/ most convenient dining room will be.

On 4/17/2024 at 10:10 AM, upwarduk said:

We are sailing Sky Princess. Is the Aft dining room Botticelli on Sky?

I would suggest all guests unfamiliar with the ships use the deck plans on Princess.com to identify location of the DRs and then you will know once the new DMW is released where your dining preference will be located. 

That said, it can be possible for Princess or a DRO to make a swap in usage if particular voyage is showing higher demand for one style over another.  So, Princess may miss the mark on setting up the allocations at the outset, or a DRO might change things up on board.  Perhaps the latter will be too disruptive and they will just send some overflow to an under-used DR rather than switch it all up.

I expect PCL to being with the following setup:

TD will be in the Aft DR because it has less capacity and they won't expect TD set times to be the most popular.

Reservations in DMW and Walk-Ups will be in the mid-ship DR's.  This gives DRO flexibility in where to send excess demand as guests only need to to up/down stairs for alternate seating.

Just a logical guess - no inside knowledge.