Three cabins for two couples to equal a suite?

ecs66

We cruise with my sis and BIL, mostly on Princess.  We've had adjoining basic balcony cabins and have opened the door between balconies for socializing.  On a couple ships, the entire partition opened up giving one large balcony (nice!), but mostly it was just a small Hobbit door to scrunch through to get to the other side.

We are thinking about reserving two adjacent (or very close) inexpensive interior cabins for sleeping, dressing, etc., and then reserving a balcony cabin across the hall for socializing, hanging out, balcony sitting.  Also, both couples have an early riser and a sleep-in person.  The early risers could use the balcony cabin for coffee, TV, etc., without disturbing the other in the cabin.

Is this a crazy idea?  If so, why?

Would the cruise line accommodate this?

Any ideas on how the cost breakdown might shake out?  (I don't want to embarrass myself with crazy talk with our TA - LOL!)

Well, it would be pricey.  You'd have to do 2 cabins with one person and they would be charged double.  Other than that, there is no reason why you couldn't do it.  

• Like 1

The balcony cabin would have to be assigned to one passenger.  One inside cabin to one passenger.  BOTH would pay double for solo occupancy.  The other inside would be assigned to two people and would pay standard double occupancy rate.  So, double the price for the balcony, double the price for the inside and double occupancy for the other inside.  You are virtually paying for six passengers.  This would be expensive, but if’s that’s not an issue, go for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

The balcony cabin would have to be assigned to one passenger.  One inside cabin to one passenger.  BOTH would pay double for solo occupancy.  The other inside would be assigned to two people and would pay standard double occupancy rate.  So, double the price for the balcony, double the price for the inside and double occupancy for the other inside.  You are virtually paying for six passengers.  This would be expensive, but if’s that’s not an issue, go for it.

Thanks for that breakdown.  That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

Why not get a full suite?  You'd get all the benefits and only pay a partial cost for the 3rd and 4th passengers.

I would think it would be a little uncomfortable for 2 adult couples not to mention a lack of closet space and bathroom time

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Depending on suite, 2 separate rooms.  Two bathrooms (one has shower and tub.  If they get along OK it would be well worth the inconvenience.  Each person would get 2 cruise credits.  Concierge service.  Embarkation meal.  Mini bar setup.  Reserve class dining.  Priority embarkation and disembarkation.  I would do this in a flash if traveling with family.  Also, a great deal for 4 friends to sail together.  If they needed a place to shower, they could always go to the spa area or exercise area on most ships.  

Edited by candy4040
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

Depending on suite, 2 separate rooms.  Two bathrooms (one has shower and tub.  If they get along OK it would be well worth the inconvenience.  Each person would get 2 cruise credits.  Concierge service.  Embarkation meal.  Mini bar setup.  Reserve class dining.  Priority embarkation and disembarkation.  I would do this in a flash if traveling with family.  Also, a great deal for 4 friends to sail together.  If they needed a place to shower, they could always go to the spa area or exercise area on most ships.  

Please note many suites cannot be booked for 4 people. As far as I know only the premium suites which are usually extremely forward and family suites will handle 4. Also  this assumes that there will be no intimacy. This might work for a family but I don’t see it working for 2 couples

• Like 1

As stated it would be expensive, and in my opinion not workable. 4 passengers in 3 cabins would mean solos in two of the 3 cabins. Solos pay basically double fare. What ship, and what cabins? Most balconies on Royal Class ships are 9ftW x 4ftD and can just barely fit two people with no room for eating. Grand class ships have 9ftW x 5ftD for most cabins. Port & starboard balconies on deck 9 are 9ft x 9ft half covered. There are some exceptions for aft cabins, bump out cabins and so on. You would have to examine the deck plans for the ship you plan to book. If you check the connecting room box on the Princess.com deck plans you can find cabins that have connecting interior doors in case you want that. 

This type of question is why you use a TA.  Discuss with them. It's their job to advise you about the best solution to achieve what you want. 

Posted (edited)

Take a look at this current resurrected thread about family suites on Grand class ships:

Edited by capriccio

Why not get 2 mini-suites next to each other?

Big enough in the couch area for 4 of you to sit and socialize in either cabin.

On Royal class ships there is a curtain between the bed and sofa area for the early risers.

As long as you stay away from the fire doors, the balconies can have the partition between them opened up.

24 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Why not get 2 mini-suites next to each other?

Big enough in the couch area for 4 of you to sit and socialize in either cabin.

On Royal class ships there is a curtain between the bed and sofa area for the early risers.

As long as you stay away from the fire doors, the balconies can have the partition between them opened up.

With a Family Suite, it IS a FULL suite with all amenities for all and probably cheaper than 2 Reserve Collection Minis (not sure about regular minis) .  I believe you only have to pay full price for 2 in one cabin and 2 in the other cabin.  If there are other passengers booked under the 3 or 4 sail free, this would apply.  Cabin can sleep 7 to 8 passengers.  

My only objection is that it is on the bow/front of the ship.  I believe only Grand/GEM Class ships have these cabins.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

With a Family Suite, it IS a FULL suite with all amenities for all and probably cheaper than 2 Reserve Collection Minis (not sure about regular minis) .  I believe you only have to pay full price for 2 in one cabin and 2 in the other cabin.  If there are other passengers booked under the 3 or 4 sail free, this would apply.  Cabin can sleep 7 to 8 passengers.  

My only objection is that it is on the bow/front of the ship.  I believe only Grand/GEM Class ships have these cabins.

We stay as far from the bow as possible after having had a cabin where the anchor chain woke us up in the morning 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, candy4040 said:

Why not get a full suite?  You'd get all the benefits and only pay a partial cost for the 3rd and 4th passengers.

We're four (spoiled) adults, and would need two private bedrooms, and two baths.  Judging by the (Princess) cabin plans I've seen online, a suite has only one bathroom, and the sleeping arrangements would be non private.  A Family Suite would work, but there are none on Enchanted where we'll be in December for 14 days.

18 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Best suggestion: check on the price for a Family Suite. Most (if not all) have one.

Enchanted has no Family Suites.  And from reviews we've read, on ships where there are Family Suites they're unusable while at sea due to wind issues.  (They're all facing front.)

21 hours ago, memoak said:

Please note many suites cannot be booked for 4 people. As far as I know only the premium suites which are usually extremely forward and family suites will handle 4. Also  this assumes that there will be no intimacy. This might work for a family but I don’t see it working for 2 couples

Actually, you can book 4.  We're booked on Regal for this coming January with 4 people.  There is a cot made available.  Plenty of closet space and huge drawers on one wall.  The cost of the 3rd and 4th passengers is more than one half less than first two (more like 2/3 less).  This is OP sister and husband and perhaps they wouldn't mind having the two separate areas available.  Just a suggestion.  Our suite is an S3 D122 and D121 is also same setup.  There is a U tube video of this space that OP may want to review.  Way cheaper than 2 reserve class minis.  

6 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

Actually, you can book 4.  We're booked on Regal for this coming January with 4 people.  There is a cot made available.  Plenty of closet space and huge drawers on one wall.  The cost of the 3rd and 4th passengers is more than one half less than first two (more like 2/3 less).  This is OP sister and husband and perhaps they wouldn't mind having the two separate areas available.  Just a suggestion.  Our suite is an S3 D122 and D121 is also same setup.  There is a U tube video of this space that OP may want to review.  Way cheaper than 2 reserve class minis.  

Can’t really see booking a suite and sleeping on a cot. Sorry

21 hours ago, candy4040 said:

"Depending on suite, 2 separate rooms."

Considering our sleep patterns, we'd want three separate rooms -- two for sleeping, and one for a gathering place.

Cruise credits:  Would be Good.  Concierge service:  Would have to check on that as I don't know much about it.  Thanks for that info!  Embarkation meal:  We're happy going to the Main Dining Room after we board.  Mini bar:  Baptists ... wouldn't be a thing unless it includes soft drinks, which it probably would.  Priority embarkation and disembarkation:  We walk on and off with our carry-ons and have never had a problem with waiting in the past.  Reserve class dining:  Would have to check on that as I don't know much about it.  Sounds interesting.  Thanks for the tip!

We're Platinum, closing in on Elite.  As you can tell, we are pretty low-key cruisers.  Having cruised Sitmar in the '70s and '80s, any ship with a balcony and electric outlets in the cabins is living large - LOL!

1 hour ago, candy4040 said:

"There is a cot made available."    Our suite is an S3 D122 and D121 is also same setup.  There is a U tube video of this space that OP may want to review.  Way cheaper than 2 reserve class minis.  

A cot would not be an option.  Ever.  But I will look at the video you reference.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, ecs66 said:

Mini bar:  Baptists ... wouldn't be a thing unless it includes soft drinks, which it probably would. 

It starts with a standard setup but you can swap out for anything non-alcoholic you want.

I've stayed in a family suite.  They are essentially a mini suite and  quad inside room connected to a large sitting room with pull out sofas and a very large balcony (the suites are located at the front of the ship which makes these lovely balconies almost unusable while the ship is moving, but quite nice while docked).  You do get two bathrooms, but the mini suite bedroom is separated from the sitting area by a curtain, so privacy might be an issue (the inside cabin has a door into the sitting area).  You do get full suite perks, double booking credits, 3 tvs and 2 bathrooms.  The sitting area is the length of the two rooms so it is quite large as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1