Sanctuary Collection on Sun Princess

KLM3164

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

"Your real complaint should be that Princess got rid of those other areas on the new class of ship, which again I don't think has anything to do with the conversation here. "

The two are almost inseparable.

...You guys can question and mis-quote all you want....  but, it is all very clear.

Most every ship has an adult area....  an open access adult area... NOT just the exclusive 'Sanctuary'....    Carnival has open adult areas.

The Sun princess, does not....  Not at all.  No adult only option for the majority of guests.

That is a huge 'MISS'

Questioning and throwing comments and doubts does not change that.

Again,  we certainly did not book this cruise, months ago, for the Ports....  The biggest draw was the new ship.  Now that the light of day is shining, and the veil has been lifted... It seems that there is no adult area for guests (non-Sanctuary) onboard.  And it also seems that the ship has a totally different vibe, with a lot of large open spaces.. flashing screens, etc...  That is not what we have enjoyed while cruising Princess.   And, the things we might have looked forward to are no-more.

For us, there are other options out there, and we will be considering whether we will cancel our booking.

Anyone is free to have a different opinion.  No need to go after any other person who is commenting.

I wholeheartedly agree with you!  Not having an adult area other than the Sanctuary is incredibly disappointing and would prevent me from ever booking on this ship again.  In fact, if I didn't have 4 others booked with us, I would cancel.  I can only hope that since we are sailing early February that there won't be a bunch of kids onboard.  When we cruised over the 4th of July last summer, we hardly noticed the amount of kids because we stayed in the adult only areas.  If Princess is trying to market to the masses and multi-generational families, I think an adult only retreat is a MUST!  Look at Disney, even they know the adults need a place to go!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Those of us who already have reservations in the Signature Suites are already paying for the Sanctuary (actually the formerly named Sun Deck that is now part of the Sanctuary Club. 

Here's the difference for my S9 cabin between my

• booking for two with the Plus package web price: Signature category S9 (deck 15): $2629 plus $153 taxes and fees per person (total = $5564)  (My TA charged $5164)
  • booking for two today with the Premier package web price: Signature category S9 (deck 15):  $3979 plus $153 taxes and fees per person (total = $8264)

A difference of $2700 with the only additional benefit being $20 per day/per person ($280) for the Premier package is highway robbery.  Especially when it seems the Sanctuary and Restaurants may be much more crowded than originally planned.

Thanks for the illustration.  And for clarification - yes, Suite guests already had included access to the Signature Suite sub-section within the Sanctuary.  So, I do agree that the only added benefit if Premier package.

For the Minis and handful of special Balconies, they did not have the Sanctuary access.

I am not surprised there is a huge money-grab here and it won't take long for savvy guests to figure it out.  The question is, will they give up their habit of booking Suites and drop down in protest or switch to another line?  Guests like me are certainly not chomping at the bit to fill ay void and snap up those expensive Suites.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for the illustration.  And for clarification - yes, Suite guests already had included access to the Signature Suite sub-section within the Sanctuary.  So, I do agree that the only added benefit if Premier package.

For the Minis and handful of special Balconies, they did not have the Sanctuary access.

I am not surprised there is a huge money-grab here and it won't take long for savvy guests to figure it out.  The question is, will they give up their habit of booking Suites and drop down in protest or switch to another line?  Guests like me are certainly not chomping at the bit to fill ay void and snap up those expensive Suites.

Wow!  Thanks for the details.  Yes, I don't see myself booking Suites in the future.  That's robbery, plain and simple.  I guess it's time to try out MSC who matched my Princess Elite level with Diamond status.

Edited by reiddg

11 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

"Your real complaint should be that Princess got rid of those other areas on the new class of ship, which again I don't think has anything to do with the conversation here. "

The two are almost inseparable.

...You guys can question and mis-quote all you want....  but, it is all very clear.

Most every ship has an adult area....  an open access adult area... NOT just the exclusive 'Sanctuary'....    Carnival has open adult areas.

The Sun princess, does not....  Not at all.  No adult only option for the majority of guests.

That is a huge 'MISS'

Questioning and throwing comments and doubts does not change that.

Again,  we certainly did not book this cruise, months ago, for the Ports....  The biggest draw was the new ship.  Now that the light of day is shining, and the veil has been lifted... It seems that there is no adult area for guests (non-Sanctuary) onboard.  And it also seems that the ship has a totally different vibe, with a lot of large open spaces.. flashing screens, etc...  That is not what we have enjoyed while cruising Princess.   And, the things we might have looked forward to are no-more.

For us, there are other options out there, and we will be considering whether we will cancel our booking.

Anyone is free to have a different opinion.  No need to go after any other person who is commenting.

2 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you!  Not having an adult area other than the Sanctuary is incredibly disappointing and would prevent me from ever booking on this ship again.  In fact, if I didn't have 4 others booked with us, I would cancel.  I can only hope that since we are sailing early February that there won't be a bunch of kids onboard.  When we cruised over the 4th of July last summer, we hardly noticed the amount of kids because we stayed in the adult only areas.  If Princess is trying to market to the masses and multi-generational families, I think an adult only retreat is a MUST!  Look at Disney, even they know the adults need a place to go!

I agree that the absence of a public AO section for open decks is a miss.  That said, as long as I don't have to sit under or near the noisy MUTS screen, I don't mind a few kids and we wouldn't generally be sailing in prime school holiday periods.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reiddg said:

Wow!  Thanks for the details.  Yes, I don't see myself booking Suites in the future.  That's robbery, plain and simple.

Same- this will be the last bookings for me, as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The question is, will they give up their habit of booking Suites and drop down in protest or switch to another line?  Guests like me are certainly not chomping at the bit to fill ay void and snap up those expensive Suites.

For us the answer is, assuming we don’t cancel before final payment due to crowded conditions, this will be one and done with Princess suites.  We’ve had 2 great cruises in MSC’s Yacht club for the same price as this booking with more perks.  We will continue to sail Princess in our usual mini suites when sailing with my siblings and on special itineraries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

I agree that the absence of a public AO section for open decks is a miss.  That said, as long as I don't have to sit under or near the noisy MUTS screen, I don't mind a few kids and we wouldn't generally be sailing in prime school holiday periods.

The Sea View Terrace may have a few kids near the pool but no MUTS and lovely seating options - and it's complimentary

image.thumb.png.8d9a519617b78f6e5d2baaa3486aafe7.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone already booked in a full suite prior to this change emailed their CVP or higher ups at Princess to ask what "upgrade" is provided to full suite bookings with the Sanctuary Collection?

I am booked in a suite for a cruise in July on the Sun.  I always wanted to try Princess and see if we would enjoy it more than MSC YC.  We loved HAL on the Westerdam and two times on the Rotterdam in Club Orange.  After reading all of the posts I am still looking forward to the Sun.  I have never been on a bad cruise and don’t expect this one to be bad.  Some cruises are better than others and after the up coming cruise I will have sometime to compare with the other cruise lines.  But, again I am sure that we will find more good than bad.   This will be my 50 plus cruise.  Life is good.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, capriccio said:

• booking made in January for two with the Plus package web price: Signature category S9 (deck 15): $2629 plus $153 taxes and fees per person (total = $5564)  (My TA charged $5164)
  • booking for two today with the Premier package web price: Signature category S9 (deck 15):  $3979 plus $153 taxes and fees per person (total = $8264)

A difference of $2700 with the only additional benefit being $20 per day/per person ($280) for the Premier package is highway robbery.  Especially when it seems the Sanctuary and Restaurants may be much more crowded than originally planned.

Given that the price of cruises go up over time, it's hard to say how much of that difference is for Premier and how much is the normal raising of prices that always happens, though.

Just now, MacMadame said:

Given that the price of cruises go up over time, it's hard to say how much of that difference is for Premier and how much is the normal raising of prices that always happens, though.

That price difference is between January and April!  There is nothing ‘normal’ about a $2700 increase in less than 100 days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Wishing on a star I am simply pointing out that when you booked I am guessing you already knew there were no free adult only areas, just the one you had to pay into?  That was clear from before the ship sailed. If so, I don't see the difference other then how you pay to get in (room vs. pass).  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Has anyone already booked in a full suite prior to this change emailed their CVP or higher ups at Princess to ask what "upgrade" is provided to full suite bookings with the Sanctuary Collection?

I have, still waiting on a response. Will try other methods of contact if I’ve not seen a response to my email by tomorrow.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Those of us who already have reservations in the Signature Suites are already paying for the Sanctuary (actually the formerly named Sun Deck that is now part of the Sanctuary Club).

• booking made in January for two with the Plus package web price: Signature category S9 (deck 15): $2629 plus $153 taxes and fees per person (total = $5564)  (My TA charged $5164)

Right. 
im in a S9 solo. Paid $4717 no package. Add $560 for the premier and it’s $5277. Booked today $8,051.

Transatlantic on Sun booked in a C1. Price has stayed the same but if booked today, reserve dining is removed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

No upgrade at all.  As a Suite passenger, I feel "screwed".  there is actually a dilution of benefits, in that more people will be eating in the Signature dining room, and our exclusive area on top of the ship in the Sanctuary portion is given over to hoi polloi as well.  The only thing left is the Signature Lounge.  Certainly don't want a bunch of peasant types in there.;-)

Seriously, it's a step back.  I'm sailing in May, hopefully, none of the changes will be made by then.  And they will honor the target date of October.  Yeah, they had the nerve to send me news about the (non) upgrade!!!!

Cunard, here I come.  (Queen's Grill)   Thank the Lord, the Class System is alive and well in the UK.  Our own Tea Lounge, too.

If you want to have a gripe session I'll be in cabin 15639 next to the Signature Lounge>:-)

Edited by mrmarklin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

No upgrade at all.  As a Suite passenger, I feel "screwed".  there is actually a dilution of benefits, in that more people will be eating in the Signature dining room, and our exclusive area on top of the ship in the Sanctuary portion is given over to hoi polloi as well.  The only thing left is the Signature Lounge.  Certainly don't want a bunch of peasant types in there.;-)

Seriously, it's a step back.  I'm sailing in May, hopefully, none of the changes will be made by then.  And they will honor the target date of October.  Yeah, they had the nerve to send me news about the (non) upgrade!!!!

Cunard, here I come.  (Queen's Grill) 

If you want to have a gripe session I'll be in cabin 15639 next to the Signature Lounge>:-)

What is the difference between Sanctuary access to select balcony cabins and Sanctuary day passes being sold to the winners of the embarking day marathon, as in the old way? Either way you’d be sharing with the hoi pollloi. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

Cunard, here I come.  (Queen's Grill)   Thank the Lord, the Class System is alive and well in the UK.  Our own Tea Lounge, too.

I was going to say the same thing. This is a HUGE devalue of what was marketed as an exclusive dedicated suite experience. 

We booked a penthouse suite for November - with the Premier package - expecting a private area on the sundeck, a private suite only restaurant and lounge. 

With these changes we are now sharing all of those spaces with up to 428 other people (215 cabins at double occupancy) except the suite lounge. 

We can’t help but feel duped - these are BIG changes and not at all what we thought we paid for with our Signature Suite booking. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

What is the difference between Sanctuary access to select balcony cabins and Sanctuary day passes being sold to the winners of the embarking day marathon, as in the old way? Either way you’d be sharing with the hoi pollloi. 

There was a Signature Suite area in the Sanctuary which seems to have disappeared from the updated deck plans. 

Original deck plans:

image.png.f05618a116ddefba1531b9f9bdd38f26.png

UPDATED deck plan:

image.png.6af503f06d2da83d580a34272fb02c6b.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

There was a Signature Suite area in the Sanctuary which seems to have disappeared from the updated deck plans. 

Original deck plans:

image.png.f05618a116ddefba1531b9f9bdd38f26.png

UPDATED deck plan:

image.png.6af503f06d2da83d580a34272fb02c6b.png

That actually looks like a lot more room than suites originally had, like 4 times as much. The question is, do those additional Sanctuary Club cabins add up to more or less than the number of day passes that are being sold on sailings between now and October.  I personally don’t think the original Signature area was big enough for 80 suites. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

That actually looks like a lot more room than suites originally had, like 4 times as much. The question is, do those additional Sanctuary Club cabins add up to more or less than the number of day passes that are being sold on sailings between now and October.  I personally don’t think the original Signature area was big enough for 80 suites. 

I’m fairly certain suites had access to both the sanctuary and the signature sun deck before. So they had access to the entire area but had a private suite only area within that area which has now disappeared.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

….but now there is NO dedicated suite space. 

• Like 1

Just now, keldaria said:

I’m fairly certain suites had access to both the sanctuary and the signature sun deck before. So they had access to the entire area but had a private suite only area within that area which has now disappeared.

Correct

12 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Suite always had access to the entire area, but there was a small area that was exclusive to suite guests. An offering that suite guests paid a premium for.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

Those of us who already have reservations in the Signature Suites are already paying for the Sanctuary (actually the formerly named Sun Deck that is now part of the Sanctuary Club).

I booked my group in February.  S9's for $3300 and Penthouses (S4's) for $3500pp all with Premier.  They are now over $2200/2 more.

This also happened when I booked Celebrity's newest ship in Suites, within weeks. 

The reason we booked the suites was for the 'dedicated dining, lounge and pool area'.  Now that is being sold to the mini's and Deluxe Balconies and an area that was designed for 80 suites now has 135 more cabins included which means crowds at the pool and for dining.

Yes, there are some of us that like the benefits of a larger ship but also like some 'less crowded' time not amongst the masses and are willing to pay a bit more for it.

For Princess to change these aspects of this class of cabins, basically to sell access on a bit by bit basis depletes the benefits to all.

Not sure who's brilliant idea this was ('hey, let's open up the exclusive suite benefits to twice as many cabins, it'll be FINE')?