Medallion Shenanigans

hpeabody

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, the anticipation DOES cause me anguish.  I track my medallion.  When it sits somewhere for days or goes in a circuitous route, I get frustrated with the process.  I find as I get older, it is harder for me to deal with ineptness of what should be such a simple task.  

Maybe I have too much time on my hands.  Maybe I am just overly excited about knowing the medallion takes me one step closer to leaving.  It doesn't matter.  This is how "I" feel.  Does it interfere with my mental state in the long run?  No....

You are fortunate that these hiccups don't bother you.  

No I don't get overly excited or obsess about the small stuff.  I am happy to pick up the medallion at the cruise terminal.   I have to admit, I don't understand your anguish, but if it is then it is.    I hope future deliveries work out for you.     

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

No I don't get overly excited or obsess about the small stuff.  I am happy to pick up the medallion at the cruise terminal.   I have to admit, I don't understand your anguish, but if it is then it is.    I hope future deliveries work out for you.     

My issue is with communication breakdowns. We ordered medallions and got e mail confirmation but no tracking info and the app now shows no medallion order but OR claims it should be delivered no later than today. Not holding my breath. If nothing show by Saturday I will be calling my CVP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

It may be inconsequential now but a few years ago before they started mailing to Canada the blue line in Vancouver was a mile long

That was one long line.  

Just now, ldubs said:

That was one long line.  

I had my medallion and was on board with no line. Folks in the blue line reported waits of up to an hour. Hopefully better now with mailing in Canada

My next cruises leave the end of September, 2025 and then the end of October, 2025. I've already ordered my Medallions and have order confirmation. 🤪

40 minutes ago, Thrak said:

My next cruises leave the end of September, 2025 and then the end of October, 2025. I've already ordered my Medallions and have order confirmation. 🤪

Oh I had order confirmation right after ordering but no tracking emails and as of yesterday no medallions 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

My issue is with communication breakdowns. We ordered medallions and got e mail confirmation but no tracking info and the app now shows no medallion order but OR claims it should be delivered no later than today. Not holding my breath. If nothing show by Saturday I will be calling my CVP

As I have posted in the past, I am a hit and miss computer operator (not skilled).  I was able to find the tracking number for my medallion.  I did set up an alert with informed delivery.  I did watch it sit and sit and move and sit, etc.  It actually arrived a day before I had anticipated it to be in my mailbox.

But I agree, it is the communications breakdowns that cause the issues.    It all began months ago when I tried to order the medallion on the app.  I couldn't cancel the order AFTER I found out they were going to charge me $10 for something that was supposed to be free.  Then I had to "call" to cancel.  

Agent canceled it then tried to order it a second time.  It came up with a $10 charge for him.  He had to cancel.  You would think IT would build in a button to cancel on the app....no, that would be too convenient.  Not an option on my iPhone app.

My critical thinking skills went into top mode.  Need to fix this...find a better resolution.  Called a third time.  Demanded (yes/pleaded) to speak to a Supervisor.  The agent was very patient and professional.  He asked me nicely to allow him to try one more time.  He fixed it by going through my travel mate's account.  

I am a natural born problem solver.  It's in my DNA to work on something until it is resolved.  That's where the frustration kicks in.  I don't have the patience or tolerance for idiocracy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, memoak said:

It may be inconsequential now but a few years ago before they started mailing to Canada the blue line in Vancouver was a mile long

We waited in a mile long queue in Vancouver pre-medallion days!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

We waited in a mile long queue in Vancouver pre-medallion days!

In Vancouver, if you don't wait in a mile long queue to check-in, you'll be waiting in a mile long queue for security and immigration.  The Canada Place is a cluster and I'm not sure why Vancouver thought it would be a good idea to mix a cruise terminal and a convention centre.  The check-in halls are the exhibition halls.

4 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

In Vancouver, if you don't wait in a mile long queue to check-in, you'll be waiting in a mile long queue for security and immigration.  The Canada Place is a cluster and I'm not sure why Vancouver thought it would be a good idea to mix a cruise terminal and a convention centre.  The check-in halls are the exhibition halls.

We didn’t realise there was a convention centre there. We were relieved to be on our way to another cruise so just chatted to others in the queue and the time passed quickly!

Well, yet another day, mail delivered, NO MEDALLION. No change in tracking status, still out for delivery Monday July 15th.  I visited my local post office today.  They have no answer and seem to be kind of uninterested and unconcerned.  I called Princess today to create a medallion order for pick up at the port.  So my plan failed.  I am not obsessed about having the medallion pre-cruise, it is just a nicety and what I was used to before these "Packages" that's all.  So, I hope to be getting mine with everyone else at the port.  It may be too late  THAT IS A BIG MAYBE!!!!   The off-shore people have no clue.  The most likely scenario is I will be given a temporary card to board the ship and then get a medallion on board.  I doubt I will try the shipping to home again, lesson learned, it is no big deal.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Our last cruise there in April the check in was downstairs at the CS level of the  convention center. We arrived around 2:00 and no lines anywhere. We have seen it down there and up in the exhibit halls seems to depend on how many ships were embarking 

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

Our last cruise there in April the check in was downstairs at the CS level of the  convention center. We arrived around 2:00 and no lines anywhere. We have seen it down there and up in the exhibit halls seems to depend on how many ships were embarking 

Most people don't think to arrive later rather than earlier like we do.

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Not worth the time and effort to call your CVP.  There is nothing they can do to get it shipped, track it, released from customs or found where it sits at a local post office.  They have no.secret code to find it.

As said, if it shows up great.  If not it takes a short amount of time to pick up at the port.  Last 2 times for us was 3 minutes and under 1 minute.  We don't bother ordering them any more.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

• Like 1

I've never arrived before noon, never understand it.  Thirty-some cruises and always feel what's the rush?  People seem stressed about it, I don't get the urgency.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not worth the time and effort to call your CVP.  There is nothing they can do to get it shipped, track it, released from customs or found where it sits at a local post office.  They have no.secret code to find it.

As said, if it shows up great.  If not it takes a short amount of time to pick up at the port.  Last 2 times for us was 3 minutes and under 1 minute.  We don't bother ordering them any more.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Today my wife’s medallion showed up but not mine    I am showing green lane on the app and email confirmation of shipping received but no medallion. I guess we will be in separate lanes

2 hours ago, SCX22 said:

We were on the Ruby in May '24.  We were in the blue lane.  This was one of the easiest and quickest embarkations we have had, we were on this ship in about 30 minutes.  We arrived shortly after 10 am.  This was our first cruise out of Vancouver and after reading about the horror stories I wasn't sure what to think.  We were the only ship in port that day, not sure if that had an impact on our experience.

17 minutes ago, helovestrains said:

This was one of the easiest and quickest embarkations we have had, we were on this ship in about 30 minutes.  We arrived shortly after 10 am.

That’s actually quite long.  In Europe, you can be onboard in 10 to 15 minutes when there’s no line that’s having to pick up Medallions.  Something is wrong in Vancouver and many US Ports.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sounds like the USPS more than anything to do with Princess...

BTDT.  Something I ordered for a Christmas gift arrived... in March!

I did want to say, there are reasons for wanting to board early.  Personal preference is just ONE of several...  We have never found it to be too big of an issue, just get to the port early.

No discussion is needed.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 4:04 PM, Teechur said:

Picking up the medallion at Southampton added possibly a whole extra minute to our check-in. If it doesn't show up in time, no worries.

Enjoy your cruise!

Concur!

Cheers

On 7/18/2024 at 11:01 PM, SCX22 said:

Another reason for Princess to stop Medallion shipment pre-cruise.  It creates unnecessary customer service issues.  If everyone just picked up at the port or if they were waiting in the cabins, this would be a non-issue.

People are going to bash about how this would slow down check-in.  My question is why are the European check-in agents so much more efficient than their counterparts elsewhere?.  In Europe (Southampton, Barcelona, Civitavecchia, and Piraeus), picking up Medallions adds but a minute, maybe less, to the check-in process.  If the Medallions were in people's cabins, it would add zero extra time to the check-in process.

Anyways, have a good cruise!

Just a thought. If as you say the medallions were in your cabin wouldn't you need a medallion to get into your cabin to get your medallion ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Just a thought. If as you say the medallions were in your cabin wouldn't you need a medallion to get into your cabin to get your medallion ?

Every other cruise line under the CCL umbrella leaves the cruise card at staterooms.  Royal Caribbean does this as well.  It's more efficient because the check-in agents aren't looking for a needle in haystack trying to find cruise cards at check-in.  People board using a QR code the first time they embark.  Princess has this capability because their App creates a Boarding Pass with a QR code and instructs people to have the QR code ready.  Except in Princess' case, the Boarding Pass and QR code are completely superfluous because they are never used.

• Like 1

Hope we get ours here in Canada before embarkation. According to Princess, we should get ours between 10 and 20 days prior to departure and we'e sailing on August 5th.