Beyond Retreat Meals on Port Days

I understand that Lumine does not operate for lunch on port days unless you dock after 1 PM.  Our next cruise is in June next year to the Caribbean.  None of the ports excite us but it coincides with my 60th birthday and timing works well for us.  With that, we were going to stay on board an enjoy the even quieter Retreat area.  Removing dining options for the general passengers such as OVC or Mast Grill, and removing room service, what is available lunch wise for Retreat guests when in port served in the Retreat area?

Posted (edited)

Maybe sushi on five?  But even that venue is not always open on port days.

Some ships have a retreat sundeck where they will have a limited menu of hamburgers, and sandwiches. But not all of the ships have this area.

Edited by cruisestitch

We frequently stay on the ship in the Caribbean and the only place open at lunch for Retreat only guests is the Sundeck with a limited menu.  

We also normally stay onboard or are back onboard in time for lunch on Caribbean sailings.  We normally have lunch on the Retreat Sun Deck or Sushi on Five.   We have had our butler bring us sandwiches, chips, and ice tea/lemonade and enjoyed lunch on the balcony. 

My favorite item from the Retreat Sun Deck is the Turkey wrap sandwich with fries but as others have said, the Luminae burger is a very good burger. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

We also normally stay onboard or are back onboard in time for lunch on Caribbean sailings.  We normally have lunch on the Retreat Sun Deck or Sushi on Five.   We have had our butler bring us sandwiches, chips, and ice tea/lemonade and enjoyed lunch on the balcony. 

My favorite item from the Retreat Sun Deck is the Turkey wrap sandwich with fries but as others have said, the Luminae burger is a very good burger. 

Sushi on Five and Eden are complimentary to Retreat Guests?

Just now, ScottC4746 said:

No, we paid to eat at Sushi on Five. Never had lunch in Eden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

I understand that Lumine does not operate for lunch on port days unless you dock after 1 PM.  Our next cruise is in June next year to the Caribbean.  None of the ports excite us but it coincides with my 60th birthday and timing works well for us.  With that, we were going to stay on board an enjoy the even quieter Retreat area.  Removing dining options for the general passengers such as OVC or Mast Grill, and removing room service, what is available lunch wise for Retreat guests when in port served in the Retreat area?

Let me rephrase this as there seems to be a confusion based on referrals. 

I was looking for suggestions of complimentary dining in the Retreat area.  Looks like Sundeck is the only option for that area.  Someone suggested room service but hate paying room service fees.

Le Grand Bistro, it will cost you if not in upper suite, but they have a wonderful lunch menu.  It’s my favorite specialty restaurant on board!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Liao said:

Le Grand Bistro, it will cost you if not in upper suite, but they have a wonderful lunch menu.  It’s my favorite specialty restaurant on board!

Upper Suite?  Does MC Sky count or do you mean the suites that very few of us can even think of affording?

• Haha 1

Just now, ScottC4746 said:

Upper Suite?  Does MC Sky count or do you mean the suites that very few of us can even think of affording?

MC not included.  Royal and above have unlimited access.  But for $30(?) the lunch is outstanding.

Sundeck is the only Retreat only place open without a fee.  The MC suites are entry level suites, high end suites on. Celebrity are Royal Suites and above.

We have been cruising primarily in suites for tge past few years and we don’t order room service, no table to eat at in most suites. However, I thought Room Service had no fee for suite guests.  If I’m wrong someone will correct me. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Liao said:

Le Grand Bistro would be a great lunch but OP does not want to pay

maybe Eden Cafe or Spa Cafe...limited menus and hrs????

32 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We frequently stay on the ship in the Caribbean and the only place open at lunch for Retreat only guests is the Sundeck with a limited menu.  

I don’t mean this a mean or condescending way, but you always have the option to join the rest of the minions who eat at the Oceanview Cafe. I understand that you have paid big bucks for the retreat experience, and maybe even just want to stay in the retreat area, but the food in the Oceanview is really good, and the crowds aren’t bad either on port days

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

FWIW, the Luminae staff take turns working the OVC on port days in case one wants to see them.  While they have specific duties, they have been very helpful when we have gone to the OVC for lunch (e.g., steering me to the fresh guacamole).  The food quality has been good, and crowds okay on port days when we have gone.  On Edge class ships there are several table areas that can be nearly empty too.  I am not positive, but if mobility is an issue the staff may be of some extra help.  Again, you may recognize some, and vice versa.  

I view the Retreat sundeck menu and food service as being a weak spot of the Retreat experience.  We have observed that the wrap is premade, the burger is often par cooked and then finished, and salads have been sitting in a holding shelf before being carried out.  

Edited by Cap_D

5 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

I don’t mean this a mean or condescending way, but you always have the option to join the rest of the minions who eat at the Oceanview Cafe. I understand that you have paid big bucks for the retreat experience, and maybe even just want to stay in the retreat area, but the food in the Oceanview is really good, and the crowds aren’t bad either on port days

I'm aware of that, it is also the first time, and probably only time we will be in Retreat.  By booking onboard we were given such a great offer we just barely afforded what we got, so I don't know everything included in Retreat.

55 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

If you are in a royal suite or above all specialty restaurants are free , if not you pay.

.  Someone suggested room service but hate paying room service fees.

There are no room service fee's for Retreat guest outside the early morning (midnight to 6 am) iirc. 

Posted (edited)

I don't think anyone here has mentioned the Aqua Spa Cafe on deck 14.  I would think it would still be open on port days.  

Much quieter than the buffet with some interesting dining choices.

Edited by Gracie115

13 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I don't think anyone here has mentioned the Aqua Spa Cafe on deck 14.  I would think it would still be open on port days.  

Much quieter than the buffet with some interesting dining choices.

the OP is looking for Retreat guests only, non fee lunch options.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

the OP is looking for Retreat guests only, non fee lunch options.

I do understand that....but since there is only the Retreat sundeck as an option thought I'd mention the Aqua Spa area, which we like, I've never seen it crowded like the buffet and it's free.

• Like 1