Land Trips

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Does any one know if there is a web site like cruise critic just for land trips ?

TIA

I’ve followed threads in the TripAdvisor forum for my past Alaska trip and even more for my 2025 Alaska trip since we’re doing land on our own before the cruise, and the Alaska experts give great insights to people on their land itineraries. I haven’t browsed the rest of the forum, but worth a look to see if the area you are interested in has good info!

• Like 3

Search term “road trip”.  There are quite a few without forums but have great user provided blogs like roadtripper and trippy.  RV sites have an abundance of information and not just about campgrounds .

Thanks for the information . .We are headed to Arches & Canyon Lands National Parks . Near Moab Utah in early May 2025 . We also know of a State Park there that over looks the Colorado river rapids .  We have a off road type SUV  4 wheel drive so we can get closer to  the  images .for picture taking .  We already booked our Marriott Hotel  in Moab ;as  the hotels are selling out way in advance now . We will be  in the parks area for 5 days . We do know that the GypsyApp sells compalete directions for cell phines  booth of those National Parks 

We decided to do the above vs another Alaska cruise ;as we have done 5 prior Alaska cruises ,

FWIW in May 2025  Coral Princess has a 7 day  Repositioning cruise from their San Pedro pier in Los Angeles area that is very comprehensive & gets to  Vancouver ,BC  on May 2nd ,2025 .what is  very nice about that cruise is the long day in Vancouver Island & stopping in Astoria  Oredon . both fabulous ports . We  had done these many times,so the reason for our land trip vs the cruises . May 3rd or 4th Koningsdam id doing the inside passage & imo \holland does the best Alsaka cruises with Naturalists aboard  her ships

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

There are a couple of other national parks out there.  https://www.nps.gov/state/ut/index.htm

I have been many times if you have questions.  Early May should be nice weather and lower crowds. 

order your senior annual pass here.  https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Mary yes we have already been to Zion & Bryce National Parks . Capital Reef is a bit iof a task to get to ,so this tie we will skip it . We are focusing on Arches & Canyon Lands as well as Dead horse State park which we understand is spectacular  &  much closer . We have 6 nights in a Marriott hotel booked ,so we should get to these 3   for longer looks . 

We both carry the senior life time National park  cards .23 years ago I bought mine is the museum in Ketchican Alaska . National Park service was running it at that time . My wife got hers at Cabrillo National Monument ,end of Point Loma SD .At the time we got ours they were just $10 each .Now we hear they are $80 each .Still a buy for life time entry 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We both carry the senior life time National park  cards .23 years ago I bought mine is the museum in Ketchican Alaska . National Park service was running it at that time . My wife got hers at Cabrillo National Monument ,end of Point Loma SD .At the time we got ours they were just $10 each .Now we hear they are $80 each .Still a buy for life time entry 

Just to be clear only one person needs to have the senior pass. The pass covers anyone in the car with the pass holder.

• Like 1

Arches and Zion may both require reservations or permits of one sort or another in advance during your visit so check those things before showing up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Just to be clear only one person needs to have the senior pass. The pass covers anyone in the car with the pass holder.

That is true for entering a National Park in a car.  However, there are some sites that are in buildings and are walk in where each person needs the pass.

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

That is true for entering a National Park in a car.  However, there are some sites that are in buildings and are walk in where each person needs the pass.

Really? I have never come across that

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Woofbite said:

Arches and Zion may both require reservations or permits of one sort or another in advance during your visit so check those things before showing up.

Deleted

Edited by kiwimum

9 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The reservation system can be found on the links I posted.  Usually the reservations are only required during peak summer travel. 

For Arches (my backyard!) the timed reservations are from April 1, 2024 to October 31, 2024! and from 7am to 4pm.

On 5/28/2024 at 8:25 AM, Sea42 said:

Really? I have never come across that

Sea42, I'm not sure if you are referring to a walk in NPS site or an NPS site where everyone needs a pass.  If it is the first...we have been to the New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park.  It's fabulous and walking tours are given by NPS rangers.  Cherie 

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Sea42, I'm not sure if you are referring to a walk in NPS site or an NPS site where everyone needs a pass.  If it is the first...we have been to the New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park.  It's fabulous and walking tours are given by NPS rangers.  Cherie 

Thanks for the information. We too have been to some historic sites where you walk in. Those that accept the senior pass did allow me to enter free of charge with my husband. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1