IS THE NAVIGATOR ONE OF THE POOR RELATIONS

Have just booked the Navigator for 7 night intensive port cruise out of Rome on 15th November 2024. Having recently sailed on the Splendour, how inferior will the Navigator be on this cruise. Had no choice due commitments, however, would welcome a constructive comparison of both ships.

The standard balcony suite are lovely. Avoid extreme aft suites if you can due to vibration. Great theatre, great aft lounge, with balcony. Small, intimate ship, cozy at times if weather is bad. A bit bouncy in heavy seas.

• Like 4

Love the Navigator.  Not as flashy as the newer ships, but we like knowing everyone on board.  Hands down, the best view from a gym on sea anywhere.

• Like 1

Agree. Loved it. But go for a suite location that’s amidships or forward if you can. The aft noise/vibration is quite something. I can remember it being hard to hear conversations around a cocktail table in the aft bar/lounge. Can’t imagine what it would be like to have that constant noise in a suite. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, difranco said:

"... how inferior will the Navigator be on this cruise..."

I would never consider or think of the Navigator as being "inferior".  She is admittedly older, not quite as "glitzy" as the newer ships, and certainly much smaller.  But she's well-maintained; the standard suites are large and clean; always has a wonderful, efficient, and friendly crew; and is more intimate and cozier than the other Regent ships.  I don't view the absence of a few (more) specialty restaurants as a negative... particularly when the Navigator Compass Rose (MDR) will make almost any menu you'd like...including the offerings of all the other sister-ships' specialty restaurants.  We still view Navigator as a very valid and acceptable choice among all the ships in the Regency fleet.  Regards

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

TS and PhD-iva:  

No forward Observation Lounge on Navigator.  All common areas such as Seven Seas Lounge Theater are aft. 

Why?  Because Navigator's basic hull design was not, originally, meant to be for a cruise ship; rather, for a Soviet-era ice breaker/electronic surveillance platform. 

Very-heavy forward hull design.  Had to counterbalance that weight by putting a lot of weight aft. Hence, the unique Theater, . 

Many pleasant cruises on Navigator.  Quickly adjusted to the smaller footprint.  Downside for many is having only one reservation-required Specialty Restaurant (Prime 7); and at-times a crowded La Veranda venue at breakfast and lunch.  This aspect has been mitigated, somewhat, by opening up the Prime 7 section for overflow.  Yes, there is Sette Mari (reconfigured from La Veranda) for dinner.  No reservations required.  

Other have commented on the vibration quirks which can, at times, be noticeable; and at all times, a topic for conversation. Almost comical to watch one's wine glass migrate across a Seven Seas Lounge table top--on its own--when the rear thrusters are operating.  And, the Lecturer literally hanging-on to the podium.  

One high note which had added to our pleasant times on Navigator was having Ray Solare as Cruise Director. Staff have provided, without exception, dedicated, professional service.  

GOARMY!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I think there’s no forward observation lounge

…,,….. but there is the rear Galileo’s Lounge

EFFF71E5-2829-4B93-8F4A-33261F1DB62A.thumb.jpeg.aa9cf6b254467530c56b1022c876289e.jpeg

Outside Galileo’s 

2B425487-8AA2-4FEF-AAC4-8B8DA95F1D13.thumb.jpeg.913553847660757dc510ff08c31f333c.jpeg

2 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

The aft noise/vibration is quite something.

It is nowhere near as bad as it used to be

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Navigator is definitely a “marmite” ship; but it is an intimate, friendly ship rather than a floating glitzy hotel.

Regent service remains the same high standard on all ships in the fleet.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

We will be on the Navigator for our first time in about a year (and maybe the last time if the selling rumors are true). We are really looking forward to sailing this intimate ship.

Edited by kjbacon

6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

...and rumor has it that K&B might be onboard Navigator in November....

Not sure who K&B is, but I hope it’s not Nov 5 cruise. Have been a little concerned about low booking for this cruise, wondering if they are shopping around for a foreign charter. My first Navigator cruise in 20 years, but have 3 cruises prior on this lovely lady. Don’t want ship taken over by a large group, would ruin the experience.

There seem to be a lot of UK cruisers with deals on the Nov 15 cruise, that had a lot of availability, too. 

36 minutes ago, CardowMD said:

Not sure who K&B is, but I hope it’s not Nov 5 cruise. Have been a little concerned about low booking for this cruise, wondering if they are shopping around for a foreign charter. My first Navigator cruise in 20 years, but have 3 cruises prior on this lovely lady. Don’t want ship taken over by a large group, would ruin the experience.

There seem to be a lot of UK cruisers with deals on the Nov 15 cruise, that had a lot of availability, too. 

They are the top entertainment duo who are usually on the Mariner...

• Like 1

We have more time on the Navigator than the other ships, though we do like the Explorer, including a couple of 26-day cruises.  We much prefer it to the Voyager or Mariner.  We will be doing the Transatlantic in November and hope it stays around for another trip.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, difranco said:

Having recently sailed on the Splendour, how inferior will the Navigator be on this cruise.

One of the things you will notice is the outdated suite bathrooms on Navigator compared to Splendor. Perfectly functional and well maintained but showing their age & only a single washbasin.

15 hours ago, difranco said:

7 night intensive port cruise

The smaller ship may be an advantage; with probably less people on each of the popular excursions, plus you may find that you receive a more personal service from the Destinations team

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the best of all possible worlds, I'd like to think that Regent might hang on to the Navigator as it's "expedition" ship. Since the powers that be don't seem to be moving towards construction of such a ship, might the Navigator be able to step up to the challenge? Maybe with a few tweeks, she could fit the bill? As far as we're personally concerned, the Navigator has always gotten the best and most interesting itineraries.

• Like 2

Just now, Mudhen said:

In the best of all possible worlds, I'd like to think that Regent might hang on to the Navigator as it's "expedition" ship. Since the powers that be don't seem to be moving towards construction of such a ship, might the Navigator be able to step up to the challenge? Maybe with a few tweeks, she could fit the bill? As far as we're personally concerned, the Navigator has always gotten the best and most interesting itineraries.

I doubt Regent will do Expedition cruises, and Navigator really isn't configured.  Expedition cruise ships are pretty much designed for that purpose and  require the ability to carry a number of Zodiacs and there is really no place to put those on Navigator.  But Navigator is perfect for smaller ports and unusual itineraries.  I think they'll keep her for now, and hopefully will replace her with a new ship someday of about the same size.  IMHO Regent tends to have the best itineraries of any cruise line (at least for me).  So I hope they don't go to all larger ships that will be beautiful but more limited. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@flossie009 They are not updated, but still look much nicer than the RCL and Celebrity bathrooms that I have been on lately. They look like they will be suitable for a solo traveler, just not the updated fixtures. Thank you again for sharing from the Navigator cruise you are on currently.

• Thanks 2

We like the Navigator the most for precisely why many don't.  The vibration isn't a deal breaker but more like a quirk from an older ship. It is classic and classy without all the fancy schmancy stuff that most seem to like. The crew members are always the best.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, fizzy said:

We like the Navigator the most for precisely why many don't.  The vibration isn't a deal breaker but more like a quirk from an older ship. It is classic and classy without all the fancy schmancy stuff that most seem to like. The crew members are always the best.

Love it.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 7:44 PM, CardowMD said:

Not sure who K&B is, but I hope it’s not Nov 5 cruise.

I LOVE Boogie & Kashia! Great way to burn off some cals on the dance floor. Their party rocks!

• Like 1