Inside cabin on Koningsdam

Starting to see some good prices for locals on Alaska for this year. I’d like to try Koningsdam. Are there any insides to absolutely avoid?  There seems to be a lot on deck 4 aft available.  I’m not usually an inside type, but this is going to be a last minute cruise.  

I AM an inside type, but on the Pinnacle class ships I won't book one. They are all too small, even for this solo cruiser. 
On a Pinnacle I am willing to pay for a veranda cabin just for a little space. 

• Like 3

I was in 4021 on K'dam to HI for Christmas New Years - it's a "sideways" cabin that actually was not tiny. Bed was to one side of the door; desk, bathroom & closets were to the other side. It did not have a sofa, but I was rarely in the cabin & didn't miss it.

The shape was much better than the small square cabins.

20240604_210138.thumb.jpg.627cb74aebcabe4401928945ce69a846.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I AM an inside type, but on the Pinnacle class ships I won't book one. They are all too small, even for this solo cruiser. 
On a Pinnacle I am willing to pay for a veranda cabin just for a little space. 

If it’s a veranda, we’re not going. We already have 9 days in wine country, two weeks in Hawaii and a Spain Portugal cruise booked the last six months of this year. Now I wouldn’t turn them down if they offered an upgrade to a balcony but for this trip, it’s inside or not going.  

I've stayed in both style of inside cabins on the Koningsdam. 

First one I did was a regular one (8 Aft), it was roomy enough for two. 

Second one was a sideways inside cabin (5 forward) and that I really liked that. I much preferred the layout and it certainly seemed like there was more room. 

If I had a choice between the two on Koningsdam, I'd definitely go for a sideways. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, [Big Z] said:

I've stayed in both style of inside cabins on the Koningsdam. 

First one I did was a regular one (8 Aft), it was roomy enough for two. 

Second one was a sideways inside cabin (5 forward) and that I really liked that. I much preferred the layout and it certainly seemed like there was more room. 

If I had a choice between the two on Koningsdam, I'd definitely go for a sideways. 

Thank you. There were a couple of those available.  

We had family who stayed in a sideways one that was forward on deck 5. They said it was quiet and a decent size for the two of them. They always book inside rooms and liked this one too. 

• Like 1

I have a J inside on 7 for 24 nights next January.  Is that a poor choice? I'll be solo, so don't really need a lot of room.

I had 6112 and 6127 on Rotterdam.  6112 was better because of the TV placement, but still not good at all.  Being on the little connecting hallway was nice.  Close to the stairs and little foot traffic, but small cabin and poor layout.

I miss my Large Inside cabins on Pinnacle class.  And now, turns out I can't book my J cabin on Main because they all hold 3 or 4 pax and I couldn't book one for Oosterdam or Westerdam.  I'm not happy.  I took cat K, all the way aft.  Westerdam will be a transpacific.  Hope there won't be a lot of motion back there.  I know there can be vibrations.  I think I may change.

Don't mean to hijack this, since it's about K'dam, but any recommendation for an inside.  Doesn't have to be the largest on the ship, but location (lower/midship) would be preferable.

And whether I should consider moving from the J midship on 7 on K'dam (7 nights Baja Mexico plus 17 nights to Hawaii).

37 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I have a J inside on 7 for 24 nights next January.  Is that a poor choice? I'll be solo, so don't really need a lot of room.

I had 6112 and 6127 on Rotterdam.  6112 was better because of the TV placement, but still not good at all.  Being on the little connecting hallway was nice.  Close to the stairs and little foot traffic, but small cabin and poor layout.

I miss my Large Inside cabins on Pinnacle class.  And now, turns out I can't book my J cabin on Main because they all hold 3 or 4 pax and I couldn't book one for Oosterdam or Westerdam.  I'm not happy.  I took cat K, all the way aft.  Westerdam will be a transpacific.  Hope there won't be a lot of motion back there.  I know there can be vibrations.  I think I may change.

Don't mean to hijack this, since it's about K'dam, but any recommendation for an inside.  Doesn't have to be the largest on the ship, but location (lower/midship) would be preferable.

And whether I should consider moving from the J midship on 7 on K'dam (7 nights Baja Mexico plus 17 nights to Hawaii).

Is it a 24 day cruise or a B2B?  If it is a 24 day cruise I wouldn’t be concerned about the 3/4 cabin bump.  If you are solo the Pinnacle ships do have super efficient cabin designs and with only one I would think you would be comfortable.  I like high and deck 7 has cabins above, below and on the sides which is great for quiet. I think you will be fine in there.  If you are nervous about the bump for a larger cabin, take the J and wait for the upsell emails

We won’t book any inside on a Pinnacle class ship.  It was very small and only had one stool to sit on.  A lot different from the older ships like Zaandam that have a regular chair and a small sofa.

• Like 2

@NukeTim Since I sail solo and enjoy sailing 3-4 times a year, I typically book interior cabins.  Have to keep costs down.  It's much more important to me to sail more often than to be in a larger cabin.  I actually loved the tiny single inside cabin I just had on Virgin's Resilient Lady.  I was in a regular interior on Scarlet Lady for the TA.  I think I may have preferred the little cabin, just because of the layout.

@Mary229I'm not worried about being bumped on Rotterdam.  I'm worried about being bumped on N Am in a J on Main (that holds 4).  We'll see.  I've never, ever gotten an upsell email from HAL.

@Suzanne123I'll see if any of the Is on Main are available for next January.  I hadn't noticed those.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, NCTribeFan said:

@NukeTim Since I sail solo and enjoy sailing 3-4 times a year, I typically book interior cabins.  Have to keep costs down.  It's much more important to me to sail more often than to be in a larger cabin.  I actually loved the tiny single inside cabin I just had on Virgin's Resilient Lady.  I was in a regular interior on Scarlet Lady for the TA.  I think I may have preferred the little cabin, just because of the layout.

@Mary229I'm not worried about being bumped on Rotterdam.  I'm worried about being bumped on N Am in a J on Main (that holds 4).  We'll see.  I've never, ever gotten an upsell email from HAL.

@Suzanne123I'll see if any of the Is on Main are available for next January.  I hadn't noticed those.  Thanks.

You can call😁. I do if I wasn’t all that thrilled with my own cabin selection.  I have one right now that when I booked we were a threesome so I grabbed a family cabin. Now we are only two so I am watching carefully 

I'm going to see what happens on N Am.  I did get that surprise "upgrade" on Eurodam in January and I wasn't happy.

I just checked my 24 nights on K'dam, and checked both the 7-night leg and the 17-night leg, but none show any of the square Cat I cabins on Main available.  I'll definitely try to remember those cabins going forward because i definitely want to sail Rotterdam again.  Haven't sailed N Statendam and would like to try her, too.

Must keep working and keep cruising while I'm still able!  Thanks all.

• Like 1

@NCTribeFan Just got off the Nieuw Statendam last week. I was in 4123 and my daughter was in 4114, both sideways interior “I” cabins on deck 4. We both found them to be very comfortable for one person, with tons of closet space. Great location, just aft of the midship elevators. Consider for your future NS cruise 😊

Also remember if you do get an upsell offer, as a solo traveller you will pay double the upgrade offer. I have never found that to be worth it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

@NCTribeFan Just got off the Nieuw Statendam last week. I was in 4123 and my daughter was in 4114, both sideways interior “I” cabins on deck 4. We both found them to be very comfortable for one person, with tons of closet space. Great location, just aft of the midship elevators. Consider for your future NS cruise 😊

Also remember if you do get an upsell offer, as a solo traveller you will pay double the upgrade offer. I have never found that to be worth it. 

That's what I had on K'dam - the sideways interior - layout was great, space was roomy enough to get around, no awkward TV angle - it was at the end of the bed. Only downside was no sofa (not an issue for me).

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 7:07 PM, Cruise Junky said:

If it’s a veranda, we’re not going. We already have 9 days in wine country, two weeks in Hawaii and a Spain Portugal cruise booked the last six months of this year. Now I wouldn’t turn them down if they offered an upgrade to a balcony but for this trip, it’s inside or not going.  

Have you looked at N.Amsterdam B2B? Not sure if you can do 2 weeks, but we just booked B2B for the last week of August. Our first time in an inside cabin in 20 years! That’s ok though, we’ve been to Alaska (like you probably) multiple times and have already done too much travelling this year, so we just want to be on the ship!

Zaandam also has some availability (not much). We actually would have preferred her but price was higher and we wanted 14 days. 
I don’t know if you’ve been on Koningsdam, but I would not choose a Pinnacle class if other options were available. Of course many would disagree, lol.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Have you looked at N.Amsterdam B2B? Not sure if you can do 2 weeks, but we just booked B2B for the last week of August. Our first time in an inside cabin in 20 years! That’s ok though, we’ve been to Alaska (like you probably) multiple times and have already done too much travelling this year, so we just want to be on the ship!

Zaandam also has some availability (not much). We actually would have preferred her but price was higher and we wanted 14 days. 
I don’t know if you’ve been on Koningsdam, but I would not choose a Pinnacle class if other options were available. Of course many would disagree, lol.

We actually really want to try a Pinnacle a class ship. We have friends that rave about her. Can’t do two weeks.  I work 9 day-fortnights so either the first week of August or the first week of September were ideal as I only have to take 3 days off for a 7 day cruise because of the holidays those weeks and my work schedule.  

I did end up booking a sideways inside for the Aug 31st sailing.  Fingers crossed for an upsell. 

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

We actually really want to try a Pinnacle a class ship. We have friends that rave about her. Can’t do two weeks.  I work 9 day-fortnights so either the first week of August or the first week of September were ideal as I only have to take 3 days off for a 7 day cruise because of the holidays those weeks and my work schedule.  

I did end up booking a sideways inside for the Aug 31st sailing.  Fingers crossed for an upsell. 

I understand. We are newly retired so more time available for sure. 
The Koningsdam has a lot of pros, so I’m sure you’ll like her. We especially liked the buffet options, NY pizza and deli (for breakfast, not the Pizza oddly) and Grand Dutch Cafe. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

We actually really want to try a Pinnacle a class ship. We have friends that rave about her. 

We loved the Pinnacle Class.  However when we booked our first N Statendam with an inside cabin we were shocked at how small it was.

Some people refer to the square ones somewhere (I've forgotten).

The ship was fantastic and we booked 8 more weeks for the winter of 22.

We did not book another inside!

27 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

We loved the Pinnacle Class.  However when we booked our first N Statendam with an inside cabin we were shocked at how small it was.

Some people refer to the square ones somewhere (I've forgotten).

The ship was fantastic and we booked 8 more weeks for the winter of 22.

We did not book another inside!

Yes, my husband might get a shock with the inside. I’ve told him he needs to get used to it when I retire 😂😂. I’ll buy him a drink package, he’ll live 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Yes, my husband might get a shock with the inside. I’ve told him he needs to get used to it when I retire 😂😂. I’ll buy him a drink package, he’ll live 

We've stayed in insides, and yes, they are tiny.  The drink package helps but it drives the pricing way up. We've taken really nice balcony cabins without the drink package and survived just fine. Sometimes self restraint has it's benefits lol.

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about those Cat I cabins on Deck 4.  I typically look for cabins on decks between other cabin-only decks, but it looks like those are above Guest Services & Dutch Cafe, so shouldn't be particularly noisy.

I'll keep those in mind.  I should probably start a spreadsheet to keep track of the "best" interior cabins on various classes.

Thanks all.

7 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I hadn't thought about those Cat I cabins on Deck 4.  I typically look for cabins on decks between other cabin-only decks, but it looks like those are above Guest Services & Dutch Cafe, so shouldn't be particularly noisy.

We were in 4100 -- above Future-cruise/Front-desk. No noise at all and SO convenient to the GDC!

• Like 1