Requested dinner reservations

Lojay2

Not sure if previous message posted so if it did, I apologize for the duplication 

This is our first time on Oceania, we are in concierge class.  Our final payment is due this week and travel agent also requested our preferred dinning times for each night of the cruise as well as which nights for specialty restaurants.  She said she will make them all. 

I have read on this board that some people make them at 12:01 the day they open up. 

Should I leave it up to the TA or should I be one of those that stays up all night making reservations??? How hard is it to change on board? 

I know there are only 1250 people on board but how small are the restaurants that I have to worry about getting the requested times especially when I am in concierge level

I really need help and advice..... PLEASE 

• Like 1

@Lojay2

As you are in Florida,you can wait up until after midnight or just get up early the booking day and go on line to make your reservations. I had a great solution some cruises ago, I was in Hawaii then and I was able to go on line at 6:00 p.m. the day prior. Being in California, we are able to get on line by 9:00. 
There are tables for over 100 in the Specialties so lots of seating. Yes you can change on board and you can always try to check in early at a restaurant to see about availability because they are as accommodating as possible. Only those in Suites who can book 75 days out and will be reserving tables ahead of you. Two’s might be tougher than Shared tables, seating for 8 is limited and in large groups, the service can be slower so prepare for a 2+ hour dinner experience.
Your TA can not help you with seating times in the GDR, Terrace Cafe, Waves, etc. so maybe they are unaware that O operates differently than other lines. As I recall one night after the Captain’s Reception, the GDR got swamped about 6:30 and by the time we got to the podium, the Maitre d asked us if we would like to go to a Specialty restaurant and sent us on our way.🤪🤪🤪🤪👍

You will ENJOY,

Mauibabes

Sounds like your TA is making you a routine offering she makes for all cruise bookings, perhaps not understanding how O dining operates. If you want a decent chance for tables for 2 non sharing that are not too late only you can make them at 12:01 a.m.on line on date bookings open for you. By the time ether you or your TA make a call during business hours most good slots will be gone unless you are willing to share. Also a request for your preferred dining times in Terrace or Grand Dining Room is not relevant as these venues operate with strictly open seating.

From recent experience on our upcoming Riviera Cruise (June 17)  We are in a standard balcony room (not concierge).

Had friends on the same cruise who are concierge book when their reservation window came open (sooner than ours) We were included/invited as "guests" under their reservations and they made them at 12:01 AM eastern standard time.  Managed to book everything with no problems

I did not go on until 8 am EST the day our window opened (as opposed to 12:01 AM) to make our last booking as we wanted a table for 2 at Jacques. At 8 am nothing was available for just 2.  I looked at doing a "shared table" and was unable to even book that.  I am not to worried as I will try to get something at Jacques while on the ship (walk by entrance when open and ask). 

If we don't get anything we definitely won't starve with the options of the grand dining room, Terrace Cafe (buffet) and Waves (dinner pizza !).  All of these are no reservation dining options. Don't forget Room Service is also available 

I would try and book it myself if you can stay up (or set an alarm), that is if it is that important to you.

8 minutes ago, thebsinmiss said:

From recent experience on our upcoming Riviera Cruise (June 17)  We are in a standard balcony room (not concierge).

Had friends on the same cruise who are concierge book when their reservation window came open (sooner than ours) We were included/invited as "guests" under their reservations and they made them at 12:01 AM eastern standard time.  Managed to book everything with no problems

I did not go on until 8 am EST the day our window opened (as opposed to 12:01 AM) to make our last booking as we wanted a table for 2 at Jacques. At 8 am nothing was available for just 2.  I looked at doing a "shared table" and was unable to even book that.  I am not to worried as I will try to get something at Jacques while on the ship (walk by entrance when open and ask). 

If we don't get anything we definitely won't starve with the options of the grand dining room, Terrace Cafe (buffet) and Waves (dinner pizza !).  All of these are no reservation dining options. Don't forget Room Service is also available 

I would try and book it myself if you can stay up (or set an alarm), that is if it is that important to you.

You have one guaranteed sitting in each of the Specialty restaurants. If you don’t choose a reservation before boarding go to the dining reservation desk and they will get you one. If you ask nicely maybe even a two top.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I would not have my TA make reservations in the Specialty Restaurants on my behalf.  This is not because he's incompetent but because there are many variations and I typically have to make decisions on the fly when I'm making the reservations.  Sometimes the night/time that I want for a particular restaurant is not available but the day/time is available for a different specialty.  Or maybe the date/time is available but only if we're willing to share.  To me, it seems more cumbersome to have to spell it all out for my TA to understand than it is to just do it myself.  Of course, you may be someone who is relaxed about such things and not particular with how things wind up.  Depending upon the length of your cruise, you may find that options fill up fast.   If your cruise is short, for instance,  everyone must fit their allotment into fewer days.  It's less of an issue on longer cruises.  I see that you are in Florida, so as others have said, reservations open up at midnight on the designated date, so, to DIY, you have to stay up until midnight to get first dibs.  That would be true for the TA making your reservations as well.  Will your TA stay up that late to do this for you, or take what they can get during regular business hours?

13 hours ago, thebsinmiss said:

I agree with pinotlover but go to the restaurant reservations desk when you board. Jaques is the busiest of all the restaurants and its very difficult to get a second reservation there. You will get one though as they always keep some tables free

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Vallesan said:

I agree with pinotlover but go to the restaurant reservations desk when you board. Jaques is the busiest of all the restaurants and its very difficult to get a second reservation there. You will get one though as they always keep some tables free

We got a second res at Jacques sharing with a very nice couple. And IIRC we ordered and ate at our own pace if that makes sense. Just sharing the table. And chatting 🙂

• Like 1

Your travel agent doesn’t know how Oceania dining reservation works.

For some of the dining venues, you cannot make reservations.  Just come when you want.  Usually you get seated without a wait.  That includes Grand Dining Room, Terrace buffet, Waves, and Aquamar Kitchen.  For specialty restaurants, you need a reservation.  Depending upon your booked cabin category, reservations open up for booking at midnight Easter time zone. For example, if you are in concierge, you can reserve online 60 days before embarkation.  Regular veranda 45 days. Suites get an earlier date and are allowed multiple reservations in advance.  Concierge and below, get one reservation in each specialty restaurant on most ships. On the smaller ships concierge is allowed 2 reservations in each specialty restaurant.  Good luck.  It can be tough working through the process.

On 6/3/2024 at 3:20 AM, Vallesan said:

Since Jacques is out least favorite, we traded with new friends who didn't want their Toscana reservations, which we like. Win-win

• Like 4