Cost of IV hydration

44 minutes ago, MJB1437 said:

Sorry, it was a few years ago, so I don't remember the cost.  I just know I was thankful they could help.

No problem, thanks for your post

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Plus if they know that saline IV might be needed

The problem is they DON'T know what will be needed.  NO medical team is going to assume all that is needed is a normal saline IV and just hook a patient up and run it in.  They will require blood work to find out if it is an electrolyte issue, salts, minerals, glucose etc.  It could be a "banana bag" (the yellow mixture of electrolytes and glucose) is needed and they may not carry that on board.  There are a myriad of IV solutions in various sizes and there is no way for a small infirmary on a cruise ship to stock all of them or pre-stock for a potential need of one passenger.  Even if the current treating physician sent a medical note stating that the patient might need [IV solution 1000cc bag at XXml/hour] they are not going to undertake that treatment regimen at sea.  The patient would be disembarked to a local treating facility.  

8 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Do you recall about how much it was?

My educated guess is that after the clinic fee which is probably $150 or more, some routine lab work that will run a few hundred, and the IV would be another few hundred dollars you are probably looking at anywhere from $750 to $1500.  The actual price is impossible to know as the circumstances at the time care is requested will dictate how far this goes.  

I know this isn't what your friend wants to hear but as long as they are under going treatment that leaves them depleted requiring IV therapy support now is not the best time to be cruising.  Focus on their health being stable and then cruise.  They will enjoy it more not worrying about having to go to medical and how much it will cost or if they will be put off the ship and have even greater expense getting home under a medical emergency status.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

The problem is they DON'T know what will be needed.  NO medical team is going to assume all that is needed is a normal saline IV and just hook a patient up and run it in.  They will require blood work to find out if it is an electrolyte issue, salts, minerals, glucose etc.  It could be a "banana bag" (the yellow mixture of electrolytes and glucose) is needed and they may not carry that on board.  There are a myriad of IV solutions in various sizes and there is no way for a small infirmary on a cruise ship to stock all of them or pre-stock for a potential need of one passenger.  Even if the current treating physician sent a medical note stating that the patient might need [IV solution 1000cc bag at XXml/hour] they are not going to undertake that treatment regimen at sea.  The patient would be disembarked to a local treating facility.  

My educated guess is that after the clinic fee which is probably $150 or more, some routine lab work that will run a few hundred, and the IV would be another few hundred dollars you are probably looking at anywhere from $750 to $1500.  The actual price is impossible to know as the circumstances at the time care is requested will dictate how far this goes.  

I know this isn't what your friend wants to hear but as long as they are under going treatment that leaves them depleted requiring IV therapy support now is not the best time to be cruising.  Focus on their health being stable and then cruise.  They will enjoy it more not worrying about having to go to medical and how much it will cost or if they will be put off the ship and have even greater expense getting home under a medical emergency status.

Thank you for your response and insight. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IV Hydration is listed under Spa Services on your booking on the website.  I believe that the cost was $199.

Edited by Zigster
  • Thanks 1

The original post was pretty limited info…there are lots of “treatments” that could be very much non life threatening by which just hydration from an iv might be okay,  ig now seems “treatment” is for a significant, life threatening condition which changes my position entirely (prob not a spa hydration scenario.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I hope that everything works out for her and you too.  Sending out lots of positive energy for an easy rather than complicated result!

Very sweet of you thank you. She is trying to enjoy her life and does not have the luxury off putting things off until she feels better, because that might not happen. All the posts here are very helpful 

On 6/3/2024 at 4:28 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

BUT Special Needs can talk with the medical people and see if it's even possible to be done. Plus if they know that saline IV might be needed they (medical) could try to procure some more for that cruise so they're covered for the passenger knowing they'll need it as well as any emergencies (such as dehydration due to illness which can't be planned for).

Absolutely not. If I'm the attending physician I do not take medical guidance from customer service who has set the expectation I treat someone. The patient person boards the ship, needs treatment, doctor declines, a terrible outcome occurs and now who is on the line? Any medical center has the ability to do a simple lactated ringers drip. That is simple. But customer service doesn't decide that. 

• Like 1

This may be a little "out there" but have you considered doing it in port? I became dehydrated on our Mediterranean cruise last year, passed out in Santorini and was taken to the emergency room. Blood test, EKG, saline IV and electrolyte IV only cost about $400. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2024 at 6:49 AM, dleahy4444 said:

Very sweet of you thank you. She is trying to enjoy her life and does not have the luxury off putting things off until she feels better, because that might not happen. All the posts here are very helpful 

I know this has been a few months since you posted but how did this turn out for your friend? I have a friend in a similar situation, she does not have the luxury to wait until she “feels better.” 
I just talk to Celebrity’s Assesibility rep who advised her to send an email detailing her medical condition and medical needs and the medical team would make a determination based on this. She did say that IV fluid treatments would probably not be a problem, but it depends on her health issues. Again, the medical team would need to make the determination.

For what it’s worth, my mom was having chemo and was determined to go on her cruise…I do believe this is what she was living for. She passed away 60 days after her cruise but so thankful we made it happen for her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Born2go said:

I know this has been a few months since you posted but how did this turn out for your friend? I have a friend in a similar situation, she does not have the luxury to wait until she “feels better.” 
I just talk to Celebrity’s Assesibility rep who advised her to send an email detailing her medical condition and medical needs and the medical team would make a determination based on this. She did say that IV fluid treatments would probably not be a problem, but it depends on her health issues. Again, the medical team would need to make the determination.

For what it’s worth, my mom was having chemo and was determined to go on her cruise…I do believe this is what she was living for. She passed away 60 days after her cruise but so thankful we made it happen for her.

We did go on the cruise, and while she wasn’t feeling well most days, she  managed to avoid having to go to medical for hydration. It was a difficult cruise because it rained a lot and the scooter she was using broke down. She wasn’t well enough to do much but she enjoyed trivia and our dinners together. Since she is very limited in what she can do, cruising was a good way for her to as much or a little as she could handle. Best wishes 

• Like 1

glad it worked out. with the limitations  noted.

just curious if SPA hydration qpuld be the same as  a medical service

our friend's son has this done at lical hosp..outpatient center.. seems to take a few hours when he goes???

6 hours ago, hcat said:

glad it worked out. with the limitations  noted.

just curious if SPA hydration qpuld be the same as  a medical service

our friend's son has this done at lical hosp..outpatient center.. seems to take a few hours when he goes???

Not just no but he** no. 

"Are you here for a shampoo and style or an IV?" 😲

I visited medical onboard Apex last month.  The cost for consultation was $260 and any treatment after that was additional.  Simple 7 day antibiotic was over $100.  My medical insurance has denied the RX as they don't cover anything dispensed outside the US.  The medical is still being processed but I suspect it will be paid as they sent a request for proof of payment and I sent the copy of the folio being paid in full.

I’m not sure how much it cost now, but my husband caught something on one of our Alaska cruises, and required a port put in and daily IV with antibiotics. We had cruise insurance, but we had to pay for it and file afterwards with our insurance and the cruise insurance to be reimbursed. It really wasn’t that expensive though compared to ER pricing, even our family physician was impressed on the care and pricing. The doctors on the ship are not Celebrity employees, they are contracted doctors. I would call Celebrity and see if you can get an approximate price. 

I’m glad you were able to go on the cruise and had no medical emergencies. We were on the Beyond in March and every time I went to the gym or spa, there were people selling hydration. One month prior to the cruise, I had completed six months of chemo infusions and radiation treatments for pancreatic cancer. It upset me that during my recovery vacation, I had to face part of my medical treatment over and over again.

On a cruise a couple of years back, my wife got severe dehydration on Day 1 just after setting sail. She was taken to medical center and given IV. We had to pay $900 on credit card. We called our travel insurance company and were reimbursed the entire bill, with no deductible. It was a basic policy at that, medical only, and I think that only cost $70 for both of us. Whoever your travel insurance company is, probably best to check with them. Hope all goes well!