ICON of the poop

Just now, SilkySal said:

Question again, did you complain (please)?

Never crossed my mind. YES. Multiple times every day. Email to Bailey's office. Etc etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DennysDad said:

Never crossed my mind. YES. Multiple times every day. Email to Bailey's office. Etc etc.

Thanks for doing that and thanks for letting all of us know about it! Sadly to say, that's all you can do I guess. Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Thanks for doing that and thanks for letting all of us know about it! Sadly to say, that's all you can do I guess. Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Thank you!!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Question again, did you complain (please)?

Just complained here, I am sure.  HA HA HA.  I jest.  But really, for as many of these complaining posts, there will be people defending the children using the pools for toilets and then those that defend the adults that never leave the hot tubs after drinking all day.  "It is my cruise too" or "my children deserve to  have fun too."  While that is true, most all of these problems can be eliminated by: Adults acting like they have sense and going leaving the bodies of water to use the restroom, parents not placing their children in situations where they have "accidents" (because let's be honest, it is not the fault of the children), and the staff trying their best to stay on top of it all.  

This is not Icon specific behavior by any means.  On our RCCL cruises we have watched life guards and other staff members make children get out of the pools when they are in diapers, not so much the hot tubs though.  I am not sure why anyone would allow their children in the hot tubs as I always thought they were unsafe for children but I could be wrong.  Last cruise, or the one before, A family pushed into the hot tub we were in, and I do mean pushed-they physically sat down where there was no space and I sat in my husband's lap!  They had three small children and one was in a diaper.  Dad (I assume) placed the baby on his knee while the others stood and bounced/jumped around and then floated in the center wearing floaty lifejacket things.  The other adults just got out and gave them the hot tub because it was uncomfortable for all of us.  Once before a young man got in wearing snorkel gear and was "swimming" around snorkeling in the hot tub while his mother sat in a chair watching from afar.  Nothing was said to these kids or their families.  But in the main pool, the life guards were on top of making diapered children get out. Who knows why one is different?  

Edited by MandyMooToo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, rolloman said:

It is quite baffling to me the amount of people who desire to go on a cruise ship and physically get in a pool or hot tub. After taking well over 100 voyages to date, I actually don't think I have ever jumped into a pool or hot tub. Clearly, it is disgusting on land and sea to get in these community cesspools. 

I also limit going in these pools or hot tubs.  Typically I used to get Urinary tract infections after a cruise- from hot tubs and pools.  We were on the Icon in March in a surfside family suite,  not for us- it is a disney ship on Steriods. With small suites and cabins.   We love Oasis class ships and will stick to them.

Edited by Cruise a holic

32 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

Everything has been mentioned to everyone and the entire ship is a running joke.

New Facebook post says a 2 year old and a 5 year old in their PJs were discovered in the elevator and are now with security. This wonderful parenting is the norm on the ship from hell. On land, half these folks would be answering to social services by now. 23 Disney cruises since 2006 and NEVER saw adults behave like this. Or a cruise line that says and does NOTHING. Enforce the rules. 

I may get flamed for this, but IMO Disney Cruises are a totally different class of guests.  Less focus on drinking which encourages this type of behavior. i nope you find a way to enjoy the rest of your cruise

• Like 5

We've been cruising Royal for 25 years and have had many memorable cruises and got to see much of the world. All on Royal ships.

But it seems that post Covid, when Fain left ☹️and the new guy came in, their focus changed. They seem to be trying to be more “Carnival Party Ships” now….bring your kids and let them run loose around the ship to cause trouble and buy the drink package and party. And we’ve seen this on multiple ships lately. Kids causing trouble, in groups.

I realize we’re older than their “Target Audience” now, and this is not the vacation we want, so were moving on from Royal. Yes, i still have some booked cruises - including Icon - which we booked just to check out the new design, but I may cancel that if this is the way it will be. 

• Like 5

This has happen on the Icon this spring for at least 2 other cruises I've heard about.  Add that to the fact that the so called "adult pool area" has been teeming with munchkins and nothing being done makes me wonder if the Icon staff is even paying attention.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bocker3 said:

Of course it should be the Lifeguard enforcing the rules!  They are the staff member who is present all the time.  What good is having an officer come by every so often to look - the damage would likely already be done.

1st line of defense:  The parent!  Who should know the rule and not break it.

2nd line of defense:  The Lifeguard (who IS a Staff Member with Authority)

The lifeguards should not be distracted by locating the parents who walk away and then talking to them. They also can't just blow their whistle at very young children and expect them to understand. The guards need to be hyper-focused on everyone in the water.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MandyMooToo said:

Adults acting like they have sense and going leaving the bodies of water to use the restroom, parents not placing their children in situations where they have "accidents" (because let's be honest, it is not the fault of the children), and the staff trying their best to stay on top of it all.  

This is not Icon specific behavior by any means.

You are spot on. A few years ago we lived in a condo and at one association meeting the board was telling a mother that she could not let her children play in the street unsupervised (or really, at all) because not only was it a safety issue but also a liability issue for the condo association. The mother responded by yelling at everyone in the room to essentially butt out of her parenting decisions.

Several times a year I go to watch the races at places like Saratoga and Del Mar and although I have no particular issue with children being there, wagering on horses is an adult activity. Yet parents let their kids run wild and bristle at any suggestion that they should reign in their children at the racetrack (it's not a playground, although many of them have designated play areas for children). So it seems like it is pretty much everywhere and often in places where it doesn't need to happen.

That being said we still encounter children and parents who are respectful and courteous so I won't paint everyone with a broad brush. Nevertheless, it feels to me like entitlement and disrespect for others has run rampant. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but I was never allowed to misbehave in public as a child so that's my perspective.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

Everything has been mentioned to everyone and the entire ship is a running joke.

New Facebook post says a 2 year old and a 5 year old in their PJs were discovered in the elevator and are now with security. This wonderful parenting is the norm on the ship from hell. On land, half these folks would be answering to social services by now. 23 Disney cruises since 2006 and NEVER saw adults behave like this. Or a cruise line that says and does NOTHING. Enforce the rules. 

I have to agree with the doing nothing. After 53 sailings mostly all with Royal I have seen much change over the years. Years ago if a child or adult walked through the ship in a bikini without a coverup they were asked to put something on....now nothing...I see women with G-stings in Windjammer. My daughter wouldn't be allowed to walk on the ship at a port stop without a coverup or t-shirt. Men couldn't walk on without a shirt....now it all goes...they wouldn't say a word to these people. With this new entitled society companies are afraid to say anything anymore.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pratique said:

The lifeguards should not be distracted by locating the parents who walk away and then talking to them. They also can't just blow their whistle at very young children and expect them to understand. The guards need to be hyper-focused on everyone in the water.

The lifeguards are ONLY "hyper focused" on looking for poop in the water. Every time I'm in a pool i spend it watching that a toddler in a life vest with no adult present doesn't get pushed under water. No kid is going down around me. Yes, it is 100% Not my job. But the parents of toddlers are no place to be found and lifeguards are clearly instructed to just look down for poop. I've seen it with my own eyes for days. Absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pratique said:

The lifeguards should be stopping any child in a diaper from entering the pool -- if the parents aren't around the child, he/she just needs to keep the child out.  They don't need to go find the parent.

I agree -- they should be hyper-focused on what is happening in and around the pool - that is why THEY should be the 2nd line of defense against diapered children getting in the pool (again, Parents are the 1st line and should ensure rules are followed).

3 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

The lifeguards are ONLY "hyper focused" on looking for poop in the water. Every time I'm in a pool i spend it watching that a toddler in a life vest with no adult present doesn't get pushed under water. No kid is going down around me. Yes, it is 100% Not my job. But the parents of toddlers are no place to be found and lifeguards are clearly instructed to just look down for poop. I've seen it with my own eyes for days. Absolutely ridiculous. 

It is ridiculous. Lifeguards always on duty are a relatively new thing after a child drowned a few years ago on a RCCL ship. Their mission is to preserve life not to keep the pool clean.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

The responsibility 100% belongs on the parent to follow the rules.  Isn't there a passenger conduct clause somewhere in the cruise contract?  Good grief, everything else is in there.

So, the lifeguard keeps little Sally or Timmy from entering the pool, a temper tantrum is sure to follow.  You can bet once the parents finally show up, fights will ensure.  Happens today with chair hogs who think they have been wronged.  Either way, a lifeguard now has to try to keep that child out of the pool instead of paying attention to the other guests.

Maybe they should make it a monetary penalty for repeat offenses.  If they are able to identify the child that caused the pool to shut down, then have a private conversation with the parents/guardians.  If it happens a second time, then charge some sort of fee for having to clean the pool.  They do that for smokers.

eta:  I'm only talking about pools where young children / diapers are not allowed.  Not the children's areas.

Edited by jk04
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bajathree said:

strictly catered to attract kids...no interest.

That doesn't apply to me, guess I'm a big kid at heart, I can't wait till our sailing!  I have a feeling we'll be at Cloud 17 most days, I figure that's the least likely place they'll go.  And they sleep late!  HAHA, I'm up at the crack of dawn and will have our loungers Tout de suite!

35 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Maybe they should make it a monetary penalty for repeat offenses

I have seen them kick folks off for those kinds of things!  They can handle it.  Did anybody follow what happened to the offenders OP...thought not, they may HAVE been penalized in some way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DennysDad said:

What is really required is to report to onboard staff (preferably the Hotel Director) that you intend to report this to the USPH/CDC as a violation of the VSP, and then do so.  That will get attention in a hurry.  A fecal incident caused by inattention by staff will be a high point deduction on an inspection score, and almost guarantee a failing score.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

"It is my cruise too"

Yeah only it has nothing to do with where it happens.  They wouldn't let them defecate in the hotel lobby or in the mall promenade would they? That really is beyond the pale!  Health hazards are not just bad behavior, but a public health issue.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

What is really required is to report to onboard staff (preferably the Hotel Director) that you intend to report this to the USPH/CDC as a violation of the VSP, and then do so.  That will get attention in a hurry.  A fecal incident caused by inattention by staff will be a high point deduction on an inspection score, and almost guarantee a failing score.

I would do this in a heartbeat, vut I have no clue what USPH or VSP means.

13 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Icon of the seas 

Day 5

Pools Closed EVERY SINGLE DAY of this trip. Usually 2 per day. Due to poop or vomit in a pool. Each time this happens it requires the pool to close for minimum of 4 hours for cleaning. Always involves the one large pool. This makes all of the small pools so crowded you physically cannot get in 

This is a result of parents who let their non potty trained toddlers in the pools. Many don't even get in with their children. They put life vests on children too young to walk and talk and dump them in a pool, then say I'll be right back after I get a drink. One child swallowed so much water 2 days in a row that she single handedly shut down the large pool 2 days running. Amazing she is even still alive. If she didn't vomit, she would be dead. But the parents allowed this to happen the next day all over again. Lifeguards say and do nothing. 

No parents want to spend their time in the kids pool at back of ship, so they take there toddlers who are not potty trained where the parents want to swim. Not were non potty trained children should be and/or are safer.

It's endless. By every afternoon there are hundreds of people in tiny little pools because the rest are closed and empty. All deck chairs in center of ship are empty. Everyone clumps together around a pool the size of a hot tub.

Children have even pooped and closed the swim up bar. Why children are even allowed in a swim up bar makes no sense at all. They swim around and dive underwater around concrete barstools. Zero thought to safety by parents, lifeguards, or Royal Caribbean.

This cruise is an unbelievable experience. Nobody gives any thought to the other passengers. And a large percentage don't seem to give any thought to the safety of their children. 

Never Ever Ever Again!

Royal Caribbean wants to be Disney Cruise Line. They are failing misserably. 

Oh this is bull crap. Adults only area! Hopefully Royal is reading this. Rules need to be enforced period. I have a child and I am pissed for you. 

• Like 2