P and O Iona now.

Reporting from Iona today Bank Holiday Monday in Stavanger. 
Ship looking great, food good, plenty of choice, always hot and passengers seem to be having a great time. Sailing north on the North Sea yesterday (Sunday) lovely and sunny, passengers sitting in the sun, exercising and generally having a great time. Last night was formal night and most people smartened up, what ever the age young and old, people know how to smarten up. 
Now for the downside I observed 4 people not washing hands entering restaurants, or exiting toilets. One man in the restaurant helped himself with his hand in the cheese crackers! No outbreaks yet, just hope our immune systems are working well.

Olden tomorrow. 
We have enjoyed our first few days on board, we have booked another cruise onboard, just where we want to go. 

• Like 13

Have a great time Andy, thanks for reporting in. 

Unfortunately, some people do not understand the risks of not washing hands until too late. 

We love Olden, I am sure you will too. 

Andy 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

Ship looking great, food good, plenty of choice, always hot and passengers seem to be having a great time. Sailing north on the North Sea yesterday (Sunday) lovely and sunny, passengers sitting in the sun, exercising and generally having a great time. Last night was formal night and most people smartened up, what ever the age young and old, people know how to smarten up. 
Now for the downside I observed 4 people not washing hands entering restaurants, or exiting toilets. One man in the restaurant helped himself with his hand in the cheese crackers! No outbreaks yet, just hope our immune systems are working well.

Olden tomorrow. 
We have enjoyed our first few days on board, we have booked another cruise onboard, just where we want to go. 

Thank you for checking in.

We were in Olden last June on Britannia and had a lovely time.

I agree with you about Iona being lovely as we were on her November, January and March.

We avoid the buffet as I have seen people pick things up with their fingers while eating something then putting things back down again 🙄

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

Olden tomorrow. 

Thank you for posting. I have friends on this cruise, plus I’m off on her in a few weeks time, so will be interested to hear about your adventures.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

Olden tomorrow. 

Only 4. When we were on Iona in March I sometimes thought we were the only ones using the washing facilities. Never saw anyone use the washing station in The Quays at all. I don’t get it. Sometimes people say they can’t use hand sanitizer as they are allergic to it. Surely they can’t also be allergic to soap and water. Glad you are enjoying Iona, we have been on twice and have 2 more booked. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Only 4. When we were on Iona in March I sometimes thought we were the only ones using the washing facilities. Never saw anyone use the washing station in The Quays at all. I don’t get it. Sometimes people say they can’t use hand sanitizer as they are allergic to it. Surely they can’t also be allergic to soap and water. Glad you are enjoying Iona, we have been on twice and have 2 more booked. 

We had, for the first time, a mid cruise survey. How we doing ? Are you enjoying,or not enjoying things ?. What can we do better?. I told them we were enjoying our cruise and things were working well. I also suggested they have staff at the many washy, washy stations ' as some if your customers are slobs '.

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, sandancer said:

In the buffet it really matters that others passengers wash their hands. Hence I avoid it like plague. 

In waiter served venues it far more important that staff wash their hands. I trust training of staff. 

Apart from that the covid lesson of keep hands away from face and wash before eating serves me well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We had, for the first time, a mid cruise survey. How we doing ? Are you enjoying,or not enjoying things ?. What can we do better?. I told them we were enjoying our cruise and things were working well. I also suggested they have staff at the many washy, washy stations ' as some if your customers are slobs '.

I doubt that calling their customers such names is likely to lead to them increasing the policing of the wash basins.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt that calling their customers such names is likely to lead to them increasing the policing of the wash basins.

Perhaps they thought all their customers followed the hygiene protocols perfectly. I'm sure they will thank me for bringing it to their attention.

• Like 2

Further update. 
Last night went for dinner at the Keel and Cow - clean plates well except the occasional steak bones. I had the trout starter, followed by fillet steak with peppercorn sauce. My wife had no starter but had the ploughman’s. Desert was the sharing platter of ice cream, cheese cake and pecan pie. Superb meal, must book again. 
Just a problem I noted in the cabin no 2 pin round charging point. Searched everywhere and no. My Braun toothbrush was running out of power yesterday am.I had packed chargers or charging cables for all my gear or so I thought. I did not pack a square 3 pin to 2 pin round plug. In Stavanger found a Clas Ohlson selling Philips Sonic toothbrush which charges via a USB to 3 pin square plug. 
Note to all make sure you have all the correct plugs and charging cables. The new toothbrush is really good. 
Arrived and now docked in Olden, walking to Briksdal glacier so if you see a guy with a Nikon camera, zoom lens and a Gitzo tripod say hello. 
Derek - my real name. 
Weather 12c, no wind and snow on tops, cloudy. Looks like rain?

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Photo Andy said:

Further update. 
Last night went for dinner at the Keel and Cow - clean plates well except the occasional steak bones. I had the trout starter, followed by fillet steak with peppercorn sauce. My wife had no starter but had the ploughman’s. Desert was the sharing platter of ice cream, cheese cake and pecan pie. Superb meal, must book again. 
Just a problem I noted in the cabin no 2 pin round charging point. Searched everywhere and no. My Braun toothbrush was running out of power yesterday am.I had packed chargers or charging cables for all my gear or so I thought. I did not pack a square 3 pin to 2 pin round plug. In Stavanger found a Clas Ohlson selling Philips Sonic toothbrush which charges via a USB to 3 pin square plug. 
Note to all make sure you have all the correct plugs and charging cables. The new toothbrush is really good. 
Arrived and now docked in Olden, walking to Briksdal glacier so if you see a guy with a Nikon camera, zoom lens and a Gitzo tripod say hello. 
Derek - my real name. 
Weather 12c, no wind and snow on tops, cloudy. Looks like rain?

That's a fair old walk to the glacier Derek, then the trek up... 

Rather you than me😊

Have a great day, 

Andy 

• Like 2

Hope the weather is ok for you. My daughter sent me a photo from the webcam at Loen viewpoint earlier today and you couldn’t see a thing. They said it was amazing last Tuesday as the photos show:

IMG_2778.thumb.jpeg.8f0327d5b8d6b58af0fb75f9dc9ea5c6.jpeg

IMG_2761.thumb.jpeg.cbc3d5a15512e3cf48350ffbd38e6dbf.jpeg

IMG_2738.thumb.jpeg.34dc24edcc27f52c18c7d03bb487b8fb.jpeg

IMG_4836.thumb.jpeg.2e567136a266e462d43de3d9a6c50dc7.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg

• Like 5

Reply to Andy, yes it was a bit of a hike 55mins but 4-5 photo stops, lot quicker coming back down. I have been walking and mountain biking throughout the winter and spring as I am doing two major charity bike rides in the summer. 
Reply to Ardennais, it was drizzle at Briksdal and we just walked through it. Sorry to hear about the Loen Sky lift weather, we booked the cruise late and Loen was fully booked. It is on our bucket list, hopefully next time we come to Norway. Hope your daughter is enjoying the cruise?

Derek. IMG_1032.thumb.jpeg.bba660cad9e0858dd2a78c43e39cb5eb.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Photo Andy said:

Reply to Andy, yes it was a bit of a hike 55mins but 4-5 photo stops, lot quicker coming back down. I have been walking and mountain biking throughout the winter and spring as I am doing two major charity bike rides in the summer. 
Reply to Ardennais, it was drizzle at Briksdal and we just walked through it. Sorry to hear about the Loen Sky lift weather, we booked the cruise late and Loen was fully booked. It is on our bucket list, hopefully next time we come to Norway. Hope your daughter is enjoying the cruise?

Derek. IMG_1032.thumb.jpeg.bba660cad9e0858dd2a78c43e39cb5eb.jpeg

We were all there last Tuesday luckily! Home this week! 

Wow! That glacier has really receded since my daughter and I walked to it about 16 years ago; we had a photo taken standing on it!

We're going in August, can't wait but I'm worried we might end up on deck 8.We booked an early saver with upgrades.

Bit inexperienced in cruising but our first P&O cruise last year was amazing so hopefully this isn't ruined with a rubbish cabin location.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paulant said:

We're going in August, can't wait but I'm worried we might end up on deck 8.We booked an early saver with upgrades.

Bit inexperienced in cruising but our first P&O cruise last year was amazing so hopefully this isn't ruined with a rubbish cabin location.

It is a chance you take, but we have had a few saver fares on other ships and mostly been good. 

You may be lucky, but I'm sure you will make the most of it. 

You are still at sea, being fed and entertained, I just hope you can get a good night's sleep. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Iona unable to visit Haugesund today? 

Someone posted on another website that it was too windy to dock and then it turned foggy whilst at sea.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paulant said:

Deck 8 is not as bad as people make out.  Its usually regarded as a rubbish deck by people who have never stayed in one.  I did the usual and watched all these so called Vloggers (muppets) who were slating deck 8 and when I was allocated a deck 8 on a saver fare I was dreading the trip.  I nearly cancelled but Im so glad I didnt as we had a cracking time and the deck 8 cabin was superb.  Easy location for many facilities that cut the requirement to use the lifts down to a minimum.  In fact many many people who have stayed in a deck 8 cabin have said the same and enjoyed it more than they thought.

Its the Vloggers (muppets) that are putting rubbish reviews on their Youtube channels with lurid headlines just to garner more views.

If I opted to go saver fare again I would be very happy to be allocated a deck 8 cabin again.

Edited by Harryjacobs
  • Like 6

Haha thanks for the update and love your terminology!

I think my wife is more concerned if we did get deck 8 you haven't got the luxury of your cup of tea in your pants overlooking the sea and fjords, but I get what you mean!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

It is a chance you take, but we have had a few saver fares on other ships and mostly been good. 

You may be lucky, but I'm sure you will make the most of it. 

You are still at sea, being fed and entertained, I just hope you can get a good night's sleep. 

Andy 

Indeed, I'm sure it will be spectacular either way!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Someone posted on another website that it was too windy to dock and then it turned foggy whilst at sea.

Such a shame. There was a mini heatwave there last Thursday!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Such a shame. There was a mini heatwave there last Thursday!

And Wednesday when we were there. 

It made all the difference in Haugesund as last year the weather was miserable and didn't really take to the place but saw it in a completely different light in the sunshine. 

Andy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

And Wednesday when we were there. 

It made all the difference in Haugesund as last year the weather was miserable and didn't really take to the place but saw it in a completely different light in the sunshine. 

Andy 

I have not been thrilled by Haugesund on my two visits. This last time we faced an hour or so walk into the city(we are both 76). There was a shuttle bus and though it said it was the official P&O shuttle it was £5.50 each. Because of the distance there should have been a free shuttle as P&O sometimes provide. On our next visit we will not bother leaving the ship.

• Like 1