Encore Observation lounge to be redone like the Joy?

Posted (edited)

I saw on a social media site today an article that suggests that the Encore might be having cabins added on deck 15 forward port side in what is now the port Observation Lounge just like the Joy had done. 
Someone found that on NCL’s website forward port cabins on deck 15 are listed for booking in 2025. These cabin numbers are the same as the ones on Joy that were just added.

I checked and the deck plans on NCLs site still shows the current deck 15 plans, but sure enough shows the new cabin numbers.

I can guess the observation lounge is underutilized during Caribbean cruises but it will be missed during Alaska sailings.

IMG_1744.png

Edited by justhappy
  • Like 1

When they announced that they would be doing this to the Joy I posted this would happen to the Encore and all the defenders listed numerous reasons that it wouldn't and said I was wrong. LOL! I will predict this will also happen to the Bliss when she goes into dry dock. And I really do hope I'm wrong!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that is what will be happening to Bliss when she goes into Dry Dock in January 2025.

I cannot find any information on what exactly they are doing but a few crew from the Joy I spoke with this past week said they thought that was what they were doing to Bliss. She leaves out of Miami on January 4th for 13 days to Southampton and does not return till Feb 2, 2025 for a 13 day cruising that leave 17 days between when she arrives and when she leaves.

I am booked on the return and have booked air so hope all goes as planned. 

they are doing this because new cabins create extra money and increases onboard spending with more people onboard. overall it is going to make the ship feel very very crowded and it will be impossible to enjoy the views in the smaller lounge now

• Like 4

The thing I most dislike about the Joy's OL is the lack of a sit down bar.  I understand the need for additional revenue and if they have to cannibalize part of OL to do it, it's going to happen.  But I'll be disappointed if they change the bar area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

they are doing this because new cabins create extra money and increases onboard spending with more people onboard.

I understand that, but the OL has always been fully-utilized when I've tried to go in and find a seat, meaning that there was nowhere to sit.  Other than the money grab there is ZERO reason this is being done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Oh no! This is not good news.

Well, maybe it’s good news for rich people who book the Haven.

I don't see it as good news for Haven guests. It's probably more of a feeling of indifference. 

that would be sad if they did that to al the ships.  I cruised on Bliss earlier this year ( first time), in Haven ( first time).  I enjoyed the "regular observation lounge" more than the Haven Observation Lounge.  the Non-Haven lounge was HUGE, and did not feel that you were in a stuffy library where someone will SHUSH you for talking to loud.  But, things change, and cruise lines know what they need to to.  Maybe they will re-arrainge some outdoor space where folks can sit, protected form the elements ( be it heat or cold)

17 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

that would be sad if they did that to al the ships.

Well, the only ship left to do it to if they do it to Encore would be the Bliss.  Looking at the Bliss for April 2025 I'm not seeing Balcony cabins on deck 15 forward available.  I even went out to October 2025 on a Mexican Riviera cruise in case those cabins had sold out for Alaska already.

I believe the reduction of space in the OL began with the Prima. The Viva is also the same as the Prima. NCL uses the OL  for many functions and restricts passenger usage during all times.

4 hours ago, roger001 said:

The Dawn class had Spinnaker lounges some years ago.  All turned into additional cabins.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Well, the only ship left to do it to if they do it to Encore would be the Bliss.  Looking at the Bliss for April 2025 I'm not seeing Balcony cabins on deck 15 forward available.  I even went out to October 2025 on a Mexican Riviera cruise in case those cabins had sold out for Alaska already.

The Spinnaker lounges on the Jewel class will be next.

12 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I suspect that is what will be happening to Bliss when she goes into Dry Dock in January 2025.

I cannot find any information on what exactly they are doing but a few crew from the Joy I spoke with this past week said they thought that was what they were doing to Bliss. She leaves out of Miami on January 4th for 13 days to Southampton and does not return till Feb 2, 2025 for a 13 day cruising that leave 17 days between when she arrives and when she leaves.

I am booked on the return and have booked air so hope all goes as planned. 

I heard the same news as the Encore will be the first ship to go into dry dock for the changes. The Bliss will be adding additional cabins on deck 15 OL. They will remove the Haven Library to expand the Owners Suite. There also will be some dining venue changes.

• Like 1

I think its a bit extreme to rip apart such new ships to add more cabins.  So they will build an owners suite on deck 15 nowhere near the Haven?  Part of the appeal of the Encore Haven is having everything in the same complex.  So they will make the Observation deck smaller for a few more bucks.  Its going to cost a pretty penny to do this too.

How about making the race track one deck and removing the track from one deck and put cabins there too.  The Laser Tag area would provide some great Aft view for cabins too.

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

I think its a bit extreme to rip apart such new ships to add more cabins.  So they will build an owners suite on deck 15 nowhere near the Haven?  Part of the appeal of the Encore Haven is having everything in the same complex.  So they will make the Observation deck smaller for a few more bucks.  Its going to cost a pretty penny to do this too.

How about making the race track one deck and removing the track from one deck and put cabins there too.  The Laser Tag area would provide some great Aft view for cabins too.

The Owner's Suite, if taking over the Haven Library, would be on 18, not 15. And they're already getting rid of the laser tag and putting in Spice H2O per other reports. No cabins aft, but rather an included adults-only pool area.

• Like 1

I only wish with the changes they would add Onda to Bliss like Encore has but since they did not do that with Joy doubt they will for Bliss. I would have preferred to do the Encore TA return but I booked almost 2 years ago for a 2 bedroom Haven(a good friend is joining my husband and I) to go on the Bliss in November and the price is just too good to cancel so I booked the Bliss TA return to Miami for February. This way it spreads my cruising out about every 3 months. Plus the flight cost to London are cheaper in late January compared to flying in December.

What is interesting is the Dry Dock time is about the same as Joy but they did a lot more with Joy with expanding and totally remodeling the Spa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asctony said:

I believe the reduction of space in the OL began with the Prima. The Viva is also the same as the Prima. NCL uses the OL  for many functions and restricts passenger usage during all times.

The OL on Prima is smaller because the ship is a lot smaller with 25% fewer passengers. 

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't see it as good news for Haven guests. It's probably more of a feeling of indifference. 

The Haven on the Joy is kinda bad already since they converted most of the “S”uites to “H”aven class rooms. The Joy Haven was not designed to handle that many rooms/guests. 

3 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

What is interesting is the Dry Dock time is about the same as Joy but they did a lot more with Joy with expanding and totally remodeling the Spa.

That may be more dictated by the technical needs than by the remodeling.  The OL can probably be mostly deconstructed during the crossing, there needs to be some infrastructure work done to support cabins (the Joy didn't need as much as the Encore will as the Joy originally had cabins in that space) and then the cabins are 'slide-in' modules.

The OL and Laser tag/Spice flip are probably the most intensive events to happen during the dry dock.  Actually, the laser tag can probably be deconstructed during the crossing as well.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

So they will build an owners suite on deck 15 nowhere near the Haven?

No, what is being added is a set of standard balcony staterooms on the port side on deck 15. The OP is correct that they can be booked now and the numbers are lower towards the front (15108, 15110, etc.).

Edited by Two Wheels Only

17 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

No, what is being added is a set of standard balcony staterooms on the port side on deck 15. The OP is correct that they can be booked now and the numbers are lower towards the front (15108, 15110, etc.).

We are on an Encore sailing on 2/9/25 and already switched to these rooms!

2 minutes ago, sjacobs11 said:

We are on an Encore sailing on 2/9/25 and already switched to these rooms!

Hmmm.....we are in club balcony suites in June 2025, but I think I will look into these new cabins.

Thank you for reporting on your switch!

• Like 2

I was kind of up set by this, but then I thought about it and I'll take the smaller Observation Lounge if it gets rid of the laser tag and adds a spice H20. 

• Like 2