Solo Pricing

I just got an email from Celebrity with last minute cruise offers.  I looked at a cruise to Alaska.  For two people sharing a balcony cabin the total, including port fees and taxes, was $3241 ($1620.50 per person).  I priced the same balcony category for a solo passenger and the total was $4938.12!  More than triple the price per person.  Is this even legal?  This pricing is outrageous and discriminatory against solo passengers!  I'll take my cruise dollars where they are appreciated.  Obviously, the Alaska cruise is not fully booked or it wouldn't be listed in the last minute cruise deals, but it seems Celebrity doesn't want any solos on their cruises.

Kathy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Agree that Celebrity doesn't seem interested in solo cruisers. As far as whether it's a legal issue, single cruisers are not a protected class as far as discrimination is concerned. Definitely spend your money with companies that appreciate and want to serve you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

I just got an email from Celebrity with last minute cruise offers.  I looked at a cruise to Alaska.  For two people sharing a balcony cabin the total, including port fees and taxes, was $3241 ($1620.50 per person).  I priced the same balcony category for a solo passenger and the total was $4938.12!  More than triple the price per person.  Is this even legal?  This pricing is outrageous and discriminatory against solo passengers!  I'll take my cruise dollars where they are appreciated.  Obviously, the Alaska cruise is not fully booked or it wouldn't be listed in the last minute cruise deals, but it seems Celebrity doesn't want any solos on their cruises.

Kathy

It is legal and it is not discriminatory.  I am also a solo cruiser.

• Thanks 2

Depends on the cruise. I just booked solo for a 4 night Reflection cruise as an "almost" b2b with my RCCL cruise this September.  The Celebrity cruise was $620 in a Premium balcony: $155 / night.  This is a group rate, also.

7 hours ago, scurrymd said:

Can you book for two, and then have the second be a no show or cancel? 

I book solo - I’ve not done the “no show” personally however on the other thread on this it appears Celebrity are now cracking down and repricing where a no show happens. It may be best to refer to the other thread which has a more substantial number of replies/experiences of this.

Personally I wouldn’t book an over inflated solo rate, but I guess I’ve been lucky so far that my solo rates are identical to double occupancy. Not exactly ideal either but at least not inflated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CocoCronut said:

I book solo - I’ve not done the “no show” personally however on the other thread on this it appears Celebrity are now cracking down and repricing where a no show happens. It may be best to refer to the other thread which has a more substantial number of replies/experiences of this.

Personally I wouldn’t book an over inflated solo rate, but I guess I’ve been lucky so far that my solo rates are identical to double occupancy. Not exactly ideal either but at least not inflated.

This has been my experience as well.

22 hours ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

Kathy

There are many threads regarding this same issue.  They do have some ships that have single cabins but they are sometimes priced higher than two people in a cabin.  Since the hotel part of the ship is obviously a big money maker, they want that per person pricing for double occupancy.  As far as legality, while I agree with you, I feel that perhaps since they are registered outside the USA they can get around that.  Would I love to see legislation that requires any cruise line that has offices in the USA offer a single person the cruise fare based on double occupancy but only charge half of that, of course.  If it were enacted I can imagine the per person price would go through the roof.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

There are many threads regarding this same issue.  They do have some ships that have single cabins but they are sometimes priced higher than two people in a cabin.  Since the hotel part of the ship is obviously a big money maker, they want that per person pricing for double occupancy.  As far as legality, while I agree with you, I feel that perhaps since they are registered outside the USA they can get around that.  Would I love to see legislation that requires any cruise line that has offices in the USA offer a single person the cruise fare based on double occupancy but only charge half of that, of course.  If it were enacted I can imagine the per person price would go through the roof.

OP's example shows they are charging significantly over double.  Solo travelers are accustomed to paying double in many cases, but this is outrageous.   I recently was quoted a fare of $7377 on a cabin that showed a double occupany fare of $4823 total, and was told I was ineligible as a solo for a promotion that included their all-inclusive package.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, scurrymd said:

Nope. You'll be charged the solo rate at the pier less port taxes and fees for second person. My Celebrity CVP told me not to do this.

31 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Nope. You'll be charged the solo rate at the pier less port taxes and fees for second person. My Celebrity CVP told me not to do this.

My CVP did too! The last thing I would want to do is show up and try and cancel then get shocked with that 300%+ fare! If enough people start doing this, I guarantee it will get shut down quickly and not in our favor.

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Does any one have experience of them actually doing that?

Asking one of X's employees is hardly likely to get you the advice you want i.e. to book for two and just one of you turn up.

It would also seem very difficult for X to reprice at the port as at that point you could say "the passenger is delayed and intends to join the ship at a later port." As that is permitted what would they do then? 

Imagine the fall out for X if it was a genuine case of a passenger having an accident on the way to the port or being stuck in traffic and arriving 10 minutes after the ship had sailed

If you had booked through an Agent on a group booking I doubt if X would even have a way of calculating the fare at the port.

It sounds like the scare tactics X uses to persuade you to book their excursions by saying that "you won't be left behind". Whereas in reality the offer is that if the ship sails without you X will get you to the next port which is exactly the same guarantee that most private tour companies give. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

I recently was quoted a fare of $7377 on a cabin that showed a double occupany fare of $4823 total, and was told I was ineligible as a solo for a promotion that included their all-inclusive package.

My answer to that would be "no thank you, good bye" then hanging up.  

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Nope. You'll be charged the solo rate at the pier less port taxes and fees for second person.

😂😂😂 In all the checkins I have seen and done I have yet to see any cruise line do this.  EVER.  Have you?  

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

My Celebrity CVP told me

Would this be the same CVPs that make a commission on what they sell you?  This is why I do my own bookings.  That phrase is as empty and dangerous as "I heard from a guy" in making decisions.

35 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I doubt if X would even have a way of calculating the fare at the port.

I haven't even seen a port with a method of charging any kind of fees or money at the port to the passengers.  The only issue I have seen at the port(s) is a passenger showing up without the necessary travel documents.  While I don't doubt that if enough solo passengers started booking a phantom second to avoid the markups over pp/dbl occupancy fares they would close the loop hole some how I seriously doubt anyone has ever had their fare marked up at the pier when they check in alone for any reason.  Considering that the port personnel are not cruise line employees I don't think they care if the cruise line isn't getting one more passenger at that moment.  I am sure they simply enter a code and move you along.  Exactly how would port personnel determine a no-show is a phantom vs. an actual travel issue?  I agree with you that the CVP said that to discourage doing it and maximize their commission. 

1 hour ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

My answer to that would be "no thank you, good bye" then hanging up.  

😂😂😂 In all the checkins I have seen and done I have yet to see any cruise line do this.  EVER.  Have you?  

Would this be the same CVPs that make a commission on what they sell you?  This is why I do my own bookings.  That phrase is as empty and dangerous as "I heard from a guy" in making decisions.

I haven't even seen a port with a method of charging any kind of fees or money at the port to the passengers.  The only issue I have seen at the port(s) is a passenger showing up without the necessary travel documents.  While I don't doubt that if enough solo passengers started booking a phantom second to avoid the markups over pp/dbl occupancy fares they would close the loop hole some how I seriously doubt anyone has ever had their fare marked up at the pier when they check in alone for any reason.  Considering that the port personnel are not cruise line employees I don't think they care if the cruise line isn't getting one more passenger at that moment.  I am sure they simply enter a code and move you along.  Exactly how would port personnel determine a no-show is a phantom vs. an actual travel issue?  I agree with you that the CVP said that to discourage doing it and maximize their commission. 

I have no interest in playing games or assuming a financial risk, however unlikely, with a cruise line that doesn't value me as a solo passenger.  Plenty of other fish in the sea.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, scurrymd said:

I cruise Solo a lot and even the person at the Onboard Future Cruise desk has told me to just book for 2 and tell them when checking in that the second guest couldn’t make it.

I have several cruises booked that way but have not checked in yet with that intention.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Do you actually know anyone this has happened to?  I don't trust what the CVP says. They are frequently wrong.  The reason I asked is that I'm normally a solo traveler and booked a cruise next fall for myself and another person TBD because the D/O price was much cheaper than the solo price.  I'm going to designate someone to be my roommate who would "no show" at embarkation if I can't find someone I want to sail with. I can still cancel the cruise for a full refund of my deposit if what you describe is actually taking place.  However, the only actual reports of one person in a D/O showing up at embarkation and the other passenger as a no show I've heard is that there isn't any price adjustment at the terminal and the second set of port fees and taxes is refunded post-cruise.

Edited by dreamer321
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

I don't trust what the CVP says. They are frequently wrong.

This - I would trust someone on here saying it happened to them not what an employee says on a phone line. One as you mentioned they are often wrong and also if the calls are recorded they are not going on record telling people how to bypass the rules for the company they work for

• Like 1

Is anyone aware of a thread on CruiseCritic reporting they were repriced at the pier because their cabin mate "no showed"?  I've been a pretty active user of these forums for the last few years and if this happened I'm sure someone would have posted about it.  I don't recall this ever being discussed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

I agree with you that the CVP said that to discourage doing it and maximize their commission. 

Not sure what their commission is but I'll bet its next to nothing. A couple times I found cruises with a large agency and asked my CVP if Celebrity could match or come close to the pricing and he said no and advised me to book with the agency. I felt bad but the saving was quite significant. 

16 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

Is anyone aware of a thread on CruiseCritic reporting they were repriced at the pier because their cabin mate "no showed"?  I've been a pretty active user of these forums for the last few years and if this happened I'm sure someone would have posted about it.  I don't recall this ever being discussed.

I’m also not aware of anyone posting that they were successful in booking like this, on the other hand, as posted on several other threads, they might not post to avoid drawing attention to this as it goes against every cruise line policy.

10 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

I’m also not aware of anyone posting that they were successful in booking like this, on the other hand, as posted on several other threads, they might not post to avoid drawing attention to this as it goes against every cruise line policy.

Huh? I’ve read many examples of the dummy/no-show practice. There’s at least one person in this very thread who’s  mentioned doing it.