Considering Explora Journey But Would Appreciate Some Feedback as Comparted to other Brands

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

With the Edge class, you could change that to "a bit of rogue applied."  Still not appealing IMHO.

I am a cruising addict and my partner enjoys it but not to my level. He's much more rational but after about 5 days of hearing people say "Celebrity is my FAVOURITE line", he was "um, could you please tell me why?"

Pictures can NOT show how these ships ultimately don't work.  Not a single "enclosed" lounge to have a quiet drink or chat, practically no live music but pumped in aggressive prerecorded  music everywhere, dining areas far too small for the number of passengers and a constant din because of the numbers of people.

It's been 13 years so my memory may not be serving me well but the Solstice Class ships were far superior.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Solstice Class ships were far superior.

I agree – and also suspect your tense is correct.  Remember when the Solstice class was introduced, they went back and 'Solsticized' the Millennium class?  They are now 'Edgifying' the M and S classes, to make sure they ruin the entire fleet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

We have sailed on Celebrity 33 times with over 250 days onboard but had a civilized separation almost a decade ago. It was becoming apparent that the product had become Royal Caribbean with a bit of rouge applied.

We tried again 5 years ago and had a terrible experience but yet returned as their Norwegian Fjords itinerary was perfect for us. As I always tell friends, itinerary is always number #1 and you can usually suck it up for a week or two!  (ie get over yourself!)

But .... after having read soooooo much about the Edge Class ships (pro and con) I was unprepared for how it all just didn't work!  It really was like someone had floated a high-end mall to sea with a capacity of 2000 but loaded it up with 3000 instead for ... just because.

I know some people go between Carnival and Seabourn or the like but it just didn't work for us.

The noise!  The crowds! The lines!

I have yet to try Seabourn or Crystal (and will be on Seabourn later this year) but Explora is a good fit for me at this stage of my life.

In looking at the Edge class ships just seemed too big. Your comments bear that out plus the Retreat prices are very high IMHO for what you get

Sailed on Seabourn on a 14 night that was excellent 

Enjoy

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree – and also suspect your tense is correct.  Remember when the Solstice class was introduced, they went back and 'Solsticized' the Millennium class?  They are now 'Edgifying' the M and S classes, to make sure they ruin the entire fleet...

Been on Celebrity Solstice 4 times and loved it every time in the past

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

20 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

In looking at the Edge class ships just seemed too big. Your comments bear that out plus the Retreat prices are very high IMHO for what you get

Sailed on Seabourn on a 14 night that was excellent 

Enjoy

Hey - we still talk about entering the Grand Dining room on Celebrity Century almost 30 years (!!!!) ago on the upper level and walking past the orchestra as you descended the grand staircase!!!

Our memories play tricks on us but it was remarkable how 900 people could be served a SUPERB dinner simultaneously with no need of specialty restaurants.

But .... I've hijacked this topic enough...

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Hey - we still talk about entering the Grand Dining room on Celebrity Century almost 30 years (!!!!) ago on the upper level and walking past the orchestra as you descended the grand staircase!!!

Our memories play tricks on us but it was remarkable how 900 people could be served a SUPERB dinner simultaneously with no need of specialty restaurants.

But .... I've hijacked this topic enough...

Totally agree and have varied experiences since 1st cruise in 1980 on Song of Norway. 

One  factor that I rarely see discussed on CC is passenger space ratio the higher the better. I have recently been looking at this more as a way to determine how a ship might feel at various passenger loads

All the best

I’ll weigh in because hubby is also enamored with the idea of trying Explora for many of the reasons mentioned above.  We recently spent 21 nights on Edge in a Sky Suite.  It was an “it’s all about the itinerary” cruise.  Loved our cabin layout.  The Retreat Sundeck spaces were a win for us.  There was live music in the Martini Bar and Eden.  

However, LONG waits to get off the ship in port (hours in some cases), long tender waits to return, subdued Retreat lounge atmosphere with no bar seating, and the kicker… being handed a beeper to wait for availability In Luminae at dinner.  I second the comments about a few wide open lounges.  I referred to the Martini bar area as “the pit”.  Downstairs with no view, loud music, and rarely an open seat.  I guess it works for some.  The music in “the pit” blasted the surrounding specialty restaurants.  We liked the lounge in Eden where you had a view of the wake without all the noise.

Speaking of intimate, our next cruise is on Atlas Ocean Voyages with 198 passengers.  It’s an expedition, so the priorities are different and the atmosphere more relaxed.  However, we read great things (with the exception of 1GB of included internet 🤣).

We are also fond of Azamara because it is not segregated by class, we enjoyed the food, and found the service excellent.  However, they sail the old R Class ships so the cabins are very small by today’s standards.  

And finally, there are the Holland America Pinnacle class ships.  We find them to be a great blend of old and new.  Lots of intimate lounges, 2 story open/closing roof center pool, and nice variety of specialty restaurants.  However, HAL doesn’t really do suite extras well.  So, our first TA will be in a verandah.

The MSC concept with Explora looks interesting.  The pictures are beautiful.  I’m a bit concerned about the same menu every day.  I know my DH is cheering for you to convince me 😉 to give Explora a try 🛳️.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

I’ll weigh in because hubby is also enamored with the idea of trying Explora for many of the reasons mentioned above.  We recently spent 21 nights on Edge in a Sky Suite.  It was an “it’s all about the itinerary” cruise.  Loved our cabin layout.  The Retreat Sundeck spaces were a win for us.  There was live music in the Martini Bar and Eden.  

However, LONG waits to get off the ship in port (hours in some cases), long tender waits to return, subdued Retreat lounge atmosphere with no bar seating, and the kicker… being handed a beeper to wait for availability In Luminae at dinner.  I second the comments about a few wide open lounges.  I referred to the Martini bar area as “the pit”.  Downstairs with no view, loud music, and rarely an open seat.  I guess it works for some.  The music in “the pit” blasted the surrounding specialty restaurants.  We liked the lounge in Eden where you had a view of the wake without all the noise.

Speaking of intimate, our next cruise is on Atlas Ocean Voyages with 198 passengers.  It’s an expedition, so the priorities are different and the atmosphere more relaxed.  However, we read great things (with the exception of 1GB of included internet 🤣).

We are also fond of Azamara because it is not segregated by class, we enjoyed the food, and found the service excellent.  However, they sail the old R Class ships so the cabins are very small by today’s standards.  

And finally, there are the Holland America Pinnacle class ships.  We find them to be a great blend of old and new.  Lots of intimate lounges, 2 story open/closing roof center pool, and nice variety of specialty restaurants.  However, HAL doesn’t really do suite extras well.  So, our first TA will be in a verandah.

The MSC concept with Explora looks interesting.  The pictures are beautiful.  I’m a bit concerned about the same menu every day.  I know my DH is cheering for you to convince me 😉 to give Explora a try 🛳️.

Big cheers for DH. It's worth the experience given your other history. We loved Azamara and have been on R ships about 4 times the 1st time with Renaissance. So yes I hope you are able to go on EJ. We are coming back for a 2nd time in 2025. 

Enjoy

• Like 2

We have many cruises on Azamara and have had one cruise in MSC Yacht Club and two on Viking.  We prefer quiet, relaxed with good attentive service but not over the top fawning.  On Azamara we usually go for a Club Continent.  We hate big ship. loud entertainment or loads of upcharge all around the ship.  We prefer fewer children (but do not need child free) and have no need for onboard shopping.  Good food matters to us as does some "piano bar" entertainment.  

With that background we can say we tried Explora when it was still settling in last Autumn but liked it so much we have booked two more cruises.  Compared to Azamara the food is far better and more to our tastes and even the base level suites are far better than a club continent.    There is much more guest space than Azamara - it is more on a par with Viking.  However in terms of pools and outside space the order of preference is 1.  Explora 2. Viking 3.  Azamara.  In terms of entertainment our preference is 1. Viking 2. Azamara 3. Explora

I am glad we have found Explora - we were not enjoying Azamara as much as we used to, though weve since had a better experience on them - and would encourage others to try it with an open mind

• Like 2

When we cruised from Los Angeles to Panama, it was a perfect environment with very personal service.

When a lot more people joined us at Panama, many things changed and there was a different environment, which we haven’t been greatly impressed with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I should have added our first Explora experience was surrounded by influencers and people on freebies but we were able to see beyond that to be happy to book again.  It is an issue and something I would be aware of when choosing itinerary - shorter trips starting on ending in Miami may be more at risk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, uktog said:

I should have added our first Explora experience was surrounded by influencers and people on freebies

@uktog I must be so naive.  My adult daughter tells me that all the time. I had no idea the Influencers and other folks get free "Anything".  Yet I watch hundreds of YouTube videos.  I love TikTok but usually for the French Bull Dog video and guys fixing Cow feet.  Not kidding here and kind of ashamed of myself.

To me, the key to great information on any product especially a luxury product is what the folks that pay full price think after the fact. If the guest does not have skin in the game, how can they shot us all straight?  Don't get me wrong, Any Cruise Brand That Wants To Give Me a Free Cruise, I am easy to find.  I also know a lot of folks that will take free cruises also.

The above two paragraphs is my off the wall, sense of humor.  Yet there is some truth to it.  The key to me about an learning about a new brand is learning the good, bad and ugly.  Example, one brand I cruise has lobster tails on the grill in their buffet.  The lobster is horrible, over cooked and tough to eat. Enough folks have said so.  My strategy, avoid the Lobster Tails at that grill. Problem solved.  What if no information was provided, what if the truth was not told,  and the so called facts were based on gaining a free experience. 

Just a thought to consider this Wednesday Morning. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

IMHO, it should not be a problem for a 7-day cruise. Between room service, Emporia buffet (lunch & dinner), the Fils Rouge (breakfast & dinner), the Marble and the Sakura (lunch & dinner), there should be enough choice. On a longer journey, just re-order the dishes you like.

I would remind myself that I should not expect the same food experience as back home. After many years, I have a curated collection of favorites. Culled from the best of several culinary traditions.

That said, the YC Mediterranean meal was so unremarkable that I quickly had lunch at Cioppino in Yaletown. Heard that they were closing in December. Rushed over to show support. For 100 Euro, I had 2 appetizers and the Mother Sunday Lasagna, and finished with a nice Cannoli.

That was a very filling gastronomic experience. BTW, one of the app was duck liver on toast. Unlike the duck liver in the Anthology, the Cioppino's was cooked and had strong favor. Interesting!

Cioppino 2 duck liver special.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I only read of whiskeys and wine.  I am a beer snob and hope Explora has some premium beers.  As a beer judge as well as a beer brewer- both professional and homebrewer, I am looking forward to some quality brews.  

We are booked on the April 24,2025 Miami to Miami cruise.

On 5/20/2024 at 3:29 PM, RJ2002 said:

It's good that you shared your feedback directly with management.  What was his response?

“Thanks for the feedback, we’ll reconsider”.

that is probably what I would’ve said.

Disclaimer

It is Saturday, June 22, 2024.  I woke up early, had a double shot of espresso and got wired.  So I started to write on CruiseCritic.com.  The below comment is WAY to long.  It is full of misspellings and horrible grammar.  It comes across as a huge complaint but in reality it is about this topic of gaining help on choosing a new cruise brand.  I write by story telling, not fewest words.  I believe folks having a similar issue, want context.  If a long story, to explain a situation on a Cruise Blog is not for you, please move on to another topic.  You have been forewarned.  

So I wrote this topic, post on May 15, 2024.  Prior, I read as much as I could about the concept, ship and limited experience other cruisers had with Explora Journey and the Explora I ship.  After writing the initial topic, I saw the potential for the brand, the brand was having a very nice sale, the reviews were somewhat consistent.  So I booked a OS-2 because I needed twin beds.  OS-1 did not have them. My older sister, will be joining me and this is her first and last cruise. What better way to cruise then a Luxury Cruise. 

As is normal for me, I continue to read posts on the products and brands I am considering and have booked.  I did this same approach for the NCL Haven, Celebrity Retreat, Crystal Cruises, Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection and MSC Yacht Club.  The only one I cancelled was the Ritz-Carton but that was years ago and their first ship was two years from being finished.  They claimed luxury and their staff at the time was really horrible.  Since then, Ritz-Carlton has fixed their glitches and is becoming a effective choice for luxury cruising. 

My time on cruise social media is equally split between Explora and Oceania both lines I have future booking on. After years of this kind of process, pretty quickly one sees trends and patterns with the topics being posted.  Inconsistencies, Positives and some Negatives. The more folks that actually experience and write about that experience, makes creating a on-board strategy much more effective. Example: If one restaurant or entree is consistently listed as bad, I avoid it.  By avoiding something that lots of folks have an issue with, I never negatively effects my cruise.  Some items can not be avoided, that is the foundation of this topic, brand websites". 

The one topic that is very much an annoyance to me is the "Explora Journey Website".  I am quite away of another topic stream on this area.  I choose to comment here on this stream because I started it and it is on topic to choosing a new cruise brand.  I heard all the reason why, Explora is having so much issues with their website and I don't care. Why, I am a consumer.  A consumer of a new product, a cruise brand that wants to change the way we all look at luxury.  That is a tall statement. My career prior to a stroke and retirement was focused on fully understanding a luxury clients wants, needs and motives.  Prior to experience any brands product or service, ALL touch-point were critical for any Luxury Client to make a change or consider a new brand.  In todays day and age, a website is a critical Touch-Point. It is an expectation just as the announcement on Delta Airlines of, "Our commitment first and foremost is to your safety." If my safety is in question, I want off this flight.  Your commitment should be to my first drink. Somethings simply need to be assumed like Safety to a air brand and website to a cruise brand. 

I booked my cruise a month ago.  For that entire month, I have attempted to gain access to my account on the website.  The Host, Crew or Team members I have communicated with are very professional when emailed or on the phone.  There is zero follow-through to resolution.  ZERO.  I have eight back and fourth's with emails first. Promises of an IT/Website department getting involved never happened.  I am on my fourth live Telephone Visit, fourth escalation to another level within the company with zero resolution.  I haven been promised with no solicitation on my part, to get back a phone call that day, or at the latest the next morning and received NONE. My access worked for 12 hours after I used a second email address then it was not accessible and asking to reset my password never produced a link to that email address. 

"Third World Problems" I know but impressions mean everything.  Follow-through with a new company on a client issue that is somewhat simple creates a feeling of luxury.  The continued excuse "we are a new company and having some growing pains" is concerning.  I get that WHEN  building a SHIP like when they announced the Explora II was delayed.  But, building website that works in a user friendly way should be a no-brainer for a company like MSC.  No excuses, Balls and Strikes; Blocking and tackling.  Basics especially for a luxury buyer or a company that wants to be in the luxury segment while changing the industry. 

Conclusion:  I will KEEP my booking.  I figure between now and February 2025, they will fix the glitch.  This should NOT deter others from considering this new luxury brand. Mostly they seem to have a target and when it did not work for clients, it seems they are adjusting policies and procedures to fine tune their product.  Commendable. Some adjustments are welcomed, other are evaluating/changing items like quality of champagne in the lower priced stateroom. Yet the owners and leadership need to know, the feeling new clients get from promises of an issue being repaired or a follow up phone call deeply disappoint the clientele they are courting. 

For those that know me, my history and my approach.  I have sent a very professional letter to the company, certified mail, expressing this topic with a solution.  I wait two weeks, then send the same letter again until someone with authority contacts me.  I am the squeaky wheel because the world NEEDS new, exciting and quality brands that focus on exceeding a clients expectations. Thanks for reading.

"Cruise well and enjoy every moment."

• Like 4

I agree with you, their IT is not good. We had a similar issue with getting into our accounts. After three sets of back & forth emails my account now works, but my husband’s doesn’t.

However there’s not much to see on the account and there seem to be no ‘Destination Experiences’ (shore excursions) available for our April 25 cruise, despite having just had a general email from them saying they now have ‘Destination Experiences’.

The account and booking side of the website is Veronix Seaware, which Azamara are also using. It works better on Azamara, but it took a long time for a Azamara to improve it and it still doesn’t work properly for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I agree with you, their IT is not good. We had a similar issue with getting into our accounts. After three sets of back & forth emails my account now works, but my husband’s doesn’t.

However there’s not much to see on the account and there seem to be no ‘Destination Experiences’ (shore excursions) available for our April 25 cruise, despite having just had a general email from them saying they now have ‘Destination Experiences’.

The account and booking side of the website is Veronix Seaware, which Azamara are also using. It works better on Azamara, but it took a long time for a Azamara to improve it and it still doesn’t work properly for everyone.

Given there are no destination experiences for our September and November cruises you are in for a long wait 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

@Grandma Cruising Your comment is exactly why I wrote my post.  I knew others where having the same issue.  As you may recall, I called the issue an announce.  For me, when I had access for that short time, I notice the box for separate twin beds were not engaged.  That sent a red flag for me.  Hence the reason I want access.  

My whole strategy of cruising is mainly one concept, "Realistic Expectations".  To do that, one has to know the hiccups, road blocks, and pot holes.  We can simply avoid them or not be surprised when they effect our journey.  Other folks get upset with post on things that are less then perfect on a cruise.  I love them for my education applying accident avoidance. 

On your excursions not being listed.  Thank you for sharing.  Nice to know.  I usually do my own excursions so I can control them.  The Caribbean itinerary I will be going on are places I have been many times before.  I think I have been on every Catamaran ride, snorkeling journey, beach retreats, and tour of sights in each port.  Personally, I like to get off the ship, see if there is a vendor for a golf cart, book it for a couple of hours (especially Key West), find a comfy place to have a drink/appetizer and watch the people. Just me.  I do the same thing in the Mediterranean but on Hop on/off busses that have audio of the locations they go by.  All easy google searches and rates/comments on the reviews.  Just me. 

Thank you for your post. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 1

I had an initial problem with accessing my account back in mid 2023 and it was fixed with an email exchange, but I agree their website is terrible.  One thing that still nags at me a little is the area that asks if you have any special occasions and on our first cruise I listed it was our anniversary, as it was, and our second listed it was my birthday, which they can easily see from my passport and info in the system, that I was celebrating a birthday while on board. No one said a word, nothing was made special, except by one of the managers because we told her early on that that is why we took the cruise, as we were celebrating my birthday, and she made sure I was celebrated.  

What bothers me about it is that nothing was done in connection with the “special occasion” note they asked me about on their website, so why ask about it if you don’t care?   This is not that big of a deal, but I do wonder why it’s even listed on there if they don’t bother reading the personal information.  So, I’d make sure with a live EJ rep that your suite number indicates twin bed, but not worry too much if it’s not listed as such on the website as I don’t think they look at this or it doesn’t connect in any way to the back office. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary,

I agree with you on the web site. I hate to call/email/bother folks with things I could be doing myself. I don't like to waste my time on hold waiting on the phone either.  Idk what cruise line has the best website..  Honestly, I'd probably say Carnival.  I booked a Panama Canal cruise on the 20 year old Carnival Miracle once...1 year out shore excursions/speciality dining/etc were available.   

I had a TA book my first cruise way back in 2007.  After that I said no more because really, I like to be in control.  That's just me.  I trust myself to be in charge of my vacation.  I'd say I book well over 80% of my excursions too.  I guess it's the Unknown that bothers me as far as Explora goes. ESPECIALLY since it's a new cruise line, new ship, and certainly the whole Explora process is new to me. 

Moving to current times... I have a TA now.  I took my last cruise booked by me in March.  I like her. She's a gem. She alone is the reason I even booked my Explora Journey cruise. She told me "Chuck, you need to do this!"  So I'm going to trust her with this. Ronald Regan, "trust but verify" is about the best I can do! I have three more cruises booked thru her. I DO like the added security these days with things having to go thru her, which I used to hate that.  So canceling or modifying my cruise ain't gonna happen unless it goes from me to her! The extra OBC is nice too.

So my cruise is in March 2025.  I'll keep you posted of when my dining options and shore excursions become available. Hopefully yours will come up before mine.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here is a Update:  

After so many attempts I can't remember to fix EJ Website issue using email, I just gave up.  I called again and was promised a call back that day or the next morning.  That was three days ago.  

Then after all that, I got a survey this morning on how the representative did on the phone with me.  You know, the one that promised to call me back and never did.  So, I did something I rarely do, I did the survey and it was NOT Pretty. My verbatim (Written) comments were very detailed expressing my frustration and disappointment.  

They survey system company they use is one I worked with in my business career. I know how to gain attention.  My intent is to help EJ, not hurt them.  To express how failed promises effect a luxury clients willingness to take a chance on a new brand.  How making excuses makes the brand look common and does not endear them to the guest.  I was as always professional, detailed, told the story and gave recommended recommendations to fix the issue.  

If anyone from the company gets back with me, I will let this blog know.  To be clear, I am NOT canceling my cruise.  I am seeing how much it takes to simply get a simple request handled when the brand wants to change the luxury cruising landscape.  Let us call this an experiment. 

"Cruise well and enjoy every moment."

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 3

Having sailed on true luxury lines: Seabourn, Scenic, Regent and old Crystal IMO EJ is not (at least yet) in the same category.  They have a lot of potential but many fails based on our 19 days onboard.  I know some folks on this board think they are the best ever but we and some others we know who have sailed on the other lines mentioned above feel the same.  

There is a lot of really good, but a lot of not so good that could easily be rectified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Having sailed on true luxury lines: Seabourn, Scenic, Regent and old Crystal IMO EJ is not (at least yet) in the same category.

It seems Explora passengers are more familiar with Azamara, Oceania type ships rather than what you have mentioned.  At least when it comes to raves.  I agree that people normally sailing  the lines you listed would feel as you described.  Only natural they would have a more critical view.  Fourteen days on Explora works fine for me.  My last seven days (out of 19) could have been brutal with the influx of creepy people, but it was impressive how the crew protected a familiar face in the restaurants.  Thinking of doing a short try on Scenic during October for a new experience.

• Thanks 1