Semi-Live Voyager for 33 nights beginning May 1, 2024

Lunch at Le Pepica was good, although a bit rich, and pricey, but I knew the pricey part heading in.  We took the shuttle from RCI to the port terminal entrance.  Valencia is a commercial port and you are not allowed to just walk off the ship.  We had spent a couple of days in Valencia on a land tour 18 years earlier, during the America’s cup lead up races so the city looks very much the same, but without the large America’s cup presence, although there are still lots of signs of the America’s Cup in the harbor including a yard with lots of old hulls of racing boats that appear to be just left to time.  We walked the 1.2 miles to Le Pepica and the huge public beach there.  We were early and we shopped a bit at an Ale Hop store, lots of cute stuff (mostly things you don’t need), and we bought a few little items.  After we still had time to kill so we sat watching the beach.  Ran into some of the sports staff as they were obviously coming to the beach to eat and drink a bit. At 1PM we joined the line to enter Le Pepica which took about 15 minutes to get seated, as the line was probably 75 people long in front of us all with 1PM reservations.  Upon entering, we realized this was the same restaurant we had eaten at 18 years prior.  🤣

After we walked back after stopping at a Farmacia for some sundry items.  

The FlowRider had extremely early and late hours so I didn’t surf at all.  The staff replaced the glass, and it looks better and safer (ie not held in place by lines holding it in place.  

We did not go to the farewell show, but I understand the liar game show was entertaining.  

JC

• Like 4

Yesterday was the end of the cruise.  We woke up at 7AM finished packing the bags and found our stateroom attendant to give him our information about our new cabin, to hopefully help him transfer the bags.  The process to get the new room key was easy, and we got off the ship around 9AM.  Got to the free shuttle to take us to the World Trade Center in Barcelona.  It left promptly.  According to Dale from the FlowRider they had been on the bus for over 30 minutes before it left.  We had a similar wait at the end of the day.  We walked up Las Ramblas, before very much was open for business.  Arrived at Catalunya Park and started shopping at Zara, Desequil, Primark, UniQlo, El Cortes Ingles, and other shops, as we made our way to La Sagrada Familia Cathedral. We ate lunch at McDonald’s since we were trying to avoid a long delayed lunch. We still arrived early for our entrance time so we walked the blocks around the cathedral, and Krystal bought a t-shirt at one of the sketchy tourist shops.  

The cathedral has made a lot of progress since the last time we were there.  The inside to my eye looks almost completely finished.  It is to my eye the most unique and beautiful cathedral we have visited.  I am not a Gaudi devotee, but I think he must truly have been a genius.  He clearly had a unique vision about how to build a Gothic Cathedral.  

During our walk around the block, we noticed the shortage of available taxis, so we decided to walk back since we had about 20 minutes to spare at the worst case scenario and most like another 30 minutes.  Our feet were on fire when we got to the bus.  When we got to our state room I had walked 24,449 steps (over 10 miles) per my Apple Watch. Since we had our new stateroom cards with a red sticker we skipped right past the last of the arrivals for our cruise.  Cleared security.  Went to the duty free shop bought our two bottles of wine and was disappointed that there was no more security, I could have bought more! 😂

Our luggage was in our new cabin waiting for us.  Our old cabin was 9390 corner aft deck 9.  It was small and run down.  The balcony was nice, but was covered heavily with soot every time we had a port call.  James our steward hadn’t addressed it since before Malaga, and it was pretty nasty.  Our new cabin is much larger, but we lost our two lounge chairs so it only has a taller table and two chairs.  The view from the aft corner was amazing for star gazing and seeing the horizon, our new cabin had been washed and had about 3/4”  of water on the floor.  We asked our steward to address it and after dinner at Giovanni’s it was mostly gone.  We have the upgraded amenities (shampoo etc) in our new cabins.  Much more closet space, bathroom shelves, nicer Villery Boch sink, etc.  Krystal likes our new cabin much more.  

After putting my stuff in the closet after unpacking, I headed off to the FlowRider.  Got there about 4;15 and surfed for about 75 minutes.  Line was short with a couple of new boogie boarders.  Holdovers Dale (winner of all the titles for surfing) and Jay the comedian were there.  There is a new blue band young man, Rob from Isle of Wight.  Before Advanced stand-up started at 5:30PM it was just the three holdovers.  I had a blister on my great toe from the walking and I was a sluggish surfer at best.  Jay saw me fall, and said, he didn’t realize I could fall.🤣  I fell about 3 times.  It was coolish, so I left Dale and Jay the wave for the last 15 minutes.  I asked Jay when he performs again, and he actually doesn’t know for sure. I found that strange, but hardly surprising.  

Dinner was super slow for our first BOGO at Giovannis, and we met an interesting couple from Florida originally New Jersey which I could have guessed without being told.  The husband used me as a prop for people who are part of his group at another table.  Again, the New Jersey showed thru amazingly well.  😂. It was all fine, but a bit weird.  O well.  He said he would be up to watch me surf at 9AM, and we will see, considering how much wine they had at dinner I would think the chances are slim and none.  After we went to the Schooner bar to get some Gran Marnier to drink on the balcony with its limited view.  

The new bed seemed firmer than the last, but it could be the miles we walked and the additional falling on the FlowRider.  In the Crown Lounge this morning, and it is a tiny fraction of the people in line of the previous cruise for the coffee machine.  Last night we arrived after 6PM and there were many empty chairs.  So, that is better.  Heddy, a pin, said she was not allowed in the suite lounge on the previous sailing that she was 5 points short of that cut off, but she is allowed in on this cruise, so obviously, a lot less C&A big numbers on this cruise. Yay!

We are doing a Royal tour of Nice and Eze today.  

Ciao, off to the cabin to prep for the FlowRider.  

jc

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yesterday was the end of the cruise.  We woke up at 7AM finished packing the bags and found our stateroom attendant to give him our information about our new cabin, to hopefully help him transfer the bags.  The process to get the new room key was easy, and we got off the ship around 9AM.  Got to the free shuttle to take us to the World Trade Center in Barcelona.  It left promptly.  According to Dale from the FlowRider they had been on the bus for over 30 minutes before it left.  We had a similar wait at the end of the day.  We walked up Las Ramblas, before very much was open for business.  Arrived at Catalunya Park and started shopping at Zara, Desequil, Primark, UniQlo, El Cortes Ingles, and other shops, as we made our way to La Sagrada Familia Cathedral. We ate lunch at McDonald’s since we were trying to avoid a long delayed lunch. We still arrived early for our entrance time so we walked the blocks around the cathedral, and Krystal bought a t-shirt at one of the sketchy tourist shops.  

The cathedral has made a lot of progress since the last time we were there.  The inside to my eye looks almost completely finished.  It is to my eye the most unique and beautiful cathedral we have visited.  I am not a Gaudi devotee, but I think he must truly have been a genius.  He clearly had a unique vision about how to build a Gothic Cathedral.  

During our walk around the block, we noticed the shortage of available taxis, so we decided to walk back since we had about 20 minutes to spare at the worst case scenario and most like another 30 minutes.  Our feet were on fire when we got to the bus.  When we got to our state room I had walked 24,449 steps (over 10 miles) per my Apple Watch. Since we had our new stateroom cards with a red sticker we skipped right past the last of the arrivals for our cruise.  Cleared security.  Went to the duty free shop bought our two bottles of wine and was disappointed that there was no more security, I could have bought more! 😂

Our luggage was in our new cabin waiting for us.  Our old cabin was 9390 corner aft deck 9.  It was small and run down.  The balcony was nice, but was covered heavily with soot every time we had a port call.  James our steward hadn’t addressed it since before Malaga, and it was pretty nasty.  Our new cabin is much larger, but we lost our two lounge chairs so it only has a taller table and two chairs.  The view from the aft corner was amazing for star gazing and seeing the horizon, our new cabin had been washed and had about 3/4”  of water on the floor.  We asked our steward to address it and after dinner at Giovanni’s it was mostly gone.  We have the upgraded amenities (shampoo etc) in our new cabins.  Much more closet space, bathroom shelves, nicer Villery Boch sink, etc.  Krystal likes our new cabin much more.  

After putting my stuff in the closet after unpacking, I headed off to the FlowRider.  Got there about 4;15 and surfed for about 75 minutes.  Line was short with a couple of new boogie boarders.  Holdovers Dale (winner of all the titles for surfing) and Jay the comedian were there.  There is a new blue band young man, Rob from Isle of Wight.  Before Advanced stand-up started at 5:30PM it was just the three holdovers.  I had a blister on my great toe from the walking and I was a sluggish surfer at best.  Jay saw me fall, and said, he didn’t realize I could fall.🤣  I fell about 3 times.  It was coolish, so I left Dale and Jay the wave for the last 15 minutes.  I asked Jay when he performs again, and he actually doesn’t know for sure. I found that strange, but hardly surprising.  

Dinner was super slow for our first BOGO at Giovannis, and we met an interesting couple from Florida originally New Jersey which I could have guessed without being told.  The husband used me as a prop for people who are part of his group at another table.  Again, the New Jersey showed thru amazingly well.  😂. It was all fine, but a bit weird.  O well.  He said he would be up to watch me surf at 9AM, and we will see, considering how much wine they had at dinner I would think the chances are slim and none.  After we went to the Schooner bar to get some Gran Marnier to drink on the balcony with its limited view.  

The new bed seemed firmer than the last, but it could be the miles we walked and the additional falling on the FlowRider.  In the Crown Lounge this morning, and it is a tiny fraction of the people in line of the previous cruise for the coffee machine.  Last night we arrived after 6PM and there were many empty chairs.  So, that is better.  Heddy, a pin, said she was not allowed in the suite lounge on the previous sailing that she was 5 points short of that cut off, but she is allowed in on this cruise, so obviously, a lot less C&A big numbers on this cruise. Yay!

We are doing a Royal tour of Nice and Eze today.  

Ciao, off to the cabin to prep for the FlowRider.  

jc

Thanks JC, great story telling.  Every time I go through Barcelona I kick myself for not buying wine in the outlet after security 😁

Looking forward to hearing more 

We were in the English surfing town of Perranporth yesterday. There were about 20 stand up and boogie board surfers 🏄‍♀️ in the sea, but water temp was only about 13c so I decided against 

20240516_120707.thumb.jpg.e9c06f2a317d52529c06b98671efdbbe.jpg

20240516_130807.thumb.jpg.32f9def67b4cb8314505936472a14294.jpg

Edited by sgmn

Thanks for the updates jc.  Always great to read reviews from someone who has their cruising priorities straight!  

So we are on express train from Civitivecchia to Roma Termini. On my iPhone so can’t type a lot. Chaos getting a taxi at port. We followed directions of ship officers and those waiting for shuttle thought that put them in taxi line. Fortunately taxi driver made sure we got in. Beat the rush to train ticket line and quickly got our tickets car 6 seat 11 &  12C. 

Nice was very nice!🤣 will update later. Too much port time on this sailing. 

OB no headaches or any symptoms that I can think of.

ciao

• Like 1

Two days ago was Nice, which was very nice.🤣  Did an expensive tour for what it was thru RCI.  Took a boat from the ship to Nice from Villefrance harbor.  Got on a bus next to a small cruise ship and a bunch of mega yachts.  This little harbor was prepping for Monaco GP next weekend, as they had shops selling all of the F1 team’s merch.  I would have fancied a little time shopping there.  We then took a bus to the main drop off area in Nice.  When we returned at the end of the day, there was some ceremony with military and police, and the police did not want us to cross the street or do drop offs.  I think it was an event associated with a former Israeli Prime Minister, as I recognized the face on the video screen in the park.  

After drop off, we went straight up the perpendicular street for shopping.  We visited lots of stores and ate lunch at a small cafe.  Had a completely amazing dessert at Ballanger.  We ate a crepe with chocolate, strawberries, and bananas and we drank a crazy milk shake.  That was about 18 euros.  Yummy.  We went into a large department store, and saw a shopping / beach person by a company called Sandro, but they didn’t have a price on the bag, so it didn’t get purchased.  Krystal bought a somewhat similar but obviously much cheaper other purse at one of the little shops that specialized in shoes.  

After lunch we went up and down the main beach area old town streets, and after a couple of hours in that maze we went back to drop off area and were taken to the tender port in Villefrance where we waited for about 30 minutes to get on a tender to get back on the ship.  We walked only about 15,000 steps in Nice.  My feet were tired, after 4 straight days in port.  

I surfed for 30 minutes before going to Nice first thing in the morning.  This cruise is not going to be the surfing unicorn that the last one was.  Too many ports and too many people in line during mixed wave.  

Rome is always a great but exhausting place to visit.  After we got out of the Termini train station we went directly to the Spanish Steps.  When we arrived there, we were amazed at the number of tourists.  Massive throngs of people everywhere.  Yikes.  Shops were opening, so we wandered down the steps to them.🤣  Since a lot of those shops are super stupid expensive and exclusive we mostly window shopped, although we did enter a few.  On about the third loop of streets we found a Sandro store.  We went in and bought the purse we had seen the day prior in Nice.  Just under 400 euro.  Ouch, but she liked it.  Later we found a shop with a pair of Birkenstocks that she liked there went another 135 euros.  We then walked to the Trevi Fountain, and that little piazza was jam packed full of people.  It was insane.  We had been to Rome on two different trips, and we had visited the Trevi fountain, multiple times from those trips.  My pictures from 2000 and 2004 look like we were the only ones there comparatively.  

We then headed off to the Panthenon to find a place to eat.  We stopped at a little restaurant in the corner of a tiny street.  Ate a Fruiti Da Mare Pizza and an arugula mixed salad and both were wonderful.  Krystal had a Limoncello Spritz and I an Aperol Spritz.  Very yummy.  After this and a visit to the aforementioned church/pagen monument we found a dress to buy.  It was only about 60 euro.  I am sure it will fall apart shortly, but it looked cute on her.  We then walked to the Colliseum and past the Roman Forum, Arch of Triumph and other historical places, only to find massive crowds.  Much of the road was blocked off, and it looked like they were preparing for a parade or something similar.  

Finally, we completed our circuit of Rome and arrived about 90 minutes before our return train.  We had another Aperol and Limoncello Spritz before I decided to try to figure out which of the 29 tracks our train was going to be on.  The boards only show about the next 30 minutes of departures, and our train didn’t declare a track until 15 minutes prior to our departure.  That was a bit of a pain in the bottom and Krystal was worrying that I had been killed or something because of how long I was gone, silly girl.  After the train ride we caught a cab 6 euro each with 6 other RCI passengers and returned to the ship.  When we got to our cabin my watch indicated that I had done something near 28,000 steps.  No wonder my feet were so tired.

continued

• Like 4

Yesterday, we did a tour with RCI, which could have been a great tour if we could have skipped the bus portion.  We left in a bus from the harbor in Naples to Sorrento.  We could have taken a ferry from Naples to Sorrento.  We had about 2-1/2 hours in Sorrento, where we repeated our Roman lunch at the Fauno Bar.  It was a bit more expensive and the pizza and salad were not nearly as good.  However, the Aperol and Limoncello spritzes were great.  🤣  We walked the streets and looked at the shops, but since it was Sunday only the local trinket shops were open so we didn’t buy anything.  After this stop we rejoined the bus for a 90 minute hot as HE double Hockey sticks ride to Salerno, again, we could easily have taken a ferry from Sorrento to Salerno.  When we got to Salerno we finally got on a motor launch with about 4 or 5 bus loads of people and went to Amalfi about a 30 minute boat ride.  The best part of the tour.  We went past our villa from my favorite land trip in 2004 and could see so many familiar sites.  I enjoyed that.  When we got to Amalfi, we wandered thru the Main Street up the hill past the church with so many people that it was a little claustrophobic.  We were to meet back at the drop point at 3:30PM and after a limoncello and lemon sorbet we did so.  Unfortunately, two people of our 47 bus mates didn’t show up at 3:30PM nor at 3:45PM.  I only know we had 47 originally because we counted twice😜.  This is why I hate ship bus tours.  Finally after we loaded on the boat short two people, I could hear our tour guide talking to them and something about chocolate.  We finally departed Amalfi to head back to Salerno about 30 minutes late.  Fortunately, our complaints about the hot bus were rewarded as the bus had sit with the AC running for some amount of time before we got back and it was almost comfortable for the last 75 minutes back to Naples.  

I do not understand why they don’t skip the buses.  It would have been a perfect trip if the motor launch had picked us up or dropped us in either Naples or Salerno.  Then bus to and back from one of those choices.  We could have enjoyed a lot more of the Amalfi coast.  I would happily pay more for that trip.  

Our ship was delayed departing because of our late return.  I had only walked 14000 steps when I got to our cabin.  Such a relaxing foot day!😂

We were tired and we had a couple of glasses of wine in the cabin, then ate in the WJ.  The only thing I found that I liked was the Sweet and Sour Chicken, and there were dregs in the wok and they never replaced it.  So, OB, my opinion of the WJ for dinner is not good.  

This morning I arrived for Advanced stand-up and there were 4 of us.  So, had a good hour and 1 more run.  We surfed with Stromboli in the background.  Lovely!

Lunch in the MDR was typical, and as we were leaving the ship leaned hard to port.  We were entering the straits of Messina!  So we rushed up to the decks and the winds were whipping the flags madly, and the railings of the ship were packed.  Took some pictures then off to the cabin. I have been downloading photos, paying bills, and other housekeeping activities that I have neglected for a while.  I am going to dress now for the FlowRider.  It is still mixed wave for 45 minutes then an hour of advanced.

ciao

jc

• Like 6

9 hours ago, little britain said:

Need pics of the Sandro handbag please??!

Glad to see you’re keeping hydrated with Aperol Spritzes!! 😋 

How are you doing after your debacle at the Barcelona Airport?

13 hours ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

Where does the shuttle pickup passengers for the cruise terminal on embarkation day? I’m on Odyssey out of Civitivecchia and want to know where to walk to that morning. Largo Della Pace or by Fort Michelangelo?  

Largo della Pace 

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

How are you doing after your debacle at the Barcelona Airport?

Thanks for asking.  It still weighs on my mind a lot for my stupidity. We submitted the insurance claim of over £2200 for that one second of taking my eye off the bag 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

image.png.79201a1b129dc019b823f88657e4bc5a.png

From the Sandro web page.  It is still in the fancy shopping bag in the cabin.

We did the War History of Malta tour thru RCI, a lady in our group got locked into a bathroom for about 45 minutes, and it took a man with a large pry bar to get her out.  That put us behind schedule, so when we got back to the ship after the stop at the Mostra Dome basilica we decided to not walk around and got back on the ship, partly because we were not sure of the sail away time.  So, I surfed for the last 2 hours in the mixed wave and the AS sessions.  We would have had plenty of time it turns out as we didn't pull away until almost 6:30PM.  Valleta's grand harbor is one of the neatest ports to sail into or out of in my opinion.  I watched it from the wave.  

Today is the last sea day as we are on the Ionic Sea.  It is hazy again, and around 70PM.  They didn't have an AS session this morning and a short mixed wave.  So, I lazed in the cabin.  We have been having toilet issues, for the second day.  So, that has been a bit of a pain.  We left yesterday on our tour with an over flowing toilet, fortunately we are on deck 12 and there are public restrooms very close by.  Still, not awesome.  

Tried to eat at the WJ for lunch, I stood in the stir fry line for 30 minutes before I gave up.  The process needs work, it is the best reason for lunch in the WJ.  So, I grabbed some stuff, slammed it down, got a ice cream cone on the pool deck and finished it in Studio B to watch the first performance of the Ice show with the new cast that joined us in Galveston, but performed it for the first time today.  I think this cast is better than the previous cast, but they could have been burned out while this one is new.  I am not all that knowledgeable about this matter.  However, the Ice show is in my opinion the best show on the ship, way better than the productions shows. 

I plan on surfing at 4 ish today until 6PM. At 6PM it is the best of the best.  I assume Dale will win again, unless Tom competes, they are the only people on this sailing that do tricks.  I am not entering because being the best carver doesn't count.  😆  I am definitely the oldest again, that also doesn't count.  There is another comedian / magician tonight we plan on attending at 7:30PM.  Tonight is our second 70s party, so K is happy.  Deme from the sports staff, who is married to one of the ice cast danced last time and he seemed a bit out of his element.  We will see if he improves.  Bradley from South Africa dances as well, but he seems to fit the role better.  Hopefully Dale won't steal the rings I gathered from the cast from me again.  

jc

• Like 3

On 5/20/2024 at 11:06 AM, little britain said:

Need pics of the Sandro handbag please??!

Glad to see you’re keeping hydrated with Aperol Spritzes!! 😋 

I try my best to keep hydrated, and there are few drinks that make me feel more like summer than the two we have been drinking.  I like them because they are refreshing and not high in alcohol which is good when you are in foreign lands and need to keep your wits.

jc

• Like 2

Valletta is one of my favorite ports to sail in-out as well.  Instead of passing one old fort you are immersed in a medieval-looking environment.  Unfortunately for me I was on Celebrity when we cruised there so I couldn't watch it from the wave.  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 11:30 PM, little britain said:

Thanks for asking.  It still weighs on my mind a lot for my stupidity. We submitted the insurance claim of over £2200 for that one second of taking my eye off the bag 🤦‍♀️

I’m sorry but what happened at the airport?  We fly into Barcelona for a cruise later this year.  We were going to have two checked bags and two carryon wheelie bags.  I didn’t want more than 4 bags for 4 hands.  

45 minutes ago, firstimer2009 said:

I’m sorry but what happened at the airport?  We fly into Barcelona for a cruise later this year.  We were going to have two checked bags and two carryon wheelie bags.  I didn’t want more than 4 bags for 4 hands.  

My handbag (purse) was stolen after we had checked in our cases. We were still land side. - an Algerian youth distracted us whilst his accomplice stole my brand new bag containing both passports, credit cards, cash, spectacles, etc.  So hang on to your possessions- although my friend had her new iPhone stolen in the airport terminal too on another occasion 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, little britain said:

My handbag (purse) was stolen after we had checked in our cases. We were still land side. - an Algerian youth distracted us whilst his accomplice stole my brand new bag containing both passports, credit cards, cash, spectacles, etc.  So hang on to your possessions- although my friend had her new iPhone stolen in the airport terminal too on another occasion 

OH NO !  Sorry to hear this.  Scoundrels....

19 minutes ago, little britain said:

How awful for you.  That is probably my biggest nightmare.  I did buy a anti-theft backpack that is quite colorful for travel days and days in port.  The last time we were on a Med cruise was Oct 2019 and we were careful but I think we have to double down on safety this time.

• Like 1