Is the Oceania menu as limited as their website says?

1 minute ago, ToxM said:

We aren’t cruising for the forseeable future, as Regent killed our love for it sadly. Someone further up said that Regent was far superior to Oceania, I wish I had been able to have that experience when I was on Regent in January. 

When I get my taste back for cruising it will be on Oceania, I wouldn’t go back on Regent even if it was free. The food we had on Regent makes P&O look like a Michelin starred restaurant. 

I hope everyone has blip free cruising in the future. 

We took our first O cruise in October. I think we found our goldilocks "sweet spot". RCCL which we cruised too many times as "rewards " in the industry where we work. We had a large suite, became Diamond Plus, had access to concierge lounge, specialty restaurants, etc. and each of us had 4 free drinks each day. The entertainment was great on most of the ships. They were just "too big". Cruised on Regent in 2022. Great suite, good food, lovely ship. Missed the entertainment. "too small". O is the right size, food pretty good, have booked 2 additional cruises. "Just right" size  wise--just wish the entertainment was better, Would not do a TA because of that. No excursion during the day, no entertainment at night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptainCook808 said:

Side note: I'll never know the joy you have biting into a fancy entree. But most of you will never know the joy of biting into an extraordinary cheeseburger. Or a prefect cut of filet with an amazing peppercorn sauce.

You can not be serious!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CaptainCook808 said:

Side note: I'll never know the joy you have biting into a fancy entree. But most of you will never know the joy of biting into an extraordinary cheeseburger. Or a prefect cut of filet with an amazing peppercorn sauce.

You really shouldn't assume that those of us who enjoy fancy and exotic foods don't also enjoy the outstanding cheeseburger or filet. For us, it's not a case of either/or, but it's that we like the broader experiences.  To each his own. 

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

You really shouldn't assume that those of us who enjoy fancy and exotic foods don't also enjoy the outstanding cheeseburger or filet. For us, it's not a case of either/or, but it's that we like the broader experiences.  To each his own. 

Excellent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORV said:
4 hours ago, CaptainCook808 said:

You can not be serious!

Agreed.

Home ground pork and all manner of accoutrements 🙂

burger3.jpg

• Like 2

So.. I am more of an "ingredient-based" diner than a foodie. Many foodies are looking for unusual dishes or 'chef signature' dishes. 

I just want good I ingredients prepared well. 

Oceania does a very good job by me. I am also a restricted diner (no gluten). 

So if you want "plain" food, or as we say at our house 'Mamie Eisenhower' tastebud foods, O can likely do fine. If you are looking for Michelin starred dining, eat ashore. 

If you love Applebees or Chili's, you may find O pricey-but-palatable if you order accordingly? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

If you are looking for Michelin starred dining, eat ashore. 

Michelin not necessary for us. Rather I research where we're going to be and find good local fare. I don't really want to be with lots of tourists.

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2024 at 6:43 PM, CaptainCook808 said:

We are considering Oceania because they focus on having the best food of any line and the food is a big deal to us.

Hey-CCook- I hear you!! The cruise itinerary was only important to me for one port for a personal business meeting. I have visited the others several times, so I planned on enjoying the ship- and that means the food offerings. Therefore since several cruise lines go the same route I chose Oceania for the food and had done almost a year of research.

Oceania is undergoing a culinary switch over, much to my disappointment, since I literally had my shipboard menus all planned out. I knew what I wanted to eat and where on any given day.

I don’t know if I will get back to Europe to enjoy the various countries delights again so having an international offering was important to me. Perhaps the untraveled newcomers Oceania is trying to woo won’t care or even notice.

But it is what it is- my final payment was already made prior to the changes I see happening; and all the RaRa from my TA that regardless of these changes, they are “sure” I’ll be happy with the quality- I don’t need a sales job I need someone with inside clout to transmit the customer concerns to Oceania higher ups.

I guess I will have to download my own Parisian Bistro music and listen to it as I eat lunch in the MDR (will Jacques Bistro even be there?) or the Japanese Hokagu as I pretend the Waves Black Angus Beef burger is their former Kobe beef burger.

Edited by Thought2go
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

If you love Applebees or Chili's, you may find O pricey-but-palatable if you order accordingly? 

Not a fan of either of those. But I absolutely love The Black Eyed Pea - amazing chicken fried steak.

And if any of you are ever in Boulder, CO go to Carelis. Incredibly good Italian food.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

Agreed.

Home ground pork and all manner of accoutrements 🙂

burger3.jpg

Agree, but this might be a little to much--after all we all probably have doctors appointments when we get back😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Agree, but this might be a little to much--after all we all probably have doctors appointments when we get back😁

That's a 4oz burger, onion, avocado, tomato and I think mushrooms. Pretty healthy actually.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CaptainCook808 said:

amazing chicken fried steak.

I believe I've read that that originated in Texas. In the South it's country fried steak which is pan-fried, not battered, and a pan sauce not gravy.

52 minutes ago, Thought2go said:

Waves Black Angus Beef burger is their former Kobe beef burger.

They do have a Wagyu burger on that menu.

48 minutes ago, CaptainCook808 said:

Not a fan of either of those. But I absolutely love The Black Eyed Pea - amazing chicken fried steak.

And if any of you are ever in Boulder, CO go to Carelis. Incredibly good Italian food.

Did you not enjoy either the Wiener Schnitzel or Milanese di Vitello on O?

On 6/16/2024 at 6:43 PM, CaptainCook808 said:

Hi all;

We are considering Oceania because they focus on having the best food of any line and the food is a big deal to us. But I went and looked at the menus on the Sirena which has:

So The Grand Dining Room has nothing that appeals to us. The Terrace Cafe has some things that are ok (pasta, burgers) but nothing great. And we'll get very tired of that over time. The Waves Grill looks great - but lunch only and not that many choices so for anything over a week long cruise, way too repetitive. (Tuscan Steak we would happily hit every night, but it's a one night only restaurant.)

Are the menus in the above links accurate? I assumed a focus on food would deliver a much wider selection. The Regent has an incredibly wide selection (all good to great) and Viking has a pretty wide selection (2 - 3 times the number of choices on Oceania). So if it's this limited, I'm very surprised. Hopefully these menus are inaccurate and there are additional choices.

thanks - dave

Wow, those menu’s look pretty darn good to me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, clo said:

They do have a Wagyu burger on that menu.

Sigh- yes they “did”- Nothing wrong with Black angus beef- we have it all the time for our burger grilling- just wanted it to be upgrade on Oceania.

👇From Oceania web last week…

267BF73E-963D-4E05-9087-F6BD6CF1608A.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Thought2go said:

Sigh- yes they “did”- Nothing wrong with Black angus beef- we have it all the time for our burger grilling- just wanted it to be upgrade on Oceania.

Wagyu isn't an upgrade?

28 minutes ago, clo said:

Wagyu isn't an upgrade?

I believe they are saying that Wagyu no longer appears on some/all of the O menus. The last 2 sets of Preisman blog O-menus seem to confirm this. It is now Black Angus on the Waves and Polo menus (with a Kobe listed on Riviera under Polo Signatures, but not on Vista).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it is in your budget, you may want to consider a Penthouse Suite on Oceania.

you can order room service from any of the specialty restaurants (even from multiple restaurants the same meal)

59 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

If it is in your budget, you may want to consider a Penthouse Suite on Oceania.

you can order room service from any of the specialty restaurants (even from multiple restaurants the same meal)

Can you order room service in the PH from the Terrace Grill?

2 hours ago, Thought2go said:

That shows the Wagyu.

2 minutes ago, PSR said:

Can you order room service in the PH from the Terrace Grill?

Wouldn't you have to go there and see what's what?

1 minute ago, clo said:

Wouldn't you have to go there and see what's what?

Yes, but we like to eat later and prefer not to eat at a buffet. We would check the menu when it opens and order later.