Sleeping on Aeroplanes.

2 hours ago, Kristelle said:
2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Too many people loosen or remove their seat belts so they can get more comfortable. Big mistake!

Yes I do that.

If there is turbulence or something they will tell you if you have to have them on.

Kristelle, don't rely on being told in advance of turbulence. It can sometimes happen with no warning at all to the aircraft crew. Severe turbulence can cause massive injuries. I always keep my seatbelt fully fastened, even if it not comfortable.

This might give you some idea why:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-25/singapore-airlines-sq321-passengers-compensation-in-cabin-safety/103883404

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It irks me when people undo their belts as soon as the warning light goes off. Reason is, if they do fly out of their seats and hit the ceiling I don't want to be underneath when they drop back down. Imagine 100kg or more being dropped on your head.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 8

hmmm, I think unlikely events are unlikely. 

Risk management - if you want to keep your seat belt on at all times that's good - but I do not think it is dangerous to take it off when you are allowed to take it off and I'm ok doing that when it is a long flight and trying to sleep.

56 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

hmmm, I think unlikely events are unlikely. 

Risk management - if you want to keep your seat belt on at all times that's good - but I do not think it is dangerous to take it off when you are allowed to take it off and I'm ok doing that when it is a long flight and trying to sleep.

Flying back to Australia last month we encountered a lot of turbulence during the lights-out phase of the flight. Some of it came on very suddenly. If it had been any worse, the passengers who weren't wearing seatbelts would have been the ones rushed to hospital and claiming compo (if they survived). Even up the front in my suite, I still kept my belt on at all times and it never bothered me. At least I didn't have to worry about other pax landing on me. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

You have to wear a belt when in a vehicle travellingvat speeds up to 130kms/h (legally), why wouldn't you when travelling at 1000kms/hour.

If a car hits something when it's travelling at speed, a seatbelt can save your life. If a plane hits something at speed, it doesn't matter whether or not you are wearing a seatbelt.😁

However, I keep my seatbelt fastened when I am flying. For comfort when I want to sleep, I loosen it somewhat. One experienced pilot said it doesn't matter if the seatbelt is loose, as long as you are wearing one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A seat belt isn't designed to save your life, it is designed to keep you in your seat. Possibly saving your life or preventing a serious injury is just an added bonus. If a plane changes direction suddenly in any direction and you would not be in your seat, unless you are belted.

Seatbelts on planes are not there in case the plane hits something but to keep you in your seat in case of sudden direction changes.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

I slept on a plane from Singapore to London when we were bumped up to flat bed business from PE on British Airways. 5hrs and it was bliss. Can’t bring myself to pay for it though. 

I used a trtl neck brace thing last time we flew O/S and it really worked. I slept for about 4 hrs in a middle seat in Economy. 

Those are, unfortunately, the only times I have ever slept on a plane. Long haul flights are miserable usually. I’ll try the trtl thing again before I really recommend it - it might have been a fluke! I hope not.

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 5

We flew Auckland - Vancouver return in July 2023 on Air NZ

the flight left Auckland 8pm and got to Vancouver 2pm same day

going to Vancouver we had upgraded to the sky couch and it was 'ok'

all you're really paying for is the extra seat so 2 people can have a row of 3 seats between them. The seats were just the same as ordinary economy seats really and there was no way 2 slightly larger people could lie down comfortably.

Unfortunately on our flight we had a lot of kids who were quite 'vocal' which didn't help

I listened to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon on the plane, thinking that would help me sleep... but while listening to it I realised what a great album it was! LOL.

So we didn't get much sleep at all on the flight over, but surprisingly we both felt energized when we got to Vancouver...possibly to do with the excitement of being there?

during our stay in Vancouver we got an e-mail offering us the chance to bid for a PE upgrade for our return flight, which we did and our bid was accepted! We slept a lot better on the flight home

If we had the $$ we'd choose premium economy any day

We were also lucky that shortly after booking our cruise for December, Air NZ had a sale and we managed to get PE seats going to Sydney for not much more than economy, so that's all good 🙂

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

You have to wear a belt when in a vehicle travellingvat speeds up to 130kms/h (legally), why wouldn't you when travelling at 1000kms/hour.

It isn't for the speed, but the sudden deceleration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

It isn't for the speed, but the sudden deceleration.

It is actually for sudden movement of any direction including acceleration and deceleration. The point was that these can be more extreme at higher speeds.

• Like 4

I have perfected the art of sleeping on planes and usually fly economy.  It's a skill honed during a LGW-MEL flight sitting on a tailbone I'd broken a couple of days earlier.  My approach involves a fair amount of substance abuse so I don't recommend it to others!

I will, however, recommend bringing at least 2 different styles of pillow to maximise your choice of sleeping position.  I go with memory foam that clips around my neck and fastens to the headrest so I can't slump. And a regular small pillow.

Noise cancelling earbuds under noise cancelling headphones. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is actually for sudden movement of any direction including acceleration and deceleration. The point was that these can be more extreme at higher speeds

The seatbelt is for protection in turbulence. Like ships, planes can both roll, pitch and yaw, so you get unexpected movements in many directions. It's when there is a sudden change in air pressure that they can save you from broken bones or worse.  An "air pocket" (silly name) is actually clear-air turbulence (CAT). This is an area of rapidly changing air pressure that can cause sudden and sometimes quite violent movements in an aircraft. Don't blame pilots like me for not warning you, because they are often invisible to the naked eye, and can happen at any altitude without warning. Just wear the seatbelt as much as you can, so your head doesn't come into uncomfortably close contact with the ceiling or another passenger.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 7/22/2024 at 6:31 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

The most comfortable economy flights I ever did were on Emirates in 2017 with the aid of these items:

- a light tote bag (see photo below)

- an inflatable footrest

- an inflatable neck pillow

- noise cancelling headphones

- a white noise app on my phone

- a sleep mask

Before boarding the plane I put everything I would need on the flight into the tote bag and put that in the top of my carry-on.

Once at my seat I'd take the tote bag out of my carry-on and put my handbag in the carry-on and lock it, then it went on the luggage bin.

Once settled in my seat I'd take the headphones out of their carry-case, plus phone, kindle, charging cables etc, . Then I'd inflate the footrest to 1/2- 2/3, put it on top of anything else left in the tote bag, slide it under the seat in front and put my feet on top. 

When it was time to sleep, I'd inflate the neck pillow, switch to my white noise app, recline my seat, take my sleeping tablet, and put on my sleep mask. Because of the foot rest I ended up being able to stretch right out, at a slope of course, but it meant my knee wasn't locked in a sitting position so didn't seize up on me and I slept for several hours between Sydney and Dubai. That was almost a miracle! In fact I slept better on that economy flight than I did in Singapore Airlines business class last year as my legs were straight not bent.

GO travel folding tote bag

Screenshot_20240721_112056_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b438145588e260194e07b5e584dccf56.jpg

I've heard that most airlines have banned the footrests?

Posted (edited)
Just now, phoenixx said:

I've heard that most airlines have banned the footrests?

Why? 

Have they banned inflatable neck rests as well?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Just now, phoenixx said:

I don't know.

I'm not sure they'd even know mine was there unless they saw me inflating it as I put it inside my tote bag.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not sure they'd even know mine was there unless they saw me inflating it as I put it inside my tote bag.

They are always worried that any inflatable could get in the way of passengers trying to escape in an emergency.

20 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Are you able to show a pic of the one you have please and info as to where to buy it?

Many thanks

I had to fly to Dubai for work once. With Emirates in BC. Flight Attendant woke me up saying we're serving breakfast and will be landing soon. I said: Already! Only time I've ever not wanted to get off a plane. 

Got upgraded on Finnair once to BC, Singapore to Helsinki. Still couldn't sleep. Same with BGK to SYD on BA with lay flat seat. 

• Like 2

One of the best things I've discovered for sleeping on planes is the newer generation of neck pillows.  I started with the old fashioned blow-up kind. They puncture easily and become useless. Then i graduated to a full foam one. They work well but are big and a real nuisance to carry around.

Last year, I discovered the memory foam kind. Same size as the older foam ones, but they squeeze up into a small carry bag, and spring into shape once pulled out. Best $20 I ever spent.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/156276247010?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1