Dining room dress code

DB2VA

22 hours ago, DB2VA said:

-We have been on many cruises and my husband likes to wear dress shorts and a polo type shirt to dinner on the non dressy nights. Am disappointed that this is not allowed, but wearing jeans are.  Does Celebrity enforce the rule?

Other than the 1st (and sometimes last) nights, they do enforce.

DH is like your husband & would prefer to wear a polo & shorts as well but got him some of these pants: 

https://www.32degrees.com/collections/mens-pants/products/mens-stretch-woven-pant

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Where we are from, hats/ caps are not worn by men indoors...even kids..  wear them backwards or not but removed indoors. Issue is always where to put them..

In Fla many men wear shorts out to dinner...but not at fancy restaurants..where pants are the rule..

Celeb dress code is loose enough that  most everyone can comply!

i know of a place that the rude folks that wear hats/caps indoors can put them...just show some class and respect for others even if you have none yourself.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I am trying to figure out what are dress shorts 😁

Is there a dress baseball cap?

Yes. A baseball cap like the kind I wear that has no logo is a dress baseball cap 😀 If it has a logo it is not a dress hat. 😆

I guess now someone who can't read will post that I am okay with wearing hats in the MDR  😎

Edited by Charles4515
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

dress hat

Camilla%20Parker%20Bowles%20Best%20Fascinators%201.jpg

Here in Texas some men were cowboy hats. Expensive hats. I don’t wear them for two reasons. No where to put them if I take it off in a restaurant and it would be cultural appropriation….a baseball cap can be easily stashed and I usually wear caps here because it is quite brightly sunny. A big wide brimmed hat would be better. 

11 hours ago, George C said:

Is someone thinking that there was a baseball game starting that they need a baseball cap , definitely should be not allowed in dinning room , possibly hiding bald spots 😁😁

Might want to re-read my original response; it was Elite breakfast, not dinner where shorts and tee shirts were fine.  I took my hat off and kept it in my lap but personally did not consider it a big deal to wear it. 

1 minute ago, IDL said:

Might want to re-read my original response; it was Elite breakfast, not dinner where shorts and tee shirts were fine.  I took my hat off and kept it in my lap but personally did not consider it a big deal to wear it. 

I have probably worn my hat to the Elite breakfast. It is a pretty casual there. Don't wear shorts to the Elegant Tea event. It is an afternoon event so we were not thinking. We had to go back to our cabin and change. 😀

5 minutes ago, IDL said:

My mistake, maitre d at Luminae questioned my having a shirt without sleeves during breakfast but wasn’t told to change it . 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Here in Texas some men were cowboy hats. Expensive hats. I don’t wear them for two reasons. No where to put them if I take it off in a restaurant and it would be cultural appropriation….a baseball cap can be easily stashed and I usually wear caps here because it is quite brightly sunny. A big wide brimmed hat would be better. 

If you wear a cowboy hat,  don't you have to bring your haws.?

On 6/28/2024 at 2:01 PM, cruisetonowhere10 said:

DH is a shorts guy (never really cold) so for our upcoming Alaskan cruise I’m packing him designer jeans with polos for regular nights in the MDR and black dress pants with a dress shirt (plus two different ties) for chic night.  One pair of dress shoes that are brown but what black highlights (hard to explain) to work with both.  He won’t love the long pant scenario but he’ll wear whatever is provided 😂

ties are not required if that helps

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The question was asked what jobs men have who wear shorts. Since I don’t have a job and live in a region with a warm climate shorts is what I normally wear. I always wear long pants to the MDR in the evening. I never said I wear shorts or want to wear shorts. I don’t think anyone should wear shorts in the MDR but I don’t care if they do. If they are comfortable wearing shorts for whatever reason it doesn’t bother me. I don’t care if Celebrity asks men not to wear shorts and they wear shorts. I don’t care if Celebrity allows the men in the MDR who they asked to wear long pants or does not allow them in. That is not my business. I am not going to worry about it. 

Fair enough. Sorry if I seemed to be singling you out.  Not sure why you answered the questioned when you clearly don’t care…and clearly I care too much 😁

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, the penguins said:

ties are not required if that helps

I haven’t even taken a tie on a cruise since Covid , dockers and a colorful short sleeve shirt, sketchers are only shoes , don’t pack socks either . I took a tux on every cruise from 1985 to 2019, times they are a changing. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I am trying to figure out what are dress shorts 😁

Is there a dress baseball cap?

hbna50487720_404_350.webp.87b3a79bc74521078d4683f994e8cc42.webp

Hugo Boss shorts for example, which cost more than most of the tacky jeans or chinos that some people here want to promote as being the only acceptable attire.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

hbna50487720_404_350.webp.87b3a79bc74521078d4683f994e8cc42.webp

Hugo Boss shorts for example, which cost more than most of the tacky jeans or chinos that some people here want to promote as being the only acceptable attire.

The cost of the clothing is irrelevant.  What matters is that Celebrity has what they prefer the attire to be, we can like it, hate it, agree with it or not, but they ask us to abide by it.  What anyone else wears has zero impact on me and I don't care.  I don't care if they follow it or not, if the maitre'd allows them in, oh well, my dinner will still tatse the same and I'll enjoy the dining room as always.  Just for me, it personally makes sense to follow what they have requested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I haven’t even taken a tie on a cruise since Covid , dockers and a colorful short sleeve shirt, sketchers are only shoes , don’t pack socks either . I took a tux on every cruise from 1985 to 2019, times they are a changing. 

I haven't worn a tie (formal wear) on a Celebrity cruise since 2016 when Celebrity first introduced the evening chic suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening.  On RC, 2017 was the last time we packed formal wear. 

• Like 2

Here's the thing about this endless circular topic, it doesn't take long for the pitch fork mob to start saying "go somewhere else if you don't like the rules" or the tired trope of "just put your big boy pants on and follow the rules".  However, it has been my experience, thankfully, that the people who comment on this site are usually not representative of the typical Celebrity customer.

Why is it that accountability for maintaining decorum in the MDR only rests with the men on board?  I've seen many women wear a dress or skirt so short that it barely qualifies as an article of clothing, yet no one bats an eye.  But let a man show a little knee below his "dress shorts" and the hysteria around how this will be the start of anarchy in the dining room is over the top. It's the hypocrisy of this double standard that is the most galling.

• Like 2

Bottom line, it doesn't matter what others opinions here are on CC. Only the staff member at the entrance to the MDR has the call what's allowed if she/he elects to do so. I'd like to say I've never heard anyone on a ship make a comment out loud what others are wearing, but have! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1