Minor gripe about online check-in, but gripe nonetheless

also, remember that you may not wish to use the same credit card each time. i have no problem doing the check in process and i jump on it as soon as the 21 day comes up. i do agree however that the picture download process is a major pain. i readily admit  being 76 years old, i am truly technologically challenged, and if it wasn't for my 25 year old grandson, i would "NEVER" be able to accomplish  that.

what i do object to is having to watch the safety drill and then having ncl sending continuous e-mail reminding you to watch the safety video, AND the worst cut of all, is after watching the video, and getting the constant reminders, they force you to go down to the assigned muster station . UHG

2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

AND the worst cut of all, is after watching the video, and getting the constant reminders, they force you to go down to the assigned muster station .

I have some advice my friend.  Consider each email from NCL about the safety video as a brief reminder that you'll soon be on a cruise!!  The five minute (or less) walk to the muster station?  It means YES, I am on the ship!!!  Woo Hoo!!!🤩

• Like 2

Coincidentally, I just did the check-in for our Viva cruise an hour ago and I was pleasantly surprised.  I always recall it as being a pain in the butt but this time a lot of the stuff was autofilled.  We saved our pictures from the last ordeal and uploading them went smoothly this time too.  They still ask a few needless questions and try to sell you stuff but, all in all, I'm thinking the process has improved.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i am truly technologically challenged, and if it wasn't for my 25 year old grandson, i would "NEVER" be able to accomplish  that.

Me too.  Tech is one of the (many) reasons we are now thankful that we had lots of children!  It remains a mystery though, since they just grab the device and do it for you.  I bet our immigrant parents felt this way, lol. Like us, they were smart but couldn't communicate in this new way.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, complawyer said:

what i do object to is having to watch the safety drill and then having ncl sending continuous e-mail reminding you to watch the safety video, AND the worst cut of all, is after watching the video, and getting the constant reminders, they force you to go down to the assigned muster station

For my cruise in January I don't recall getting bombarded for the videos like I did for my cruise in 2022 (my 2023 cruise was during the short time we had in-person muster drills). 

But think about this regarding having to visit the muster station when you board - what about first-time cruisers?  Sure, for those of us that have sailed a few times it's relatively easy to figure out, but for a first-timer it's a good idea to guide them to a place they can become familiar with as THE place to go when those whistles go off.  It's all of 2 or 3 minutes, get over it...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Coincidentally, I just did the check-in for our Viva cruise an hour ago and I was pleasantly surprised.  I always recall it as being a pain in the butt but this time a lot of the stuff was autofilled.  We saved our pictures from the last ordeal and uploading them went smoothly this time too.  They still ask a few needless questions and try to sell you stuff but, all in all, I'm thinking the process has improved.

When I checked in for my last cruise, I was on a long camping/road trip and did the checkin standing in the parking lot of a laundromat in some small town in Montana. Had good cell phone reception and didn't have to connect to anyone's wifi. Used a selfie with the stripmall in the background. No problem loading it to the site. No makeup, had barely brushed my hair. (Didn't care.) Had my passport with me and completed the whole thing in under 5 minutes. Maybe I was lucky? Don't know. 

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I have some advice my friend.  Consider each email from NCL about the safety video as a brief reminder that you'll soon be on a cruise!!  The five minute (or less) walk to the muster station?  It means YES, I am on the ship!!!  Woo Hoo!!!🤩

I've only been on one NCL cruise post COVID but definitely a fan of the quick walk to the muster station and check in versus everyone drop what you are doing, got sit in the huge theater or stand outside in line at your muster station and having to wait for everyone to get there. Hope they key it the same way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JGmf said:

No, it's not the end of the world, but c'mon NCL:  I've sailed on you over 15 times, 3 times in the past year. 

Stop asking all the same questions at check-in about whether I sailed with you in the past, what my passport number is, how you need me to upload my photo, etc. 

I've pivoted to Princess of late; and they don't ask you any of that stuff after your first cruise.  It's quick and easy...in fact, all of their tech is way more advanced than you.

Do better NCL.

You are 100% correct. Sailed with NCL over a dozen times we have a cruise coming up in 6 weeks. Our last cruise I spent 30 minutes trying to upload our photos. These same photos have been used for our passports and other things. FINALLY got them to upload, get to the pier for check in and we are told we need to retake your photos.... LOL.... This next cruise coming up I'm going to skip the photos's (if that is possible). Another thing I get annoyed at is online and the App always show I have a new email.... I don't and their is no way to get rid of it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Another thing I get annoyed at is online and the App always show I have a new email.... I don't and their is no way to get rid of it

i've gone in and laboriously clicked on each message and opened each one (yes, again) and that usually solves the problem.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Yes, and also did you go grey or change your hair colour/style since the last time you cruised?

Some of us haven’t changed our hair colour/style since we were at school. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, UKstages said:

it's not up to the guest to remember to proactively change the information.

proper programming will ensure that the data gets changed... you will be requested to provide new data when the old data has expired or is invalid. just like if you enter an incorrect zip code or fail to select an appropriate country for your telephone number. 

if the site is designed properly, they wouldn't let you proceed until the data is updated. in the case of your passport, they know the expiration date. you'd get an error message and would not be able to check in if you don't update the data.

ever try to check out at an online merchant if you have a saved but expired credit card on file? they will ask you to update.

I’m with you! IT’s especially aggravating when you have 3 or 4 in your party and have to do for all.

I have the kids and grandkids passport stored in my photos so I have it and don’t have to wait for them to resend to me! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i've gone in and laboriously clicked on each message and opened each one (yes, again) and that usually solves the problem.

Believe me, I always do that to no avail Lol

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Some of us haven’t changed our hair colour/style since we were at school. 🙂

Some of us have had a forced (and still evolving) hair style change since school.  Genetics are a b(*&&

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

You are 100% correct. Sailed with NCL over a dozen times we have a cruise coming up in 6 weeks. Our last cruise I spent 30 minutes trying to upload our photos. These same photos have been used for our passports and other things. FINALLY got them to upload, get to the pier for check in and we are told we need to retake your photos.... LOL.... This next cruise coming up I'm going to skip the photos's (if that is possible). Another thing I get annoyed at is online and the App always show I have a new email.... I don't and their is no way to get rid of it

Seems to be a common experience---having a problem uploading the picture, finally getting it done, and then they end up retaking it at check in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Seems to be a common experience---having a problem uploading the picture, finally getting it done, and then they end up retaking it at check in.

Yep so I no longer waste my time trying to upload photos

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a hit & miss thing with the photo(s). My mom sailed recently with her friends and they simply gave up with uploading photos as there was constantly an issue. I, on the other hand, checked my mom in and the photo went through perfectly on my first attempt (scan of a passport photo).

But now I have a family cruise coming up (2+2) and am thinking that maybe I'll just let them take all the photos on the spot. Does it slow down the port embarkation process or is it literally just "look here for 10 seconds please" and doesn't really impact how long it takes to get through?

12 minutes ago, astera said:

Seems like a hit & miss thing with the photo(s). My mom sailed recently with her friends and they simply gave up with uploading photos as there was constantly an issue. I, on the other hand, checked my mom in and the photo went through perfectly on my first attempt (scan of a passport photo).

But now I have a family cruise coming up (2+2) and am thinking that maybe I'll just let them take all the photos on the spot. Does it slow down the port embarkation process or is it literally just "look here for 10 seconds please" and doesn't really impact how long it takes to get through?

Not even ten seconds.

• Like 1

I checked in this morning. The selfie was the only issue for me. I am blind without my glasses and could not upload any selfies I already had because I had glasses on. I tried taking a selfie without my glasses but it was difficult and kept getting errors when I uploaded. Including one about posture? It took me about 15 minutes to get passed it. A new and different reason to be late to work 😂

2 hours ago, astera said:

The odds are that they retake them anyway, and yes it is 10 seconds or less per person. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 5:13 PM, JGmf said:

Sorry, but entering that stuff again is a waste of time.  They already have our credit card and passport information in their databases....ready to be hacked by anyone smart enough with enough time to do so.  Entering it again is perplexing.  It's not about data security.

I'd have to disagree. They would have no way of know if the information had changed or if you might want to use a different credit card...easier to simply ask each time.

Same way that on every flight you take they show you how to buckle and unbuckle your seatbelt..even though you are already wearing it by the time they get around to showing you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lepidoptera said:

I checked in this morning. The selfie was the only issue for me. I am blind without my glasses and could not upload any selfies I already had because I had glasses on. I tried taking a selfie without my glasses but it was difficult and kept getting errors when I uploaded. Including one about posture? It took me about 15 minutes to get passed it. A new and different reason to be late to work 😂

I find it funny that they say no glasses (just like the passport picture), but then when we were checking in (in Southampton, UK) and they retook our pictures, I was told I could keep my glasses on. I asked, and was told just to take off my sunglasses which were perched on top of my head.

Either way it seems like there is nothing to worry about, and once you're onboard the first drink will definitely make you forget about any photo issues that might have happened earlier... 🙂

17 minutes ago, astera said:

Either way it seems like there is nothing to worry about, and once you're onboard the first drink will definitely make you forget about any photo issues that might have happened earlier... 🙂

Works for me!  Of course, I'm in the minority who couldn't care less if they want to retake my photo.  I'm about to get on a cruise ship!  Ain't nothin bringing me down.😎

Perhaps the problem occurs most with those who don't drink?

The one weird thing I noticed when checking in for our cruise in a couple weeks was on my iPad when I selected photos, the 'Done' was in the upper right hand corner and was the same color as the photo surround - so I had no idea it was there until after several attempts I noticed it - weird that it was the same color - no idea if that is an apple issue or an NCL programming issue - but having 'Done' be white like the image surround made no sense.