Sanctuary

I’m on an Alaskan Cruise on the Crown Princess. How can I book the Sanctuary in advance?  I don’t see the option on my booking. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

5 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’m on an Alaskan Cruise on the Crown Princess. How can I book the Sanctuary in advance?  I don’t see the option on my booking. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

You can't.

Book in person at the sanctuary entrance upon boarding. 

• Like 1

Do not stop at your cabin. Do not stop at a bar. Don’t say hi to anyone. As soon as you get on board go up there and book your reservation. As Sarina 432 said, it sells out quickly. You’d better be the first group onboard. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, deultgen said:

sadly, even though its the year 2024, you are not able to reserve the Sanctuary in advance.

I don't believe this would really help anyone. If done in advance it just moves the 'rush' back to the time of booking. Those that book earliest have the best chance of obtaining a lounge. For many itineraries the sanctuary would probably be sold out shortly after bookings opened. The current system allows everyone a fairly equal opportunity. The Sun does have special sanctuary like areas for passengers in certain category cabins. 

• Like 3

Don’t equate the Sanctuary on the Sun to the rest of the fleet. The Sanctuary on the Sun is a suite only Sun deck like the Retreat on Celebrity. Passengers not in suites cannot pay to access this area. Well, as of October that is. 

Like with so many other things on the Sun, they really screwed themselves by calling it the Sanctuary. 

Posted (edited)

Agree....  Ever since Princess closed in, and basically took away, the adult retreat pool on the ships beginning after REGAL, Princess has continued to take away from everything that made us like Princess.

And with many over-priced SANCTUARY mini-suites going un-booked... I can see the same for those Sanctuary Cabanas.  I wonder if they will decide to make them available to other guests, at that price, instead of seeing many of them going empty.  ($$$ usually talks)

Edited by Wishing on a star

tr,  Those who are onboard beginning with the sailing before yours. (and there can be quite a few Back-2-Back cruisers on the Northbound/Southbound cruises)  will be able to book before you board.

If you are not Platinum or better Princess Status, or a suite,  then they will have priority boarding before you can board.

As mentioned...  run up there, immediately upon crossing the gangway onto the ship...  and hope for availability.  

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, skynight said:

I don't believe this would really help anyone. If done in advance it just moves the 'rush' back to the time of booking. Those that book earliest have the best chance of obtaining a lounge. For many itineraries the sanctuary would probably be sold out shortly after bookings opened. The current system allows everyone a fairly equal opportunity. The Sun does have special sanctuary like areas for passengers in certain category cabins. 

Well, Princess is able to take reservations which moves the rush to some time prior to the cruise with most other things.  Because of the reservation system, those who book early or have a high loyalty status get to choose excursions earlier than those who book while on board.  Specialty restaurants can book early so everyone does not have to "run" to the restaurants to book immediately when they board.  Spa services can be reserved ahead of time, so everyone does not have to run to the spa to get an appointment on a sea day etc. 

16 minutes ago, deultgen said:

Well, Princess is able to take reservations which moves the rush to some time prior to the cruise with most other things.  Because of the reservation system, those who book early or have a high loyalty status get to choose excursions earlier than those who book while on board.  Specialty restaurants can book early so everyone does not have to "run" to the restaurants to book immediately when they board.  Spa services can be reserved ahead of time, so everyone does not have to run to the spa to get an appointment on a sea day etc. 

All Sanctuary lounges are not created equal unlike spa appointments and restaurant reservations.  Taking reservations upon embarkation (or for B2B passengers the day before the new cruise begins) allows passengers to pick the exact location of their lounges.  As one of those who prefers or requires partial shade, I could not tolerate being in full sun which, at least in the Sanctuaries on those ships we've been on (Grand class, Royal class), is a large percentage of the lounges.  

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

All Sanctuary lounges are not created equal unlike spa appointments and restaurant reservations.  Taking reservations upon embarkation (or for B2B passengers the day before the new cruise begins) allows passengers to pick the exact location of their lounges.  As one of those who prefers or requires partial shade, I could not tolerate being in full sun which, at least in the Sanctuaries on those ships we've been on (Grand class, Royal class), is a large percentage of the lounges.  

I agree, people want to reserve a specific lounger.  My point is that it is 2024 and surely Princess could some up with a system for people to make appropriate reservations.  For us, the Sanctuary area with comfortable loungers and adults only is/was very important to us.  We are not elite and rarely take back to back cruises, so on our final 2 cruises we were unable to get any reservation in the Sanctuary.  I would say it is the primary reason we don't cruise with Princess any longer.  

6 hours ago, skynight said:

If we compare the Sanctuary to NCL's Vibe Beach Club, I think NCL moving to a pre-embarkation reservation system made things much better than the mad dash to get your passes. The big benefit to me, someone who won't sail NCL in warm climate without Vibe, is now I know when I book if I have my passes or not (and I pick a different cruise if I can't get them).

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

The concept of reserving a specific lounger is a big difference from NCL Vibe.  We too require shade - I would be nervous picking a longer while parked at the pier on embarkation day.  How can you be sure which direction the ship is travelling related to the sun location to know for sure your lounger will or won't be in shade? 

But I agree with other posters, it shouldn't be difficult to implement a pre boarding reservation system.

2 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

If we compare the Sanctuary to NCL's Vibe Beach Club, I think NCL moving to a pre-embarkation reservation system made things much better than the mad dash to get your passes. The big benefit to me, someone who won't sail NCL in warm climate without Vibe, is now I know when I book if I have my passes or not (and I pick a different cruise if I can't get them).

The concept of reserving a specific lounger is a big difference from NCL Vibe.  We too require shade - I would be nervous picking a longer while parked at the pier on embarkation day.  How can you be sure which direction the ship is travelling related to the sun location to know for sure your lounger will or won't be in shade? 

But I agree with other posters, it shouldn't be difficult to implement a pre boarding reservation system.

Having never sailed on NCL, could you explain how their reservation process works? 

Princess Sanctuary lounge layout varies by ship at least in our experience.  Some - those most forward - have at least partial shade covering; many more (again at least in our experience) have none.  The reservations mad in person allows the passengers to chose specific lounges and cabanas for the full cruise, daily - pick your day(s), and half day(s) - pick morning or afternoon.  That means you cannot change your reserved location unless the Sanctuary is empty and the manager can find you an unassigned spot. 

30 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Having never sailed on NCL, could you explain how their reservation process works? 

Vibe passes are purchased for the entire cruise and give you access to the vibe area (key card controlled.  Sun loungers are first  come first served.  Passes are limited such that everyone who has a pass is guaranteed a lounger in the event everyone shows up at the same time. 

Passes are sold online under the "entertainment" tab of the web/ap.  When Vibe passes are sold out, they will indicate sold out when you attempt to purchase.  Savvy cruisers know to keep checking for availability because people cancel, especially right around final payment date.

Just now, PATRLR said:

Vibe passes are purchased for the entire cruise and give you access to the vibe area (key card controlled.  Sun loungers are first  come first served.  Passes are limited such that everyone who has a pass is guaranteed a lounger in the event everyone shows up at the same time. 

Passes are sold online under the "entertainment" tab of the web/ap.  When Vibe passes are sold out, they will indicate sold out when you attempt to purchase.  Savvy cruisers know to keep checking for availability because people cancel, especially right around final payment date.

Thank you for the explanation.  I prefer knowing that if I'm successful getting a Sanctuary reservation for a lounge in the location I desire I do not have to get up early to claim a lounge and that I can come and go throughout the day.  My luck I would pay for the pass and then not find a suitable lounge because I don't want to get up early.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

Thank you for the explanation.  I prefer knowing that if I'm successful getting a Sanctuary reservation for a lounge in the location I desire I do not have to get up early to claim a lounge and that I can come and go throughout the day.  My luck I would pay for the pass and then not find a suitable lounge because I don't want to get up early.

If you ever end up on NCL and you do the Vibe, don't worry about finding a lounge that works for you.  It's amazing how under utilized the space is, people pay but they don't use it for some reason.  I'm a "needs shade" person and have never had a problem.  I've also not seen people claiming space earlier, other than 1 couple who claimed a round day bed in the front corner of the NCL Encore's Vibe.

I'll be on Sky in a week for my first Princess cruise.  Being in Norway, I see no need for Sanctuary.   Next summer I'll be on Sun in the Med - might want it then.

• Thanks 1