Jewel of the Sea Grand Suite 1050 experience

Posted (edited)

We had the suite last week on the Jewel in Norway. All week, we reported that there was a sewer smell in our room. Multiple times, they tried to fix it but they were unable.   Very disappointed after spending so much money for this experience. I would say this  is a permanent problem in the room     Also, there was a long overhang that prevented us from seeing the top of Norway Fjords   This was more obstructed than any cruise I have taken.  If you book this room, be sure you aren’t interested in sightseeing and be sure to bring lots of room freshener . I did a lot of research and I did not know this about this room . It should be listed as obstructed view. 

Edited by renebfl
Wrong words
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, renebfl said:

It should be listed as obstructed view. 

RCI only list obstructions out and down - they don’t looking up. Many ships have this issue on the deck below the pool deck. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've been in similar cabins on Radiance ships and never noticed the overhang as a viewing hinderance.

And a bonus when it is raining.  😉 

We had no problem with the view in this cabin for 1st quarter world cruise on sister ship Serenade. 🙂 

20240119_111528.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

All of the GS on Radiance class ships have an overhang above them - the way the pool deck extends out is the problem.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

And a bonus when it is raining.  😉 

We had no problem with the view in this cabin for 1st quarter world cruise on sister ship Serenade. 🙂 

20240119_111528.jpg

When do you gat back on board?

• Like 1

This is the flaw with the Radiance class, and I think RC realized it and I don't think they've done it since. But, every suite JS to the Royal suite is on Deck 10. The only exception being the 3 2BR GS's, which are on 7, 8, & 9. (Brilliance and Radiance have a 4th on 10). They are all under the pool deck or the WJ (or other restaurants). At the back end, there's 2 semi-circular areas that stick out even further. I suppose the suites on the back end, which still being under the WJ outdoor area, they don't have the overhang to deal with.

We were kind of between semi-circular areas on Jewel for Arctic Circle. We knew this going in, and we accepted that for being in a JS. The only other option would have been to downgrade to a OV. This was booked under COVID double points, so as a 24-night B2B, we got 96 points 🙂 Straight from D to D+. As much as I've seen bad reviews about noise, that was never an issue for us. So, in the end, totally worth it.

26 minutes ago, orville99 said:

All of the GS on Radiance class ships have an overhang above them - the way the pool deck extends out is the problem.

This is the flaw with the Radiance class, and I think RC realized it and I don't think they've done it since. But, every suite JS to the Royal suite is on Deck 10. The only exception being the 3 2BR GS's, which are on 7, 8, & 9. (Brilliance and Radiance have a 4th on 10). They are all under the pool deck or the WJ (or other restaurants). At the back end, there's 2 semi-circular areas that stick out even further. I suppose the suites on the back end, which still being under the WJ outdoor area, they don't have the overhang to deal with.

We were kind of between semi-circular areas on Jewel for Arctic Circle. We knew this going in, and we accepted that for being in a JS. The only other option would have been to downgrade to a OV. This was booked under COVID double points, so as a 24-night B2B, we got 96 points 🙂 Straight from D to D+. As much as I've seen bad reviews about noise, that was never an issue for us. So, in the end, totally worth it.

My all time favorite grand suite was on sister ship Brilliance corner aft 1600 perfect for our Mediterranean cruise. Have done many grand suites on voyager , freedom and oasis class.

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

When do you gat back on board?

Rejoining for last quarter July 10th out of Barcelona.  Really looking forward to the Norway fiords, and the 5 port we have there the most...though the rest of the 62 night is pretty interesting also.  🥰

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Rejoining for last quarter July 10th out of Barcelona.  Really looking forward to the Norway fiords, and the 5 port we have there the most...though the rest of the 62 night is pretty interesting also.  🥰

Looking forward to you reenergizing that thread. Have a great cruise😇

• Like 2

Point taken. One benefit of using a travel agent is they can find out cabin details. The orientation of the bed is important for us, as is a shaded balcony. 

So sorry about the sewage smell, I would be very upset. 

On 6/19/2024 at 6:15 PM, orville99 said:

Looking forward to you reenergizing that thread. Have a great cruise😇

Thanks....but I won't be posting on the thread I created when we rejoin in Barcelona.  Had too much problems with pax that were not even on the cruise, posting personal pictures and experiences (even on different cruise lines) that had nothing to do with the WC.   When I gently tried to get them to stay on topic (as in Cruise Critic rules for off topic/hacking)...I got shot down. 

One problem poster (also not on the cruise) even said "Don't listen to Pat..post anything you want".  That was it for me.  I had fun doing it, but people like that ruined it.  

CC removed some of those posts, though I had nothing to do with that, I did not report the posts.  I just let it go.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Thanks....but I won't be posting on the thread I created when we rejoin in Barcelona.  Had too much problems with pax that were not even on the cruise, posting personal pictures and experiences (even on different cruise lines) that had nothing to do with the WC. 

😞  I've been looking forward to your return.   I'm going to miss reading your thoughts but hope you have a wonderful return to the World Cruise! 

Edited by DelMom18a
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DelMom18a said:

😞  I've been looking forward to your return.   I'm going to miss reading your thoughts but hope you have a wonderful return to the World Cruise! 

Thanks!  Indeed I had fun posting my adventures...but alas...a few bad apples spoil the batch I guess.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Indeed I had fun posting my adventures...but alas...a few bad apples spoil the batch I guess.  

5 hours ago, island lady said:

So sorry to hear that we were looking forward to your regular updates.

They were simply the best.

9 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

So sorry to hear that we were looking forward to your regular updates.

They were simply the best.

Aww....thanks!  Very sweet of you.  😊

I did enjoy doing the posts, but a few posters (not on the ship) changed that happy feeling for me.  

On 6/20/2024 at 3:08 PM, goldfish65 said:

Point taken. One benefit of using a travel agent is they can find out cabin details. The orientation of the bed is important for us, as is a shaded balcony. 

So sorry about the sewage smell, I would be very upset. 

This grand suite was one on an upgrade bid. My roommate really wanted to have a grand suite. It was won on an upgrade bid. My roommate really wanted to have a grand suite since she has mobility problems. She thought the larger balcony and room would be better for her. We originally had a balcony. She did a fairly generous bid and she got the room. So a travel agent would’ve helped us. You proved a good point though. I should make a new posting ‘“bidder beware” .