MoveUp - Is how much I paid for my current suite factored in?

If I paid $20k for a Celebrity suite, and someone else paid $3k for cheapest inside stateroom available, and we are both bidding on the Iconic Suite, does MoveUp only look exclusively at which of us has the highest bid amount or do they take into account that I also have paid for a more expensive stateroom?  So if the inside stateroom person bids $10,000 and I bid $7,000 will they win based solely off of the bid amount or is the fact that I already spent $20k vs the other bidders $3k stateroom taken into account?  Basically wondering if Iconic suite is available if I buy the cheapest stateroom available so can go larger on the bids.  Thank you!!!!!!

Last time I booked an inside cabin, I was only offered move up offers up to a certain level (I think balcony).  I couldn't bid on suites.  So I don't think someone in a Celebrity Suiting is competing with inside cabin passengers for the Iconic.

But to answer your question, no one actually knows the algorithm.  I suspect a major part of it relates to how easily your original cabin is to resell or move someone else into and make the most money both with your bid and with what they can get for your original cabin.

• Like 6

As @prmssksaid no one knows for certain but I think how much you originally paid may well figure into it.

We recently bid to Move Up from a SV to a Magic Carpet SS.  We were booked with a cruise only fare and bid $1800 pp.  Another person on the Roll Call also in a SV bid $1100pp and won the upgrade. They were booked with a AI fare so there original cost was about $6900 vs ours at $4400.  The lower bid ultimately got X more revenue $6900 +$2200

=$9100 compared to us $4400  $3600 = $8000.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FloroidaCruise said:

If I paid $20k for a Celebrity suite, and someone else paid $3k for cheapest inside stateroom available, and we are both bidding on the Iconic Suite, does MoveUp only look exclusively at which of us has the highest bid amount or do they take into account that I also have paid for a more expensive stateroom?  So if the inside stateroom person bids $10,000 and I bid $7,000 will they win based solely off of the bid amount or is the fact that I already spent $20k vs the other bidders $3k stateroom taken into account?  Basically wondering if Iconic suite is available if I buy the cheapest stateroom available so can go larger on the bids.  Thank you!!!!!!

I’m not at all sure they let inside cabins bid for Iconic suites.  In any case, the inside only gets them $10,000, while you get them $7,000, potentially plus, what a person in a SS bids to MoveUp to a CS, plus what a person in a SV bids to MoveUp to a SS, etc.

I think one of the big factors is what cabin are you booked in, what are you bidding up to, how many are bidding on your current cabin and how much revenue will 3 move ups generate, vs one. (I know, more than one factor but you get the idea.)

21 hours ago, FloroidaCruise said:

I understand your question, I wish I knew the answer.  But I wouldn't book any stateroom unless I would be happy staying in it.  You cannot count on a move-up because there may be no cabins available to move up too.  So buy the cheapest stateroom only if you would be happy in it for the cruise.

Posted (edited)

Since you enter you booking number to get into the MoveUp website, all of your booking information is visible to the process.  I'm certain what your current stateroom could resell for in consideration of what you paid, or be released to a bid from a lower category, is taken into consideration with the bid amount you offer to the upgrade categories you select.  My understanding is bids are awarded based on highest per category, but that is likely only one factor as moving your current stateroom as mentioned will factor in as well.

The MoveUP program is managed by a third party and I am certain pricing algorithms play a large roll in the process with little direct human involvement, other than perhaps confirming any award.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

How much you paid for your original stateroom is completely irrelevant. They already have that money. This seems to shock people, but businesses are usually in the business of making money. They already have your money so if someone is willing to give them more NEW money than you are, they are going to award the upgrade to the person who is giving them more new money.

The best way to think about the MoveUp program is that upgrades are not one single room to another single room, they are an entire chain. You upgrade to an Iconic, someone else upgrades to your old suite, someone else upgrades to that person's balcony, someone else upgrades to that person's OV... What any business that is in the business of making money (hint: that's all of them) will do is complete the chain of upgrades that is going to net them the most money.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

How much you paid for your original stateroom is completely irrelevant. They already have that money. This seems to shock people, but businesses are usually in the business of making money. They already have your money so if someone is willing to give them more NEW money than you are, they are going to award the upgrade to the person who is giving them more new money.

The best way to think about the MoveUp program is that upgrades are not one single room to another single room, they are an entire chain. You upgrade to an Iconic, someone else upgrades to your old suite, someone else upgrades to that person's balcony, someone else upgrades to that person's OV... What any business that is in the business of making money (hint: that's all of them) will do is complete the chain of upgrades that is going to net them the most money.

Totally agree. The math below is not correct because - as you said - they already have that money. The complete chain of upgrades is what matters.

They were booked with a AI fare so there original cost was about $6900 vs ours at $4400.  The lower bid ultimately got X more revenue $6900 +$2200 = $9100 compared to us $4400  $3600 = $8000.

39 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I agree that this makes the most sense.

What you originally paid shouldn’t figure in except perhaps at the margins.  What I mean is that if there are 2 sets of bids that result in approximately the same total additional revenue to Celebrity they might give the bid to the person with a higher Captains Club level or originally paid more for their cabin. However, this probably only applies when differences are small.

Also, as previously said, I have never been offered a suite when inside was booked.

39 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Totally agree. The math below is not correct because - as you said - they already have that money. The complete chain of upgrades is what matters.

They were booked with a AI fare so there original cost was about $6900 vs ours at $4400.  The lower bid ultimately got X more revenue $6900 +$2200 = $9100 compared to us $4400  $3600 = $8000.

If it was based on new revenue then you would think our$3600 bid would have won, but it didn’t.  Both of us bidders were in SVs cabins to start so the chain of upgrades would have been the same.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If it was based on new revenue then you would think our$3600 bid would have won, but it didn’t.  Both of us bidders were in SVs cabins to start so the chain of upgrades would have been the same.  

In this isolated transaction X got less additional revenue because no-one is giving back what they already paid and for some reason their algorithm  did not give the cabin to the highest bidder who may have been someone other than you. I would think they are going to try to maximize long term profit and any single transaction is not telling the whole story. I also think that the algorithm is very complex and uses AI to maximize revenue overall.

The whole crux of the MoveUp system is to maximize revenue so it would be incorrect to definitively say what you initially paid flatly has no bearing on your likelihood of winning a bid. It would make no sense to base it solely on new revenue which is exemplified by lower cabins not being able to bid on upper suites.