A client wants to book an Explora cruise with me...

...and this is my first rodeo with Explora.

Explora doesn't seem to offer additional trainings for TAs, so I'm just popping on these boards, visiting their websites, and trying to understand all things Explora. While I am learning about it, the pricing is just baffling to me.

For example - the cruise they are looking at...(April 2025, Explora 2) ...the "Unique Escapes" rate (this looks like a short term promo) starts at $5285 per person. The "Early Booking" rate starts at $6695 per person. It goes on to say that the "early booking" rate is a great deal on the "journey" fare.

Huh? Journey fare? Is the unique escape not a journey fare?

I just don't know all of this Explora terminology...can anyone here help?

Thanks!

Rachel

I did contact Explora, and got this message....so it still seems like the Unique Escapes is the way to go for my clients, unless I am understanding it wrong. I probably am the only TA not to have been comped because I've never had a client ask about Explora before :0)

The Unique Escapes is a time-limited offer to enjoy value savings on select journeys and a reduced deposit of 10%. It is only applicable when booking an Ocean Terrace Suite or Ocean Grand Terrace suite. 

Explora Early Booking Benefit is available for all suite categories and journeys and is a saving of 5% when booking by paying in full within 7 days of booking. It is available up to 180 days prior to departure for Ocean Residences and up to 105 days for the rest of the suite categories.

We just booked Explora 1 for April through our TA. We booked an OT1 and used the Unique Escapes price which apparently is a promotion to encourage the booking of OT rooms. It was definitely the cheapest for us by quite a bit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drpclarke said:

Explora doesn't seem to offer additional trainings for TAs, so I'm just popping on these boards, visiting their websites, and trying to understand all things Explora. While I am learning about it, the pricing is just baffling to me.

For example - the cruise they are looking at...(April 2025, Explora 2) ...the "Unique Escapes" rate (this looks like a short term promo) starts at $5285 per person. The "Early Booking" rate starts at $6695 per person. It goes on to say that the "early booking" rate is a great deal on the "journey" fare.

Thanks!

Rachel

read my review in "reviews"  failure of luxury !

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, drpclarke said:

I did contact Explora, and got this message....so it still seems like the Unique Escapes is the way to go for my clients, unless I am understanding it wrong. I probably am the only TA not to have been comped because I've never had a client ask about Explora before :0)

The Unique Escapes is a time-limited offer to enjoy value savings on select journeys and a reduced deposit of 10%. It is only applicable when booking an Ocean Terrace Suite or Ocean Grand Terrace suite. 

Explora Early Booking Benefit is available for all suite categories and journeys and is a saving of 5% when booking by paying in full within 7 days of booking. It is available up to 180 days prior to departure for Ocean Residences and up to 105 days for the rest of the suite categories.

The things you have figured out about Unique Escapes and Early Bookings are right on the website. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Rachel, understand your confusion. EX website, very good in some places, very bad in others.  
EX pricing originally only displayed 2 fares ( and still does).

1. The regular and quite expensive „Cruise Only“ fare with a 20 or 25% deposit, due within 6 days of booking. 
2. An „Early Booking“ fare, which included a certain discount, usually 10%.  No deposit, but instead full payment within 6 days. 

About a year ago, they started to introduce other offers as well. Pricing on website always displayed only 2 fares to chose from. Maybe due to a limitation on the user interface or booking engine. Not sure. So you could usually chose between the original fare with deposit and the offer. 

Recently this has somewhat changed. The original fare with deposit disappeared, as it makes no sense over the offer, instead the Early Booking fare re-appeared, along with the special offer, and with that displaying the two cheapest fares to chose from. 

Given the fact, that the Early Booking fare requires full payment and does not come with any extras, other than the slight discount, it becomes clear, that the best offer right now would be the Unique Escapes. Only a slight downpayment necessary. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by mike@sea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We just booked Explora 1 for April through our TA. We booked an OT1 and used the Unique Escapes price which apparently is a promotion to encourage the booking of OT rooms. It was definitely the cheapest for us by quite a bit.

Thank you! I appreciate your help!

Rachel

5 hours ago, mike@sea said:

Hi Rachel, understand your confusion. EX website, very good in some places, very bad in others.  
EX pricing originally only displayed 2 fares ( and still does).

1. The regular and quite expensive „Cruise Only“ fare with a 20 or 25% deposit, due within 6 days of booking. 
2. An „Early Booking“ fare, which included a certain discount, usually 10%.  No deposit, but instead full payment within 6 days. 

About a year ago, they started to introduce other offers as well. Pricing on website always displayed only 2 fares to chose from. Maybe due to a limitation on the user interface or booking engine. Not sure. So you could usually chose between the original fare with deposit and the offer. 

Recently this has somewhat changed. The original fare with deposit disappeared, as it makes no sense over the offer, instead the Early Booking fare re-appeared, along with the special offer, and with that displaying the two cheapest fares to chose from. 

Given the fact, that the Early Booking fare requires full payment and does not come with any extras, other than the slight discount, it becomes clear, that the best offer right now would be the Unique Escapes. Only a slight downpayment necessary. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you so much. With there being such a price difference, I thought there was something I was overlooking. I appreciate it!

11 hours ago, KJB416 said:

I agree, what’s there to figure out here? 

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. As you know, sometimes a rate is higher but includes so much more that it is worth it to book. I couldn't figure out what that would be in this situation based on what I was reading, and I want to do the best for my client. Thanks!

12 hours ago, saminina said:

You need help......and this is not the place to find it.

I've found these boards to be helpful in answering all of my questions about cruises, whether it be for myself or my clients. People are always willing to help and offer recommendations, which I have found valuable. No reason to be rude to me; you don't even know me. My question was legitimate as I'm just learning about Explora and wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking anything obvious. Thanks!

• Like 3

They are also running a new promotion for Penthouse Suites, at least in Germany, but probably also in other markets. In case your clients want a bigger stateroom. 

It is called „Penthouse Dream“ and comes with an automatic „upgrade“ to the next higher PH suite plus still only 10% deposit. Available till Jul 31

It is a little weird how they do/ display it during the booking process on their website though, as the displayed price per PH category already includes the upgrade. 
So do not expect to end up in a Premium PH , when booking a Deluxe PH. You book the PH category you want, and the price for that has already been reduced to the original price of the lower type PH category. 

1 hour ago, mike@sea said:

They are also running a new promotion for Penthouse Suites, at least in Germany, but probably also in other markets. In case your clients want a bigger stateroom. 

It is called „Penthouse Dream“ and comes with an automatic „upgrade“ to the next higher PH suite plus still only 10% deposit. Available till Jul 31

It is a little weird how they do/ display it during the booking process on their website though, as the displayed price per PH category already includes the upgrade. 
So do not expect to end up in a Premium PH , when booking a Deluxe PH. You book the PH category you want, and the price for that has already been reduced to the original price of the lower type PH category. 

What is the difference?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 6:59 PM, drpclarke said:

Thanks!

Rachel

@drpclarke Hello.  First I read your first post.  I then read everyone else's comments. I would like to complement you for taking the time to educate yourself even though you knew you would get some heat for being a travel agent.  That takes guts.  

On to you questions.  I drill down deep as a client and guest before I book a new brand.  The level I drill down is much more then most yet less then some. For me it is kind of sport to know as much as I can know.  This and other brand boards are GREAT.  Still, take everything with a grain of salt as you should take me.  I just booked a OT-2, for a 7 day Caribbean itinerary, comparing Oceania, Crystal and Explora Journey.  I have cruised Oceania Cruise and loved it, I have also cruised Crystal Cruises before they were purchased.  I enjoy it very much but at the time there were some issues that have seemed to be resolved.  

I was also confused by the two different prices given.  That was my first education.  You got great advice here, the "Unique Escapes" is the way to go if you are booking any of the OT's.  My next quest for knowledge was what was the difference between OT.  Obviously like all cruise brands it was locations, except for the most expensive OT which had a larger deck.  While I was on the phone with the Explora consultant, he brought to my attention the other promotion which also was mentions above called Penthouse Dreams.  It seems if you want a upgrade to a Penthouse, book the most expensive OT (larger deck mentioned above) NOT on the special "Unique Escapes" sale, on the "Early Booking or Normal Fare" and get the upgrade. 

This lead me to drill down on the differences between categories. OT, Penthouse and the upper suites. Seems simple and it was.  So simply I was surprise.  Basically, it is simply the size of the stateroom and which residences, they come with butlers.  My bottom line was, unlike other brands, the amenities and benefits were so very close from the least to most expensive stateroom.  I at first did not believe it but every thing I learned seemed to lead to the same place.  I usually get a bigger suite with a butler but the investment different simply for me (not everyone) was not there. I also wanted to separate beds because I was going with my older sister and we were sharing a cabin.  I learned, OT-1 did not have cabins where the beds separated, OT-2 & OT-3 did.  So I took an OT-2.  That cabin had a bath tub shower and had a door for a connecting cabin.  A very wise contributor said, look closing at the deck plans and most every question about what each cabin has is answer.  GREAT ADVICE.

I know this is a long post but I think I am answering your questions.  Here are other things I liked:

No Main Dining Room and all Specialty Restaurants are included except for a special 7 course meal at 190 euro's with another 75 euro's for the wine pairing.  Mix reviews on this special extra cost meal. Those that liked it LOVED it, those that did not like it HATED it.  Like for example Oceania the specialty restaurants that took reservations the first one was guaranteed and the next ones were space available. Nice to know information for strategy. I also learned the buffet is not a buffet.  You can see the food, much of which is made fresh for you and the chef plates if for you behind glass.  I loved this concept. 

Everyone has the same Internet and drink program. Neither has an upgrade option except to purchase a high dollar Wine or Spirit.  Also, unlike Oceania that you have to show your card to get a drink because of all the different drink plans, no card needed on Explora. Some complaints on quality of wines but i here that on every board.  I drink straight vodka on ice so it did not effect me. Each stateroom has a bottle of champagne but the brand lowered the standard for the OT's but it is still champagne.  I am used to horrible sparkling wine from other ships and give to a honeymoon couple who love getting that extra bottle. 

I am going to give you an Excel Comparison of Explora, Crystal and Oceania below.  Look to the bottom of the Excel for where I listed the different amenities and benefits.  That should help.  I hope this was helpful.  Never stop asking question.  Hope this helped.

I loved the crew to guest ratio of 1.25/1.  Yet the more you read, the more you can see this brand is finding their sea legs a bit.  My cruise is February of 2025 so my hope is they have their total act together by then.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

PS: I will post the comparison later.  I have to make a correction

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

This lead me to drill down on the differences between categories. OT, Penthouse and the upper suites. Seems simple and it was.  So simply I was surprise. 

One other thing we’ve found with our 2 voyages on Explora is if you need to change post-booking to a different cabin (within the same category) it was very easy.  First booking we had an OT-1 right above Crema Cafe outdoor are (where smoking is allowed); easy to swap to another cabin on opposite side.  The pricing is always inclusive of taxes, which I also like the simplicity of. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, English Tim said:

What is the difference?

What do you mean Tim ? The difference in the different categories and suites ? That is well explained on their website along with pictures and layout. Difference between PH and PP for instance is very much visible, with PH being one larger room and PP being basically 2 rooms and so much more space. 

• Like 2

Regarding the PH Promotion and what Gary kindly explained along with all the other information he researched, thanks for sharing by the way. 

I do not believe it is correct what you are saying Gary in regards to PH Dreams. How I understood it, and that would also explain the display when you go through the booking process is  :

The description of the offer does state, that the upgrade is already included in the price. You do not receive an upgrade to a PH, when booking a GT cabin, the category below PH. 
The offer does not say or mean „one category upgrade“. 
Hence, the offer is not upgrading one from OT/GT to PH. 

Instead the offer is only valid within the PH category. This also explains, why you can only see a Penthouse Dream fare displayed, when you look at the PH fares, but not when looking at OT fares. Within OT you find the Unique escapes offer and within PH you can find the Penthouse Dream offer. 

If you book the lowest PH, using the PH Dream fare, then that is what you get, you will not be upgraded to the DP, but you have received a fare, lower than the original one, almost equal to one of the lower category fares (=GT)

Thats what they mean by saying the upgrade is „already included“ in the fare shown when booking the offer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, johng75370 said:

One other thing we’ve found with our 2 voyages on Explora is if you need to change post-booking to a different cabin (within the same category) it was very easy.  First booking we had an OT-1 right above Crema Cafe outdoor are (where smoking is allowed); easy to swap to another cabin on opposite side.  The pricing is always inclusive of taxes, which I also like the simplicity of. 

Thanks for the heads-up. We had 6020 booked which, thanks to you, we now know is directly above Cafe Crema. We’ve now changed that for 6044 which is quite a lot further back. We want to stay on that side of the ship as we’re doing a transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona, so want to be south facing rather than north facing.

Our TA had no problem changing cabins for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks for the heads-up. We had 6020 booked which, thanks to you, we now know is directly above Cafe Crema. We’ve now changed that for 6044 which is quite a lot further back. We want to stay on that side of the ship as we’re doing a transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona, so want to be south facing rather than north facing.

Our TA had no problem changing cabins for us.

We were in 6040 with no issues 

Cruise well have fun 

• Like 1

THIS is what I needed! Thank you so much. I always go through the learning modules before I book a cruise, and I didn't see any with Explora...so your input is so valuable and appreciated! Thank you!

Rachel

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@drpclarkeThat is because Explora Journeys is lacking in many areas in support for both TA and clients with the worst IT system in the industry.

If you book clients be aware of many issue you will have to help your clients with

1) Missing details on their bookings, including incorrect DOB and name details.  Including accessing their booking

2) Trouble booking excursions

3) Trouble booking specialty dining

4) Trouble checking in and/or using the Phone APP

Yes your clients will can call Explora directly to solve some of these issue, but many will lean on you.

Edited by PaulMCO