Please Advise on Norway Cruise options

Looking at a first Norwegian Fjord cruise, I appreciate that this is subjective, but would like advice on itinerary options.

First option is 7 days stopping at Haugesund, Sognefjord/Flam, Geiranfjord. Question is, does this cover the bases well enough or does it miss 'must-see' places?

If we choose a longer option, one goes up into the Artic Circle and the other includes Norway and Iceland. My inclination would be to opt for Iceland.

Any thoughts?

I will be doing the Greenland/Iceland cruise.  We will get within 26 miles of the Arctic Circle.  It's a really tough call.  I would have preferred...

Arctic Circle (for the certificate)

Iceland

Greenland

But you have to do multiple voyages.  The best scenario seems to be 

Norway

Arctic Circle

Iceland

From my research, there is very little to do in Greenland, except to say you got there (if you do).

30 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Looking at a first Norwegian Fjord cruise, I appreciate that this is subjective, but would like advice on itinerary options.

First option is 7 days stopping at Haugesund, Sognefjord/Flam, Geiranfjord. Question is, does this cover the bases well enough or does it miss 'must-see' places?

If we choose a longer option, one goes up into the Artic Circle and the other includes Norway and Iceland. My inclination would be to opt for Iceland.

Any thoughts?

Those are great stops!  Something to keep in mind is most cruise ships won't be able to go to Flam or Geiranger in the near future. 

49 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Any thoughts?

We’re actually getting ready to board a 7-day PCL Norway cruise followed by a 14-day Baltic cruise tomorrow out of Southampton that goes to a couple different Norway fjords you didn’t mention, which you’re than welcome to follow along on my below Live From thread. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Any thoughts?

We did the Norway and Iceland cruise and thought it was absolutely terrific. I would pick that or the second option that includes the Arctic Circle over the first one you mentioned. It was a great overview of both places. Are you interested in Iceland or do you want to concentrate on Norway? 

We visited Bergen, Flaam, Geiranger, and Alesund in Norway on our itinerary. We enjoyed them all.

In Bergen, we rode the funicular up from town and then hiked further up from there to the top of Mt. Rundemanen. As everyone will tell you, sailing in to Geiranger is a very beautiful experience and it may not be possible to visit by cruise for much longer. In Flaam, we chose to kayak in the Naeroyfjord rather than doing the more common train ride. It was the absolute highlight of the whole trip. (see the photo below) We took the tour linked below from Alesund and I would definitely recommend it https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/tour/alesund-from-fjords-to-trolls/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwqMO0BhA8EiwAFTLgIG_JBpAytNaZSUrFBsiwsslTDsopYXDc2GFbeRneGxzZiDSrFzZK_hoC45EQAvD_BwE

kayak_4.thumb.JPG.3bb9981d7831ab5c14428ebeae2dcf51.JPG

I sailed a 14 night RT Southampton a number of years ago. It sailed all the way to North Cape and back. Se were 4 days above the Artic Circle at the end of June. Scenery and ports we spectacular. I have sailed over 50 cruises. This one stands out as one of the top 2 or 3. If you have the time and funds sail the longer trip.

56 minutes ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

Those are great stops!  Something to keep in mind is most cruise ships won't be able to go to Flam or Geiranger in the near future. 

When are the restrictions imposed?

18 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

We did the Norway and Iceland cruise and thought it was absolutely terrific. I would pick that or the second option that includes the Arctic Circle over the first one you mentioned. It was a great overview of both places. Are you interested in Iceland or do you want to concentrate on Norway? 

We visited Bergen, Flaam, Geiranger, and Alesund in Norway on our itinerary. We enjoyed them all.

In Bergen, we rode the funicular up from town and then hiked further up from there to the top of Mt. Rundemanen. As everyone will tell you, sailing in to Geiranger is a very beautiful experience and it may not be possible to visit by cruise for much longer. In Flaam, we chose to kayak in the Naeroyfjord rather than doing the more common train ride. It was the absolute highlight of the whole trip. (see the photo below) We took the tour linked below from Alesund and I would definitely recommend it https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/tour/alesund-from-fjords-to-trolls/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwqMO0BhA8EiwAFTLgIG_JBpAytNaZSUrFBsiwsslTDsopYXDc2GFbeRneGxzZiDSrFzZK_hoC45EQAvD_BwE

kayak_4.thumb.JPG.3bb9981d7831ab5c14428ebeae2dcf51.JPG

We are quite active but in our mid 80s, so kayaking and hiking are not an option for us  🙂

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, skynight said:

I sailed a 14 night RT Southampton a number of years ago. It sailed all the way to North Cape and back. Se were 4 days above the Artic Circle at the end of June. Scenery and ports we spectacular. I have sailed over 50 cruises. This one stands out as one of the top 2 or 3. If you have the time and funds sail the longer trip.

I guessed that the longer cruise would be best and then wondered about the extra stops in Norway versus Iceland. No Greenland in our options.

Iceland just seemed like a 'different' option rather than more stops in Norway. My question was are the extra stops in Norway special or does Iceland provide more diversity.

We will not be doing more than one Fjord cruise.

Edited by Tedferg

4 minutes ago, milolii said:

Agree with @ExploringTheGlobe the Norwegian government will place restrictions on Flam and Geiranger:   January 1, 2026.  Both are stunning.  Go now.  When is that 7 days cruise?  

June or July 2025 for all options.

I've been to Iceland on TA cruise and well worth visiting.  I've also done a fjord cruise from Southampton and would not do just 7 days.  If you're going that far, wanting to see the coast of Norway (plus Iceland) go for the 14 by all means.  I did it in October, 12 days (no Iceland) and it was spectacular.

We did the Norway cruise last year and the Iceland cruise a few years ago.  I found Iceland so much more interesting.  Just my opinion, but I vote Iceland.

24 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

When are the restrictions imposed?

We are quite active but in our mid 80s, so kayaking and hiking are not an option for us  🙂

Understood! The views from the top of the funicular in Bergen are still very, very nice.  What are your priorities? Scenery, wildlife, history? 

2 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Understood! The views from the top of the funicular in Bergen are still very, very nice.  What are your priorities? Scenery, wildlife, history? 

Scenery

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Scenery

I found the scenery in Iceland to be very unique.  Some of it was absolutely other worldly.  From the steam rising from the ground literally just outside Reykjavik to the volcanic formations to the unusual green of the hills, it was very special.  I think you'd see similar views in many places in Norway and might enjoy the variety of seeing Iceland as well. If you like waterfalls, it's incredible.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks, so the ban would also apply to other cruise lines with smaller ships.

Yes, I think Hurtigruden has Zero emissions  ships. Most of the ferries in Norway already meet the standards.

The scenery from both Flam and  Geiranger is spectacular.  You can also visit the port of call boards for more information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-baltic-sea/

Look at this thread.  

Edited by milolii

14 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I found the scenery in Iceland to be very unique.  Some of it was absolutely other worldly.  From the steam rising from the ground literally just outside Reykjavik to the volcanic formations to the unusual green of the hills, it was very special.  I think you'd see similar views in many places in Norway and might enjoy the variety of seeing Iceland as well. If you like waterfalls, it's incredible.

My thought precisely, thanks.

Posted (edited)

@TedfergWe were in your shoes last year at this time and ultimately decided on a 7 day cruise with 4 Norway stops.  But we are younger, and can envision a second cruise that includes iceland and/or further north in Norway (artic circle).  We leave tomorrow on Sky Princess for this cruise!

I found this thread to be immensely helpful in our planning.  Lots of good discussion on the norwegian fjords and coastal ports.  Lots of replies there now, but the information is good:  

Edited by PATRLR

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Any advice on time of year, I thought June / July would be best for weather.

We decided on the last two weeks of July and were very lucky with the weather.

I have been in August 2x, short sleeves, long pants.  One port, could have used shorts, it was hot.

When I went at the end of May 2022, rain, wore spring jackets the whole time.

You never know what the weather will be, do layers can always take off or add.

I remember for Alaska in August, I checked the weather channel the week before, it predicted rain and cold the whole week.  I brought heavy clothing.  It never rained and was hot.