Beer serving size

Hey everybody,

i’m still thinking about getting the beverage package, but I’m not sure if it really fits for me.

is Royal Caribbean serving beer in 12 oz or 16 oz?

Thanks in advance

26 minutes ago, VfLRahab said:

Hey everybody,

i’m still thinking about getting the beverage package, but I’m not sure if it really fits for me.

Thanks in advance

Most International beers are 12oz.bottles. There is a rotating selection of other International beers in 11.2 fl oz bottles. US domestic beers are usually in 16 oz. cans. Fosters beer in 24.5 oz. cans. If the ship has a Playmakers they serve 16oz. pints and 60oz. pitchers. In the pubs, in addition to the others they usually have Grolsch bottles 15.2 oz. and Pilzner Urquell in 16 oz. cans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, VfLRahab said:

Hey everybody,

Thanks in advance

With basically unlimited drinks with the package, why would it even matter?

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Maybe the OP is thinking that buying a few larger beers would be all they need. Whereas if all the beers are small they might justify getting the drinks package. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Maybe the OP is thinking that buying a few larger beers would be all they need. Whereas if all the beers are small they might justify getting the drinks package. 

Exactly 🙂

just a basic calculation where the break even point is 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, footzz said:

Most International beers are 12oz.bottles. There is a rotating selection of other International beers in 11.2 fl oz bottles. US domestic beers are usually in 16 oz. cans. Fosters beer in 24.5 oz. cans. If the ship has a Playmakers they serve 16oz. pints and 60oz. pitchers. In the pubs, in addition to the others they usually have Grolsch bottles 15.2 oz. and Pilzner Urquell in 16 oz. cans. 

Post COVID most domestic beers are now served in 12 ounce cans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Post COVID most domestic beers are now served in 12 ounce cans. 

I got the twist off 16 oz cans for the miller products on my cruise in January. Hopefully that doesn't go away.

Posted (edited)

Beer prices -- my husband really pays attention to this: 

- I don't think 16-oz bottles are available on Royal Caribbean. 

- At most bars beer is $7.25 for 16-oz draft (not all bars offer draft) ... $7.99 for 12-oz bottle. 

- At Playmakers only, beer is $18 for a 60-oz pitcher (they also sell draft and bottles, but this is the best value onboard).  

- At the Pool Bar only, a Bucket of Beer costs $36 for 5 beers -- that's Heinekin; other brands may be a little more or less.

- Beer costs about a dollar more on Coco Cay.  Something to do with the VAT.  

- Johnny Rockets is often empty, and that's a good place to go in to get a beer without waiting.  They offer draft for the same price as other bars.  

- If you're a Crown-and-Anchor member, you'll receive a couple beers for 50% off, then one more (one more?) for 10% off -- my husband always uses these first, then uses my discounts.  Can you use a 50% off on a Playmaker's pitcher?  Varies by bartender.  

- Beer at the various island stops is always cheaper, so he always enjoys a couple before re-boarding.  

And don't forget to add 18% mandatory gratuity to all prices.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

Because the OP, like so many people, is trying to figure out whether the beverage package is worth the high cost.  That's why my husband keeps the figures I just shared above -- and even though he drinks pretty heavily on a cruise, we always end up spending less than the cost of the beverage package.  

• Like 3

On Anthem out of Southampton they had Old Speckled Hen and Fuller's London Pride in 500ml bottles, which is 16.9oz.  I've never seen those on US based ships.  

45 minutes ago, mil76 said:

On Anthem out of Southampton they had Old Speckled Hen and Fuller's London Pride in 500ml bottles, which is 16.9oz. 

These are in my fridge at home.  😄  I got them on the Anthem TA from Southampton to Cape Liberty.

IMG_5918.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Does anyone know how or if Diamond voucher work on pitchers in Playmakers?

They honored it in Playmakers on Oasis in Oct 2022 (came out to $5/pitcher).  I was on the Oasis again,  in Oct 2023, and they WOULDN'T allow it.  Different bar manager I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, VfLRahab said:

Exactly 🙂

just a basic calculation where the break even point is 

Every Oasis class ship Ive been on in last two years serves Red Stripe in 16oz cans. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

These are in my fridge at home.  😄  I got them on the Anthem TA from Southampton to Cape Liberty.

IMG_5918.jpg

I am an Old Speckled Hen fan and always ask when I am on cruises for it ,sometimes I get lucky but as you said no problem on the Anthem   going and coming from Cape Liberty .

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 9:46 AM, jamestown478 said:

I got the twist off 16 oz cans for the miller products on my cruise in January. Hopefully that doesn't go away.

Been on 7 cruises since January and my Miller Lite is all 12 oz cans.  It was like that on all of our cruises last year also.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

The best value for beer on board is the "Oil Can" - the 24.5oz Fosters.  

If your ship has a Playmakers (not all ships do), the best value BY FAR is a pitcher.  Of course, a pitcher comes with its own set of pros /cons.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If your ship has a Playmakers (not all ships do), the best value BY FAR is a pitcher.  Of course, a pitcher comes with its own set of pros /cons.  

Yes, if you are sharing with a couple others as it gets warm half way thru.  

I like my beer ice cold, so I bring small plastic fold up cooler with me along with a couple quart freezer bags.  I have the bartender fill the bags with ice, and I place the "oil can" in between the two bags of ice to keep it cold after I pour my first glass.  😄