Bringing wine on board

LimeyUK

New to Celebrity and was wondering what their policy is on bringing bottles or wine/champagne on embarkation day.  We do have the Premium Beverage Package. 

• Like 1

Guests can bring up to two bottles of wine per stateroom at the beginning of the cruise. However, if the wine is consumed in a shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, there is a $25 corkage fee per bottle. Wines purchased from the Little Luxuries Collection are not subject to the corkage fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LimeyUK said:

New to Celebrity and was wondering what their policy is on bringing bottles or wine/champagne on embarkation day.  We do have the Premium Beverage Package. 

One 750ml bottle of wine for each person of legal age, 21 in the US.  

• Like 1

We recently did a Celebrity cruise.  We took 2 bottles on board and took them to the dining room.  They chilled them for us and served them to us.  We were not charged the corkage as we had a non alcoholic drinks package.

• Like 1

I had a argument with staff at Le Petit Chef who was trying to charge me corkage, we had premium package and was in a royal suite, had concierge remove the charge.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the responses.  Also we are in an Aqua class cabin - we get a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine - correct?

If you bottles have cork closures, you can either bring a corkscrew (in checked baggage, not carry-on) or your room attendant or any barkeeper can find one for you.

Personally, I've found the best solution of all is just to purchase wines with screw top closures, assuming the wine is one I would drink regardless of its closure. (Fun fact: natural cork closures are actually an inferior method compared to screw tops.)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

(Fun fact: natural cork closures are actually an inferior method compared to screw tops.)

While I'll agree that screw top closures are often not given their due for certain wines where significant aging is not desirable, that's certainly not the case for all wines.  A really good screw cap provides for no oxidation apart from what transpires due to the air in the neck of the bottle.  Cork, OTOH, isn't as forgiving of poor storage conditions, which is why wines that will benefit from the use of corks need to be 'cellared' properly.

Both methods are superior for some, and potentially inferior for others.  Each has its place and purpose.  Fun facts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

While I'll agree that screw top closures are often not given their due for certain wines where significant aging is not desirable, that's certainly not the case for all wines.  A really good screw cap provides for no oxidation apart from what transpires due to the air in the neck of the bottle.  Cork, OTOH, isn't as forgiving of poor storage conditions, which is why wines that will benefit from the use of corks need to be 'cellared' properly.

Both methods are superior for some, and potentially inferior for others.  Each has its place and purpose.  Fun facts.

I agree with everything you said. I have both extremes in my wine cellar. My comments were geared towards the types of wine people might pick up at the grocery store on the way to the cruise.

Fun fact: The "air in the neck" is called ullage.

3 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Guests can bring up to two bottles of wine per stateroom at the beginning of the cruise. However, if the wine is consumed in a shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, there is a $25 corkage fee per bottle. Wines purchased from the Little Luxuries Collection are not subject to the corkage fee.

Somewhat incorrect information. The policy is that each person of drinking age may bring a bottle onboard, if there are 4 people in one cabin, they can bring 4. Also if you have the premium beverage package they will not charge you the corkage fee if you bring it to any venue. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

My comments were geared towards the types of wine people might pick up at the grocery store on the way to the cruise.

Sorry - I missed that caveat when reading your post. (?)

34 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Somewhat incorrect information

A little confusion on this is to be understood. Royal limits to 2 bottles per stateroom, regardless of people in that stateroom. Celebrity does not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Somewhat incorrect information. The policy is that each person of drinking age may bring a bottle onboard, if there are 4 people in one cabin, they can bring 4. Also if you have the premium beverage package they will not charge you the corkage fee if you bring it to any venue. 

I copied it from Celebritys website.

2 hours ago, LimeyUK said:

Thank you for all the responses.  Also we are in an Aqua class cabin - we get a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine - correct?

You can switch the out sparkling wine for another of their wines if you want 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

I copied it from Celebritys website.

If you did a google search, you may have found an old policy from 2007. The current policy is here. I can say also that cruise documents generated today state the policy as 1 bottle per person of drinking age also.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/all-faqs

#beverage-packages

Edited by publicpersona

5 hours ago, publicpersona said:

If you bottles have cork closures, you can either bring a corkscrew (in checked baggage, not carry-on) or your room attendant or any barkeeper can find one for you.

Personally, I've found the best solution of all is just to purchase wines with screw top closures, assuming the wine is one I would drink regardless of its closure. (Fun fact: natural cork closures are actually an inferior method compared to screw tops.)

INDEED!

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

If you did a google search, you may have found an old policy from 2007. The current policy is here. I can say also that cruise documents generated today state the policy as 1 bottle per person of drinking age also.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/all-faqs

#beverage-packages

Thank you for the update.

19 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Do we just go to 1 of the bars and ask to exchange it?

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, LimeyUK said:

Do we just go to 1 of the bars and ask to exchange it?

You have to ask the stateroom attendant for the wine for a specific day. It won’t be automatically placed in your cabin. When you ask your stateroom attendant for the wine, request something different. 

Edited by Water_Baby_
Clarity

20 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We were in royal suite which gets a real bottle of champagne, we had concierge trade it for two bottles of decoy Cabernet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, George C said:

We were in royal suite which gets a real bottle of champagne, we had concierge trade it for two bottles of decoy Cabernet.

Not remotely the same as the sparkling wine included with Aqua. It'll likely be the same as the wine they give if you book on board the first day. You're not getting Decoy in exchange for the sparkling wine - at least not without paying for it.

• Thanks 1