NCLH Laid off all the Ship and Land IT depts

NCLH just laid off the entire backbone of IT departments for communications in both Ship and Land.  Moved some, but not all, of the jobs to cheaper foreign labor from what I've heard.  Is NCL going under/bankrupt?  I've still got some credit I need to use but since departures and arrivals, ports, etc. require email and comm, if there's any IT glitch due to unskilled or inadequate staffing, and communications go down, I can only imagine the delays and skipped ports.  Anybody heard anything?

• Haha 1

I’ve seen a few companies do this. What invariably occurs is that the new IT teams has no knowledge of the business and process models, so their effectiveness is greatly overestimated. Also, IT workers in India (which is no doubt where this work went to) are not as cheap as they used to be 10 years ago.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

NCLH just laid off the entire backbone of IT departments for communications in both Ship and Land.  Moved some, but not all, of the jobs to cheaper foreign labor from what I've heard.  Is NCL going under/bankrupt?  I've still got some credit I need to use but since departures and arrivals, ports, etc. require email and comm, if there's any IT glitch due to unskilled or inadequate staffing, and communications go down, I can only imagine the delays and skipped ports.  Anybody heard anything?

The Skylink on the ships is not run by NCL. It is run by a contractor. 

wrt to the ships, the IT on the ship is run by "foreign labor" (except POA). So I am unclear as to what you are implying. The whole ship is "foreign" labor (e.g., there are very few (count on one hand) US citizens working on any ship except POA). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

Source?

42 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

I’ve seen a few companies do this. What invariably occurs is that the new IT teams has no knowledge of the business and process models, so their effectiveness is greatly overestimated. Also, IT workers in India (which is no doubt where this work went to) are not as cheap as they used to be 10 years ago.

Oh yea - been there. And from outside appearances, their current systems are spaghetti turning to mush, as patch after patch has been applied over the years.

And when has any "new and improved" IT system come in on time??? Sometimes a basic system can be implemented but dealing with all the exceptions inherent in any business is a huge time drain.  I was that person who knew all the business rules and exceptions when it came time to do an upgrade - and the IT people didn't listen  LOL. They thought the departments should change their business models instead of building something that did what was needed. That didn't go over so well....

Posted (edited)

If this, "rumour" is confirmed, it will clarify what's going on with my Latitudes rewards. 

I booked another cruise. I (might be) in November on the Breakaway, however, my account needs to be corrected first.  The IT department started working on the problem on the 8th of June.  Still nothing fixed but, I'll wait.  I wanted to book another cruise to make it a BtoB but won't until it's a go.  I keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.  

This news article seems to have come from Dec. 15, 2022 from news industry. If so, I'm pretty sure it's done.  Pretty sure I can't post their article. 

I don't buy it yet either. I'll be calling my IT guy later today to confirm or deny. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

57 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

If this, "rumour" is confirmed, it will clarify what's going on with my Latitudes rewards. 

I booked another cruise. I (might be) in November on the Breakaway, however, my account needs to be corrected first.  The IT department started working on the problem on the 8th of June.  Still nothing fixed but, I'll wait.  I wanted to book another cruise to make it a BtoB but won't until it's a go.  I keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.  

I would be calling again.

Thanks, I absolutely agree with you and for sure if I gets a resolution to my problem, I'll be back to break the good news, lol.,

I can't even imagine going from Sapphire to Prospect at this stage a 12 day back to back.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

How would someone know this?  Did they make some press release?

Not buying it.

Maybe they were directly impacted by the layoff or knew people that were. Do you really think NCL would make a press release about this? I mean, how exactly would that read?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SRQMom said:

Is NCL going under/bankrupt?  

Oh, no...the horror! When NCL goes under/bankrupt, what will become of the CC NCL page?

There goes my social life.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 18

2 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Thank You  Sounds like as they try to get the transitional bugs out, things might work a little better and faster.

You are most welcome. Yes, agreed. Tome will tell.

42 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Oh, no...the horror! When NCL goes under/bankrupt, what will become of the CC NCL page?

There goes my social life.

Personally, I will pick up NCLH shares for a song.  Schmoopie, you and I can take controlling interest and sail as much as we want in the best Haven cabins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

How would someone know this?  Did they make some press release?

Not buying it.

My neighbors son "was" part of the IT Team in Miami that handled the email servers on all the ships for internal communications.  He got laid off on Thursday with the entire department.  Even his bosses, bosses, boss was let go.  Totally unexpected.  All got severance so no official word needs released yet to comply with the required notice when a large % is laid off.  So, my thoughts still remain, since this isn't a "little here, little there" type layoff, is NCLH going under? What affect will this have on operations, etc.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Personally, I will pick up NCLH shares for a song.  Schmoopie, you and I can take controlling interest and sail as much as we want in the best Haven cabins.

Actually, I'm a steerage kind of guy. Plus, I'm too frugal/cheap/miserly to do the Haven.

As I've said before, the whole ship is going to the same places. No need to spend more than is necessary to get there. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

My neighbors son "was" part of the IT Team in Miami that handled the email servers on all the ships for internal communications.  He got laid off on Thursday with the entire department.  Even his bosses, bosses, boss was let go.  Totally unexpected.  All got severance so no official word needs released yet to comply with the required notice when a large % is laid off.  So, my thoughts still remain, since this isn't a "little here, little there" type layoff, is NCLH going under? What affect will this have on operations, etc.

My husband is a software developer. He has experience this a few times in the past 40 years in the industry. It typically doesn’t mean that a company is failing. It’s as simple as them cutting costs by moving entire IT departments off-shore. They often don’t tell the staff level employees because the company is only concerned about profits and a smooth, seamless transition. Your neighbor’s son will learn from this experience to read the tea leaves. Some folks ‘in the know’ do get heads up. When you see several veteran employees in upper management ( VP’s, Director’s and even Team Leads) leaving the company, it’s time to dust off your resume, as well.

Edited by roddy good boy
  • Like 1

Hopefully this will mean major improvements in the IT department. Lots of great IT departments in the world who cost a lot less than mediocre ones in North America. I have a friend who coordinates for a team in India from Canada and know an American who moved to India to start an IT branch of a company from Alaska. 

I hope all the staff who were laid off got good packages and will find something else quickly. People especially in IT know that big layoffs happen regularly and should be prepared for it sadly. This isn’t anything new.

14 hours ago, SRQMom said:

Going bankrupt LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL.  So you are saying that non-American IT staff are all unskilled.  Wow nice racist statement.

29 minutes ago, roddy good boy said:

My husband is a software developer. He has experience this a few times in the past 40 years in the industry. It typically doesn’t mean that a company is failing. It’s as simple as them cutting costs by moving entire IT departments off-shore. They often don’t tell the staff level employees because the company is only concerned about profits and a smooth, seamless transition. Your neighbor’s son will learn from this experience to read the tea leaves. Some folks ‘in the know’ do get heads up. When you see several veteran employees in upper management ( VP’s, Director’s and even Team Leads) leaving the company, it’s time to dust off your resume, as well.

I was once "in the know" in a company (not IT) and knew layoffs were coming. Perfectly executed on the part of management - I helped them with all the layoffs, then got my layoff notice a day later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SRQMom said:

If anything, this is sign that NCL isn't going under.  They are managing their expenses to maintain their viability.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1