Impact of death of spouse before upcoming cruise

Have cruise upcoming in June, 2024 on Equinox, spouse recently passed. Have decided to go solo since other family will be on the sailing. If I report to Celebrity will they reprice the booking at solo rate on  a fully booked cruise. Appears solo rate could be as much as our double rate or higher. Also, have the Cruise Care insurance, will they payout the fare associated with my spouse if Celebrity reprices me to solo rate?

I don’t know the answer, just want to say I’m sorry for the loss of your spouse.  Kudos to you for still wanting to go on cruise.  

• Like 5

Condolences on the loss of your spouse.

I wouldn't say anything to Celebrity at the moment.  When you arrive at the pier, if someone asks where your spouse is (and chances are they won't), tell them that your spouse died.  They probably won't ask and I doubt that the pier checkin personnel have the authority to reprice cruises.  I think it's best to be honest.  If at some point, Celebrity attempts to reprice your cruise higher, then it's time to make a claim with the insurance company.

Just go and enjoy the time with your family.

• Like 10

Post title made me sad. I’m so sorry for your loss. May you find comfort in the presence of your family on this cruise. I agree with others… no need to tell celebrity at this time, if ever. Sincere condolences. 💐 

• Like 4

I am sorry for your loss.  I am going to take a different approach on this one:  Celebrity cannot just increase the price of the cruise after it is paid in full.  This is for the same reason why they don't lower your price if it drops after final payment.  There is no reason to tell them in advance (just to be safe) that he passed and should some ill mannered CSR at the port inquire as to why you didn't I would state that in my grief talking to them was the least of my concerns to shut them down.  My best educated guess is that when you get there and inform them that he passed away recently their only statement will be to offer condolences and to arrange to refund the port fees and taxes for him the same as when some solo passengers book a ghost guest who suddenly can't travel on sail away day or when a second passenger in a room can't travel for any reason.  

• Like 4

I would go on the cruise and not mention your spouse passing. They won’t ask. Couples have been known to check in at different times. 

On return I would make the insurance claim. Celebrity has your money and has nothing to do with insurance. You are not trying to make a false claim. AON should just process your claim. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am very sorry for your loss.  If you check in at boarding with a double occupancy reservation as a solo they will issue a refund for the port fees and taxes for the second person.  They will not reprice as a solo, nor at that time are they obligated to return any portion of the second person's fare.  Depending on your coverage, a claim filed with the insurance company should result in some degree of return of the second fare post cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

So sorry for your loss…My husband died just over a year ago and Celebrity could not have been more helpful or considerate. My situation was very different from yours, however, as I wanted to change my booking.

I tend to agree with the other comments of doing nothing unless you are not the lead passenger. If your spouse was the lead passenger then I think you will need to inform them.

One thing I would add is that I have found it emotionally very hard having to tell people that my husband has died. I am not sure I would want to be doing this as I boarded a ship for my holiday. Nor explain to the room attendant or M’D all of whom may (not realising the circumstances) question where your spouse is. Strongly suggest you check in with other family members and let them do the explaining for you.

A final thought. I know you have family on board which will be wonderful but you have paid for someone in your cabin. Is there a close friend or maybe a sibling you may want to treat to join you? Changing a name should be a nominal fee and given the circumstances will possibly be wavered.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a wonderful family cruise.

• Like 11

I’ve just dealt with something similar. My mum who I always took cruising is now in a nursing home. Just prior to final payment my Celebrity TA (who was so sad at the news) said she would just be a “no show” at boarding or we could do a name change for free. Ends up I’m taking my sister - all my reservations etc I’d made for my mum were transferred to my sister’s name. 
I am so sorry for your loss. 
Wendy 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pilot said:

I would go on the cruise and not mention your spouse passing. They won’t ask. Couples have been known to check in at different times. 

On return I would make the insurance claim. Celebrity has your money and has nothing to do with insurance. You are not trying to make a false claim. AON should just process your claim. 

All passengers on a booking are required to check in together so yes they will ask.

If you are in the UK you have to tell your insurance company of any likely claim "as soon as possible" and therefore waiting until your return would not be an option. 

• Like 2

Sending you love and hugs in this difficult time...... 

Last week I boarded Beyond without my boyfriend as he did not come at the last minute.

I had to explain at the port he was not coming. I waited in guest services right after boarding to cancel our excursion and specialty dining reservations as well as his beverage package. 

I had to follow up shoreside after we returned to have the port fee refund processed. 

In regards to what you can expect if you don't announce until boarding:

- I had to explain numerous times the first few days that he was not there. Twice upon boarding, room magician, main dining room (twice). 

- His name appeared in the app in the texting feature the entirety of the trip. I used this feature all day with others on the ship and I saw his name every time I logged in to text. 

Please take care of yourself during this time and always. I hope you are able to enjoy your trip with family and find comfort...... 

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

I tend to agree with the other comments of doing nothing unless you are not the lead passenger. If your spouse was the lead passenger then I think you will need to inform them.

Sorry for your loss as well.  I don't think it matters as both names appear on the booking together. Honestly, not sure that there is a "lead" passenger on a double occupancy booking with both names having not changed since it was originated. 

Either way, notifying the cruise line at check in that you would be traveling solo would result in the same situation as I mentioned before.

First of all, please accept my condolences for your loss. My husband passed four years ago and I will be sailing to Bermuda in June for the first time since he passed. I’ll be going with a friend who is also a recent widow but I think I would be fine on my own. 

Normally I would suggest just having your husband be a no show but my concern is that some insurance policies require that a cruise be canceled in advance in order to collect. You might want to check your policy. Have a great trip. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, gerif said:

First of all, please accept my condolences for your loss. My husband passed four years ago and I will be sailing to Bermuda in June for the first time since he passed. I’ll be going with a friend who is also a recent widow but I think I would be fine on my own. 

Normally I would suggest just having your husband be a no show but my concern is that some insurance policies require that a cruise be canceled in advance in order to collect. You might want to check your policy. Have a great trip. 

What a difficult topic, and my condolences for your loss as well.  You raise a good point regarding insurance coverage and that certainly is worth checking and perhaps notifying them in advance.

I hope you enjoy your Bermuda cruise!

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

All passengers on a booking are required to check in together so yes they will ask.

If you are in the UK you have to tell your insurance company of any likely claim "as soon as possible" and therefore waiting until your return would not be an option. 

Passengers are not required to check in together. Not sure why you think this?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, pilot said:

Because of this email I received this morning from Celebrity:

SHIP NAME:
Celebrity Summit  
|   SAILING DATE:
17 May 2024  

YOUR SCHEDULED ARRIVAL TIME AT THE TERMINAL IS 

5:00 PM - 5:30 PM 

For a seamless start to your cruise, please arrive at your scheduled time for the best boarding experience. Everyone in your reservation needs to check in together.

Or this one in the same email:

2. Arrive at your scheduled time with everyone in your party and your tagged luggage.

You do note their stating EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHECK IN TOGETHER right?  Not sure why you keep saying an entire party doesn't have to check in together.

Edited by BeasleysMom66

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, pilot said:

Although it may not be required, as there are situations where passengers in a given stateroom are not traveling together, it certainly is expected and typical, especially for those on the same booking by stateroom.  And if someone is arriving at a later time, the agent would typically ask those checking in about the others to confirm the original booking. 

Groups perhaps not so much.  But the check in for each stateroom is not considered "closed" until all parties actually boarding have checked in and notice has been provided for those not sailing.

23 minutes ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

Because of this email I received this morning from Celebrity:

SHIP NAME:
Celebrity Summit  
|   SAILING DATE:
17 May 2024  

YOUR SCHEDULED ARRIVAL TIME AT THE TERMINAL IS 

5:00 PM - 5:30 PM 

For a seamless start to your cruise, please arrive at your scheduled time for the best boarding experience. Everyone in your reservation needs to check in together.

Or this one in the same email:

2. Arrive at your scheduled time with everyone in your party and your tagged luggage.

You do note their stating EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHECK IN TOGETHER right?  Not sure why you keep saying an entire party doesn't have to check in together.

Have never seen this before.  For the last several years at Port Everglades, I have dropped my wife and luggage at the pier and then I return rental car at airport. 

She has never been questioned on why I am not with her at check in. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My condolences on your loss. My husband died last year and it is very hard. I agree with the advice you’ve already been given, don’t say anything in advance. People are not going to mess with a grieving widow because it would be like stomping on bunnies.

Edited by cruzzzinma
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1