Teppanyaki??

This will be my 27th carnival cruise and have never eaten at teppanyaki. I don't care for any kind of seafood which is what I thought this is. Am I wrong? Everyone really seems to be enjoying it! What is it you like about it???? Maybe I'll book it!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My wife doesn’t eat seafood and loves Teppanyaki. There are a couple of shrimp as part of the appetizer but she just gives that to me. Then she gets either the steak or chicken or both in a combo as the entree. Easily the best pay restaurant on Carnival ships for me. 

We really like the hibachi style in addition to the food. Just a great atmosphere. 

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, laurierocs said:

This will be my 27th carnival cruise and have never eaten at teppanyaki. I don't care for any kind of seafood which is what I thought this is. Am I wrong? Everyone really seems to be enjoying it! What is it you like about it???? Maybe I'll book it!

We weren't thrilled with Teppanyaki on Carnival Jubilee last week.  It was okay, but way down the list of our favorite dinner experiences that week.  I think an experience like Teppanyaki is more dependent on your fellow diners and your cook than other venues (Chef's Table might be the exception to that, though).  There are 10 seats at each grill and on our night 6 of those were one family (all adults).  They didn't seem to enjoy it at all and were sort of sticks in the mud.  The other couple we were seated next to was fun and helped improve the atmosphere.

The food was okay.  The lobster/steak/shrimp were all cooked well, but I thought the flavors were kind of monochromatic.  They may be willing to substitute something for the shrimp appetizer if you ask.  I bet they get patrons who are allergic to shellfish.  The host asked about allergies when we were seated.

I was a little surprised how quick the dinner seemed.  Not really rushed, but it was over quicker than I expected.

I hope that helps some.
Tim

• Like 1

I am not a fan of teppanyaki style restaurants.  I don't care to share the table with strangers.  I don't enjoy the cook's antics, throwing shrimp extremes into his hat, etc.  My mom taught me too well "don't play with your food."  However, ...

My last Teppanyaki on Carnival was on the Venezia.  We were seated with 8 other passengers, four couples traveling as a group.  The four women were all from the same college sorority many years ago.  They were delightful.  We had been given a bottle of wine and we shared it at this dinner.  

I do find the food palatable.  I don't eat any seafood, but they have steak and chicken.  

I suggest you try it, and enjoy it!

• Like 1

I always wanted to go but husband wasn't into it. Finally, he aggreed. He was so surprised how much fun & all the food was so great. The rice is outstanding. There are choices of steak, chicken or sea food. The couple that sat next us was from the U.K. on a b2b & it was fun to chat with them. The dinner was a high spot on this cruise.

4 hours ago, PlanoTim said:

We weren't thrilled with Teppanyaki on Carnival Jubilee last week.  It was okay, but way down the list of our favorite dinner experiences that week.  I think an experience like Teppanyaki is more dependent on your fellow diners and your cook than other venues (Chef's Table might be the exception to that, though).  There are 10 seats at each grill and on our night 6 of those were one family (all adults).  They didn't seem to enjoy it at all and were sort of sticks in the mud.  The other couple we were seated next to was fun and helped improve the atmosphere.

The food was okay.  The lobster/steak/shrimp were all cooked well, but I thought the flavors were kind of monochromatic.  They may be willing to substitute something for the shrimp appetizer if you ask.  I bet they get patrons who are allergic to shellfish.  The host asked about allergies when we were seated.

I was a little surprised how quick the dinner seemed.  Not really rushed, but it was over quicker than I expected.

I hope that helps some.
Tim

We have eaten at Teppanyaki on the Panorama and Jubilee.  Loved both meals and plan to eat at in on the Firenze.

Speaking to the shellfish allergy, they are more liberal with other foods and make sure to not cross contaminate.  I am a sever allergy to shellfish and had not issues.  The ventilation is stellar as well and the staff makes sure you are taken care of.

Here is our review from the Jubilee in January:

• Like 2

I'm allergic to shellfish and don't eat any seafood at all. I don't like hibachi restaurants on land because I've had an issue every time I tried one. We've eaten at Teppanyaki on Mardi Gras twice and I absolutely loved it. I get the chicken/steak combo and found the food to be great.

• Like 1

They have a shrimp or salmon option, but it is just like a Japanese Steakhouse on land. The steak is outstanding. The rice and veggie portions are large too. Bring your appetite.

• Like 1

We love teppanyaki. We eat it at home almost weekly and really enjoy it on the ship. My wife doesn't like seafood but loves it also. She normally gets the chicken and steak.