Celebrity in Hot Water - Edge sailed too close to Kauai’s NaPali Coast

Just thinking out-loud here, according to his IG Captain Alex is currently on Edge as a guest. I wonder of there is any correlation between the Hawaii incident and Captain from the head office being onboard. My other thought was Captain Alex has Alaska experience or maybe just a vacation.

We were on the following cruise. Hawaii to Vancouver. Due to the Captian thinking, "He is the Captain" he could due WHATEVER he wanted we lost out from doing the scenic coastal cruise. Whenever the Captain spoke to us he always worked in the fact the He is the Captain and he can do whatever he wants. His actions caused us to miss out on a big part of our cruise. I can't believe he wasn't fired. Why would Celebrity keep him employed?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

We were on the following cruise. Hawaii to Vancouver. Due to the Captian thinking, "He is the Captain" he could due WHATEVER he wanted we lost out from doing the scenic coastal cruise. Whenever the Captain spoke to us he always worked in the fact the He is the Captain and he can do whatever he wants. His actions caused us to miss out on a big part of our cruise. I can't believe he wasn't fired. Why would Celebrity keep him employed?

We were on the same cruise and thought the captain spoke well with the announcements, didn’t get the impression at all that he was trying to remind us he was in charge and could do what he wanted. Yes, he introduced himself by saying he was Captain Matt but am sure every time we’ve cruised the captain introduces him or herself that way. And don’t think anyone can offer an opinion on whether he should be sacked without knowing the full facts.

• Like 4

I was on a X cruise where the captain described the process for creating a cruise itinerary for X.  It was a long session but several things he said gives me 100% confidence that what was done here was completely planned, and went completely by the plan.  It was a great lecture and it was amazing to me the details that go into route planning for X.  I will say that from what he said, because they were close to shore, they would have had all hands on/in the bridge, like when they enter the harbor and dock.  Has anyone else been to that lecture, I can't believe it was just a one time thing?  

1 hour ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

What exactly was missed on your cruise?

Have you ever sailed Celebrity before? The Captains are known for having a bit of dry wit humor about them...

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Have you ever sailed Celebrity before? The Captains are known for having a bit of dry wit humor about them...

I believe they canceled the Na Pali coast sail by and gave them a port as a replacement.   

2 hours ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

X captains can DEFINITELY not do whatever they want.  They cannot deviate from the planned route unless they get approval and coordination from the team in FL.

2 hours ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

We have sailed with Captain Matt several times and have had the opportunity to visit with him on several occasions. He has never come across like this. In fact, he actually helped my husband with his bag when getting off the ship in St. Maarten. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

We were scheduled to do the scenic cruise past the island.. the very same island where "I'm the Captain I don't need to stay 3,000 feet from shore! I will go as close as I please" went the last day of the Australia to Hawaii cruise just before our cruise. 

1 hour ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

We were scheduled to do the scenic cruise past the island.. the very same island where "I'm the Captain I don't need to stay 3,000 feet from shore! I will go as close as I please" went the last day of the Australia to Hawaii cruise just before our cruise. 

And, you don't know, since you weren't on for that cruise, that he was even aware of the restricted zone, let alone bragged about violating it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

"I'm the Captain I don't need to stay 3,000 feet from shore! I will go as close as I please" 

Direct quote (as you allege), or hearsay?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

What makes you think he said that? I don’t believe it for a minute. We have had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Matt a couple of times and have gotten to know him. He would NEVER do something reckless and act as if he could do what he wants. He wouldn't take the chance of losing his job. He is an EXCELLENT captain!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

What makes you think he said that? I don’t believe it for a minute. We have had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Matt a couple of times and have gotten to know him. He would NEVER do something reckless and act as if he could do what he wants. He wouldn't take the chance of losing his job. He is an EXCELLENT captain!

Can’t agree more. He is so conscientious and a real down-to- earth family man. We have nothing but respect for him. We’ve had the opportunity to be on the bridge with him and observe his caution and precision. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, yogini06 said:

I believe they canceled the Na Pali coast sail by and gave them a port as a replacement.   

The funny thing is that the Na Pali was a replacement for a port on the Sydney - Honolulu leg and some complained about that for months.  The next cruise Na Pali coast was switched to a port and some weren’t happy with that, seems it was a no win.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rmalbers said:

X captains can DEFINITELY not do whatever they want.  They cannot deviate from the planned route unless they get approval and coordination from the team in FL.

Plus the route for every day has to be signed off by every Bridge Officer from the lowest to the Captain plus the Environmental Officer before its submitted to Corporate. A system one Captain described as planning by Committee.

12 hours ago, jwlane said:

Direct quote (as you allege), or hearsay?

you are free to search youTube for the news reports of the ship and it's location that was VERY close to shore. This was the reason we were not allowed to do that scenic cruise day. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

you are free to search youTube for the news reports of the ship and it's location that was VERY close to shore. This was the reason we were not allowed to do that scenic cruise day. 

Not disputed. Also not the question. Did your hear the captain state he could go wherever he wanted to? That's what you're accusing him of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I was on a X cruise where the captain described the process for creating a cruise itinerary for X.  It was a long session but several things he said gives me 100% confidence that what was done here was completely planned, and went completely by the plan.  It was a great lecture and it was amazing to me the details that go into route planning for X.  I will say that from what he said, because they were close to shore, they would have had all hands on/in the bridge, like when they enter the harbor and dock.  Has anyone else been to that lecture, I can't believe it was just a one time thing?  

We did the "Best of Spain and Portugal" cruise on the Infinity back in October 2023. The captain's talk in the main theater was very enjoyable, and covered all sorts of the usual "running the ship" topics, but he delved relatively deeply into the PLANNING, APPROVAL, and EXECUTION steps for cruises.  Long story, short, there are a LOT of checks and balances, approvals, and sign offs for pretty much every miles of a cruise and ANY deviation is met with it's own set of check, balances, sign-offs, etc..  

We also visited the bridge on the that cruise (after the lecture) and you could literally see all that effort on display in the mapping & navigation screens they were using.

Surely, they were capable of deviating from the planned course, but it didn't seem like something they readily would do.

8 hours ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

Non-responsive.  Direct quote or hearsay?

11 hours ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

What reputable YT news sources?  The sensationalism of the cruise vloggers who never met a story they couldn’t monetize with scowl face, thumbs down, brutally honest reviews!

10 hours ago, Liao said:

What reputable YT news sources?  The sensationalism of the cruise vloggers who never met a story they couldn’t monetize with scowl face, thumbs down, brutally honest reviews!

a local TV station had the news report on a YT video.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, markeb said:

Not disputed. Also not the question. Did your hear the captain state he could go wherever he wanted to? That's what you're accusing him of.

Yes, in the main theater. He worked it in 2 times. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, netjerko1 said:

Just as I figured.

The Hawai‘i Department of Land and Natural Resources Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement failed to find any evidence that the Celebrity Cruise Lines ship Celebrity Edge violated any state rules.

• Like 1