Man, that's a long pier - Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point

Posted (edited)

Am I looking at this right? The pier at this new facility looks like it's a couple of football fields long, and extremely narrow. I wonder if they're going to run shuttles back-and-forth?

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/06/disney-magic-becomes-first-ship-to-visit-lookout-cay/

https://x.com/raisarivas/status/1799134800390877484

"Constructed to meet government mandates to protect the environment, reports mentioned that Disney Cruise Line is working on solutions for guests who may find it difficult to walk the distance from the ship to the destination’s entrance.

Additional reports reveal the walk from the ship to the family beach is more than 1.5 miles. However, the good news is that only one ship per day will dock at Lighthouse Point to allow guests a better experience when calling on the new destination." - Cruise Hive

https://www.cruisehive.com/disneys-lookout-cay-welcomes-first-preview-guests/136690

IMG_5720.webp

IMG_5719.jpeg

Edited by dmwnc1959

• Members

I can confirm that it is, indeed, long! But only a little over .5 miles. It took us 10 minutes but we were able bodied adults without any kids in tow. 

I'm just off the Lookout Cay preview sailing. Here's my story. AMA!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/photos-of-lookout-cay-at-lighthouse-point-disney-new-private-island/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

I can confirm that it is, indeed, long! But only a little over .5 miles. It took us 10 minutes but we were able bodied adults without any kids in tow. 

Sadly, not all cruisers are "able bodied". I wonder if anyone at DCL even thought about the trek down the pier before building the place.

• Like 3

I'll be honest, if I were on a ship that stopped there, as soon as I saw that pier, I'd be getting ready to enjoy a nice quiet day on the ship.

My understanding is that the pier was designed with consultation with the local government with regards to the habitat. 

• Like 3

Just now, 1025cruise said:

I'll be honest, if I were on a ship that stopped there, as soon as I saw that pier, I'd be getting ready to enjoy a nice quiet day on the ship.

My understanding is that the pier was designed with consultation with the local government with regards to the habitat. 

I understand that.  But, I wonder if anyone at DCL (or whoever was responsible for the decision making) even thought about it.  Maybe they could have built a bit wider pier and then been able to have a transportation system (golf carts, moving sidewalk, trams, whatever) to get the guests to the land.

For me, walking "just" a half a mile in 90 degree, humid, weather is just not attractive.  

• Like 3

On 6/9/2024 at 1:41 PM, Shmoo here said:

I understand that.  But, I wonder if anyone at DCL (or whoever was responsible for the decision making) even thought about it.  Maybe they could have built a bit wider pier and then been able to have a transportation system (golf carts, moving sidewalk, trams, whatever) to get the guests to the land.

For me, walking "just" a half a mile in 90 degree, humid, weather is just not attractive.  

Oh I'm certain it was thought about but Bob Chapek likely cut the budget to where it wasn't possible.  During construction they could have designed the pier to have have the same ecological footprint but be wide enough for trams to turn around, but it would cost more. But to fix the problem now, will be double the cost of the original construction. DCL knew people would compare LP to the gold standard CC but consciously decided not to meet the standard that DCL set. Thanks Bob Chapek.

I'm glad we decided to book the next cruise the CC instead of LP.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 1:41 PM, Shmoo here said:

Yep, I'm glad we decided on Castaway Cay for the next cruise.

The thing about Eleuthera is the reefs prevent short piers. Carnival Corp has a private destination there - called Princess Cays (it's actually on the other side of the island as Disney's destination). Rather than have a half mile pier, they have tender boats.

I guess Disney chose to build a long pier to minimize weather-related issues. Anyone who's been on a lot of cruises knows that tendering is often cancelled if the winds are high, seas are choppy, etc.

They'll have to do shuttles or at least offer jitneys for folks who can't walk that much.

• Like 1

I have been chuckling over some of the people complaining about the length of this pier.  Mostly the parents saying that it's gonna be horrible to trek back from a day at the beach with tired kids in tow...    but these same parents have made the walk in Nassau to Junkanoo beach with no issues whatsoever with getting there and back.   It's pretty much the same distance!

I get that they maybe should have added some sort of shade to that walk but bring an umbrella and shade yourself, it will help, I promise.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 2:44 PM, angelsfort said:

I have been chuckling over some of the people complaining about the length of this pier.  Mostly the parents saying that it's gonna be horrible to trek back from a day at the beach with tired kids in tow...    but these same parents have made the walk in Nassau to Junkanoo beach with no issues whatsoever with getting there and back.   It's pretty much the same distance!

I get that they maybe should have added some sort of shade to that walk but bring an umbrella and shade yourself, it will help, I promise.

Unfortunately i can’t push my wheelchair and hold an umbrella at the same time. 

Seeing this pier and knowing there isn’t any type of shuttle assistance is really disheartening.  Disney has always been known to go above and beyond to assist those of us with mobility issues.  Thankfully DCL usually isn’t my first cruise line choice but I was looking forward to exploring Lighthouse Cay in the near future.

25 minutes ago, MinnesotaDreamer said:

Reports on another message board have said that they will use a shuttle on the pier for those with mobility issues upon request.

But only for the (1) person who has the mobility issue, not the entire party.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...