Drinks package/policy changes?

Wow.

'tis a real eye-opener to realise how important specific brands/types of alcohol can be.

A thread started 4.5 days ago, over 300 posts already.

This is even better than the Saga page thread with people finding it a deal breaker that there was no coffee barista on board.

Now - why do I think of that advert with somebody packing tins of bhis favourite baked beans...?

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Wow.

'tis a real eye-opener to realise how important specific brands/types of alcohol can be.

A thread started 4.5 days ago, over 300 posts already.

This is even better than the Saga page thread with people finding it a deal breaker that there was no coffee barista on board.

Now - why do I think of that advert with somebody packing tins of bhis favourite baked beans...?

Your saying you missed the great fevertree debate 

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, S1971 said:

But would P&O then stop you purchasing on your cruise card, I suspect not.

This is what makes the change pointless, they are not going to stop rowdy behaviour by banning to odd in cabin bottle, they need to deal with those who create the behaviour by removing them at one next port.

Most certainly this can be done. I can’t recall it having to be done though. No one wants to be stranded in the Middle East. Don’t think the Med fly cruises had any problems.

Edited by carlanthony24

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Reduced baseline prices are all well and good, but given the cutbacks are they cheap in real terms, only if you want the very basics maybe.

You may be right but in my opinion it is a Carnival decision to have a cheap option to tempt newcomers to the cruise market.  Those of us who have been cruising for many years have seen a lot of cutbacks and are reaching a point where P&O are too far behind other lines for us to continue to sail with them.

On our last night in the MDR on Iona last week, the 3 newbies stated that they had really enjoyed the cruise and would look to book another so that they had something to look forward to. They’re 3 young men in their 20s, moderate drinkers and felt that the prices onboard were very reasonable, and that they could never justify buying a drinks package. They felt that the cruise provided excellent value for money.

I suddenly noticed that there weren’t any flowers on the tables in the MDR. We then started to list the things that had changed since we started cruising in 2010. The list was:

* no flowers in MDR

* no stem of flower in cabin

* no dish of small boiled sweets in cabin

* no chocolates on pillow

* no turndown

* pay for breakfast in cabin and no hot drinks

* no fresh towels in the evening

* grats included in base price

Do we miss any of these? No, apart from fresh towels in the evening. 

We do however think that P&O provides excellent value for money. Excursions are far better priced than Princess, for instance. There are fewer options in the MDR but we’re not foodies, and I was very pleased with the offering on Iona. I don’t drink alcohol so they can do anything they want and it wouldn’t affect me. I’m pleased that there are fewer formals too, but understand that this is also important for some people. The photographers don’t bother us now in the MDR which is another plus. 

This year, we will have been on Cunard, P&O and Princess. As long as I can find a cruise from Soton which is reasonably priced, then I’m happy. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Most certainly this can be done. I can’t recall it having to be done though. No one wants to be stranded in the Middle East. Don’t think the Med fly cruises had any problems.

In there lays the problem, after reading @Megabear2 experiences and P&O's lack of action it doesn't fill you with any confidence.

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

On our last night in the MDR on Iona last week, the 3 newbies stated that they had really enjoyed the cruise and would look to book another so that they had something to look forward to. They’re 3 young men in their 20s, moderate drinkers and felt that the prices onboard were very reasonable, and that they could never justify buying a drinks package. They felt that the cruise provided excellent value for money.

I suddenly noticed that there weren’t any flowers on the tables in the MDR. We then started to list the things that had changed since we started cruising in 2010. The list was:

* no flowers in MDR

* no stem of flower in cabin

* no dish of small boiled sweets in cabin

* no chocolates on pillow

* no turndown

* pay for breakfast in cabin and no hot drinks

* no fresh towels in the evening

* grats included in base price

Do we miss any of these? No, apart from fresh towels in the evening. 

We do however think that P&O provides excellent value for money. Excursions are far better priced than Princess, for instance. There are fewer options in the MDR but we’re not foodies, and I was very pleased with the offering on Iona. I don’t drink alcohol so they can do anything they want and it wouldn’t affect me. I’m pleased that there are fewer formals too, but understand that this is also important for some people. The photographers don’t bother us now in the MDR which is another plus. 

This year, we will have been on Cunard, P&O and Princess. As long as I can find a cruise from Soton which is reasonably priced, then I’m happy. 

In order to settle a very minor argument between my good lady wife and me, we brainstormed all the ‘cutbacks’ that we noticed and got to about 30. I did a thread on it at the time. In reality we don’t miss 75% of them and for many we found work arounds. MDR food isn’t as good as it was (choice etc) but, other than on Aurora, was still OK and the prices reflect it. So will we still cruise with P&O? Yes. But we have lowered the maximum price per night that we are prepared to pay. We have 2 Cunard cruises next and will be very interested to compare. My expectations will be much higher given the price we are paying. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Page 4 post 93

I agree,,there are lots of whisky to suit most people,,.personally I don’t like peaty Scotch whiskey so quite happy with Irish whiskey.

Im still waiting for those who are railing about taking away the bottle of spirits to say why they don’t just order a bottle from room service,,,they are cheap enough.

Take your pick of whisky or whiskey.

You can even buy whiskey flights to find one you want.the only thing that disappoints me with P&O spirits is the mean 25ml measure,,,I sail Celebrity as well as P&O,,,on Celebrity it’s US measures and a bit more.

IMG_2744.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

In order to settle a very minor argument between my good lady wife and me, we brainstormed all the ‘cutbacks’ that we noticed and got to about 30. I did a thread on it at the time. In reality we don’t miss 75% of them and for many we found work arounds. MDR food isn’t as good as it was (choice etc) but, other than on Aurora, was still OK and the prices reflect it. So will we still cruise with P&O? Yes. But we have lowered the maximum price per night that we are prepared to pay. We have 2 Cunard cruises next and will be very interested to compare. My expectations will be much higher given the price we are paying. 

To be honest, the MDR on Iona recently was just as good as the MDR on Queen Victoria back in January and so much better than Britannia last year. There was something really off with that cruise! 

Queen Vic was great fun for a short 4 night cruise but I much prefer Iona for a longer cruise. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I agree,,there are lots of whisky to suit most people,,.personally I don’t like peaty Scotch whiskey so quite happy with Irish whiskey.

Im still waiting for those who are railing about taking away the bottle of spirits to say why they don’t just order a bottle from room service,,,they are cheap enough.

You can even buy whiskey flights to find one you want.the only thing that disappoints me with P&O spirits is the mean 25ml measure,,,I sail Celebrity as well as P&O,,,on Celebrity it’s US measures and a bit more.

IMG_2744.jpeg

The above is out of date .In the last year between AZURA Britannia and Ventura we have Spent 80 nights onboard and only 1 malt whisky available .Please note there is no E in whisky from Scotland .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

IMG_2744.jpeg

I have to say, as a keen whisky (and whiskey) drinker, that is a very poor selection. It's very main stream and 'safe'. 

Our local real ale pub has a better, and more varied selection! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, daz1107 said:

I have to say, as a keen whisky (and whiskey) drinker, that is a very poor selection. It's very main stream and 'safe'. 

Our local real ale pub has a better, and more varied selection! 

Cruise lines like mainstream pubs judge what to stock by customer demand. So one can only assume that demand for malt whisky is very limited, and cruise lines prefer to ensure they use their limited storage to hold stocks of drinks in higher demand.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

IMG_2744.jpeg

As stated in the original post this is from 2019 and is now much reduced

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Cruise lines like mainstream pubs judge what to stock by customer demand. So one can only assume that demand for malt whisky is very limited, and cruise lines prefer to ensure they use their limited storage to hold stocks of drinks in higher demand.

I totally agree with you, I was merely pointing out that, to someone who enjoys a variety of whisky/whiskey, the choice isn't good. I wasn't criticising what they stock, but I am surprised they have 3 x Highland and 3 x Speyside. Each one is the same style! 

3 minutes ago, daz1107 said:

I totally agree with you, I was merely pointing out that, to someone who enjoys a variety of whisky/whiskey, the choice isn't good. I wasn't criticising what they stock, but I am surprised they have 3 x Highland and 3 x Speyside. Each one is the same style! 

They don’t, the list is from 2019. Much reduced now. 

6 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Do you happen to which cruise or cruises that is?

I haven't looked at every single cruise but a random selection of half. dozen Aurora and half a dozen Arcadia cruises all come in at £189 or less so perhaps thats a rare anomaly?

I suppose it's difficult to know what to do with pricing and policy as they must feel like the same rules have to apply to all ships whilst at the same time being quite different products.

I was quoting solo prices.

6 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Ah, well in that case 'its a scandal that this is the policy when cabins are £999.60pppn' (the cost of a solo suite on the first Aurora cruise that I clicked on).

I dunno, I suppose the whole concept is difficult for me to empathise with because it would never occur to me to take bottles of spirits onboard or to a hotel or take popcorn from home to the cinema etc.

Please tell me which site offers an Aurora suite for single occupancy at less than £1000!  And which cruise. Will snap it up! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

To be honest, the MDR on Iona recently was just as good as the MDR on Queen Victoria back in January and so much better than Britannia last year. There was something really off with that cruise! 

Queen Vic was great fun for a short 4 night cruise but I much prefer Iona for a longer cruise. 

We found the MDR food to be generally fine on Iona, Britannia and Ventura last year, but Aurora this year was below par. Seems to vary not just by ship, but by cruise as well!

• Like 3

Wonder what the legal implications are.

lm travelling at the weekend and have not been informed, by P&O, of any changes to the policy.

10 minutes ago, posford said:

Wonder what the legal implications are.

lm travelling at the weekend and have not been informed, by P&O, of any changes to the policy.

I'm pretty sure you'll find it is their ship and, therefore, their rules.

• Like 1