Infinite Balcony Question

12 hours ago, Oville said:

Check you the Edge thread above and more like them than hate them.

Good Luck!

In general more Celebrity cruisers like a standard balcony vs. the window.  E class is second to S class.  Why would you sail on E if you did not like the window?

37 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is the width of a window larger than the width of a balcony door?  I would think the frame is just different either vertical or horizontal.

I am not sure of dimensions but the curtains do take away some of the sideline views. For me it was a cleaner/clearer view to the outdoors, very much like a river boat. When looking down you don't see the balcony below you, neighbors don't see me in my jammies, no peeping around the side walls, the life boats aren't on blast. I could go on and on but it's all been covered. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just sharing because I was very skeptical until I actually sailed in one. I find the pros outweighed the cons. 

Patty 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, resordanis said:

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of booking this type of cabin please?

I sail in one next week - so I'll have a better opinion soon.  You'll struggle getting an accurate opinion on this forum - because many haven't been in them and are repeating what they think to be true.  But I read MANY of these posts and watched 20 or more videos on youtube about these - AFTER I booked one. I didn't know there was controversy at the time.  I am from hot and humid Texas - but I don't feel my comments are biased either way.

False claims: the railing is higher - I've posted photos where this is disproven.  The rail height is about half the height - which is very similar to other rooms where ceiling heights are about the same.  

The pros: They allow inside and outside space depending how you open and close the bifold doors.  They are rated highly for cold/wet weather sailings (but ensure the cons don't bother you) because of this extra inside space with a large window.  One person had a rainy cruise and stated she'd never sail without one again since she could use the space still.  You cannot get the same panoramic view from looking through a standard balcony window.  In cold or wet weather, you'll see more.  They allow much more separation from neighboring verandas - you have entire walls instead of panels.  If you like more privacy and less noise, these offer that.

You can air out your entire room.  With blinds open it's almost like your room is a sun room or porch.

Remote operation - these rooms are controlled by an app.  Lights, window, blinds.  Wake up in bed and open the blinds by remote. Techie types rate these rooms higher.

The cons: If you are on a hot and humid sailing, consider how well you handle heat.  The bifold doors are not very air tight.  With bifold closed and window open, the room gets warm and humid.  Couples who occupy same space together have less of an issue than those where 1 is on balcony and 1 stays in room - the one in the room will notice climate changes in room.  Even with window closed, if room faces sun the room may need blinds pulled down to keep from getting warm.  There is clearly separation of opinions depending on where someone is from - more favorable reviews are from people who are from hot climates than northern - because they tolerate heat better.  At least some of the rooms are still circulating air but the AC cuts off or can't keep up with the amount of heat that comes in with the window open.  Most believe the AC cuts completely off.  The amount of time to cool the room back down depends on how warm the cabin is allowed to get - if the furniture and walls are all warm it'll take longer, but most state about 20 minutes.

The motors that drive the windows and blinds are not quiet and somewhat slow.  Any video I've seen shows the person having to hold the button the entire time the window is moving.  But there is an app.

The captain can close & lock the windows.  This happens about once a week for cleaning the windows from the outside & when there is bad weather - but I figure you'd close the window too from the conditions where the captain will lock them.  If you like sitting on balcony in the rain, you won't have this option.

The privacy aspect also means you can't get much sun on the veranda - you'll be in the shade unless your room is pointed toward the sun and it is somewhat low in the sky.  You'll also get less.

There is no way to have part of the room with light & part of the room without.  Blinds up, the bifold doors are only frosted - light comes in.  The blinds open from floor upward - you can't peek out.  If someone is still in bed they may not like the light from opening the blinds.

Some feel 'blocked in' by the veranda.  This seems to get responses more often if the room layout has the bed closer to the veranda than if it has a chaise between the veranda and the bed.  Something about the placement of that floor space seems to matter how people are respond feeling crowded.

My biggest con is likely that the tiny chairs look uncomfortable.  I have already addressed that issue for my trip but you may want to be proactive to resolve.

Opening a door is easier than opening a bifold door with chairs on the other side - especially if those chairs have people sitting in them.

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

And has never stayed in one.

What's your point? I've never stayed in one either as it's clear that they don't suit my cruising style. I don't need to sail in one to know that. I have eyes and a brain and the ability to think critically. I know that insides or oceanviews aren't for me either despite never staying in one.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Oville said:

And has never stayed in one.

Nor do I ever plan to, @Oville.  The people in this forum saying “but a window is better than a door!!!” “It makes the room bigger!” really make me shake my head.

Congratulations folks!  You have a window in your cabin!  

The VP of Marketing is laughing all the way to the bank.  That person could sell anything to anyone.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Nor do I ever plan to, @Oville.  The people in this forum saying “but a window is better than a door!!!” “It makes the room bigger!” really make me shake my head.

Congratulations folks!  You have a window in your cabin!  

The VP of Marketing is laughing all the way to the bank.  That person could sell anything to anyone.

Yet Celebrity has no trouble selling out every infinite veranda cabin on every cruise. Go figure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Altamar said:

We were on the Beyond’s June 9, 2024 in a IV for the first and last time. Regular balcony for us. This type of cabin is just a big window that opens. Should be priced as ocean view cabin.

Ocean view cabins do not have a window that opens, not sure I understand your reasoning here..

7 hours ago, newtampagirl said:

We have stayed in both including Magic Carpet suites which have huge balconies. I find myself spending more time sitting in the infinite balcony watching the view than on an actual balcony, especially in hot weather. We did a move up on our recent RCI's Icon of the Seas from a balcony to an infinite balcony. We have had both on that ship too. It makes the room feel more spacious, it's more private, no neighbor noise or lights. Try it once, you may like it.

Curious about your "more time sitting". I just can't see anyone spending  2 to 3 hours sitting in the tiny chairs of an IV compared to the same period and more that we spend relaxing on our real balcony with high backed reclining chairs and with a table that is big enough to hold our lunch.

• Like 1

Oh, here we go again.  The OP stated: We usually book balconies because we do like the fresh air at times, 

How about answering relevant to what the poster wants from the cabin instead of what YOU want from the cabin?  The fact is, we are buying different experiences onboard & it doesn't make anyone gullible.  The noise and name calling doesn't help anyone make a decision.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I just can't see [...] spending  2 to 3 hours sitting in the tiny chairs of an IV compared to [...] high backed reclining chairs ...

This is the only issue I think I'm going to have, but I think this is same on standard sized balconies too.  I believe Celebrity addressed my concern per responses from my 'special request' when booking. I feel like the line has really tried (with success) to address any issues I brought up pre-cruise. I really want to do a live event but someone is doing one on Beyond right now so I don't see the point.  I do have a thermometer packed so I'm going to know exactly what this dang AC does when the window opens!!!  lol

4 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Oh, here we go again.  The OP stated: We usually book balconies because we do like the fresh air at times, 

How about answering relevant to what the poster wants from the cabin instead of what YOU want from the cabin?  The fact is, we are buying different experiences onboard & it doesn't make anyone gullible.  The noise and name calling doesn't help anyone make a decision.

You are free to talk about how wonderful IVs are.  And others can talk about why they don’t like them.  I suggest you check the name of this website.

Calling IV a bad idea isn’t name calling unless you are the Celebrity VP of Marketing.

Posted (edited)

Obviously, these cabins aren’t for everyone, but we really shouldn’t have to argue with one another when it comes up..

Im staying in one in Sept for the first time..I will be able to better able to comment after that..so far for me on E Class it has been Sky suites and SV’s..

I do prefer the E Class vibe, I know that..I get that others don’t..

going to make a drink now. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You are free to talk about how wonderful IVs are.  And others can talk about why they don’t like them.  I suggest you check the name of this website.

Calling IV a bad idea isn’t name calling unless you are the Celebrity VP of Marketing.

I haven't said they are 'wonderful.'  I always try to be clear I haven't had the experience yet so someone knows not to take my posts as completely accurate. I do try to provide feedback I think the OP will find useful.  

And I agree, you aren't the one who posted how 'gullible' people are.  It was derogatory.

2 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

Yet Celebrity has no trouble selling out every infinite veranda cabin on every cruise. Go figure.

at present they are selling out every cabin type on every cruise - sail from the UK and it's E Class or nothing.

As X committed/gambled on several E Class ships before the first had sailed we won't know how successful IV's are until X launches it's next class of ship.

2 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

They are even willing to pay me more to give it up to another gullible cruiser. 😂

34 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I haven't said they are 'wonderful.'  I always try to be clear I haven't had the experience yet so someone knows not to take my posts as completely accurate. I do try to provide feedback I think the OP will find useful.  

And I agree, you aren't the one who posted how 'gullible' people are.  It was derogatory.

I am so sorry I didn’t mean to be derogatory…I’m staying in one for the first time.  Other people have made me feel gullible and like I made a bad choice.  Celebrity recently sent me an email to get me to cancel my sailing (they just need rooms) and I was playing with the words.  I am very much staying in one in a week and certainly hope I like it.  My comment was directed at those who feel that by selecting to stay in one I’m gullible and somehow fell for a big scam.  I am sorry if you took it the wrong way.

6 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I am sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Palm on forehead.  My apologies - you are correct, I completely misread what you wrote.  Sorry about that - now I get why zitsky didn't know what the heck I was referring to.  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I am so sorry I didn’t mean to be derogatory…I’m staying in one for the first time.  Other people have made me feel gullible and like I made a bad choice.  Celebrity recently sent me an email to get me to cancel my sailing (they just need rooms) and I was playing with the words.  I am very much staying in one in a week and certainly hope I like it.  My comment was directed at those who feel that by selecting to stay in one I’m gullible and somehow fell for a big scam.  I am sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Just enjoy your cruise and I cannot wait to see if you had a great time. I appreciate your reply.

Edited by resordanis
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Palm on forehead.  My apologies - you are correct, I completely misread what you wrote.  Sorry about that - now I get why zitsky didn't know what the heck I was referring to.  

No worries.  I feel badly if anyone was thinking I meant it as they are gullible to stay in an IV. I really think I’ll like it in Alaska actually.  

10 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

No worries.  I feel badly if anyone was thinking I meant it as they are gullible to stay in an IV. I really think I’ll like it in Alaska actually.  

I think for Alaska it will be great. We are considering for NZ, so should be suitable too. Each to their own I say. 

Just now, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I lost track of your posts being the same person - embarrassed how badly I misinterpreted that.

I am in one next week. I didn't know there was controversy until after booking.  Cold Alaska cruise passengers overwhelmingly praise the cabin and the experience. Caribbean cruises is where there seems to be the love it or hate it differences.  The difference between OV and IV was $27 each person when I booked - so the extra space (I think it was 40 sq ft larger, but doublecheck - it's been a while) was enough to justify.  The standard balconies were priced higher, so I think the value of a standard balcony may be higher in Caribbean overall.  I don't think I'd pay more for one if a standard balcony is available - but I can't deal with cold weather easily so in Alaska I think I would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

I lost track of your posts being the same person - embarrassed how badly I misinterpreted that.

I am in one next week. I didn't know there was controversy until after booking.  Cold Alaska cruise passengers overwhelmingly praise the cabin and the experience. Caribbean cruises is where there seems to be the love it or hate it differences.  The difference between OV and IV was $27 each person when I booked - so the extra space (I think it was 40 sq ft larger, but doublecheck - it's been a while) was enough to justify.  The standard balconies were priced higher, so I think the value of a standard balcony may be higher in Caribbean overall.  I don't think I'd pay more for one if a standard balcony is available - but I can't deal with cold weather easily so in Alaska I think I would.

Controversy is the wrong word.  I appreciate the comments that explain why people like it.  Some of us are just confused when the fans keep insisting “but a window is SOOO much better than a door”,  Huh?  What?  How?  

It’s like people insisting that you HAVE to have the bed by the window NOT by the door.  And arguing over what is better, Eden or Murano.  

So I guess I will let people have their choice but I’m still not convinced that an IV is better.  And if you dare use the words INFINITE VERANDA, I may just remind you that it is neither.