Are you a maximalist cruise packer?

Inspired by the laundry thread, I thought I'd ask about how much 'stuff' people like to bring with them on cruises.

I personally like to pack as little as possible on any holiday, it always makes for cheaper and easier transfers.  I've always joined the FB group for whatever cruise ship and specific sailing I'm booked on, and have been fascinated (and sometimes amused) by the things people bring with them on cruises.  Some of it comes down to allergies or being picky eaters/drinkers, which is fair enough.  But there seems to be quite a lot who just love a good gadget, and others who, frankly, might as well have stayed at home because they seem unable to cope with anything being slightly different than usual.

Off the top of my head, these are some of the things I've seen people say they bring with them:

-All manner of foods including snacks (how can anyone EVER get hungry on a ship?!), their preferred tea and coffee, sauces/salad dressings, vegemite, breakfast cereal, juice.

-Their own pillow, mattress protector, fan, bedding (yes a themed doona cover and pillow cases), room decorations including wallpaper that looks like the view from a porthole, things to stick on the cabin door, 101 Amazon gadgets for hanging things.

-Bottles of hand soap

-Blow up pool for babies in nappies, beach towels, on my last island cruise people actually brought beach trolleys and a Cool Kabana with them.

Where do you sit on the minimalist-maximalist spectrum?  Do you need the comforts of home while you're away?  What's the weirdest thing you've seen someone bring onboard?  I don't know why I find this subject so fascinating, but I do! 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I wish I had taken a photo of the table of confiscated items when I disembarked a domestic cruise late last year.  Someone attempted to bring on a rice cooker and there were other electrical items that you wouldn’t expect

• Haha 9

I went too minamilist last cruise (which I had to being overseas and doing a road trip) I only took one pair of “nice” shoes. - I was running behind for our dinner & couldn’t find them - so i just grabbed my daughter’s white cowboy boots out of her suitcase & wore them to the formal night (under long black pants) 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, clairebearinaus said:

Inspired by the laundry thread, I thought I'd ask about how much 'stuff' people like to bring with them on cruises.

I personally like to pack as little as possible on any holiday, it always makes for cheaper and easier transfers.  I've always joined the FB group for whatever cruise ship and specific sailing I'm booked on, and have been fascinated (and sometimes amused) by the things people bring with them on cruises.  Some of it comes down to allergies or being picky eaters/drinkers, which is fair enough.  But there seems to be quite a lot who just love a good gadget, and others who, frankly, might as well have stayed at home because they seem unable to cope with anything being slightly different than usual.

Off the top of my head, these are some of the things I've seen people say they bring with them:

-All manner of foods including snacks (how can anyone EVER get hungry on a ship?!), their preferred tea and coffee, sauces/salad dressings, vegemite, breakfast cereal, juice.

-Their own pillow, mattress protector, fan, bedding (yes a themed doona cover and pillow cases), room decorations including wallpaper that looks like the view from a porthole, things to stick on the cabin door, 101 Amazon gadgets for hanging things.

-Bottles of hand soap

-Blow up pool for babies in nappies, beach towels, on my last island cruise people actually brought beach trolleys and a Cool Kabana with them.

Where do you sit on the minimalist-maximalist spectrum?  Do you need the comforts of home while you're away?  What's the weirdest thing you've seen someone bring onboard?  I don't know why I find this subject so fascinating, but I do! 😄

As little as possible! The only exception to their supplied toiletries is my own shampoo! But I take as small amount as possible to cover the times I need to wash my hair 😁

• Like 2

OMG, I pack everything and then some.  If I could possibly envisage a potential need for something, it's going with.  I take my own pillow, vegemite, family photos & magnets, a shoe hanger for knickers/socks etc.  I also take a laundry bowl for said knickers etc, pegs, two washing lines, hangers (they never give you enough), water filter jug, big mugs, 4 water bottles, detergent & cloth for washing said big mugs & water bottles, tea towels for drying said bit mugs & water bottles, dish drainer for draining said big mugs & water bottles.  Crikey, I could go on so much that at least one poster would pass away before getting to the end of this message.  Just have to trust me, travel light does not ever register for me.  

• Haha 10

5 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

OMG, I pack everything and then some.  If I could possibly envisage a potential need for something, it's going with.  I take my own pillow, vegemite, family photos & magnets, a shoe hanger for knickers/socks etc.  I also take a laundry bowl for said knickers etc, pegs, two washing lines, hangers (they never give you enough), water filter jug, big mugs, 4 water bottles, detergent & cloth for washing said big mugs & water bottles, tea towels for drying said bit mugs & water bottles, dish drainer for draining said big mugs & water bottles.  Crikey, I could go on so much that at least one poster would pass away before getting to the end of this message.  Just have to trust me, travel light does not ever register for me.  

I love it!  A dish drainer, that's a new one.

Reading your post I assumed you must drive to your port, then I saw you're in WA so maybe not.  Do you take all that stuff on planes with you?

(I do take pegs and a laundry line if I have a balcony and the cruise is long enough.  Plus mini sprays of febreeze and no-iron stuff.)

13 minutes ago, clairebearinaus said:

Reading your post I assumed you must drive to your port, then I saw you're in WA so maybe not.  Do you take all that stuff on planes with you?

Yep it all goes on the plane with us.  When I book an economy flight I automatically book 2 extra suitcases (one for me and one for me that's in Grumpy's name).  I have been known to actually book a 3rd suitcase for me a day or two before the flight when my 'necessities' expanded further than 2 case plus Grumpy's.  But that is a rare event and has only happened on a long European / Asian holiday (12 weeks) when we went through different seasons and climactic conditions.  Flew home BC so that wasn't too bad but had a couple of economy hops between countries.  In the normal course of events, I'm more inclined to rationalise Grumpy's clothes than pay for a 3rd case. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Do you have to fly to take your cruise 🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Do you have to fly to take your cruise 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Once in a blue moon we get to have a cruise out of Fremantle and an even bluer moon it returns to Fremantle.  On the whole though we do need to fly but I buy extra luggage when I book the flights.

• Like 1

Basically, I'd class myself as a minimalist, but the one thing I can't travel without is my coffee plunger and good ground coffee.  Yes, I know I can buy better quality coffee on board, but sometimes that means bitter espresso style, which I hate. I drink it black, no sugar, so it's important to me to get coffee I like.  And don't get me started on the "coffee" on offer in the buffet.....

• Like 3

I'm a chronic overpacker! And, yes, I always pack my fan as I've had cabins that were too hot for me to sleep. Unfortunately my fan died about a month ago but mostly the night-time temps were cool so our cabin stayed cool enough for me. However the night before we reached New York was very hot and I didn't sleep well so I had to buy a cheap fan at Target (opposite Macy's). It's quite big and, of course, totally useless in Australia. I'm seriously thinking of leaving it on the ship.

Strangely one of the most useful things I packed for this world cruise was a cheap set of filing trays. They've kept the desk tidy. We put current stuff in the top tray (latest Patter plus any other stuff that need action or reference in the next few days. The middle tray holds our file of visas, tour tickets etc. The bottom tray holds stuff we want to keep. It was a last minute buy, packed easily stuffed with other things, and I think it will become a regular item on most of our future cruises of any length.

Did I pack too many clothes? Yes and no. There were a couple of things I wish I'd packed more of, and so far I haven't needed my long sleeved tshirts or my fleece but all-in-all we packed well. Of course, I just had a major wardrobe refresh at Macy's in Boston and New York so now have far too many tops! 

We're working our way through our consumables. I think I figured those fairly well apart from aloe vera tissues but we have had opportunities to restock those.

I do like to have variety in the clothes I wear and usually get it right on most cruises but I must admit I was getting bored with my original choices. Thank goodness for Macy's!!!

• Like 7

Just now, cruiser3775 said:

Basically, I'd class myself as a minimalist, but the one thing I can't travel without is my coffee plunger and good ground coffee.  Yes, I know I can buy better quality coffee on board, but sometimes that means bitter espresso style, which I hate. I drink it black, no sugar, so it's important to me to get coffee I like.  And don't get me started on the "coffee" on offer in the buffet.....

I did pack 250 of my favourite teabags for our world cruise as I've been on too many cruises since the pandemic where they ran out of Twinings English Breakfast and the alternatives were ghastly! I'm using my own teabags in the MDR for breakfast but use the Twinings in the buffet (unless they've run out).

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Over the years it has varied.

When my kids were toddlers I was one of those inflatable baby pool bringers 😂

But not for the public spaces! It was just easier in the shower.

I used to pack all the dress up things e.g. Gatsby. Now we just take a token accessory.

Now I put everything out to pack. Put half of it back. Then restrict ourselves to 2 bags for the whole 4 of us. Whatever  doesn't  fit has to stay or if the teens absolutely  must have - I make them carry it themselves.

These are the  "Extras" I have taken past 5 trips. I don't  think it will ever change.

Assorted Magnets /magnet hooks

Muslin wraps

Power board

Every OTC rememdy for gastro, sinus etc etc Band aids, Betadine.

12 soft drinks per person (if no package)

Glen 20 (or generic)

Dandruff Shampoo

Preferred Hair Conditioner 

Washing powder/ sheets

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

Inspired by the laundry thread…

The thread I started has a spinoff thread?! 😱

That must make me a proud grandparent! 😁

• Haha 11

I'm not a minimalist or a maximist when it comes to packing, but I always pack more that I need - like an extra t-shirt or something

a few years back we went on a 1 week late summer holiday (in NZ) and I realised the only shorts I had bought were the ones I was wearing, plus 1 pair of togs.

our 2018 cruise was 12 days plus 1 night pre cruise in Sydney and 2 days in Sydney post cruise, so 15 altogether... I think I took 4 t-shirts, 1 polo shirt, 3 shorts, 2 togs, 2 dress shirts (1 long sleeve, 1 short sleeve), 1 pair of nice jeans, 1 pair nice trousers, 3 pairs of shoes and some open toed velcro sandal things (name escapes me sorry)

our cruise in December this year is also 12 days and we've got 2 days pre cruise in Sydney and flying home the day of disembarking, so I'll probably pack about the same....

we have similar sized suitcases - about 70cm - 72cm and they were pretty full.

Our usual trip to a cruise ship or airport is cheap and somewhat convenient, done with very little walking. However, it requires three trains, which means being able to lug both of our cases on & off trains, as well as stowing them in a way that doesn't break my back. 

With that in mind, we pack everything we need, but pack very little "just in case" items. If we were suburban Sydney and cabbing it, we might think a little differently. The just in case stuff consists of an extra layer in case it is colder or wet, a basic medical kit, a pair of oversized pants in case the food is awesome, and an empty credit card. If the ship has it, we tend not to pack it. Barb is a bit more specific about shampoo, but we travel with it in cake form. If we don't like the ship amenities, we will buy something in port.

If we are flying home, we intentionally underpack to give us an excuse to buy something overseas and bring it home. I know people that will travel a week with only carry-on, but that usually requires washing and we are nowhere near that extreme. My only hack, which is as much about flying with aerosols, is the old Palmolive shave stick and shave brush. Eleven years on, it is half used.

• Like 3

we don't have much choice to pack thing we might use or things we could use, we have 2 large 1 medium suit cases 3 back packs and a the wife's large hand bag. 1 large & 1 medium is filled to the brim with medical equipment. so it doesn't give us much room for a 12 night cruise. some people may say if they had all that medical equipment maybe stay at home. but we say just because we were dealt a bad medical history, why not go and enjoy ourselves anyway...we have gotten by so far...we love reading your stories on cruise critic.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I (we) are minimalist  Although medications and first aid are always taken and also MY shampoo

I ask DH what he wants to take and (keep asking until the end date)  and he still says he has left something behind he wanted??

Usually for a cruise it is 2 carry on cases (we need for wine and sodas mostly) and one large case   For air flights we are as conservative as we can be and for Bali recently for 10 days we just took carry on and as it was resort with loads of swimming and good weather I actually brought home some clean clothes as we lived during the day in swimmers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

…1 pair of togs…

Oh, that takes me back! Growing up in Queensland in the late 70s and 80s they were always called "togs" or "swimming togs". DW is from NSW and calls them "bathers". These days we mostly call them "swimmers". 

DW gets cranky if I refer to "peanut paste" so I’ve learnt to call it "peanut butter" even though it still sounds American to me. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, arxcards said:

…My only hack, which is as much about flying with aerosols, is the old Palmolive shave stick and shave brush. Eleven years on, it is half used.

Even though I wear a beard (sometimes just a goatee) I shave my neck each morning. I used to use a shave stick and shaving brush, even at home, but they got hard to find. I now use the liquid hand soap that sits in a dispenser on our bathroom vanity at home and is usually wall mounted on a ship. No need to lather it; just smear some on. Shower gel, shampoo, and even conditioner all work for me. YMMV

One less thing to pack!

• Haha 2

If we're going P&O we take Gatsby and Bianco clothes, as well as one formal outfit (jersey so rolls up into small size, one pair of sneakers, one pair of 'good' shoes and thongs. Other than that just things that roll up small (t shirts, shorts, cotton dresses, etc and enough undies for 3 days - rinse in bathroom sink every night), a bar of sunlight soap, my preferred shampoo & conditioner (travel size), hair spray, pump pack hair volumiser, assorted magnets to attach documents to the cabin walls, first aid and medication (such as antihistamine, sea sick pills, antibiotics, headache pills and gastro stop). And a jacket and pashmina in case it turns a bit cool or the air con in the public areas is set to freezing. I wouldn't say we are minimalist, but we do try to take what we consider essentials only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

a pair of oversized pants in case the food is awesome,

Depending on the length of the cruise / holiday I can pack clothes in 3 sizes - the size I wore when I left home, the size I am mid term and the size I wear on the way back home.  I then spend 3 times as long as the cruise madly trying to lose the weight I put on but hey, I had fun gaining it.  

• Haha 10

I'm a minimalist packer, within reason. I've always been something of a weakling so manageability comes into play for me. For a very lengthy cruise I once packed a very small bottle (ie freebie shampoo size from hotel) of bleach, well wrapped in a paper towel and in a sealed plastic bag. Surprisingly it proved invaluable - in a particularly hot bug-infested climate I got horrible yellow marks from Bushmans bug spray around the neckline of a favourite white top. The bleach got rid of the marks, at first turning them into a highlighter yellow before they disappeared, whew.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I'm a minimalist packer, within reason. I've always been something of a weakling so manageability comes into play for me. For a very lengthy cruise I once packed a very small bottle (ie freebie shampoo size from hotel) of bleach, well wrapped in a paper towel and in a sealed plastic bag. Surprisingly it proved invaluable - in a particularly hot bug-infested climate I got horrible yellow marks from Bushmans bug spray around the neckline of a favourite white top. The bleach got rid of the marks, at first turning them into a highlighter yellow before they disappeared, whew.

OzKiwiJJ gave a great tip re Sard? Block stain remover. You spread it on stain and can leave on 7 days it says. 
it’s remarkably efficient.

• Thanks 1