Help a First Timer to Princess Cay

On prior Princess cruises have never had Princess Cay as a port stop, but doing a quick cruise in June and booking Standard package (no Princess Plus or Premium package added).  I understand the stop is a "captive audience" situation and a place for Princess to make some $ by charging for water toys, umbrellas, floats, etc.), but could use input from any helpful cruisers who've been there before on these questions

1. Is it best to try to get on the first tenders over?  

2. We will bring our own snorkel gear.  Is there good snorkeling from the beach or do you suggest one of the excursions?

3. So there is free lunch/food provided on the island - is this buffet style and available all day or only for a set time period so it gets crowded/long lines?

4. If someone has just the Standard package  what free beverages are available throughout the day?

5. If a bar drink or soda is purchased can it just be charged to the room?

6. Are there big coolers of water available to refill personal water bottles?

7. Do beverage servers visit people on the beach in chairs & loungers or does everyone need to visit a bar for drinks?

8. Any reason to bring cash to Princess Cays?

9. Can you bring big bath towel from your room to Princess Cays?  (some comments talked about towel shortage on the Cay)

10. Thinking of probably renting umbrella or shade shell to be assured of having shade - important to rent before sailing because they run out?

11. Bring: swim suit, cover up, sunglasses, water shoes, sun screen, snorkel gear, water bottle, personal stuff.  Any other must brings?

12. Happy to just relax on the island and snorkel, but is any of excursions truly a "must do"?

THANKS VERY MUCH!

Posted (edited)

We were there in 2019 and don't remember much, but will try at a few of your questions.

1. No need to rush going over.

3. There is a buffet lunch served midday, burgers. They were late with it. It was hot. People were steamed. Long lines. That I recall well.

4. Fruit punch served on a tap. During lunch.

5. Yes. Well, they didn't have that feature when we were there, but I understand you can now.

12. If that is your dream, I'm happy for you and wish you a great day!

The rest, don't know. Watch out for wasps.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Not really.  Pay attention to the weather, especially if a storm front is moving in. Do not rely in the Captain to give you an hour by hour Princess Cays (pronounced Princess Keys) forecast.  If a storm hits while you are on the tender it could get dangerous, speaking from experience.

2. We will bring our own snorkel gear.  Is there good snorkeling from the beach or do you suggest one of the excursions?

Do your own snokeling right there.  Lots of passengers do.

3. So there is free lunch/food provided on the island - is this buffet style and available all day or only for a set time period so it gets crowded/long lines?

Yes there is a free buffet and it's tasty.. It's during the lunch period.

4. If someone has just the Standard package  what free beverages are available throughout the day?

Water and lemonade is free.

5. If a bar drink or soda is purchased can it just be charged to the room?

Most likely yes..

6. Are there big coolers of water available to refill personal water bottles?

Don't know. But I wouldn't count on it.  Actually that's a very good question.

7. Do beverage servers visit people on the beach in chairs & loungers or does everyone need to visit a bar for drinks?

We've never seen servers on the beach.

8. Any reason to bring cash to Princess Cays?

Check with the passenger services desk.  I'm sure the private trinket vendors take cash.

9. Can you bring big bath towel from your room to Princess Cays?  (some comments talked about towel shortage on the Cay)

Yes you can bring your big Princess sun bathing towel from the ship.

10. Thinking of probably renting umbrella or shade shell to be assured of having shade - important to rent before sailing because they run out?

We rented a shade shell on the island.  They had plenty.

11. Bring: swim suit, cover up, sunglasses, water shoes, sun screen, snorkel gear, water bottle, personal stuff.  Any other must brings?

A credit card and some cash just in case.

12. Happy to just relax on the island and snorkel, but is any of excursions truly a "must do"?

No.

THANKS VERY MUCH!

De Nada

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Staff there told us that the best snorkeling on site was at the north end in front of the pavilion.  Enter the water via North Beach (third beach from the landing) and snorkel north around the point with the pavilion on it.  We have had everything from "meh" to good viewing there.  Lots of rays one time.  Can be cloudy if there is chop.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

On prior Princess cruises have never had Princess Cay as a port stop, but doing a quick cruise in June and booking Standard package (no Princess Plus or Premium package added).  I understand the stop is a "captive audience" situation and a place for Princess to make some $ by charging for water toys, umbrellas, floats, etc.), but could use input from any helpful cruisers who've been there before on these questions

I would, especially if you want to get a shady spot under one of the trees & not under one of their crowded areas.

Salad, hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken type of lunch with cookies & brownies and fruit for dessert.

7. Do beverage servers visit people on the beach in chairs & loungers

or does everyone need to visit a bar for drinks?

Servers do walk around.

See above in red.

Edited by 555
  • Like 1

There is minimal shade so we try to get there as early as possible.  I know you can rent clam shells but don’t remember umbrellas.  Also don’t remember waiters coming around for drinks,had to go to the bar.  They do supply towels.   You can grab one as you go to the tender,or get one the night before

• Like 1

1. If you wish to have a lounge chair in one of the shaded areas then you need to get there early. There are plenty of lounges, but shade areas are in demand.

5. Yes. There is no other option. You use your medallion just like you do on the ship. No Cash. Same is true for the merchandise sold there.

8. You can use cash or credit card if you leave the Princess Cays compound. If you wish to leave the compound you have to carry standard ID's in addition to your medallions. In the past I have seen some local vendors outside the back gate.

9. You should bring the blue/white striped towels, not your bathroom towels. Pretty sure they are widely available. You can bring some from the pool the day before and I also think these towels are available as you exit the ship onto the tender or maybe when exiting the tender. Can't remember exactly.

11. Water shoes are a big plus. The entrance to the ocean is full of coral rocks and difficult to navigate in bare feet. Sand is also hot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Another thought:  We bring water shoes as parts of the swimming area floor can be rocky.

we find them to be a must, since our kid sliced his foot open on a hidden rock on the beach. I've suffered several cuts as well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, negn said:

There is minimal shade so we try to get there as early as possible.  I know you can rent clam shells but don’t remember umbrellas.  Also don’t remember waiters coming around for drinks,had to go to the bar.  They do supply towels.   You can grab one as you go to the tender,or get one the night before

I've read on this forum that umbrellas for a fee were added only recently. I would gladly pay for them, since shade is very hard to find on Princess Cays.

It's very nice of RCI to provide them for free on Cococay...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, they now have umbrellas for rent, according to the excursion/rentals shown online.

-  Personally, I like to go over onto the island early...  If you want to get a good spot, and plan on spending any amount of time, then I would go ahead and go early.

-  Last time, we rented a bungalow, and I really appreciated that!  (book as excursion in advance)

- The crew heads over to the island first, with all of the gear and food for lunch.  They do grill the food there behind the line at the lunch pavilion.  They will get lunch opened up at some point, maybe sometimes all the prep goes quicker than others?   At noon, yes, there will be a line.  They have burgers, dogs, wings, grilled chicken or maybe fish for your sandwich.  It really isn't bad.   The Packages do work on Princess Cay.  They should have water, tea, lemonade..  Just like onboard.  Sodas, and mixed drinks are all available, if you want...

Yes, a towel from onboard might be a good idea.  It is always nice to have an extra regular towel, along with the beach towel that might get wet or sandy.

-  Cash?   You should not NEED cash to visit the Island.  Of course Lunch and the basic drinks are all included.   ( I think your medallion works on the Island) But, you might bring some csh for tips. (which I did want to tip a couple times) or for anything from the Island vendors.  Cash only.

It is not the most totally spectacular beach,  but it is a great Island Beach Day.

Enjoy!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2

Yes, it may not be a spectacular beach, but it does offer an opportunity for a nice swim and beach experience without having to take a bus or taxi to a beach in other ports.  We always spend a little bit of time there when it is on our itinerary.

Concerning the OP’s thought that Princess ma be making money on the stop there.  Given the effort and preparation that has to be done to provide Princess Cays as a stop (food, beverage,  and crew transfers, tendering passengers, maintenance of the beach, port fees, etc.), I doubt that Princess is making any money on this stop…just the opposite.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I keep seeing comments about towels....and some of it seems a little confusing...just to state this succinctly:

YOU MUST BRING A BEACH/POOL TOWEL FROM THE SHIP. THERE ARE NO TOWELS AT PRINCESS CAYS.

At least, that's what they told us on the Sky in February.

🙂

Edited by dreaminofcruisin
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone. I feel totally prepared for visiting Princess Cays now!

I did look up excursions for that day and, besides actual excursions, they have MANY things available for rent (floaties, umbrellas, kayaks, inflatables, etc.  - even basic pool noodles for $4.99 if I remember right).

Bring an inflatable noodle or even floating lounger - start at around $8 on Amazon.  Only place we can't use these is on Disney cruise. 

Turn right when you get off the tender.  Fewer people and more trees.  The clamshells are over there as well, although lots of folks quit using them due to lack of air circulation out in the sun.  Buffet and bar less crowded as well.

Snorkeling gets pretty murky after a few hours, especially near the pavilion.  Less traffic to right of the harbor so it stays clear longer.  WATER SHOES, WATER SHOES, WATER SHOES.

Highly recommend taking your ID and going out to the vendors outside the fence.  Lots of fun crafted items and some local food.  Cash required (US$).  Most vendors inside the compound except hair braiding use your cruise account.

• Like 1