Sanctuary Collection on Sun Princess

KLM3164

3 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

It seems Princess had no clear idea on how to launch this new class of ship.  Why wasn’t this all laid out before people were able to book?  They should rename the Sanctuary because it is no longer the same product as on their other ships.  It looks like any other pool deck - minus the shade.  We cancelled.  Our excitement about this new ship is gone.  We would have made it to Elite, but now may never get there.  I’m sure there are many people who will be thrilled with the Sun and Star - and that’s a good thing.  Just not for us.  

I have no problem with a cruiseline deciding what product to sell. While I am not a fan of Princess going to ship within a ship, for my own reasons, I don't have an issue with their deciding what they wish to sell

My issue is that they sold us one thing and now changed it without any compensation. I booked a suite with exclusive dining and Sanctuary access. I paid a premium for that. And now it seems they just gave it to others for free and eliminated the exclusivity that they originally sold. If they knew they were going to do this months ago, they should have said so. I would have downgraded to a mini suite reserve and saved some money. The lounge isn't worth the difference in price. But I can't downgrade now.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I have no problem with a cruiseline deciding what product to sell. While I am not a fan of Princess going to ship within a ship, for my own reasons, I don't have an issue with their deciding what they wish to sell

My issue is that they sold us one thing and now changed it without any compensation. I booked a suite with exclusive dining and Sanctuary access. I paid a premium for that. And now it seems they just gave it to others for free and eliminated the exclusivity that they originally sold. If they knew they were going to do this months ago, they should have said so. I would have downgraded to a mini suite reserve and saved some money. The lounge isn't worth the difference in price. But I can't downgrade now.

Exactly the point I made when I originally booked the D0-aft with advertising saying includes Signature benefits and upgrades.

Then months later am told “ sorry” an error.

Now the first D0-aft cruiers prior to Oct 14/24 on the SUN- are not eligible for these new Sanctuary perk.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

30 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

Thanks!

I'm new to Princess - never sailed with them before, but have done the Haven, MSC YC, and MSC Explora Journeys.  Curious how these 219 cabins having access to the Sanctuary compares to the total people in the Sanctuary on other ships where they sold day passes.

On the other Princess ships, the number of people allowed into the Sanctuary is determined by the number of loungers/cabanas available, so there is never an overcrowding issue.

When comparing to Celebrity, there are 158 suites in total on the Celebrity Apex.  So the Retreat sundeck on the Apex would be shared by a smaller quantity of cabins (61 less cabins) than on the Princess Sun. 

I don't know the difference in square footage between the Apex Retreat and the Sun Sanctuary sundeck, but there will definitely be more people now in the Sun Sanctuary sundeck than in Celebrity's Retreat sundeck.

And I often find the Celebrity Retreat sundeck to be quite crowded, especially during sea days.  That does not bode well for the Sun Sanctuary sundeck on a warm weather sailing.

Dog,  since you have already booked the cabin, are you not 'grandfathered in'.

That is what I was understanding.

While the official SANCTUARY thing begins Oct. 14,  and also begins with all bookings made after this announcement...  I thought that all existing bookings were granted SANCTUARY access...  Just not the included package.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

On the other Princess ships, the number of people allowed into the Sanctuary is determined by the number of loungers/cabanas available, so there is never an overcrowding issue.

When comparing to Celebrity, there are 158 suites in total on the Celebrity Apex.  So the Retreat sundeck on the Apex would be shared by a smaller quantity of cabins (61 less cabins) than on the Princess Sun. 

I don't know the difference in square footage between the Apex Retreat and the Sun Sanctuary sundeck, but there will definitely be more people now in the Sun Sanctuary sundeck than in Celebrity's Retreat sundeck.

And I often find the Celebrity Retreat sundeck to be quite crowded, especially during sea days.  That does not bode well for the Sun Sanctuary sundeck on a warm weather sailing.

For comparison purposes the MSC Meraviglia has about 100 cabins and the newer MSC Seascape has 131.  Their pool sections also have a full bar, an expansive grill serving breakfast and lunch, and multiple hot tubs.  Neither were busy the weeks we were on our 2 Caribbean cruises but I’ve heard they can be crowded, like all ships, during holiday periods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I believe there were 90+ or even 100+ Reserve Mini-suites under the old system, so at least those number of cabins will now have access to the Sanctuary.

LOL

I have not seen anywhere that the Reserve mini-suites under the old system are allowed access to the Sanctuary.  I think that would be wonderful if it was true.  Hoping someone has this information.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, galveston gal said:

I have not seen anywhere that the Reserve mini-suites under the old system are allowed access to the Sanctuary.  I think that would be wonderful if it was true.  Hoping someone has this information.

Look at the old numbers of cabins that made up the Signature Collection:

The Signature Collection Suites breakdown (total = 80)
SO - Signature Sky Suite - 4
S2 - Signature Owner's Suite - 10

S4 - Signature Penthouse Suite - 36

S9 - Signature Suite - 30 (which have a mini-suite layout)

and the new numbers making up the new and improved Sanctuary Collection (total = 219) : 

"The new Sanctuary Collection aboard Sun Princess includes three levels of stateroom types – Signature Collection Suites (80), Mini Suites (123), and Premium Deluxe Balconies (16)"

Some reserve minis were "promoted".

Edited by capriccio

4 minutes ago, galveston gal said:

There is that webinar event tomorrow organised on this subject by Carmen Roig of PrincessVPSales on FB - hopefully our TA members can report back on any details and Q&A responses that might help fill in some gaps.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Look at the old numbers of cabins that made up the Signature Collection:

The Signature Collection Suites breakdown (total = 80)
SO - Signature Sky Suite - 4
S2 - Signature Owner's Suite - 10

S4 - Signature Penthouse Suite - 36

S9 - Signature Suite - 30 (which have a mini-suite layout)

and the new numbers making up the new and improved Sanctuary Collection (total = 219) : 

"The new Sanctuary Collection aboard Sun Princess includes three levels of stateroom types – Signature Collection Suites (80), Mini Suites (123), and Premium Deluxe Balconies (16)"

Some reserve minis were "promoted".

We got a mail but didn't see mention of Sanctuary only the private dining that was only referred to as private dining.  We are on the Cabana deck so maybe that's our version of the Sanctuary?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, galveston gal said:

It says in the Sanctuary Collection description that access to the Sanctuary Club is included.  For this deal, the only thing in the Collection that is not included is the Premier package.  I too booked a Reserve mini-suite.

Edited by reiddg

57 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

While the official SANCTUARY thing begins Oct. 14,  and also begins with all bookings made after this announcement...  I thought that all existing bookings were granted SANCTUARY access...  Just not the included package.

That is correct.  That's what the Princess rep told me on chat and said it was for all sailings in 2025.  I booked a Reserve mini-suite in April 2023 on the Sun for January 2025, which has now qualified me for the Sanctuary Collection sans the Premier package.  

1 minute ago, reiddg said:

It says in the Sanctuary Collection description that access to the Sanctuary Club is included.  For this deal, the only thing in the Collection that is not included is the Premier package

I've seen some comments here on CC that the Lounge access is still restricted to the original 80 cabins in the Signature Collection but I haven't seen a direct quote on that.  Having looked at the pictures of that lounge, I have my doubts that it was even big enough to old a sizeable percentage of the Signature Collection passengers.

1 hour ago, dog said:

Exactly the point I made when I originally booked the D0-aft with advertising saying includes Signature benefits and upgrades.

Then months later am told “ sorry” an error.

Now the first D0-aft cruiers prior to Oct 14/24 on the SUN- are not eligible for these new Sanctuary perk.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Exactly the same issue for us.

Princess has lost credibility.

Ooops Sorry really doesn’t cut it. Don’t bother emailing me with your Upgrade Princess

Changing the rules twice on one sailing is 2 too many

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I've seen some comments here on CC that the Lounge access is still restricted to the original 80 cabins in the Signature Collection but I haven't seen a direct quote on that.  Having looked at the pictures of that lounge, I have my doubts that it was even big enough to old a sizeable percentage of the Signature Collection passengers.

Yes, the lounge is limited to Signature suite guests (agree with your assessment of lounge size). If you look at the Sanctuary Collection description on the PCL website under Premium Amenities and Services, it says "And if you’re a Sanctuary Suite guest, you’ll have exclusive access to the Suite Lounge"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

what percentage is acceptable?

You don't build a church capacity for Easter Sunday ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

what percentage is acceptable?

You don't build a church capacity for Easter Sunday ...

Which is exactly why I said a percentage, not all.  Given that I am not a cruise line venue designer I wouldn't know.  I just worry that the Princess designers don't know either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Which is exactly why I said a percentage, not all.  Given that I am not a cruise line venue designer I wouldn't know.  I just worry that the Princess designers don't know either.

sizable percentage ... nevermind

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes, my travel summary was updated April 23 rd to Sanctuary Collection Indicator. $0.

No lounge or premium package. D0 cabin.

So, I will get what was advertised when I booked.

My S9- stays the same.

• Thanks 1

I am so confused and hoping to get some answers.

I love the Retreat experience on Celebrity, did the Beyond in November and it was wonderful and exclusive and worth the money we paid.

I have a group of 6 cabins that I have convinced and booked on Star in Jan 2026 in either Signature Suites or Penthouse (which now appear to be Vista?) hoping for a somewhat similar

experience.

Today, many of us received the email which is totally misleading as we already booked suites that should include all the benefits?

So why are we being 'congratulated' on being 'upgraded' to what we booked to begin with?  And if they now allow other classes of cabins access to the perks that were promoted for suites, what's the point?

Princess seems to be comfortable with changing their programs but not the names to totally confuse their clients.

This was evidenced by them changing the Premier package benefits and pricing but leaving the name the same so those of us who had booked Premier had to either 1. be told we weren't eligible for some of the perks or 2. pay to upgrade to a 'new' Premier

Why don't they add to the name (i.e. Premier 2.0) or SOMETHING to denote the change is being included?????

😡

• Like 2

Princess is holding a workshop for TA's tomorrow on this subject, if you can attend you should.  and I encourage everyone to find a way to message Princess about your concerns...many of the lines have been known to 'walk back' their decisions when they hear enough from their clientele... always worth a shot!

25 minutes ago, J18ktleo said:

I am so confused and hoping to get some answers.

I love the Retreat experience on Celebrity, did the Beyond in November and it was wonderful and exclusive and worth the money we paid.

I have a group of 6 cabins that I have convinced and booked on Star in Jan 2026 in either Signature Suites or Penthouse (which now appear to be Vista?) hoping for a somewhat similar

experience.

Today, many of us received the email which is totally misleading as we already booked suites that should include all the benefits?

So why are we being 'congratulated' on being 'upgraded' to what we booked to begin with?  And if they now allow other classes of cabins access to the perks that were promoted for suites, what's the point?

Princess seems to be comfortable with changing their programs but not the names to totally confuse their clients.

This was evidenced by them changing the Premier package benefits and pricing but leaving the name the same so those of us who had booked Premier had to either 1. be told we weren't eligible for some of the perks or 2. pay to upgrade to a 'new' Premier

Why don't they add to the name (i.e. Premier 2.0) or SOMETHING to denote the change is being included?????

😡

Premier hasn’t changed (at least to my knowledge) the only thing that’s changed is it would be included in sanctuary class bookings going forward. If you booked before the change it was an optional upgrade.

So if you originally booked with premier (like I did) you paid for it and will still have it. If you booked without it, you can still upgrade (and pay for it) if you want it. The price of the new bookings with it included is excessively more expensive.

otherwise the benefit is still the same and I’ve not seen anything to indicate otherwise.

I'm interested in finding out if suite guests will still have exclusive access to the Signature deck portion of the Sanctuary still? It was included as a perk before the release of the Sanctuary Club, but I haven't seen it referenced in the new material... Our email just confirmed we would still have access to the Sanctuary. Wondering if the designated suite area of the Sanctuary will still be there after Oct? 

3 minutes ago, keldaria said:

Premier hasn’t changed (at least to my knowledge) the only thing that’s changed is it would be included in sanctuary class bookings going forward. If you booked before the change it was an optional upgrade.

So if you originally booked with premier (like I did) you paid for it and will still have it. If you booked without it, you can still upgrade (and pay for it) if you want it. The price of the new bookings with it included is excessively more expensive.

otherwise the benefit is still the same and I’ve not seen anything to indicate otherwise.

In 2023 Princess changed the Premier pkg and it required an additional charge which offered more perks that are now standard.  It was very confusing and many, who didn't pay the upcharge, boarded thinking they had the entire pkg but they didn't since the name hadn't changed but, again, Princess 'adjusted' the program perks and there was really no way for passengers to know they did or didn't have the upgrade dpackage (since the name was the same🤪).

I just looked at my group booking and we all have Premier which was included in our booking back in February for the suites, whew, thankfully that's good!  But I don't recall there being an option to book a suite without the Premier pkg.