Animal Sighting Advisory

Just appeared on todays cruise compass:

”Occasionally animals may find their way onboard our ships. For your safety, if you encounter any animals onboard, it is prohibited to interact with or touch them. We ask that you please report any sightings or encounters to any of our Officers or Crew.”

I am absolutely outraged that only now do they tell us! All week I’ve been using them to dry myself! Not only that, but I suspect the “crew” have been leaving them?

IMG_8208.jpeg

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, island lady said:

And when there is a lack of toilet paper.....

Best towel animal pics only - GO! : r/Cruise

Bucky needs to work on his tan. Hardly recognized him without his sandals on. 😁

• Haha 3

This is not all of that uncommon folks...

I was sitting at Trellis bar on Wonder right about sunset just people watching. Saw a family going through the bushes duck hunting. A small mouse came running out of the bushes and scared the bejesus out of the little girl as it raced over to the other side of the walkway.

I was laughing so hard my martini came out of my nose 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

21 minutes ago, doghog said:

Bucky needs to work on his tan. Hardly recognized him without his sandals on. 😁

He does look happy though.  😄 😄 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I once saw a very hairy animal getting out of the hottub with a large stomach, a mankini and a drink.  Forgot to report it.

I can only apologise! 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I once saw a very hairy animal getting out of the hottub with a large stomach, a mankini and a drink.  Forgot to report it.

I'll bet your husband was thankful you didn't report him. 😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, island lady said:

And when there is a lack of toilet paper.....

Best towel animal pics only - GO! : r/Cruise

I’ve seen a lot of towel animals over the years but that one takes the cake! Awesome!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, doghog said:

I'll bet your husband was thankful you didn't report him. 😂

Lol, sorry, I'm picky.  I prefer muscular in shape triathletes.  

20240331_141816.jpg

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We saw a bird in the Solarium /Park Cafe area.  It was quite odd since we were out at sea; the poor thing must've been hiding onboard.  Several passengers tried (unsuccessfully) to capture it, then the crew got in on it.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Lol, sorry, I'm picky.  I prefer muscular in shape triathletes.  

20240331_141816.jpg

Where’s the rest of the picture? 🤔

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We saw a bird in the Solarium /Park Cafe area.  It was quite odd since we were out at sea; the poor thing must've been hiding onboard.  Several passengers tried (unsuccessfully) to capture it, then the crew got in on it.  

On Mariner last week there was a bird in the Viking Crown Lounge.  It was flying up around the ceiling and passengers and staff just looked at it.  It flew upstairs, I guess it wanted to try the escape room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Years ago we sailed on the Horizon (Celebrity), repositioning from Baltimore to Tampa.  Leaving Bermuda, a crane came onboard near the rear of the ship.  The bird stayed on until we got the the British Virgin Islands.  He then flew away.  Passengers threw food to the bird which he enjoyed.  He was our stowaway!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Forget which ship we were on but DH and I saw a small hawk fly onto the pool deck from one side, attempting to do a "fly-by" by exiting the other side. Unfortunately, the poor hawk hit a closed window on the other side and was knocked unconscious. I picked up a cloth napkin and placed it over the hawk, picking it up to see if it was alive or dead. He was unconscious but breathing. A young woman came over to me, explaining that she was a wild animal rehabber and asked to check it out for physical damage. I handed her the little hawk and she proceeded to check out it's wings for any damage. No damage found. She then promised to take it up to the higher open deck and sit with the hawk until (hopefully) it regained consciousness. Lo and behold, the little hawk woke up and flew off of the ship. The little hawk circled the ship (as if to say thank you) and flew away. It was a really wonderful thing to see! I would do the exact same thing again in a heart beat!

Another time, while on a cruise, a queen bee decided to leave the island and brought her worker bees with her to the pool deck, where she decided to nest under one of the deck umbrellas. It was amazing to see how quickly so many bees nested under that umbrella! We notified ship staff, who quickly roped off the area, donned those white (Covid) suits, and brought Henry (the ship vacuum) with them. They proceeded to "suck up" all (or most) of the bees. We asked them what would happen to the bees and we were told that they would be taken back to the island and released. I hope that happened. Luckily, no one got stung!

Happy cruising! Cheers!

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1

We had 2 dozen crickets on our last balcony on Brilliance. We put up with it until one showed up in our bed.  It apparently snuck in when we were going in and out.  We got our steward involved after that. They did not relocate them and they met their end.  

45 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We had 2 dozen crickets on our last balcony on Brilliance. We put up with it until one showed up in our bed.  It apparently snuck in when we were going in and out.  We got our steward involved after that. They did not relocate them and they met their end.  

Great fish treats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

Forget which ship we were on but DH and I saw a small hawk fly onto the pool deck from one side, attempting to do a "fly-by" by exiting the other side. Unfortunately, the poor hawk hit a closed window on the other side and was knocked unconscious. I picked up a cloth napkin and placed it over the hawk, picking it up to see if it was alive or dead. He was unconscious but breathing. A young woman came over to me, explaining that she was a wild animal rehabber and asked to check it out for physical damage. I handed her the little hawk and she proceeded to check out it's wings for any damage. No damage found. She then promised to take it up to the higher open deck and sit with the hawk until (hopefully) it regained consciousness. Lo and behold, the little hawk woke up and flew off of the ship. The little hawk circled the ship (as if to say thank you) and flew away. It was a really wonderful thing to see! I would do the exact same thing again in a heart beat!

Another time, while on a cruise, a queen bee decided to leave the island and brought her worker bees with her to the pool deck, where she decided to nest under one of the deck umbrellas. It was amazing to see how quickly so many bees nested under that umbrella! We notified ship staff, who quickly roped off the area, donned those white (Covid) suits, and brought Henry (the ship vacuum) with them. They proceeded to "suck up" all (or most) of the bees. We asked them what would happen to the bees and we were told that they would be taken back to the island and released. I hope that happened. Luckily, no one got stung!

Happy cruising! Cheers!

I came home from work one Friday to find our house filled with bees.  We ended up at a hotel that night calling to find a beekeeper.  He came out on Saturday and got them out by smoking the house.  For weeks I found dead bees, including some in the ceiling lights.  We had to have some drywall replaced where they had been building a hive.  Not an experience I want to repeat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ATG said:

I came home from work one Friday to find our house filled with bees.  We ended up at a hotel that night calling to find a beekeeper.  He came out on Saturday and got them out by smoking the house.  For weeks I found dead bees, including some in the ceiling lights.  We had to have some drywall replaced where they had been building a hive.  Not an experience I want to repeat.

OMG, how terrible! However, it's a shame that the beekeeper couldn't relocate them. When we bought our Florida home a few years ago, my husband was remodeling our kitchen and, when he took out the exhaust fan above the in-cabinet stovetop, a beehive fell out onto the stovetop! Luckily, for us, there were only a few dried up/dead bees. Whew!

5 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

OMG, how terrible! However, it's a shame that the beekeeper couldn't relocate them. When we bought our Florida home a few years ago, my husband was remodeling our kitchen and, when he took out the exhaust fan above the in-cabinet stovetop, a beehive fell out onto the stovetop! Luckily, for us, there were only a few dried up/dead bees. Whew!

They moved about 90% of them (including the queen) but some didn’t make it.

it was scary. I had picked up my 2 small children (about 1 & 3) and was juggling them when I opened the door to a strange buzzing noise.  Slammed the door shut and went to the neighbors.  Luckily, he wasn’t afraid of bees and went in and got diapers and a few other things for me.  Dave was on a business trip and flying in that night.  In the days before cell phones, I called Delta and had them relay a message.  I also left a note on the door.  I’m not sure he really believed me until he went to the house and opened the door.  I’ve never been stung by a bee but several relatives are allergic, so I was freaked out!

I actually get a kick out of all the hitchhiker birds that hang out in the lush gardens of Central park on the Oasis class ships.  Apparently they fly in on one port and out the other?  Stowaways for sure.  

Then again...a lot of "bird song" is piped in also.  😉 

• Like 2