Safety in Mexico

hey bird, i'd try and avoid florida, regardless of the shootings.

in today's world, unfortunately, the news of shootings and violence anywhere has unfortunately become almost common place. i had my cell phone stolen in a brazilian port, my wife had hers pick pocketed in barcelona.

some jerk wanted to pick a fight with me in key west, because i was standing near where he was trying to sell his ridiculous woven grass hats.

havent been there in a few years, but i always loved cozumel, and made sure i took the tour to the ruins in tulum.  people now go missing all over the world, never to be seen or heard from again.

if i'm not getting off at a designated port, it's only because of lack of interest, not fear of danger.

if you're going to be worried, may as well stay locked up in your own home.

if you've booked/paid for a cruise, go, sail, and most of all enjoy

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

From the link you posted:

Guerrero state – Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime.

Crime and violence are widespread. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers. U.S. citizens and LPRs have been victims of kidnapping in previous years.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Crime and violence are widespread. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers. U.S. citizens and LPRs have been victims of kidnapping in previous years.

My apologies--I looked through that list twice & would have sworn I didn't see it...

My lack of sleep is showing...

That specifically says US employees cannot go to Acapulco...I do find it odd that cruise ships are choosing to go there.

When we stopped in Mazatlan some years ago there had been some issues; we chose to stay in the gated port area for a few hours (nice outdoor bar w/ music) but ventured no further.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KKB said:

My apologies--I looked through that list twice & would have sworn I didn't see it...

My lack of sleep is showing...

It's not exactly fair. 

You have to click on Mexico.

Scroll down the page to Mexican States that list do not travel restrictions. 

Unless you click into Mexico, you won't see it. 

Direct link to Mexico: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Then, click on Guerrero State. 

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's not exactly fair. 

You have to click on Mexico.

Scroll down the page to Mexican States that list do not travel restrictions. 

Unless you click into Mexico, you won't see it. 

Direct link to Mexico: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Then, click on Guerrero State. 

That's the issue--I did!!🫠

Time for caffeine...or a nap!!

• Haha 1

njhorseman. problem is, it's easier said then done. one can never be certain of what ports will be safe at any given time, unless you think like engrjones and only choose alaska or hawaii. 

like i said before, some moron in key west wanted to fight me because i was on his "turf" i was on the sidewalk in front of starbucks, waiting for my wife and her sister to get a cup of coffee

so, one never knows. meanwhile, i never book a cruise out of safety concerns. for me it's price and itinerary, and i'm all set to go. we're on the prima from iceland to southampton this sept, and we're looking at the 21 day sky, lisbon to capetown in  nov, or even buenas aries to falkland islands in jan.

"sail on, sail on sailor"

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, hallux said:

Were you on the cruise starting in Miami or LA?  I embarked in Miami, we had TV cameras covering our arrival.

I did the same tour, it was amazing!  I had the same feeling.

I was on your same cruise, second ship visit to Acapulco since the hurricane.

As awesome as it is to travel the Panama Canal, I think I rank Acapulco as one of the most meaningful days on the cruise.  Seeing the devastation of the landscape and the resilience of the people, and contributing to their recovery by bringing tourist $ just warmed my heart.

Mexico overall - I walked the port area in Puerto Vallarta alone, I walked much of Mazatlan on my own.  Never really felt unsafe.

I was on the trip from LA to Miami! The locals were so happy to see a ship come in and spending money as many hotels are still uninhabitable. 

I agree, it was amazing to see how excited they were to have tourist back and the turtle centre was happy to see some money coming in from the cruises. I loved my time there and the locals waving us off was so lovely. 

Edited by DominicAUS
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

But,,, it is still like saying that the whole state of Florida is corrupt and unsafe because there are "bad parts" with high crime rates. Cruise ship shore excursions are not being ambushed and people being taken hostage. The tourist areas at the port are safe, except for the normal petty crime that is anywhere that tourist are at. Only you lose out if you hide in your cabin. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

But,,, it is still like saying that the whole state of Florida is corrupt and unsafe because there are "bad parts" with high crime rates. Cruise ship shore excursions are not being ambushed and people being taken hostage. The tourist areas at the port are safe, except for the normal petty crime that is anywhere that tourist are at. Only you lose out if you hide in your cabin. 

It's the second layer that concerns many.  If stuff happens in FLA, it's easy to get additional help from police, family, etc.  They're just a phone call away.  If stuff happens in the third world, you're screwed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EngrJones said:

It's the second layer that concerns many.  If stuff happens in FLA, it's easy to get additional help from police, family, etc.  They're just a phone call away.  If stuff happens in the third world, you're screwed.

So Mexico is now 3rd world? smh

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, zqvol said:

So Mexico is now 3rd world? smh

Now? When wasn't it? 

{for the record, this issue is not cut and dried, and I take no stand one way or the other}

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Like 1

To be fair to @zqvol, I haven't been to Mexico for decades, and I never will go back.  But, best wishes to those who decide to take the risk.  I see little comfort in the fact that there are armed troops all over the place.  I doubt they're there to control the NCL cruisers who have snuck food off the ship or taken too good advantage of the beverage package.

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

How many places have you visited that have police and military armed with automatic and semi-automatic weapons stationed on street corners in busy areas during daylight hours?

You want safety? This is preciously what safety is about. Well protected like a foreign dignitary VIP on a state visit. I wouldn't want it any other way. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

You want safety? This is preciously what safety is about. Well protected like a foreign dignitary VIP on a state visit. I wouldn't want it any other way. 

Wow.  This is really something!!  Was this sarcasm??  (I'm guessing, "yes")🤣

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

Wow.  This is really something!!  Was this sarcasm??  (I'm guessing, "yes")🤣

Hi EngrJones.  Could you please let us know details about your recent sailings with NCL?

The pros, the cons, on a specific ship, and/or sailing dates?

Thanks.

Edited by cruiser1961

4 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Since you’re more likely to get into an accident while driving to the cruise terminal, perhaps don’t get on the cruise ship in the first place?

Or, even better yet, only get on a cruise ship that travels to first world ports! 😎

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cruiser1961 said:

Hi EngrJones.  Could you please let us know details about your recent sailings with NCL?

The pros, the cons, on a specific ship, and/or sailing dates?

Thanks.

I need some context here.  Why are you asking me for this information?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my favorite shore of excursions of all time was with 'Tour by Van' in Acapulco.  They get 5 star ratings on Trip Advisor. Some people never got off the ship because they were so worried about crime. If we hadn't gone on this tour I would never had the chance to release baby sea turtles, watch the cliff divers, go to the witchcraft market and feel completely safe and looked after. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, littlegit said:

One of my favorite shore of excursions of all time was with 'Tour by Van' in Acapulco.  They get 5 star ratings on Trip Advisor. Some people never got off the ship because they were so worried about crime. If we hadn't gone on this tour I would never had the chance to release baby sea turtles, watch the cliff divers, go to the witchcraft market and feel completely safe and looked after. 

One of my favorite shore excursions of all time was a Bob Marley bus in Ochos Rios, Jamaica, another port where many passengers stay onboard.

In addition to the great music, we got to see a part of Jamaica that tourists usually do not see. And like you, we felt completely safe and looked after.

• Like 1