Infinite Veranda question

Bxc53

There are youtube videos showing the a/c working with the window down & the bifold doors closed.  But I many threads indicate people have rooms that do not work in any configuration where the window is open.  I do not get to test myself until next month. 

I tend to believe Celebrity has changed this so it functions with the doors closed now, but it very possibly could be ship related.  I have found no answer directly from Celebrity.

10 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

There are youtube videos showing the a/c working with the window down & the bifold doors closed.  But I many threads indicate people have rooms that do not work in any configuration where the window is open.  I do not get to test myself until next month. 

I tend to believe Celebrity has changed this so it functions with the doors closed now, but it very possibly could be ship related.  I have found no answer directly from Celebrity.

The bifold doors are cosmetic; they do not stop airflow. If the window is down, the a/c is off.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

The bifold doors are cosmetic; they do not stop airflow. If the window is down, the a/c is off.

I do not believe this accurate for all ships.  I watched a video where someone held paper up to the vent to show it was blowing air with the window open & the bifold doors closed.  Also a Canadian travel agent posted a video stating same although she didn't provide proof beyond standing in room stating the air stayed on.  I have a more definitive answer when I return from my trip at end of July. If mine doesn't work, I will try to remember to ask onboard why it works for some and not others.

10 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I do not believe this accurate for all ships.  I watched a video where someone held paper up to the vent to show it was blowing air with the window open & the bifold doors closed.  Also a Canadian travel agent posted a video stating same although she didn't provide proof beyond standing in room stating the air stayed on.  I have a more definitive answer when I return from my trip at end of July. If mine doesn't work, I will try to remember to ask onboard why it works for some and not others.

If I might ask, which Edge-class ship(s) were these AC tests performed on?

So my review of CS Edge 11177 is this:

We went into the reservation dreading what we were going to find.  Once we opened the door, we liked it.  They made the room feel brighter and more spacious.

PRO: Being in Alaska we could "sit on the verandah" and not freeze.  I am sure the opposite is true for the Caribbean where it is too hot and humid to enjoy the verandah.  The room felt bigger and certainly was brighter.

CONS: The cross bar was right in eyesight when sitting. The window was slow to open as was the shade.  Whoever is up first couldn't peek out to see where we were without having to bring the shade up and waking the other person.

DECISION:  We will be fine in an infinite verandah on future cruises.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

So my review of CS Edge 11177 is this:

We went into the reservation dreading what we were going to find.  Once we opened the door, we liked it.  They made the room feel brighter and more spacious.

PRO: Being in Alaska we could "sit on the verandah" and not freeze.  I am sure the opposite is true for the Caribbean where it is too hot and humid to enjoy the verandah.  The room felt bigger and certainly was brighter.

CONS: The cross bar was right in eyesight when sitting. The window was slow to open as was the shade.  Whoever is up first couldn't peek out to see where we were without having to bring the shade up and waking the other person.

DECISION:  We will be fine in an infinite verandah on future cruises.

So you’re saying that the benefit of an IV is that you can sit inside your room?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

When very cold or very hot and humid.

3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Just curious, how long did you actually sit by your window (I refuse to call it a verandah/balcony) every day?

We typically relax on our balcony for 3 to 4 hours a day on every sea day which in our case includes numerous Transatlantics. I simply can't imagine the chairs in an IV being comfortable/relaxing for more than a few minutes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

For it to be true all of the electrical connections/switches would have to have been moved the cost of which would have been enormous. Plus no E class ships have been taken of service to allow for such a major change.

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, which Edge-class ship(s) were these AC tests performed on?

I located one of the videos.  Life Well Cruised (a Canadian couple) from youtube states that you could turn on the AC with the bifolds closed on the Ascent posted January of this year.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

I located one of the videos.  Life Well Cruised (a Canadian couple) from youtube states that you could turn on the AC with the bifolds closed on the Ascent posted January of this year.  

I guess things changed over the period January to April.  We were on the Ascent transatlantic and the A/C is definitely off when the window is down no matter the state of the bifold doors.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Can I not do that when I have a balcony?  People seem to think that a window is a magical new invention.

Waves wand 

“aperta fenestra“
Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We found the chairs perfectly comfortable on our recent trip to Norway. We sat for hours by the window watching the fjords and enjoying the sea views. If it was warm enough outside, we had the window completely open. I especially liked it during the early hours when we entered the fjords. In our previous balcony cabins, I would put a coat on and lean on the railing to see the sights, until I got too chilly to enjoy it. Also no point sitting on the balcony, as the view upwards, and forwards and back was restricted by the roof of the balcony, or the screens to the adjoining cabins. View from inside the room was obviously even more restricted. 

Instead I was able to sit in comfort right by the window, with a really expansive view, binoculars on the table next to me! We thought the IV cabin was perfect for this situation, and were very pleased we took the risk booking it rather than our usual balcony cabins.

Disclaimer that we don’t close the blinds at night, can sleep perfectly well without having to have a very dark room. Also hate having to use air conditioning, as would rather have fresh air any day. We did find the air con / heating mercifully quiet on the Apex though. We often find the noise from air conditioners very intrusive, and inclined to keep us awake particularly in hotels in the US. The sound of the sea from a slightly open IV window was wonderfully relaxing and sleep inducing though. 
Must remind readers that I have never cruised in the Caribbean or similar, no interest in taking holidays in a climate where I had to be trapped inside an air conditioned room to escape the heat and humidity, just not my thing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ergates The Ant said:

We found the chairs perfectly comfortable on our recent trip to Norway. We sat for hours by the window watching the fjords and enjoying the sea views. If it was warm enough outside, we had the window completely open. I especially liked it during the early hours when we entered the fjords. In our previous balcony cabins, I would put a coat on and lean on the railing to see the sights, until I got too chilly to enjoy it. Also no point sitting on the balcony, as the view upwards, and forwards and back was restricted by the roof of the balcony, or the screens to the adjoining cabins. View from inside the room was obviously even more restricted. 

Instead I was able to sit in comfort right by the window, with a really expansive view, binoculars on the table next to me! We thought the IV cabin was perfect for this situation, and were very pleased we took the risk booking it rather than our usual balcony cabins.

Disclaimer that we don’t close the blinds at night, can sleep perfectly well without having to have a very dark room. Also hate having to use air conditioning, as would rather have fresh air any day. We did find the air con / heating mercifully quiet on the Apex though. We often find the noise from air conditioners very intrusive, and inclined to keep us awake particularly in hotels in the US. The sound of the sea from a slightly open IV window was wonderfully relaxing and sleep inducing though. 
Must remind readers that I have never cruised in the Caribbean or similar, no interest in taking holidays in a climate where I had to be trapped inside an air conditioned room to escape the heat and humidity, just not my thing.

Thanks for posting that.  How is it different with a balcony door?  Can you not see outside?  Have they moved the railing on Edge class?  With the window are you looking straight out when sitting, looking up or looking down?  I am trying to understand what it is that you can do with a window that you cannot do with a door.

6 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

Thanks for checking. We'll be on the Ascent in Jan 2026 cruising around the Caribbean in an aft-facing cabin and won't be able to experience it firsthand. But that would definitely be a positive development for us to book an IV cabin in the future, especially if others continue to confirm this improvement to be the case. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

100%WRONG and the video is lying. I have been on all ALL E-Class ships, INCLUDING the Ascent in january, and the IV cabins ALL operate the same way There's absolutely NOTHING within the bifold doors that control anything, they are purely cosmetic. What MAY be happening is residual airflow but you can be sure that the AC is SHUT OFF. I don't understand why people enjoy lying and making false claims. I go through this every time I'm on an E-class ship.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

100%WRONG and the video is lying. I have been on all ALL E-Class ships, INCLUDING the Ascent in january, and the IV cabins ALL operate the same way There's absolutely NOTHING within the bifold doors that control anything, they are purely cosmetic. What MAY be happening is residual airflow but you can be sure that the AC is SHUT OFF. I don't understand why people enjoy lying and making false claims. I go through this every time I'm on an E-class ship.

Is it possible there is a fan still running even when AC is not cooling?  I can do that at home.  I am not an engineer so I tend to believe the 1,000 people who say it shuts off versus the 1 person who says it keeps running.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is it possible there is a fan still running even when AC is not cooling?  I can do that at home.  I am not an engineer so I tend to believe the 1,000 people who say it shuts off versus the 1 person who says it keeps running.

Yes, that May be the case. The switch in the window may shut down the compressor or whatever type of cooling mechanism is used but the fan may be still on. It also could be the fan stays on for several minutes before shutting all the way down. That happens all the time in many HVAC systems. But I have to emphasize that there's no switch or mechanism in the bifold door tracks that 'trips' the HVAC. I specifically looked into that when I was on the Ascent in January in an IV cabin and every other E-Class ship. So what the mentioned video about the IV cabins on the Ascent is false. As I continue to remind people I was the first in to report this issue on Cruise Critic way back in December, 2018 on the Edge's second of two inaugural cruises.  

Edited by kwokpot

10 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

What MAY be happening is residual airflow but you can be sure that the AC is SHUT OFF. I don't understand why people enjoy lying and making false claims. 

I doubt she is purposely making false claims -  although she may have confused recycled air as the AC compressor running.  She does tend to focus on the positive aspects of ships in her videos but this particular video is one of her more critical.  Another youtube video - I haven't located it again yet - has a guy with a napkin showing there is air coming out of the vent with the bifold closed. If the air recycles the whole time, that'd explain the confusion.

With the AC off, with 5 sides insulated by other rooms & the hall, doesn't it still take over an hour to heat up the room unless the person on the veranda is going in and out quite a bit?

Zitsky, here are a couple of photos taken from the open window of the IV. To get similar views from a regular balcony, I would have needed to go out to the balcony railing. I also enjoyed the relative privacy of a solid wall between us and our neighbours, rather than the balcony dividers. 
Hope this will give you an idea.

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0393.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

15 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

With the AC off, with 5 sides insulated by other rooms & the hall, doesn't it still take over an hour to heat up the room unless the person on the veranda is going in and out quite a bit?

My guess is you are drastically overestimating the insulating capability of the bi-fold doors.

• Thanks 1