Electrical Converter

Thank you for all your responses when I write an question.  We live in the United States.  Do we need an adapter/converter  when we stay in a hotel in Australia?

And, on another note, I used an adapter in an Amsterdam hotel and my hair dryer fried.  Why did that happen?

In Australia we use 240 volts. An adapter will allow you to plug your appliance into an Australian socket but will not change the voltage. 

• Like 2

A quick google search reveals that Australian outlets are rated for 10Amps with a 3-pin earthed connection, working off of 240V AC at 50Hz, whereas the US and Europe operate on 110V/120V AC at 60Hz.

4ECF5A3E-33EF-4C05-94F0-6743DEB79BF0.jpeg

• Like 1

Also check your device, a lot of modern appliances now have a switch that allows you to change between the two systems.

You would still need an adaptor between the US plugs and the Australian power outlets.

We refer to them as GPO's, (General Power Outlets).

Not all appliances' require the third Earth pin, they usually indicate they are double insulated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

A quick google search reveals that Australian outlets are ra

I can't tell you how helpful that picture is.  Thank you!  We bought an adapter from Amazon that claims to have an Australian adapter. With your picture, we realized that we have to angle the prongs. However, there is not a third prong on the bottom that is available on this adapter. I'm thinking that we should return this adapter and get another.  Are the two angled prongs enough?

• Thanks 1

We just bought 2 converters through Amazon that have the voltage converter in them. Sorry I don't have a link handy, we ordered them specifically because they have the converter. Some look exactly the same but don't adapt the voltage. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Some look exactly the same but don't adapt the voltage. 

But are voltage converters allowed on cruise ships? I just don't want it to be confiscated.  And, I'd like to know if my 1800 watt hair dryer can be used on a converter? I think my last hair dryer was fried when I used an adapter borrowed from the hotel because the adapter was not a voltage converter.

Edited by Carol28
more questions

Just now, Carol28 said:

But are voltage converters allowed on cruise ships? I just don't want it to be confiscated.  And, I'd like to know if my 1800 watt hair dryer can be used on a converter? I think my last hair dryer was fried when I used an adapter borrowed from the hotel because the adapter was not a voltage converter.

You might get it taken off you but it will be returned at the end of the cruise. You won't need it onboard as most cruise ships have two power circuits - 110v with US sockets, and 220v with EU or AU sockets.

Most appliances will work worldwide with just pin adaptors and no need for step-up or step-down transformers. Electronic gadgets already have this built into their chargers, and only draw up to 9 volts of the available current anyway. Appliances that apply heat are mostly set for your local voltage and Hz - irons, hair dryers, kettles, hair straighteners. Check the appliance says 100-240V on the label for it to be OK around the world. If it is says100 -110, leave it at home (similarly for us and our 220-240V appliances). Hotels and cruise ships have hair dryers. In the main, our cruise ships have US outlets and USB-A outlets as well.

8 hours ago, Carol28 said:

I can't tell you how helpful that picture is.  Thank you!  We bought an adapter from Amazon that claims to have an Australian adapter. With your picture, we realized that we have to angle the prongs. However, there is not a third prong on the bottom that is available on this adapter. I'm thinking that we should return this adapter and get another.  Are the two angled prongs enough?

8 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Also check your device, a lot of modern appliances now have a switch that allows you to change between the two systems.

You would still need an adaptor between the US plugs and the Australian power outlets.

We refer to them as GPO's, (General Power Outlets).

Not all appliances' require the third Earth pin, they usually indicate they are double insulated.

As Ozwoody has indicated, the third vertical pin is the earth or ground pin. Double insulated devices usually only have the two slanted pins.
Also, our power points usually have a switch incorporated into them. The down position is normally on and up is off. Our light switches are usually oriented this way also which I think is the opposite to the USA. 

02573DC2-02EA-41A9-B38B-D7A235CB8B1A.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, prov2727 said:

Just bought a converter this morning since it's PrimeDays. It says AUS but I don't see an option for slanted prongs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DJ140LQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 .

The adapter you bought is not a converter. It only allows you to use your own plug and plug the adapter into any number of sockets worldwide. It can be plugged into any voltage but that voltage comes out of it's socket (where you plug your appliance in) the same as the original socket. In other words a 120v hairdryer will fry at 240v. The appliance must state that it is a "travel" hairdryer with a 120/220v switch on it. Many electronic products these days can convert power automatically but it will be written on if it can, 110-240v.

Your adapter has a slide where you use the same pins as the US ones but they swivel to the angle you need for Australia.

Unfortunately that particular adapter cannot be used onboard a ship because of the circuit protection it has in it. If you want one for cruising, search "ship safe universal travel adapter"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carol28 said:

Your cabin (on an Australian cruise) will have both 240v and 120v sockets The type of plug it takes should determine which voltage it has and it will be written on the outside. You probably won't need an adapter but I would still get a travel dryer as they come in handy. You won't need a converter on a ship.

There are two main "flavours" of AC electricity, 115V/60Hz and 230V/50Hz. There is some small variation in the voltage from place to place, which will not usually be a problem for most devices.  Exclusively 115V devices running with 230V will usually burn out and/or catch fire. Most modern electronic devices are intelligent enough to know what voltage they have been plugged into. Many heating type devices are not.

There are many different types of electrical plugs and sockets. However, on a cruise ship you will generally find wall sockets for North American type A connectors and usually European type F connectors. Occasionally you might also run across the Australia/NZ type I or the UK type G. If the power lead on your device has 3 pins then use a three pin socket, otherwise don't worry about it.

Plug and socket types.

When you use a converter for these sockets you aren't converting electricity, you are just converting the physical connections to match whatever socket your devices use. So the electricity that comes out of the converter is exactly the same as the electricity that goes in.

Always check what voltages your devices can handle. Never plug a device into a socket if you aren't sure what it is capable of handling.

As an aside, I'd never thought of taking a hair dryer.  I'm sure I could squeeze one in somewhere, just gotta nip out and buy one.  While I'm at the shops I might as well buy a hair straightener and curlers too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just to sum up all the good advice above:

You need two things, an adapter for the plug, and a converter for the voltage.

Sometimes, you can buy these two things combined in the one item. But if it also has voltage surge protection, it may be confiscated on board a ship, because of potential fire hazard.

1. The adapter. This just changes the shape of the prongs, so they fit into the wall socket on one side, and to your electrical device on the other side. Buy a US to Aus one.

2. The converter.  This changes the voltage the electrical item runs on. US standard is 110 volts. In Australia, we use 230 volts.  Because this is so much higher, it will fry a US hair dryer if you plug it into an Australian wall socket with your adapter.

Some devices can accommodate both voltages. They will have 110v-230v written on them, and may also have a switch to swap from one voltage to the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Just to sum up all the good advice above:

You need two things, an adapter for the plug, and a converter for the voltage.

Sometimes, you can buy these two things combined in the one item. But if it also has voltage surge protection, it may be confiscated on board a ship, because of potential fire hazard.

1. The adapter. This just changes the shape of the prongs, so they fit into the wall socket on one side, and to your electrical device on the other side. Buy a US to Aus one.

2. The converter.  This changes the voltage the electrical item runs on. US standard is 110 volts. In Australia, we use 230 volts.  Because this is so much higher, it will fry a US hair dryer if you plug it into an Australian wall socket with your adapter.

Some devices can accommodate both voltages. They will have 110v-230v written on them, and may also have a switch to swap from one voltage to the other.

3. Depending on which ship you’re sailing on, there will probably be USA power outlets in your stateroom. But only Australian power points in you hotel room when ashore. 

22 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

But only Australian power points in you hotel room when ashore.

Depends on the hotel. Most of the international chains will have both, particularly in the bathroom

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

Hotels and cruise ships have hair dryers. In the main, our cruise ships have US outlets and USB-A outlets as well.

Princess has crappy hair dryers. They are OK for my short, straight hair but useless for anyone who needs to style their hair.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yarramar said:

The adapter you bought is not a converter. It only allows you to use your own plug and plug the adapter into any number of sockets worldwide. It can be plugged into any voltage but that voltage comes out of it's socket (where you plug your appliance in) the same as the original socket. In other words a 120v hairdryer will fry at 240v. The appliance must state that it is a "travel" hairdryer with a 120/220v switch on it. Many electronic products these days can convert power automatically but it will be written on if it can, 110-240v.

Your adapter has a slide where you use the same pins as the US ones but they swivel to the angle you need for Australia.

Unfortunately that particular adapter cannot be used onboard a ship because of the circuit protection it has in it. If you want one for cruising, search "ship safe universal travel adapter"

I'm sure that the Sun will have some US circuits. I was worried about charging my phone in my hotel (Melbourne) prior to the cruise. They will probably have USB ports though. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prov2727 said:

I'm sure that the Sun will have some US circuits. I was worried about charging my phone in my hotel (Melbourne) prior to the cruise. They will probably have USB ports though. Thanks for the help!

You will be quite safe at a Melbourne hotel to use their USB outlets, but just as a precaution, you should always use your own USB charger. The one in your travel adapter you bought will be fine.

The reason for this is that there have been reports of dodgy hotels stealing data from people who plug in their devices to charge but the port also has the capacity for data transfer from their device to the recipient of the USB port. Use the hotel USB ports to charge your headphones, powerbanks, etc.

• Thanks 1