The Time's They are a Changing

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’m leading a group to Tuscany in September for two weeks of museums and wineries. Part of our adventure is going to be the various great Tuscan food. It’s not going to be Americanized Tuscan or NoNo Tuscan, but Tuscan with all the local herbs and spices. Then my DW and I are off to Bologna for their food for three days! We won’t feel compelled to eat at a Subway or Burger King the entire trip! Afterwards, we may not eat Tuscan for awhile!

Sounds like heaven to me!  How fun! DH and I are discussing another Tuscany land trip. Never have been to Bologna. I have a feeling your itinerary is probably pretty over the top in a very good way. 

Posted (edited)

Age:  There are old people and then there are “old" people.  Age is just a number, but some of us never want to grow up and become “old,” although we know it will eventually happen.  It takes a lot of work to stay healthy, alert and full of energy, not to mention finding friends who are like-minded.  Yes, we all have challenges, but many of us try to take these in stride.  None of us is getting out of here alive, so we all just need to make the best of it and be kind.  After all, life is short and we have worked hard to cruise.

☺️  My 98 year old aunt always ate her dessert first!  She said it made the rest of her meal eatable...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 11

Also, just because someone uses a walker or scooter does not mean they are "old and feeble"..... we are in our upper 70's and I had to use a walker last time because I just had hip replacement surgery and was not soo steady on my feet.  We were still off the ship and out and about the towns exploring but just a bit slower than usual...some of the most wonderful people we have met onboard were "older" and had the best stories to tell!!

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just yesterday, DW and I were doing some homework for a future cruise sometime in late summer/early fall of 2025.  I soon found myself doing research on Virgin Cruises, since they have an itinerary (23 days) that got my interest.  When I looked at some comments and sample menus on that line, my reaction was WOW!  Completely different, in a more modern cuisine way, than what I have experienced on other lines (with the possible exception of Explora Journeys).  Of course, I do not know if the food is "dumbed down" like many dishes on O (thank you, No no's).  But no question that Virgin has taken their cuisine to a much more contemporary world (they even have an upscale vegetarian restaurant).  The question still remains as to whether Virgin will be our 20th cruise line! 

Hank

We were on a Virgin cruise out of Miami 2 months ago...our 16th on various cruise lines and without a doubt, the BEST food experience to date. We all loved it. It will be our first time on Oceania this November and while we are looking forward to a totally new environment, we'll be making comparisons.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, basor said:

Also, just because someone uses a walker or scooter does not mean they are "old and feeble"..... we are in our upper 70's and I had to use a walker last time because I just had hip replacement surgery and was not soo steady on my feet.  We were still off the ship and out and about the towns exploring but just a bit slower than usual...some of the most wonderful people we have met onboard were "older" and had the best stories to tell!!

We're someone like you. I'm dealing with a back issue that's likely going to take a long time to resolve. Almost any walking can give me a lot of pain. (I describe it as I can't make it through Costco.) So I'm considering one of those small scooters that fold down. PS: I have great stories also 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, basor said:

Also, just because someone uses a walker or scooter does not mean they are "old and feeble"....

There are those of us who are not "old" but handicapped (polio) and in need of mobility assistance.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Age:  There are old people and then there are “old" people.  Age is just a number, but some of us never want to grow up and become “old,” although we know it will eventually happen.  It takes a lot of work to stay healthy, alert and full of energy, not to mention finding friends who are like-minded.  Yes, we all have challenges, but many of us try to take these in stride.  None of us is getting out of here alive, so we all just need to make the best of it and be kind.  After all, life is short and we have worked hard to cruise.

☺️  My 98 year old aunt always ate her dessert first!  She said it made the rest of her meal eatable...

👍😀So true-be the person you want to be.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, clo said:

We will be back on O in July and will try GDR again. The only other time we ate there the service was so slow/bad I can't even remember the food. Also, to tell you the truth, the 'ambiance' of the GDR is just too-too. Ah well. I'll avert my eyes.

Curious when you say slow/bad.    Could you elaborate --- just trying to get my mind prepared to what we might experience.   We generally enjoy a slower relaxed dinner than being rushed with  main dropping almost as fast as you put a spoon down from the appetizer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious when you say slow/bad.    Could you elaborate --- just trying to get my mind prepared to what we might experience.   We generally enjoy a slower relaxed dinner than being rushed with  main dropping almost as fast as you put a spoon down from the appetizer.

I'd like to think/hope that it was a one-off event. It took 20 or 30 minutes to get a menu (the couple at the next table had the same experience) and each course was painfully slow also. And we don't like to be rushed either. But it seems from reading here that our experience wasn't typical. With four meals at specialities and we got a extra at one and our love of the Terrace Cafe we just weren't inspired to return to the GDR. This upcoming trip is a B2B close to three weeks so we'll have more opportunity.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I'd like to think/hope that it was a one-off event. It took 20 or 30 minutes to get a menu (the couple at the next table had the same experience) and each course was painfully slow also. And we don't like to be rushed either. But it seems from reading here that our experience wasn't typical. With four meals at specialities and we got a extra at one and our love of the Terrace Cafe we just weren't inspired to return to the GDR. This upcoming trip is a B2B close to three weeks so we'll have more opportunity.

That’s odd because. they bring the menus as they seat you in the GDR. We regularly eat in the GDR and have never had to wait for a menu it surely must have been a one off. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Look forward to hearing about your cruise.   My anticipation of our first Oceania cruise is really growing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We prefer leisurely so very rarely eat in the Terrace in the evening with lots of people going back and forth to the buffet. You should enjoy the GDR we’ve never had an experience when we’ve felt as though we were ‘waiting’ impatiently to be served! Go with an open mind

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Look forward to hearing about your cruise.   My anticipation of our first Oceania cruise is really growing.

So is ours. We've not done one since covid.

15 hours ago, Sophie's Mom1 said:

We were on a Virgin cruise out of Miami 2 months ago...our 16th on various cruise lines and without a doubt, the BEST food experience to date. We all loved it. It will be our first time on Oceania this November and while we are looking forward to a totally new environment, we'll be making comparisons.

Virgin and Oceania are polar opposites. Virgin does have very good food in its restaurants (better than Oceania IMO) but we became quickly bored with Virgin's food hall (aka buffet). The total number of offerings at its stations is quite small and for the most part unvarying. The same sandwiches, the same tacos, the same sushi, etc., every day. We did love the ramen, but who doesn't love noodles? Also, lots and lots and lots of hard seating on Virgin and low seating (not good for aging backs and butts). And the bedding and towels on Virgin were prison-grade as was the hard mattress. Oceania is really into comfort. Every seat is amply cushioned (even the loungers by the pool!) and the beds and linens are wonderful. The food can be uneven but there's always plenty to choose from so you can find something you'll like.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, basor said:

My favorite story was from a 90 year old British gentleman.  He was a contractor/builder who had stories to tell about working with the Queen.  His personality was full of life. We ate with him several times over the duration of the cruse.  One time we were walking back to the elevators when he decided to put his cane in the door to keep it from closing.  Well, his significant other told him that he was an idiot for doing that. I tried to get his cane out of the doors, almost falling.  When we finally got in the elevator, he loudly said “I’m an idiot,” making those inside wonder why he said that.  Then we all laughed and laughed.  It was one of those you just had to be there moments! 

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vallesan said:

We prefer leisurely so very rarely eat in the Terrace in the evening with lots of people going back and forth to the buffet. You should enjoy the GDR we’ve never had an experience when we’ve felt as though we were ‘waiting’ impatiently to be served! Go with an open mind

We have two to three 'courses' at the TC. An app, return for a main, and perhaps return for a dessert. I don't remember ever sitting close to the buffet itself so it didn't seem particularly busy. But it's good that we all have options.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, clo said:

We have two to three 'courses' at the TC. An app, return for a main, and perhaps return for a dessert. I don't remember ever sitting close to the buffet itself so it didn't seem particularly busy. But it's good that we all have options.

We don’t sit close to the buffet itself but there is a totally different feeling in a restaurant where everyone is seated and only the waiters are moving around. Just a lot less ‘busy’ than the buffet, unless you are sat by a window which is less busy!

It’s just so good to have so many choices on Oceania, so there’s always something to suit everyone’s style of dining.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

That’s odd because. they bring the menus as they seat you in the GDR

That was certainly the case on our recent Vista cruise. The issue we did have, both in the GDR and specialities, on several occasions, was the length of time we'd then wait for our order to be taken. Once the order was in the system, everything was then fine by way of timings - not rushed nor finger tappingly slow. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Virgin and Oceania are polar opposites. Virgin does have very good food in its restaurants (better than Oceania IMO) but we became quickly bored with Virgin's food hall (aka buffet). The total number of offerings at its stations is quite small and for the most part unvarying. The same sandwiches, the same tacos, the same sushi, etc., every day. We did love the ramen, but who doesn't love noodles? Also, lots and lots and lots of hard seating on Virgin and low seating (not good for aging backs and butts). And the bedding and towels on Virgin were prison-grade as was the hard mattress. Oceania is really into comfort. Every seat is amply cushioned (even the loungers by the pool!) and the beds and linens are wonderful. The food can be uneven but there's always plenty to choose from so you can find something you'll like.   

Food is subjective but while I liked VVs specialties, I thought O was better.  But I agree with you about everything else.  Very LOW chairs.  Bedding subpar. Bathrooms very small unless you are in larger veranda. Hammocks are nice on VV though. 

Edited by basenji56
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Harters said:

That was certainly the case on our recent Vista cruise. The issue we did have, both in the GDR and specialities, on several occasions, was the length of time we'd then wait for our order to be taken. Once the order was in the system, everything was then fine by way of timings - not rushed nor finger tappingly slow. 

I was lucky on my Vista TA last month. As a solo, I was able to get out of the GDR and the specialties within 70-80 minutes each time.  I would have been frustrated to have to wait like you did.

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If that happens (and it shouldn't) just tell your waiter slow, this is this evenings entertainment andI like to enjoy a slower service with space between courses.  Thank you with a 😀.

Here’s my view. Except on the international nights in the TC, both the TC and the GDR now offer the same dishes at dinner. If one prefers to eat their meals quickly and leave, the TC offers the best option. If one prefers to be served and have a nice leisurely dinner, the GDR is there for you.

The GDR is not staff to provide diners the quick turnaround meal. Asking the staff to do so means you’re interrupting the flow for the other customers. Rather selfish, imo.

Go to the TC and chomp down at your own pace, or enjoy the meal at a leisurely pace as set by the kitchen and staff in the GDR. What’s so hard about this? Just don’t expect it both ways.

• Like 8

On 5/20/2024 at 3:29 PM, pinotlover said:

Absolutely!

I love Pinot Noir. That doesn’t mean I always want to drink PN. Sometimes I want a CdP, or a Brunello, or a Rioja, or a cab. Additionally, some PN, are excellent, some okay, and some poor. Just because I generally love PN doesn’t mean I feel obligated to pronounce every PN as being excellent in some faux cheerleader mode. 

I’m leading a group to Tuscany in September for two weeks of museums and wineries. Part of our adventure is going to be the various great Tuscan food. It’s not going to be Americanized Tuscan or NoNo Tuscan, but Tuscan with all the local herbs and spices. Then my DW and I are off to Bologna for their food for three days! We won’t feel compelled to eat at a Subway or Burger King the entire trip! Afterwards, we may not eat Tuscan for awhile!

We’re going to Germany for the Christmas Markets in December. Looking forward to some great authentic German, not the stuff pushed off here in the States as German.

Hope you will enjoy our Christmas markets in December - as well as local food. It is getting increasingly difficult to find 'real' German cuisine, as tastes are ever changing  but I sincerely hope you will enjoy yourselves. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Here’s my view. Except on the international nights in the TC, both the TC and the GDR now offer the same dishes at dinner. If one prefers to eat their meals quickly and leave, the TC offers the best option. If one prefers to be served and have a nice leisurely dinner, the GDR is there for you.

The GDR is not staff to provide diners the quick turnaround meal. Asking the staff to do so means you’re interrupting the flow for the other customers. Rather selfish, imo.

Go to the TC and chomp down at your own pace, or enjoy the meal at a leisurely pace as set by the kitchen and staff in the GDR. What’s so hard about this? Just don’t expect it both ways.

Or have a leisurely dinner in the TC also. 

On 5/20/2024 at 5:09 PM, basor said:

Whether you're old or not shouldn't matter.  If you need a walker, cane or just walk slow--people just need to chill out and have a little manners.  Things happen to people, so what if people have to wait a few minutes.  

• Like 8