Future Cruise Book Later Deposit - non refundable?

MattnTricia

We were on the Reflection in February and are going on the Ascent in November. 

Our Future Cruise Deposit 6 month window ends in a few months that we got on the Reflection. 

We were told when we booked it that it was refundable if we couldn't use it. 

Celebrity has now pulled out of he SoCal market  and we already have anoher cruise booked with Princess for February.

When we called to have the deposit refunded we are told that there has been a change and these are now non refundable. 

Any suggestions as the actual certificates and even the website now don't have any details on refunds for these. 

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Edited by MattnTricia

We did call and a very confused lady said the rules for these changed in 2024.

They told us it was refundable on the ship - apparently they were referencing book now or just wrong. 

What happens if we don't book within 6 months?  I know we  lose the bonus credit portion of the deposit but  do we lose the whole deposit also?

Any suggestions on how to proceed? What happens if we book a refundable cruise and then cancel?  is the Future Cruise Deposit forfeited?

Not a massive deal but we have 2 other cruises already booked and are struggling with the high pricing to select our next one with Celebrity prior to the 6 month window. 

Edited by MattnTricia

What is the wording regarding deposit on your verification from the ship? If there is no indication that it is refundable, then you are  probably stuck with non-refundable. Thus, if you do not book anything or book something and then cancel it,  you will lose the deposit amount either way. 

I purchased two @$100 each in Dec 2024, was told they were refundable within 12 months.  I used them both when I booked a B2B in March for  April 2025, now intend to cancel both of those cruises and will request the refund.  I will report back here once I do so and share my results.

3 hours ago, MattnTricia said:

We did call and a very confused lady said the rules for these changed in 2024.

They told us it was refundable on the ship - apparently they were referencing book now or just wrong. 

What happens if we don't book within 6 months?  I know we  lose the bonus credit portion of the deposit but  do we lose the whole deposit also?

Any suggestions on how to proceed? What happens if we book a refundable cruise and then cancel?  is the Future Cruise Deposit forfeited?

Not a massive deal but we have 2 other cruises already booked and are struggling with the high pricing to select our next one with Celebrity prior to the 6 month window. 

I believe earlier threads regarding this subject have said with deposits purchased in 2024, they are now non refundable and can only be used on non refundable deposit bookings and you will lose entire deposit if not used. These restrictions will not work for me, so I do not anticipate buying any unless there is a cruise I know I want to book while on board.

So you will not be able to use on a refundable deposit booking.

I think it is unfortunate if you were not informed of the NEW policy or the future cruise department gave you misinformation.

2 hours ago, Liao said:

I purchased two @$100 each in Dec 2024, was told they were refundable within 12 months.  I used them both when I booked a B2B in March for  April 2025, now intend to cancel both of those cruises and will request the refund.  I will report back here once I do so and share my results.

I assume you meant you purchased in December 2023, if so, then the deposits should still be refundable under the previous rules of getting the bonus OBC if booked within 6 months and refunded if not used in 12 months.

Also assume you booked your March/April with refundable deposit fare? Celebrity offers 2 pricing structures, so you could have your your ‘refundable future deposit’ on a non refundable deposit FARE? 

23 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I assume you meant you purchased in December 2023, if so, then the deposits should still be refundable under the previous rules of getting the bonus OBC if booked within 6 months and refunded if not used in 12 months.

Also assume you booked your March/April with refundable deposit fare? Celebrity offers 2 pricing structures, so you could have your your ‘refundable future deposit’ on a non refundable deposit FARE? 

we bought one in March.  6 months deadline to book and NR.  You used to have 12 months and refundable.   system benefits X

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MattnTricia said:

Our Future Cruise Deposit 6 month window ends in a few months that we got on the Reflection. 

Celebrity has now pulled out of he SoCal market  and we already have anoher cruise booked with Princess for February.

When we called to have the deposit refunded we are told that there has been a change and these are now non refundable. 

Any suggestions as the actual certificates and even the website now don't have any details on refunds for these. 

You would have received an email when you purchased the certificate. The T&C’s are at the bottom of that email. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

6 hours ago, MattnTricia said:

If you purchased it prior to the change you are grandfathered by the terms in place when you booked it.    The one I have says if I don't book by 1 year that it will be refunded in the form of original purchase.

If you purchased it after the change then you would loose your deposit.

• Like 1

I personally believe that Celebrity is again intentionally shooting themselves in the foot.    After the change to the policy I will no long be purchasing them.    Actually we have pretty much decided to discontinue booking anything with Celebrity after 24 years of exclusively sailing Celebrity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I personally believe that Celebrity is again intentionally shooting themselves in the foot.    After the change to the policy I will no long be purchasing them.    Actually we have pretty much decided to discontinue booking anything with Celebrity after 24 years of exclusively sailing Celebrity. 

Why

58 minutes ago, ohiolovescrusing said:

We did this on our recent May cruise.  Non-refundable deposits of $100 pp.  We were told 6 months to get the onboard booking bonus.  Another 6 months to book w o booking bonus.  Lost if not used within a year.

@Norwayladyis currently doing a live and posted the Future cruise deposit form.

It specifies 6 month window to book to get bonus OBC and if not used in 12 months, you lose it.

So for those who want to see the current form, check out this thread.

I’m not seeing what the big fuss is on this issue. First they changed it so the deposit paid is lost after 12 months if the certificate went unused. That change briefly left a loophole that allowed you move your cruise to a refundable rate, then turn around and immediately cancel and get all of your deposit back. Now the certificate still forfeits the deposit paid after 12 months but they have closed the loophole. You can only use the certificate on non-refundable rates. 

You can still book a cruise onboard under essentially the old terms. Just pick a refundable rate from the beginning. Or just don’t buy a certificate if you don’t really know you will use it. Or have someone onboard buy one for you when you are ready to book. 

Edited by paulh84
  • Like 1

Bottom line for anyone considering a book later certificate:  Its likely not a good deal since the OBC would not exceed the amount of discounts a certain big box membership store or, perhaps a TA, will provide, and there's no potential that Celebrity will provide anything to someone booking through them that is greater than the OBC.  The membership store even allows booking online, has the same exact prices, and can avoid having to call Celebrity to use the certificate that nets less value.  Plus, if one doesn't use the certificate within a year it becomes forfeited even if none of the available inventory is acceptable.  It's a scam and abusive business practice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Bottom line for anyone considering a book later certificate:  Its likely not a good deal since the OBC would not exceed the amount of discounts a certain big box membership store or, perhaps a TA, will provide, and there's no potential that Celebrity will provide anything to someone booking through them that is greater than the OBC.  The membership store even allows booking online, has the same exact prices, and can avoid having to call Celebrity to use the certificate that nets less value.  Plus, if one doesn't use the certificate within a year it becomes forfeited even if none of the available inventory is acceptable.  It's a scam and abusive business practice.

And they can and will change the rules at a whim.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MattnTricia said:

We were told today non refundable after 6 months as an FYI.  No where on the certificate they gave us, the email they sent us to confirm does it have the refund policy.  

Your email doesn’t have a PDF attached? That’s where the info lies. I have probably a dozen+ emails going back several years and they all have a PDF with the terms listed. 

18 hours ago, Liao said:

The certificates were refundable if purchased in Dec 2023 - in other words you will be refunded the $100pp. When you then booked the cruise in March 2024 did you pay the NR rate or the Refundable rate? That info is on your booking conformation under booking charges. If it says NRD I doubt they will refund your deposit.

15 hours ago, gators70 said:

Why

The main reason is we are no longer sailing Celebrity exclusively and I mostly book 2 to 3 years out.   I would often purchase multiple certificates in order to book future cruises that had not yet been released.    The last batch I purchased I still have 4 left - luckily I will get a refund.

10 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Not sure how that Big Box works but I use a Travel agent and would book on-board or buy a certificate.   I would transfer the certificate to the Travel Agent and he would stack the Book on Board Discount/OBC and give his Perk as an upfront discount or an OBC.    I really don't think it's a scam it's a choice.

I like the Big Box store but would never be able to spend the amount at the store.

The terms an condistions are oviously different form country to country.

We are from Germany and can share the following information:

We booked 2 "cuise later later" future cruise credits during our cruise on the Infinity  in March 2024.

The written confirmation in german we received via mail states, that the deposit will be refunded if we do not book within 6 monts. Here the relevant information is Nr. 3 "Verfall".

image.thumb.png.3e209c2c9f5cca65d52e47e64c56e2cc.png