Planning Europe Cruise - ?s for you experts

So after 30+ cruises since 2000, we are finally thinking about moving from the Caribbean we love to try Europe.  Rather than bombard my lovely travel agent with a bajillion questions right off the bat, I thought I would come to you experts.  We are looking at Voyager for October 2025.  I understand if we buy the air/sea package, we don't have to pay for the flight until final payment.  Mr Wolf is 6'5 - are we able to select our airline, departure time and class of service?  He will definitely need business class.  We do plan on going in 1-2 days early and leaving 1 day after.  I also feel for a first time that we should book excursions through the ship.  We normally book GS but I've convinced him this time that a JS is fine since the ship is more of a floating hotel than a destination - we'll be too pooped to do our usual night time antics.  Any advice or do's and don'ts are welcome.  TIA

I should arrive 3-4 days before the cruise (if you're not retired....)

Even when flying business class, it takes time to adjust. Better to start the cruise without jet-lag.

I've seen reports that it's cheaper to use air/sea package when returning from another port of embarkation (i.e., Barcelona to Rome).

Many reputable companies to do private excursions, especially in Italy.

I'd go through Royal only if you'd like to visit Capri (via ferry) for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used to Air2Sea for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise and even though the airfare is not due until cruise final payment, we paid it early because that was the only way to choose our seats ahead of time on our Lufthansa flight. Definitely did not want to wait until closer to the sailing date to choose seats. All classes were available (we chose Premium).

I am 6’4” business or first class is a must at least for me . We always do full suites but you are spending way less time on the ship on a Mediterranean cruise because of long shore excursion and voyager doesn’t give you that many perks so I can understand junior suite. Two days minimum before to arrive, what are the ports ? October should be a good month our September cruise was way to hot.

35 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Is Voyager still in Europe in October 2025? I thought it was leaving early next year. 

In theory, yes. But that will depend on what happens in Suez. She is slated to depart Rome for Dubai on the 3rd of November 2025. If Suez is unusable, there is a very good chance that at least a couple of the later October sailings would be cancelled to accommodate a potential route around Africa instead.

If the OP is looking at the first half of October it might not be an issue. The second half, maybe not so much. 😕

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I alway check to see which airlines fly to and from destination thru air to sea, then I check the individual airline to see flights available and fits my schedule since they don’t always show up in air to sea website.  If they do, they will give you a price for each class of seat.  If you can’t find what you want try calling, I do and eventually they find them and pick the class seat you want.  If they cannot assign seats, and you want specific ones, check the airline website once you book.  Some will let you pick seats early, and some won’t.  Otherwise watch the websites and when seats start filling up pay early as suggested, so you can pick.  I tend to wait and check prices often, as you can reprice before final payment is made.  I repriced and saved over $400.00 on my next flight by doing this.   I don’t know if they will do that if you pay early.

Edited by Cherful59
Added text

We've never used the air/sea package, we book separately with our preferred airline and hopefully get at least one ticket covered with points. We have been 3 times now and are sold on business class - if we can't get a pod my husband says he'll refuse to fly?!?

We try to go 1-2 days early and stay 1-2 days after the cruise, if possible. It gives us the opportunity to explore more locally plus definitely helps with the jetlag upon arrival.

We usually get at least a jr suite, but if we can upgrade a little we will. You're correct - these are exhausting itineraries with lots of excursions and (usually) few sea days to recover. Still, having a comfy room to come home to is awesome, especially on a longer cruise.

We always book independent excursions, only book thru the cruiseline in certain circumstances (ie they have the only access to an area). Even in Europe, we have always felt safe and comfortable using local guides and tour companies. Just like in the Caribbean - their livlihood depends on getting you back to the ship on time after having a fabulous day!!

1 hour ago, wolfganghowell said:

So after 30+ cruises since 2000, we are finally thinking about moving from the Caribbean we love to try Europe. 

You'll never want to go back to a Caribbean cruise again... You'll wonder why the h311 you didn't do a med/Euro cruise before this.

We are looking at Voyager for October 2025.  We do plan on going in 1-2 days early and leaving 1 day after. 

You're going all that way to do a 7 day sailing with only a day before and after?

Not being mean or anything, however that is a true waste. Any chance you can afford 14 days so that you can do a back to back? Which dates/sailings are you looking at?

I just sailed Voyager. By far and away my favorite Voyager Class ship. The Star Lounge and Viking Crown are both set up differently then the others, and the pool deck is not that gaudy lime green cheap looking colours like most of the new ships and those that have been "amped".  She is looking beautiful after her last drydock in my opinion.

I also feel for a first time that we should book excursions through the ship.

Don't feel this way... RC ship excursions minimum double the price for the same excursion ... and sometimes even less. Let us know your sailing date. Depending on your itinerary, there is no need for an excursion.... ie. Santorini does not need an excursions and you will save hundreds$$ from cruise ship excursion pricing to go to Oia for example

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@wolfganghowell I wouldn’t bet on Voyager in late 2025. There is a very strange gap in the most recent deployment planner and general feeling is she will go round Africa empty starting early September 

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2025_2026/2025-2026_Deployment_Summary_Ship.pdf

Other ships are available! 

Edited by little britain

Consider a week's cruise once over there and then the repositioning cruise to bring her back.

I HATE the flight over (even in 1st class with a Pod), not sure how others even tolerate it...

As others have said above, you will love the experience!

1 hour ago, Bead Pirate said:

Consider a week's cruise once over there and then the repositioning cruise to bring her back.

I HATE the flight over (even in 1st class with a Pod), not sure how others even tolerate it...

As others have said above, you will love the experience!

As long as I am in a pod and they don’t run out of liquor I am ok , my sister is flying to Australia for next cruise not sure if I could handle that . 

3 hours ago, wolfganghowell said:

So after 30+ cruises since 2000, we are finally thinking about moving from the Caribbean we love to try Europe.  Rather than bombard my lovely travel agent with a bajillion questions right off the bat, I thought I would come to you experts.  We are looking at Voyager for October 2025.  I understand if we buy the air/sea package, we don't have to pay for the flight until final payment.  Mr Wolf is 6'5 - are we able to select our airline, departure time and class of service?  He will definitely need business class.  We do plan on going in 1-2 days early and leaving 1 day after.  I also feel for a first time that we should book excursions through the ship.  We normally book GS but I've convinced him this time that a JS is fine since the ship is more of a floating hotel than a destination - we'll be too pooped to do our usual night time antics.  Any advice or do's and don'ts are welcome.  TIA

I just got back from a Voyager cruise in Europe (out of Barcelona, travelled to Turkey and Greece). Yes, Air2Sea gives you several choices and you can pick your seats - yes you do not have to pay for the airline tickets until final payment date. I booked excursions through the ship as I don't speak Turkish or Greek and felt more comfortable that way. They were fine but you can also try the FB page or roll call section for private tours that fellow cruisers are organizing.  The balcony cabin we had on deck 6 worked just fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

.....Don't feel this way... RC ship excursions minimum double the price for the same excursion ... and sometimes even less. Let us know your sailing date. Depending on your itinerary, there is no need for an excursion.... ie. Santorini does not need an excursions and you will save hundreds$$ from cruise ship excursion pricing to go to Oia for example

The only problem is the cable car to go up to Fira and then travel to Oia lately has had a huge line. There were 5 other ships when we were there and the Serenade world cruise was supposed to be there as well but cancelled. The ship excursion takes you to a dock where there is a bus waiting to take you to Oia. I thought it was worth it and I didn't have to worry about missing all aboard time due to the lines at the cable car. 

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I just got back from a Voyager cruise in Europe (out of Barcelona, travelled to Turkey and Greece). Yes, Air2Sea gives you several choices and you can pick your seats - yes you do not have to pay for the airline tickets until final payment date. I booked excursions through the ship as I don't speak Turkish or Greek and felt more comfortable that way. They were fine but you can also try the FB page or roll call section for private tours that fellow cruisers are organizing.  The balcony cabin we had on deck 6 worked just fine. 

We did just one rccl excursion out of 8 ports , really dislike ships tours there overcrowded and overpriced. Join roll call see if others have excursions you can join , most European ports people spoke English , one exception was Sicily. Definitely need to research tour companies, many feel safer on ships tours. 

• Like 1

The only problem is the cable car to go up to Fira and then travel to Oia lately has had a huge line. There were 5 other ships when we were there and the Serenade world cruise was supposed to be there as well but cancelled. The ship excursion takes you to a dock where there is a bus waiting to take you to Oia. I thought it was worth it and I didn't have to worry about missing all aboard time due to the lines at the cable car. 

When you get off the tender, there are ferry boat kiosks selling tickets to sail to Oia. The same ticket also pays for the bus back (every hour). Zero line. I bought tickets for two and walked right onto the waiting boat, left in 10 minutes. If I remember correctly, it was around 30euro pp. If I also remember correctly, the ship excursion was EASILY over $100 per person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, George C said:

We did just one rccl excursion out of 8 ports , really dislike ships tours there overcrowded and overpriced. Join roll call see if others have excursions you can join , most European ports people spoke English , one exception was Sicily. Definitely need to research tour companies, many feel safer on ships tours. 

There's more people on FB now than roll call.  My roll call for this last cruise was deader than dead. Yes you will save money doing it DIY but the added security that the ship won't leave me is the price I was willing to pay -- especially in Santorini with the cable car issues. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

When you get off the tender, there are ferry boat kiosks selling tickets to sail to Oia. The same ticket also pays for the bus back (every hour). Zero line. I bought tickets for two and walked right onto the waiting boat, left in 10 minutes. If I remember correctly, it was around 30euro pp. If I also remember correctly, the ship excursion was EASILY over $100 per person.

Yes but the ship excursion offers a guided tour from a local person. You don't get this in self-guided tours. People do speak English in the crowded tourist areas but if you go off the beaten path you might need a translation app at the least. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

How many other ships were at port that day?  Lines depend on the number of people getting off the ships. 

There's more people on FB now than roll call.  My roll call for this last cruise was deader than dead. Yes you will save money doing it DIY but the added security that the ship won't leave me is the price I was willing to pay -- especially in Santorini with the cable car issues. 

You are definitely correct, I would definitely have my wife use Facebook also , some are just an easy walk , one of my favorites was Kotor very short walk to the delightful walled city . We found a fantastic tour of Pisa and Florence with bypass the lines to the museum with Papillon tour company. In Naples we hired a taxi driver for the day and he drove us to Pompeii and showed us around Naples , went to the best pizza place in the world , which was featured on Stanley Tucci CNN show.

• Like 1

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

Yes but the ship excursion offers a guided tour from a local person. You don't get this in self-guided tours. People do speak English in the crowded tourist areas but if you go off the beaten path you might need a translation app at the least. 

I do DIY exciting long day excursions all over the world, and I certainly don't speak 100 languages,... I've never had an issue with language nor have I ever missed the ship (knock on wood!!!)🪵

How many ships in port? This last time three. The time before 5. More importantly than how many ships in port, the top consideration is when all of them are departing. It's so much easier to walk down if you are mobile, it is not a difficult walk.

3 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I do DIY exciting long day excursions all over the world, and I certainly don't speak 100 languages,... I've never had an issue with language nor have I ever missed the ship (knock on wood!!!)🪵

How many ships in port? This last time three. The time before 5. More importantly than how many ships in port, the top consideration is when all of them are departing. It's so much easier to walk down if you are mobile, it is not a difficult walk.

Did you step on any donkey poo on your way down? This is the major complaint most people have on walking down. Sure if you're careful and mobile it can be done but who wants to do this in the extreme heat on most summer days in Santorini?

• Haha 1

I would certainly take a look at private tours recommended in the Ports of Call boards.  I understand being more nervous about it, but it generally comes in cheaper, with more tailored experiences, that have fewer people.  Sometimes the big busses from the cruiseline can't even get through some of the cities or near enough to see what you'd want.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Did you step on any donkey poo on your way down? This is the major complaint most people have on walking down. Sure if you're careful and mobile it can be done but who wants to do this in the extreme heat on most summer days in Santorini?

Nope didn't step on any. It's easy to step aside, like walking down a street or in a park here in North America... it's that simple.

• Like 1