The “budget” river cruise lines

sjde

I saw these lines listed as budget river cruise lines. Do you agree?

CroisiEurope, Emerald, Gate1 and Grand Circle.
We loved Grand Circle ( except would’ve preferred a queen bed), even more than Viking. And we liked it about as much as AMA and found it pretty comparable. I suppose the furnishings weren’t quite as upscale, and the wine maybe a tad bit better, but other than that didn’t really see much difference. 

Only been on GC and AMA, and I couldn't disagree with you more. I would completely agree that GC is a budget line.

We Hated GC, love Ama. My parents love GC and didn't really like Ama.

• We can't stand the GC cabins, especially the pullman beds (we spoon). Ama cabins are so much better.
  • Love the excursion options you get on an Ama. Don't like that GC only has a single excursion.
  • Love the small groups they break the excursions into, even if there's many people doing the same thing. Love that they will break up walking tours into easy, normal and active. GC you are with the same 1/4 of the ship for everything, and your pace is limited to the slowest person.
  • Love that Ama uses local experts. Don't like that GC has multiple CMs that act as tour guides at every port (unless you are doing a specific venue that has their own).
  • Love that Ama has 2 & 4 top table options. Not a fan of how every table on GC is 8.

I will say that I found the crew of GC just as friendly as the crew on Ama.

1 hour ago, sjde said:

I saw these lines listed as budget river cruise lines. Do you agree?

Who decides which is a budget line? The lists I've seen have  every line that doesn't claim to be luxury or super-luxury as budget.

For me, the only criteria of budget is cost - as per the word budget- but then it becomes a minefield as to what is included and what is not - and even more importantly whether you want what is included. For instance, if you don't drink alcohol then the inclusion of 'fine' wines is not a luxury to you, and you'd be better off not paying for other peoples drinks.

I've got some upcoming Scenic cruises. They claim they're 'ultra-luxury', I'm blowed if I understand what that actually means. Having cruised with them before I  rate them less luxurious than Viking which make no claims to be luxurious.  And again, some of these 'luxury' lines have sales where they deeply discount the price of their cruises.

I say, ignore these labels, take with a very large pinch of salt the lines' own trumpet-blowing, and decide what you want then find the line that offers it at the lowest cost. Anything extra they offer is something you don't want and will be paying for.

The answer to the original question is very much an individual decision what is budget to some could be different to another as with luxury to some may be basic to others it all depends on the individuals experience. 

• Like 1

I guess also compare apples to apples - one line might be cheaper upfront but you pay for alcoholic drinks or for some extra excursions or for gratuities, for example

As somebody mentioned, depending if  you drink alcoholic drinks that might be a plus or minus either way

What  I liked about Scenic was that everything was included upfront, no extra costs at all - and choice of excursions, not one excursion same for all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sjde said:

Are there any river cruises that don’t include alcohol? 

Some only include wine with lunch and dinner and you pay for any drink outside the dining room. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sjde said:

Almost all German river cruise line do not include any beverages or shore tours.

steamboats

Posted (edited)

As far as I can gather alcohol is always available on the majority of cruise lines so if for some reason you are not happy about this I’m afraid your lost. Although on Scenic for instance your cabin mini bar can be loaded with whatever beverages you require so no need for alcohol in your cabin. You can even start the morning with a ‘Bucks Fizz’ at breakfast, yes I know if your from the states it has another name. The alcohol versus soft drinks has always been a thing and although I think it has changed somewhat at one time soft (non-alcoholic) drinks across Europe were more expensive than alcoholic drinks hence the inclusions.

The first time scootering in Europe the cost of a Coke was eye watering to us as in our local coffee bar it was pennies.

Us Brits at one time had something called a booze cruises evidently cruise across the Channel to Calais load up with cheap alcohol even taking in the cost of the ferry. I dread to think what the wine was like!

Edited by Canal archive

8 hours ago, Kristelle said:

What  I liked about Scenic was that everything was included upfront, no extra costs at all - and choice of excursions, not one excursion same for all.

While it is true that passengers may choose form any excursion at no extra cost, it's converse is that passengers are are paying for excursions they don't want to go on  - or can't  go on.

8 hours ago, sjde said:

Riviera didn't include any alcohol, but in their 2024 & 2025 itineraries they are including their 'superior drinks package', though on reading what's included it seems like house wines with lunch and dinner.

Cruise lines change their offerings, not only their itineraries and excursions but also what is included. Two years ago Scenic gave out a rather nice backpack and supplied chauffer car to/from airport. Not now. Post pandemic Viking included their Silver Spirits drinks package, not from 2025.

Many people now reading CC will be thinking about booking a 2025 cruise. Read carefully what is included because the trip reports and reviews you read here are talking about pre-2025 cruises which may not be the same. Look at the date on CC featured articles; ones I have read are quite incorrect with what happens now.

Posted (edited)

Okay I will most probably get slated or chucked off this forum for this but what planet is the person above on? Talk about discrimination Scenic is an all inclusive company what you pay for is what you get it doesn’t matter that you may not want to do what is on offer you made the choice of travelling with them. In the many times that I have I’ve never been disappointed. I’ve always had superb service the crew have at all times been amazing. It’s our choice not yours! I fully expect an objective comeback or maybe not so ********** it. And I understand your cruising with them again poor them!

Edited by Canal archive

1 hour ago, pontac said:

While it is true that passengers may choose form any excursion at no extra cost, it's converse is that passengers are are paying for excursions they don't want to go on  - or can't  go on.

well, yes, I guess if it is all inclusive and you dont want to go on any excursions and you just planned to stay o n the ship, you are paying for excursions for other people

Not sure anyone plans to do that - but, sure, if you do, it is worth considering if all inclusive is for you.

As Pontac states above, Riviera is beer/wine at lunch, 

Screenshot2024-05-125_58_15AM.png.622cbbc8157f5641dd5d7c8e948465f7.png

We board our Riveira cruise in a few months, this is a special bi-lingual cruise with announcements and tours available in North American English.  Very similar to needing closed captioning on while watching BBC, or you can't follow the story, I've been told.  🙂

Gate One is beer/wine, dinner only.   I'm in process of booking a Gate One Tulip cruise for my spouse and a few of her quilting friends.  Aquarium class will be $2100 pp for 8 April sailing.  The lowest price I've seen that isn't a last minute deal.  It won't be super fancy, and I think they'll be happy with that.  This group just returned from 10 days in Ireland, and my spouse walks too much/too fast for her hip replaced buddies.  Another reason for a cruise...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

Almost all German river cruise line do not include any beverages or shore tours.

steamboats

The emphasis is on the almost. It is worth comparing the German lines to the international ones, for sure. Viva Cruises includes many alcoholic drinks but not excursions for example. The info is here: https://www.viva-*****/en/onboard-abc

notamermaid

Yes, VIVA IS the only German river cruise line including beverages. I didn't want to make my answer too complicated. But VIVA is also catering the English speaking market.

With A-Rosa it depends on the fare you have chosen. Basic doesn't include beverages. BTW currently there's a media group of the UK onboard A-Rosa Sena. A-Rosa had several attempts to go more international.

steamboats 

• Like 1

Some years ago A Rosa was supposed to have teamed with Scenic and I believe this did not happen. But it did with an A Rosa Captain and our Scenic Cruise director well the teasing was well ment and they were a wonderful couple applauded by us on Scenic moored at Cochem  the Moselle.

I read with surprise about ( most) German river cruises not including alcohol. I am

of German ancestry and in the US where I grew up ( WI) Germans were known as big drinkers! 😆

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Okay I will most probably get slated or chucked off this forum for this but what planet is the person above on? Talk about discrimination Scenic is an all inclusive company what you pay for is what you get it doesn’t matter that you may not want to do what is on offer you made the choice of travelling with them. In the many times that I have I’ve never been disappointed. I’ve always had superb service the crew have at all times been amazing. It’s our choice not yours! I fully expect an objective comeback or maybe not so ********** it. And I understand your cruising with them again poor them!

This is plain rude. And shows you didn't read what I wrote.

5 hours ago, Kristelle said:

well, yes, I guess if it is all inclusive and you dont want to go on any excursions and you just planned to stay o n the ship, you are paying for excursions for other people

It's a choice one takes but it's a fact that when you book an excursion you cannot also go on the other excursions running at the same time. They have a cost - the guide at least, maybe coaches, admittance fees .....

48 minutes ago, sjde said:

Ural guy- That sounds like a good price to me. What level of the ship is Aquarium class? 

Aquarium class is the bottom level of the ship, with fixed windows generally high on the wall.

• Like 2