Prices have gone up.

14 hours ago, markeb said:

Probably a couple of quarters after they get debt under control. Which could be awhile...

Why would they even want to reinstate the dividend? There is no benefit to them, they are sailing full, the pricing is high, and the stock is doing nicely. If they would, I think it would still be a couple of years down the road, and it would not start at anyway near where it was when it was halted. I think it was about $3.08 per share.

23 hours ago, Goldenco said:

I assume that since Celebrity now assumes it is "upscale" it has jacked up the prices to where they are pricing us out of the market.  We are Zenith, but will look at other cruise ships such as Princess.  It’s been fun, but it's over for us.

How do you think they can continue to go on and keep pricing that you remembered 2-3 years ago, the cost of fuel, food and basically everything else has increased, not realistic to think they can turn a profit and not raise pricing.

• Like 1

Just now, grandgeezer said:

Why would they even want to reinstate the dividend? There is no benefit to them, they are sailing full, the pricing is high, and the stock is doing nicely. If they would, I think it would still be a couple of years down the road, and it would not start at anyway near where it was when it was halted. I think it was about $3.08 per share.

Why? It's a bone to investors who otherwise have to sell to recover any investment. The board is supposed to represent the shareholders. Basically you reinvest profits or your pay them (some of them) out as a dividend. I barely glanced at their 10-K this year so I don't remember what they're showing for profit or loss per share.

2 hours ago, markeb said:

Why? It's a bone to investors who otherwise have to sell to recover any investment. The board is supposed to represent the shareholders. Basically you reinvest profits or your pay them (some of them) out as a dividend. I barely glanced at their 10-K this year so I don't remember what they're showing for profit or loss per share.

Dividends…. When a stock pays a dividend, the next day the stock price drops the exact amount of the payout. That new price then is known as x-dividend. In essence they are giving you some of your money back.

The first quarter of the year RCL reported debt at $21.18 billion. Second quarter results should be out later this month. It was $11.17 billion the end of 2019.

As last report, there were 257 million shares outstanding. Would you rather have them pay a token dividend or pay off on the debt which goes up due to the interest rate it was taken out at?

On 7/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, Goldenco said:

I assume that since Celebrity now assumes it is "upscale" it has jacked up the prices to where they are pricing us out of the market.  We are Zenith, but will look at other cruise ships such as Princess.  Its been fun, but it's over for us.

If you find any place where prices aren't going up and/or services going down, please let the rest of the world know.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Dividends…. When a stock pays a dividend, the next day the stock price drops the exact amount of the payout. That new price then is known as x-dividend. In essence they are giving you some of your money back.

The first quarter of the year RCL reported debt at $21.18 billion. Second quarter results should be out later this month. It was $11.17 billion the end of 2019.

As last report, there were 257 million shares outstanding. Would you rather have them pay a token dividend or pay off on the debt which goes up due to the interest rate it was taken out at?

Did you read the first section you quoted? Of course they should pay the debt. That's what I said. I wouldn't expect a dividend for a long time. I was simply answering why they'd pay a dividend, assuming they get debt under control in the future. Maybe that wasn't clear.

I think we're violently agreeing with each other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Know the feeling I got sticker shock a couple months ago when I took the Grand Kids to McDonald's.   I had not been in one in years.  It took almost a full C note.

My teenager informed me (when I balked at the price of Jake’s Wayback Burger) that “fast food” is about convenience not about price.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, omahabob said:

If you find any place where prices aren't going up and/or services going down, please let the rest of the world know.

My home; visitors get the same quality that I pay lots more for to share🥲, but I don’t want to be a cheapo...🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 4:55 PM, booklady26 said:

We are Elite Plus and have considered X to be our favorite cruise line for many years. We do not stay in suites on any cruise line except for MSC's Yacht Club. We live in Florida and cruise 4-5 times a year to the Caribbean and don't want to spend mid 5 figures on vacations every year.

We have bitten the bullet and have paid the increased prices that all cruise lines are charging because we love to cruise. We have always felt that Celebrity offered a great product for what they charged. However, they no longer offer good value for the money. Their "always included" no longer even includes tips. Their "premium" drink package is a joke. On our last cruise in March my husband's favorite single malt scotch was no longer on the premium package and the wine selections are also dismal. They haven't changed their MDR menus in years except for giving you fewer choices than you once had. The entertainment on S-class ships has also not changed in years. The specialty restaurant prices have increased so much that I won't even use OBC to book them.

The shrinkflation has gotten to a point where we have been looking at other cruise lines, such as Princess, which offer better value for what they charge, even though those prices have also increased.

Case in point. We are booked on the Ascent for a 7 night cruise in December (not a holiday cruise). Cost for a sunset verandah is $4,107 with AI and non-refundable deposit. We will only book SV's on E-class ships because we don't like the infinite verandahs. Tips were still included in AI when it was booked. I also purchased the beverage package upgrade and specialty dining at Eden and Fine Cut last August using OBC during a very good sale and before prices were increased. Total cost for these add-ons was $340. Total cost is $4,447.

We are also booked on the new Sun Princess in November (not Thanksgiving) for 7 nights. We are in a cabana mini suite, which is a new cabin category which includes a private cabana with it's own TV, couch and table between the stateroom and the full size balcony. We have also purchased their "Princess Premium" package which includes REAL premium beverages (including husband's scotch!), tips, unlimited wifi on 4 devices per person, 2 specialty dinners per person, unlimited casual dining (sit down pizzeria, Irish pub, sushi, etc. normally subject to a $14.99 cover charge per person), unlimited digital photos and a few other little perks. The total cost for this is $3,690 with a refundable deposit. Granted, this was a freaky thing where the cost of a standard balcony was the same price when I booked it. Even if we booked the balcony, it would still be a better deal than the Ascent.

It's not about how much is charged, but what you get for your money and Celebrity is sorely lacking in value. 

I have similar cruises booked on both Celebrity and Princess.  I booked before April 23 which is when Princess announced it was changing the Sanctuary structure.  (that's a whole other issue for another time).  It was actually called Reserve Collection Mini Cabana suite.  

When did you book?

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 12:39 PM, Goldenco said:

I assume that since Celebrity now assumes it is "upscale" it has jacked up the prices to where they are pricing us out of the market.  We are Zenith, but will look at other cruise ships such as Princess.  Its been fun, but it's over for us.

ive only been in a balcony yacht club suite but the service impressed me. they have 2 larger suites for you to try as well.  i dont like the smaller room compared to all my other normal suites i stay in across other lines but the service was fantastic. so much so that i booked another bermuda cruise. for 2600 ish PP i feel im being treated very well for the price.

Edited by luckyinpa

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

My home; visitors get the same quality that I pay lots more for to share🥲, but I don’t want to be a cheapo...🤷‍♀️

Well, the rest of the world can't take advantage of that if you don't give us the address. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, duchess7 said:

I have similar cruises booked on both Celebrity and Princess.  I booked before April 23 which is when Princess announced it was changing the Sanctuary structure.  (that's a whole other issue for another time).  It was actually called Reserve Collection Mini Cabana suite.  

When did you book?

What did Princess change ?

Agreed prices are way up. They were already high and I just rechecked a few sailings and they are now absolutely stratospheric…+50% vs a month ago…perhaps Beryl fallout already? I am absolutely priced out at these rates, perceive current costs as decidedly poor value vs. non-cruise alternatives and will likely take a few years off of cruising-until and unless something changes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, duchess7 said:

When did you book?

I booked it in July 23. I believe they changed from Reserve to Sanctuary in 2024, because cabana minis on deck 9 were still Reserve when we booked. We didn't want deck 9 because the "balcony" just has a gate that separates the "balcony" from the shared deck space with other people.  No privacy. We're on deck 10 with a private cabana and balcony.

13 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What did Princess change ?

They added mini suites to the Sanctuary, took away reserve rooms, and raised the prices amongst other things.  There are a lot of videos on you tube speaking about it.  It takes effect on cruises after Oct. 14 I believe but cruises booked before April 23 are grandfathered in with the benefits that were listed at the time of booking.

Posted (edited)

Have just got off the Apex on an 11 night to Iceland. It was my first time back with Celebrity since cruising on a few Solstice Class cruises pre-pandemic. I then switched to Princess for a while. 

Not only did I see cut backs in menus, portion sizes and overall quality, the price gouging for speciality restaurants and excursions was crazy. I remember speciality costing $25-$35pp and now it's $70-$80pp for some. We ate at Fine Cut and the bill was $200! Celebrity aren't alone in this, as has been mentioned. It's across the board. 

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

My teenager informed me (when I balked at the price of Jake’s Wayback Burger) that “fast food” is about convenience not about price.

It is all about perception!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

ive only been in a balcony yacht club suite but the service impressed me. they have 2 larger suites for you to try as well.  i dont like the smaller room compared to all my other normal suites i stay in across other lines but the service was fantastic. so much so that i booked another bermuda cruise. for 2600 ish PP i feel im being treated very well for the price.

I was looking at Princess, but it looked as if drinks and wi-fi were not included in the suite prices. Is that correct?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I was looking at Princess, but it looked as if drinks and wi-fi were not included in the suite prices. Is that correct?

i havent been on princess for a while so dont know the new rules for them. but even as picky and fussy as i am about my larger cabins im dealing with the balcony in YC because the service more than made up for the larger cabin. plus getting free drinks, wifi, pool deck buffet, butler, newspaper, free fridge drink refills, fantastic YC pool deck is worth it.

as far as i know none of the older princess ships have ship within a ship concept and it really is best executed with YC .  ive been on the best suite on liberty of the seas, crown lofts and aqua theaters on oasis and 2 bedroom and courtyards on NCL and except for the fancier cabins, none achieved the level of what i enjoyed on my YC cruise.  plus YC was the cheapest suite ive ever had except one.

also when i did have an upgraded foreward facing suite, full price would have been 4K way back in 2018. but no drinks. wifi, butler. suite deck, suite buffet etc etc were available. it was literally only the cabin that was the benefit. the tiny section in the MDR they called the suite section was a laugh. same food basically and JAMMED together like everyone else. the YC restaurant is so spaced out. its fantastic. Princess cabins are definitely superior to MSC but the rest isnt

Edited by luckyinpa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i havent been on princess for a while so dont know the new rules for them. but even as picky and fussy as i am about my larger cabins im dealing with the balcony in YC because the service more than made up for the larger cabin. plus getting free drinks, wifi, pool deck buffet, butler, newspaper, free fridge drink refills, fantastic YC pool deck is worth it.

as far as i know none of the older princess ships have ship within a ship concept and it really is best executed with YC .  ive been on the best suite on liberty of the seas, crown lofts and aqua theaters on oasis and 2 bedroom and courtyards on NCL and except for the fancier cabins, none achieved the level of what i enjoyed on my YC cruise.  plus YC was the cheapest suite ive ever had except one.

also when i did have an upgraded foreward facing suite, full price would have been 4K way back in 2018. but no drinks. wifi, butler. suite deck, suite buffet etc etc were available. it was literally only the cabin that was the benefit. the tiny section in the MDR they called the suite section was a laugh. same food basically and JAMMED together like everyone else. the YC restaurant is so spaced out. its fantastic. Princess cabins are definitely superior to MSC but the rest isnt

Thanks for the information. What does YC mean?

Some kudos to MSC YC. They were early in the game with the 'ship within a ship' concept and have been consistent with their vision.  The YC that I book today will largely be the same as I experienced in the past. Prices have gone up but in a linear fashion- ( not what we experienced with X when an identical cruise in same cabin and ship increased 100% in one year). X has played a game with their Retreat product, subtracting benefits (butlers), lowering food quality(yes subjective) and inconsistend service standards on E Class ships. And , of course, playing with prices to see what the market will bear. I booked 'Sanctuary' class on Princess Sun but they already seem to be following X with rapidly changing benefits and pricing. At the end of the day, MSC, regardless of the subjective arguments over one cruise line or another, have remained generally consistent with their YC product. JMHO

20 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

yacht club on msc.

ill be comparing the service on my crazy price edge villa in november. for 5x the price of MSC i expect 5x the fantastic!

Good luck with that!  In my experience, MSC's Yacht Club beats Celebrity's Retreat except for food and service in the suite restaurants.  And I'm not a fan of sailing out of Miami on 7-night cruises which are same old, same old every week.