Medical exemption for drinks package

Has anyone been successful in getting agreement for two people to have a different drinks package due to one of them being unable to drink for medical reasons. 

i rang customer services today to ask if it was possible and was told I needed to submit a Drs letter and the powers that be will consider it and make a decision. I asked if the letter needed to say anything specific but he was very vague and said he couldn’t say. I spoke to our surgery and my husband will need to make an appointment with our GP to get a letter (which is easier said than done) and i am worried if the Dr doesn’t give the information they need then they might reject it.
For context, My husband was advised by his consultant not to drink about 12 years ago due to a specific medical condition and he hasn’t touched alcohol since. We were planning to get the GP to put that in a letter (and name the condition as well). Do you think that will be enough.

thank you

I doubt that anyone on here will be able to give a definitive answer as to what P&O will/will not accept - and that will probably vary by whoever is making the decision.

Personally I would be doing my sums to see if the drinks package would even be viable in your circumstances - bearing in mind that you will be paying something in the region of £40 for your doctor's letter.

• Like 4

I would agree with @david63. The cost of the GPs letter could wipe out any gain from drinks packages. £40 sounds like a conservative estimate to me, it could be much more.

Had this been a US line or Cunard with high drinks prices and added % tip then it may have been worth the effort. P&Os drinks are still reasonably priced compared to other lines. 

• Like 1

We were able to do this on Cunard when I was unable to drink alcohol following surgery. I was allowed to have the non alcoholic package and DH had the alcoholic one. This was arranged onboard with the Bar Manager. I suspect that if we had tried to arrange it in advance we would have been unsuccessful. P&O may be amenable but I wouldn’t put money on it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

I agree Harry. P&O drinks prices way more affordable. Unless you plan to have the full 15 drink alcoholic drink allowance I wouldn’t bother. 

I'd be hard pushed to have 15 drinks a day, irrespective of alcohol content!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, sassyb69 said:

Has anyone been successful in getting agreement for two people to have a different drinks package due to one of them being unable to drink for medical reasons. 

i rang customer services today to ask if it was possible and was told I needed to submit a Drs letter and the powers that be will consider it and make a decision. I asked if the letter needed to say anything specific but he was very vague and said he couldn’t say. I spoke to our surgery and my husband will need to make an appointment with our GP to get a letter (which is easier said than done) and i am worried if the Dr doesn’t give the information they need then they might reject it.
For context, My husband was advised by his consultant not to drink about 12 years ago due to a specific medical condition and he hasn’t touched alcohol since. We were planning to get the GP to put that in a letter (and name the condition as well). Do you think that will be enough.

thank you

Why on earth would you want to be knocking back alcoholic drinks on a package 'every now and again' when your husband is unable to enjoy and share an alcoholic drink you.  Just pay as you go.  Nothing wrong in enjoying a pre dinner cocktail and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner each evening but by the time you have paid the doctor for the letter ( cost me £50 for my doctor to authorise my passport photo 'a couple of years ago' - goodness knows what it would cost today) Just pay as you go between you and forget all the hassle and additional expense of letters.  

• Like 3

On 7/10/2024 at 2:06 PM, Bell Boy said:

Why on earth would you want to be knocking back alcoholic drinks on a package 'every now and again' when your husband is unable to enjoy and share an alcoholic drink you.  Just pay as you go.  Nothing wrong in enjoying a pre dinner cocktail and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner each evening but by the time you have paid the doctor for the letter ( cost me £50 for my doctor to authorise my passport photo 'a couple of years ago' - goodness knows what it would cost today) Just pay as you go between you and forget all the hassle and additional expense of letters.  

exactly what I was going to say.  'why bother.  Just pay as you go.  Especially as some of the time you will be ashore.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 6:38 PM, sassyb69 said:

thank you

Don't bother and pay as you go.

• Like 2

Or you could just stick to the soft drinks and keep your Husband company won't do you any harm then just have the odd Alcoholic drink when you feel like one.

As someone who used to drink but only gave it up through time no other reason i have noticed so many people think they MUST drink more when Cruising but no doubt don't mention there Alcohol intake to there GP's. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

i have noticed so many people think they MUST drink more when Cruising but no doubt don't mention there Alcohol intake to there GP's. 

I am amazed at the cost issue as well.  An alcohol drinks package for a 2 week cruise comes in at around £1200.  Do people spend £600 a week on alcohol at home week in week out?  I am genunely shocked that people are willingly spending £1200 on booze.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harryjacobs said:

I am amazed at the cost issue as well.  An alcohol drinks package for a 2 week cruise comes in at around £1200.  Do people spend £600 a week on alcohol at home week in week out?  I am genunely shocked that people are willingly spending £1200 on booze.

Oh i've no problem with people drinking and doing more when they go on Holiday but was shocked by the amount people drink on Cruises. Bottles of Wine in there cabins, mid day cocktails then pre Dinner drinks then more with there meal then more afterwards. Seems to be the Norm for a lot of Cruisers.

• Like 1

Same here only bothered if it was to disrupt our cruise.

This drinking is not just about cruise ships,go to one of the Spanish costa's and 

you will find folk drinking day and night sat in a bar . 

Getting back to what the OP asked .. Why go to all that trouble of getting a doctors

note, only to find P&O possibly say "no exceptions to our rules "

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kalos said:

Same here only bothered if it was to disrupt our cruise.

This drinking is not just about cruise ships,go to one of the Spanish costa's and 

you will find folk drinking day and night sat in a bar . 

Getting back to what the OP asked .. Why go to all that trouble of getting a doctors

note, only to find P&O possibly say "no exceptions to our rules "

Many passengers seem to like the idea of a drinks package so they know their drink costs are covered, and are not caught out at the end of the cruise. Whilst this might be an issue on some american lines, with high prices and then a gratuity on top, but not on P&O, at least not for the average drinker.

Edited by terrierjohn

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I don't understand why anyone would be concerned about other passengers' drinking habits.  I am o lying concerned if it affects me directly.

Well try this to be concerned about how many of those Drinkers do you think would fail a breathalyzer test leaving the CPS car park? my guess would be quite a few.

From someone even when i drank have ALWAYS been Anti Drink Driving after losing a friend at 18 to a Drink Driver..

I could say the last night should be No Alcohol on sale but i don't i'm just saying look at you Alcohol intake when Cruising and if your BRAVE enough to mention to your GP mention it the next time you see them but doubt you will cause you don't want them to  know.

45 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Well try this to be concerned about how many of those Drinkers do you think would fail a breathalyzer test leaving the CPS car park? my guess would be quite a few.

From someone even when i drank have ALWAYS been Anti Drink Driving after losing a friend at 18 to a Drink Driver..

I could say the last night should be No Alcohol on sale but i don't i'm just saying look at you Alcohol intake when Cruising and if your BRAVE enough to mention to your GP mention it the next time you see them but doubt you will cause you don't want them to  know.

To be fair Josey said " if it affects her" and referring to the cruise ship .

I do get your point as we attend a grave of a young man who lost his life

to a drunk driver (who was jailed )

How many folk sit in airports drinking before and during  their flights and 

and then drive home from the airport ?

39 minutes ago, kalos said:

To be fair Josey said " if it affects her" and referring to the cruise ship .

I do get your point as we attend a grave of a young man who lost his life

to a drunk driver (who was jailed )

How many folk sit in airports drinking before and during  their flights and 

and then drive home from the airport ?

Quite. And there are those who arrogantly believe they know their drinking limit before they drive. Until they clearly do not and cause accidents etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

My GP could drink me under the table. Lets be honest there's a world of difference between someone drinking on holiday than a lifestyle choice at home.

It's no different whatsover from all inclusive holidays worldwide, where you don't have to worry about a drinks bill at the end of it.  The presumption that everyone who has a drinks package drinks 15 alcoholic drinks a day is probably an insult to many who book them.   

As for the OP's question before the lectures started, just go with the on board prices, they're very reasonable. 

• Like 3