just off the Marina

seapointer

This was our first Oceania cruise, and the ship was taking its second sailing after a 3 week drydock, so expectations were high. Unfortunately, Oceania cut back on the scope of the improvements that had been promised when we booked. I think this was a short sighted mistake as the veranda level cabins were not updated and are on the verge of slipping below luxury status. These cabins will have to be addressed in the near future, particularly the cramped bathrooms.

Entertainment was a mixed bag. The  ship troupe put on standard cruise ship shows and they had pleasant voices but mediocre dancing. We saw 2 headliner singers who were pretty good.
On the claim of having the best cuisine at sea, Marina did not live up to that claim as the Grand Dining Room frequently disappointed us.  Portion size was erratic, food temperature was cold or lukewarm especially at breakfast, Thankfully, the 4 specialty restaurants were excellent. 
  The bottom line is that we have had better experiences on Crystal and Celebrity Retreat.  Nevertheless, we did enjoy the cruise which had stellar service, beautiful public spaces, good excursions, lack of any crowds or congestion, and excellent specialty restaurants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, seapointer said:

particularly the cramped bathrooms.

You can not be serious!

Have you seen an R ship bathroom? 

We all have our points of view, but frankly I find it hard to see any credibility here if you think a Veranda bathroom on an O ship is cramped. What are you comparing this to? You mentioned Celebrity Retreat, they have quite a few levels of rooms. 

• Like 2

I believe the OP was looking forward to the new bathrooms on Marina that were initially part of the dry dock....the updating of the A cabins and below was dropped when they changed to adding Aquamar and updating Waves area.   This disappointment perhaps affected their review...

Edited by basor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My DW solved that one for me, she gave her Full approval to booking a Penthouse on our upcoming Marina TA in November. Actually we are doing a ship swap B2B on Riviera just prior and so we will tour one of her Veranda Bathrooms and compare it to Marina’s. Since the stateroom is the same amount of square feet,I am sure it is an issue of design and arrangement. It is a bummer the staterooms were not completed as planned but that faux pax should not cause the cruise experience to fail, at least IMHO. 
While we have never been on Crystal to sail, only one time to view a friends stateroom when we a were in the same port with them, that bathroom was nothing special. As for an X Retreat stateroom, we have only been on X in Aqua Class and that was not special either. Win some lose some I guess. 

Wish you the best in the future however and enjoy your cruise experiences on O or other lines.

Mauibabes

There is an ugly truth about cruise ships;.  While cabin bathrooms can be updated, they cannot be enlarged without major ship rennovations...which does not happen (except when cabins are repurposed as suites).  The R ships are well known for their tiny cabin bathrooms.  For whatever reason, O did not learn it's lesson and continued with small baths on the Marina.  On the new Vista, cabin baths were made a lot larger and compete, with baths on some of the luxury ships.

We made no secret that we enjoyed our cruise on the Vista, which was our first O cruise.  One reason why we had never cruised on O was that we did not want to book those tiny R ship baths (we cruised those ships when they were still with Renaissance) at O prices.  Our feeling remains the same in that we will only consider O on the Vista or upcoming Allura.  Many O fans do not get it, but this cruiser looks at overall value. And will not pay O prices for budget cruise line cabin baths.

Hank

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There is an ugly truth about cruise ships;.  While cabin bathrooms can be updated, they cannot be enlarged without major ship rennovations...which does not happen (except when cabins are repurposed as suites).  The R ships are well known for their tiny cabin bathrooms.  For whatever reason, O did not learn it's lesson and continued with small baths on the Marina.  On the new Vista, cabin baths were made a lot larger and compete, with baths on some of the luxury ships.

We made no secret that we enjoyed our cruise on the Vista, which was our first O cruise.  One reason why we had never cruised on O was that we did not want to book those tiny R ship baths (we cruised those ships when they were still with Renaissance) at O prices.  Our feeling remains the same in that we will only consider O on the Vista or upcoming Allura.  Many O fans do not get it, but this cruiser looks at overall value. And will not pay O prices for budget cruise line cabin baths.

Hank

While you usually get it right the bathrooms on the O ships are in no way small. Apparently we need Meow with her tape measure to give us measurements. They’re big enough to have a tub and shower, which was later viewed as a mistake except for a minority of people. On the Riviera, which was updated, they put the shower where the tub was and cabinet where the shower was. 

O class veranda minus balcony is 242 sq ft. Vista is 250. Not much difference. I would like to see measurements of the bathrooms. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

While you usually get it right the bathrooms on the O ships are in no way small. Apparently we need Meow with her tape measure to give us measurements. They’re big enough to have a tub and shower, which was later viewed as a mistake except for a minority of people. On the Riviera, which was updated, they put the shower where the tub was and cabinet where the shower was. 

O class veranda minus balcony is 242 sq ft. Vista is 250. Not much difference. I would like to see measurements of the bathrooms. 

When it comes to the "R" ships I do have it right.  With the Marina, we only know what some O fans have told us.  But recently, when on the Vista and we asked some others about the Marina they said, while slightly larger than the R ships they were still not up to the competition.  Our next cruise is on the Seabourn Encore, where the normal bathrooms in a regular balcony suite, have a full size tub, shower, double sink, and plenty of space.  

While we are prepared to admit we are wrong about the Marina (we actually had booked an 18 day cruise on that ship until O decided to completely revamp the itinerary less than 3 weeks before embarkation).  As to the R ships, our history with those vessels' pre-dates Ocenania.  When new, the R ships were fine.  But we have grown old and so has the design of the R ship bathrooms.

Hank

• Like 1

Just one of my reasons for booking new ships, no matter the cruise line.  I haven’t cruised yet on Vista, but booked a suite with earplugs; actually, I am bringing those onboard.  If I like it, along with my DH, I might just book Allura, but time will tell.  Admitting to myself that I was fussy about my cabins/suites made me pay a nickel more to go first class...yes, I am definitely reaching, but also not a spring chicken, yet quite spry indeed🤷‍♀️.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Just one of my reasons for booking new ships, no matter the cruise line.  I haven’t cruised yet on Vista, but booked a suite with earplugs; actually, I am bringing those onboard.  If I like it, along with my DH, I might just book Allura, but time will tell.  Admitting to myself that I was fussy about my cabins/suites made me pay a nickel more to go first class...yes, I am definitely reaching, but also not a spring chicken, yet quite spry indeed🤷‍♀️.  

When we went on the Vista, we had read all the posts about the soundproofing issues in the cabins.  We had a normal OT cabin, and in 35 days, never had any issues with sound from our neighbors.  I do remember one afternoon (shower time) barely hearing the TV from next door, but we never had any issues during sleep time.  Some others we met on the ship told us of noisy neighbors, but it was not our experience.

We also heard a rumor (onboard) that there were technicians coming aboard in July, that were supposed to put some soundproofing material in the walls (bulkheads) between the cabins.  We posted this as part of our "live blog" back in April, but do not know if this is fact or fancy.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

When it comes to the "R" ships I do have it right.  With the Marina, we only know what some O fans have told us.  But recently, when on the Vista and we asked some others about the Marina they said, while slightly larger than the R ships they were still not up to the competition. 

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the R ships. I'm quite aware of the limitations of the bathrooms of all the rooms below PH on those ships. I was speaking strictly to the O ships. Whoever told you slightly larger was completely off base. I've been in all of them, so I've had a little experience with them. 

While cramped might be a fair description it is no way small. Apparently some people's preference doesn't see it that way. The refurbished layout is better, depending on your opinion on tubs. I personally haven't been in a tub almost 30 years, so I could care less about them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ORV said:

You can not be serious!

We all have our points of view, but frankly I find it hard to see any credibility here if you think a Veranda bathroom on an O ship is cramped. What are you comparing this to? You mentioned Celebrity Retreat, they have quite a few levels of rooms. 

Every Celebrity retreat cabin bath is more spacious than those in an O class ship category A or below. However I do agree, that all bathrooms on O class ships are decent sized except the unremodeled Marina showers are a bit cramped. LOL, unless you are very thin, impossible to bend down and pick up a bar of soap off the floor without opening the shower door.

11 minutes ago, edgee said:

Every Celebrity retreat cabin bath is more spacious than those in an O class ship category A or below. However I do agree, that all bathrooms on O class ships are decent sized except the unremodeled Marina showers are a bit cramped. LOL, unless you are very thin, impossible to bend down and pick up a bar of soap off the floor without opening the shower door.

Are they at a comparable price point? But to be fair don't you have to compare at least a PH on Oceania to those suites in the Retreat?

And here's the thing about those Un-remodeled showers in the Marina, if they are too small for you then use the one in the tub, lot's of room there. While the shower itself might be on the small side the bathroom itself is not small. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 3

It also seems we have two discussions here. There is the bathroom size, and then there is the original O Class A category and down shower size. I was referring to bathroom size, not the size of the shower on the non-refurbished Marina rooms. 

I think it’s also two categories of cruisers over here. One category cruise for the experience on the ships with large bathrooms and spacious cabins. The other while also appreciate luxury features that small cruise ships can offer put the cruise destinations and ability to visit some interesting ports and faraway places first. Everything else including bathrooms is the second.

• Like 3

We've been on Marina. It's been a couple of years since our last voyage on her so I can't speak to the state of the original cabin bathrooms.

We are itinerary driven cruisers, sailing two to three times a year, but for the life of us we just didn't find a 2023, 2024 or 2025 cruise on anything but a R class that made us book. So we put up with the bathrooms.

Life is full of trade offs. We're just glad to be at sea, except for my DH's dislike of trans Atlantics and 4 sea days in a row....but that's just him!!!

5 hours ago, ORV said:

Since I am not on a ship with my built in tape measure (my fingers span a reliable 8"), I went to the O schematics to see how the Marina and Vista bathrooms compare. The perception of size may be due to the shape...Marina is more square than Vista, plus the tiny shower is probably perceived as wasted space (although my spouse and I found it handy to be able to shower at the same time); I was hoping the tiny shower would become a 2nd sink on Riviera. Marina is the top schematic and Vista is the bottom; the viewing angles aren't the same, but it gives a good idea of the bathroom sizes.

image.png.19c604556ed24f245f3a8ca38037bf3b.png

• Like 1

Regular veranda cabin comparison.

Vista and Marina have lots of space. It’s how that space is used that makes the difference. 
My favorite ship has been and still is the Marina. Most recent cruise on Marina was in May. Vista is very nice. Most recent cruise was in January.  We stayed in same category cabin B on both ships.  When I booked the May cruise, I had expected the refit on Marina to include all cabins.  

Vista is new. Cabin and bathroom are very good. Vista shower is huge. there is no tub.  It’s more room than needed for one person. Vista bathroom has lots of drawer space. It is great for storing stuff. The layout is affected by the closet placement. I hang wet clothes in the shower.  If I use the shower, I remove the clothes and rehang after the shower. Closet in the entry hallway is small.  The doors open out. Access is very good. the drawer space is very limited.  furnishings are good with the exception of the desk chair.  Chair is extremely low and not comfortable. 

Marina standard cabins were not redone as previously suggested. The only new thing in our cabin was the carpeting. Marina bathroom is a square shape with lots of room. The layout is excellent.  Many people think that having a separate shower and tub is luxurious.  Some people view the tub as a waste of space.  The separate shower is small, but adequate.  If you drop soap, you cannot bend to pick it up. I always put 2 bars of soap in the shower.On all Marina cruises, I use the tub space to hang wet clothes. Once in awhile I use the tub shower. There is no chest of drawers. Storage consists of 3 small shelves near the shower and 2 small cabinets on either side of the sink. There is one very tiny drawer. Marina closet is next to the bed. Some people found this location hard to access. It is larger than the closet on Vista. Marina has good drawer space next to the closet.  The sliding doors limit access. The furnishings in the cabin are very nice. The desk area has very useful space with drawers and space to place things. Drawers are deep. They are excellent for storing folded clothing. My spouse uses the drawers near the closet. The desk chair is good.  While there may be some signs of wear, overall the cabin is very good.  

I enjoyed both cruises. I was comfortable in both cabins.  

The refit on Marina in public spaces was very good.  Adding Aquamar kitchen and Waves pizza was most welcome.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

……Marina standard cabins were not redone as previously suggested. The only new thing in our cabin was the carpeting…..

The refit on Marina in public spaces was very good.  Adding Aquamar kitchen and Waves pizza was most welcome.  

We were on the same Marina cruise as you and I now wonder if the refit was an ‘as and when’ refit. We were in an A veranda and we definitely had newly recovered cushion covers and dressing table chair. The curtains (drapes) also looked new to me, but the carpet definitely wasn’t! 

But I do agree that Waves pizza and the  Aquamar Kitchen are good additions. More choice can’t be a bad thing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Chair is extremely low and not comfortable

We commented on that in the mid-cruise survey. Handed the survey in mid-morning. When we went back to the cabin after lunch, it had been replaced with something higher. Full marks for customer service.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harters said:

We commented on that in the mid-cruise survey. Handed the survey in mid-morning. When we went back to the cabin after lunch, it had been replaced with something higher. Full marks for customer service.

These are the types of details I love, due to those small things that make a difference.  I am 5’1”, so this is very helpful for me.  

~Thanks!😀

On 6/26/2024 at 3:36 PM, ORV said:

You can not be serious!

I should have been specific that I was referring to the shower stall, Overall the bathroom was small but well designed.

2 minutes ago, seapointer said:

I should have been specific that I was referring to the shower stall, Overall the bathroom was small but well designed.

As has been discussed in the last day or so here that is definitely valid, but also the shower in the tub is an option. It is unfortunate that Marina didn't get the same room updates as Riviera. Probably even more unfortunate is that they didn't go that route back in 2008 or 09 when these ships were being designed and built.