Something interesting happened on the way to Marseille

We're a family of 5 sailing on the Oosterdam tomorrow and DD and I were on Navigator browsing the daily activities when she notices that her Day 2 says Villefranche-sur-mer (Nice) while mine still says Marseille. So I started poking around the boards for France ports and find that there are dock worker strikes in France planned for the month of June. Lo and behold, for our port call on June 13 there is an all-day strike scheduled. Just checked Navigator again and now mine matches DD's. Guess we're going to Nice. Now to figure out what to do last minute.

That port for Nice was our very first port. We went into Nice and went to both the Matisse and Chagall Museums. It is still one of my all time favorite do it yourself days. 

• Like 3

You have actually lucked out. Easy to take a train from VilleF. to either Nice or Monaco. Also buses available up the hill from the tender dock in the new part of town. Take a taxi up to the mountain top town of Eze. Spectacular views. Small town of St Jean out on Cap Ferat is great. If you are into walking you can walk from where the tender drops you off around the beach and up the stairs past villas including Nellcote where The Rolling Stones recorded an album into the next town over called Beaulieu Sur Mer. Great little town with a nice collection of small restaurants. Or if you are lazy go to the wine bar in the Hotel Welcome right across from the tender dock order wine and a bite to eat and enjoy the real French Riviera. I envy you.

• Like 3

I agree!!!  Wonderful port.  If you can catch an independent tour guide, go with them and visit Eze (my favorite village in all of our travels), and St. Paul de Vence (Chagall).  We have also done Monaco and been up to the Villa Ephrussi (walkable).

• Like 2

You might check Jeff Farschman's travel blog amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com.  He is currently on the Oosterdam and they were detoured to Nice and tendered there on Monday, June 10.  His photos and detailed tour of the day are fabulous.  You're going to love it.  Monaco is not my favorite place to visit but I love the region and coast.  JMO. Cherie

• Like 1

Nice has plenty to do.  If you haven't been there before, I would forego all the talk of visiting Monaco and taking buses to some of the small hill villages.  Stay in Nice.

Visit the Old Town and the local outdoor food, flower, and flea markets

As was stated above, visit the Chagall and Matisse Museums.

Walk along the Promenade des Anglais.

Lunch at the Hotel Negresco.

• Like 4

On 6/12/2024 at 10:07 AM, Fred321 said:

You have actually lucked out.

I agree.

We docked at Villafranche on the Oosterdam in April.  Great port....Our independent tour took us to Nice, Monaco and surrounds....great day.  Nice was our favorite and we said we'd like to come back to Nice.....

Also, Villefranche is a tender port.....So if Nice is not, you are in much better shape.

Enjoy France and the Oosterdam........

Thanks for explaining about the dock workers strike as now I understand why Oosterdam tendered at Nice.  

We were there a few times and really enjoyed the French Riveria.  Tried to cover the area from Cannes to Monaco.  Using both local busses and trains, we enjoyed the cities and the little mountain top villages of Eze and St Paul de Vence.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. We took the train to Nice and had a beautiful day. Villefranche sur mer is lovely as well and there’s so much to look forward to on our next visit 😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grannyshell said:

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. We took the train to Nice and had a beautiful day. Villefranche sur mer is lovely as well and there’s so much to look forward to on our next visit 😉

The next time we had a cruise in that area we actually docked in Cannes and walked around there checking out the area.

I should add to my earlier post where I said we went to Nice to the Chagall and Matisse Museums that DW actually swam in the Mediterranean when we got back to Villefranche. She that but aid that the place she changed into her bathing suit was the most disgusting place she had ever been in. It was supposed to be a bathroom, but from what she told me it was just a hole in the ground. Meanwhile, I was left to guard our possessions. My head melted, but I was able to withstand it because she put our stuff down with me having a view of several topless French women. 😊😊😊😊

• Haha 1