Successful French port protest - one more thing to worry about

a bit of crap reporting though since they reported Voyager as displacing 138,000 tons...unless she has gained a LOT of weight since we last were on her (42,000 tons actual).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Portolan said:

a bit of crap reporting though since they reported Voyager as displacing 138,000 tons...unless she has gained a LOT of weight since we last were on her (42,000 tons actual).

Must be those pesky Cronuts!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Portolan said:

I think the reporter looked up the wrong ship. That is the displacement for Voyager of the Seas, which is a little larger than SS Voyager!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

The anti-tourist protests do seem to be taking on a more aggressive tone.  It seems some tourists in Barcelona were recently attacked with water pistols. That might disturb one's meal on a sidewalk cafe, now wouldn't it?

Spanish anti-tourism protesters take aim at Barcelona visitors with water guns - CBS News

Our family of 8 was planning a trip to Barcelona this fall. We are reconsidering now. There's plenty of other options available.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

I think the reporter looked up the wrong ship. That is the displacement for Voyager of the Seas, which is a little larger than SS Voyager!!

a bit...just sloppy reporting from a cruise-oriented web site.

12 minutes ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Our family of 8 was planning a trip to Barcelona this fall. We are reconsidering now. There's plenty of other options available.

If that sort of thing continues, where tourists are attacked, I suspect a lot of people will reconsider.

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm kind of surprised they would specifically target "luxury" cruises rather than mass market.  

For those shooting the water pistols, any cruise would be a luxury.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I believe the cruise lines should eliminate those ports where they experience disruptive protesters who don't want cruise line passengers. Lets see how the majority of other residents feel about the loss of the tourist dollars going elsewhere.  Then it will be up to them to deal with the protestors if they want the visitors who dump their money for one day and sail away.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Eh, ce n'est pas grave.

That applies to numerous threads on CC …………… but that is the nature of social media 😉

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mnocket said:

If that sort of thing continues, where tourists are attacked, I suspect a lot of people will reconsider.

4 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I believe the cruise lines should eliminate those ports where they experience disruptive protesters who don't want cruise line passengers.

That is the objective of the protestors

4 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

if they want the visitors who dump their money for one day and sail away.

Many cruise passengers spend little or nothing in the ports they visit.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Portolan said:

Well, considering that even the figure of 138,000 GT is not weight, we don't know how much weight the ship has gained.  If we want to pick nits, Voyager does not displace even 42,000 tons, she has a "volume equivalent" of 42,000 GT (Gross Tons being a unitless measure of a factor of the ship's total enclosed volume.)  I would estimate that Voyager displaces (her actual weight, loaded with passengers, food, fuel and water) at around 25,000 metric tons, tops.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, considering that even the figure of 138,000 GT is not weight, we don't know how much weight the ship has gained.  If we want to pick nits, Voyager does not displace even 42,000 tons, she has a "volume equivalent" of 42,000 GT (Gross Tons being a unitless measure of a factor of the ship's total enclosed volume.)  I would estimate that Voyager displaces (her actual weight, loaded with passengers, food, fuel and water) at around 25,000 metric tons, tops.

Thanks.  I actually knew most of that, but a bit too much preamble to my attempt at humor...

• Like 1

Same situation for some of our US ports in the NE.  3-4000 passenger cruise ships  no longer welcome. The size of the ships continues to grow.

Not specifically against wealthy people though.

On 7/10/2024 at 9:37 PM, DatawCruiser said:

I'm on a cruise in September on Voyager stopping at two French ports. Should I worry?

https://www.cruisehive.com/protestors-block-cruise-ship-from-calling-on-french-port/139082

No need for you to worry at all.  The ship will either dock, or it will not.  Nothing for you to do at all as it is out of your hands.  You might end up enjoying a sea day, or visiting an entirely different port.  No worries!

• Like 1

We were on that ship when we were stopped from tendering in.  It was a bit of bullcrap.

We were told that 10 protesters in kayaks were stopping the tenders from going past.  The captain of our ship has to call head office in Miami and they confirmed it was too risky for us to go.  My question is why didn't head office in Miami know about this beforehand prior to us all getting ready to tender off the boat.